• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ixaera

ixaera does not break~

My office/computer room has a tall window and I'm totally ghetto-aesthetic and have a string of clear Christmas lights draped over the curtain bar and down the sides of the curtains so I may or may not be much help here~

I do find the light string adds a subtle AMBIANCE to the room though so there's that.  Lantern lights are cool too but these were cheap and yep.

• Like 2

I love how this has become an interior decoration thread :D

My cave is my entire apartment (studio), so definitely had to be creative to make it comfortable and functional with no clutter.  Pinterest, as many have said, and Apartment Therapy were my go-to.  

Hope tomorrow goes well :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, shaar said:

My office/computer room has a tall window and I'm totally ghetto-aesthetic and have a string of clear Christmas lights draped over the curtain bar and down the sides of the curtains so I may or may not be much help here~

I do find the light string adds a subtle AMBIANCE to the room though so there's that.  Lantern lights are cool too but these were cheap and yep.

At least 2 light strings will be involved, i like tiny lights they are the best. Thinking about doing something with hanging something drapey on the plain wall, with lights behind it maybe, and I'm going to use a pay service to turn hi-res video game art I like online into wrapped canvas art I can hang on that wall. FFXIV, DA:I, other favorite games will be involved. (I might just start with one to satisfy the goal, because one isn't super spendy, but eventually I want 4-7 in the room representing my favorite games out there.

Currently browsing ideas to replace the cheap curtain I have, which absolutely will be decorated with a tiny light string too because never too many tiny lights y'all

And if it comes out looking awkward or childish, well, maybe next time I do a sanctuary challenge I can address it then :P Or try another room before I screw up further. Seriously, it can't really look WORSE than it does now anyway

• Like 6

Don't worry about failure, just start looking for the specific pieces you'll put in the room. It's harder to imagine the abstract coming together and looking good until you have these pictures and this set of curtains, this paint color, and/or other accents assembled in front of you.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ixaera said:

And if it comes out looking awkward or childish, well

it doesn't matter because you'll love it anyway.

We have everything from original art to cheesy 90's photograhpy, Disney dishtowels to Star Trek Recruiting posters all over our house. There's a Hogwarts lamp, lightsaber nightlight, a wall of sword fighting equipment, and a collection of magnets from our travels on our fridge. It's an odd mismash of nerd, but it is our mismash and it makes this place our home.

Your mismash is going to make your room a home. I absolutely encourage you to embrace the games you love and display them proudly. It beats a "live, laugh, love" sign right into the dirt.

Sheer, drapey light things--I'd guess it costs maaaaaybe $75 to do if you have to buy lights

a5f23a99f27d279ea3a897dc1cc1e1a0.jpg

• Like 4

Zero week continues!

I have had a bit of a hard time getting back into Proper Fooding Mode from when I was literally bed bound. Mr Ix would just bring me something from wherever he went, and since I had a hard time getting anything out of the kitchen, that was a lot of just what I ate all day. Then, when I became more mobile and not so house bound I got overexcited about cookies and sugar (shark week is probably not helping) and I've had way too much of both and not enough protein :(

Today was my first cooked meal by me since The Big Ouch, though overall I did not do better. Groceries are incoming which will help. (The actual start of the challenge will also help.)

get-that-shit-out-of-my-face-vga-2012-co

I have walked 5500 steps today, the most since The Big Ouch by far. My back feels better in some ways today. Like, it's not overly sore just by existing. I have to actively lean over or something to feel soreness. The spazzy muscle got tired and sore today (I assume from a combo of continued nerve pinching and use?) but isn't spasming even on minimal (night time only) relaxers, so IMPROVEMENT! yay! But we knew it would get better eventually. There's one thing though, lately my back feels like... like if someone had taken it out and put it back in, but didn't put it in exactly right? Not pain, not soreness, just an odd wtf sensation, and not where the bulge is. IDK I will ask the person with the medical degree tomorrow. FINALLY.

I've been eyeballing neato light switch panels for the lady cave :) Thinking something to help make the room very Me.

Chores-wise I was better yesterday. Yesterday I did 2 chores, did a writing prompt and studied. Today I had a really tough work day (and it's not over! I'm on call and monitoring a night time maintenance thing to make sure Stuff Doesn't Break and I'll be up late). So I didn't do much besides cook and look at light switch panels and play some FFXIV. Maybe some Sims in a minute til the work thing happens.

Doctor tomorrow! Potential physical therapy answers! Potential when can I do normal lifts answers!

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, ixaera said:

I got overexcited about cookies and sugar

My life in a sentence. 

What sort of light switch panels?? Also woohoo for improvement. :) 

• Like 3

Hrrmmm, well back spasms are the body's way of protecting the area, so...between the disc bulge and that is what you're feeling? At any rate, improvement is good news, even if expected in some form. Let's ring in the rehab with the dinner bell. 

2 hours ago, Jonesy said:

My life in a sentence. 

What sort of light switch panels?? Also woohoo for improvement. :) 

I could live on choco chip cookies.

I'm looking at this one for one of them, and one of the similar ones for the other but haven't really decided:

http://www.switchhits.com/collection/classic-pewter/product/castle

I'm probably going to replace both light switches, and posssssibllyyyy the outlet covers too (maybe... or maybe just over time, like with the art).

1 hour ago, Urgan said:

Hrrmmm, well back spasms are the body's way of protecting the area, so...between the disc bulge and that is what you're feeling? At any rate, improvement is good news, even if expected in some form. Let's ring in the rehab with the dinner bell. 

The spasms were all in the low back to glutes (low back right near spine for the primary spasms, and when it was really bad the glutes were getting spasms too, multiple fun muscles). The off-feeling areas are in the mid-back and tailbone. vOv Right now it's just the tail bone but it might be how I'm sitting. I swear it presents like I'm princess with the pea, but the pea is in my back somewhere (and is probably disc-bulge shaped lol)

Glad you get to talk to a person with a medical degree today! Hopefully they have some helpful words of wisdom after all those years of training. 

Please make cookies and give us a status report. COOKIES. Almost as good as donuts. 

• Like 2

The doc's nurse/assistant talked to me about how I expected. She inspected my reflexes and talked lightly about the MRI (it's actually a tiny herniation on L5 S1, NOT a bulge at L4 L5, and arthritis). She said it's pretty minor so all that should be necessary is pain management, and she was very vague on how to go forward. She said that the doc does not approve of any back patients doing any type of deadlift or any leaning over exercise, which was discouraging to me. The list of exercises I got basically has only machine curls and extensions for legs (and one special type of leg press), and says "no deadlifts. no free squats or smith squats" ... well they don't have to worry about smith squats, anyway. :P

SO

I guess that means it's up to me. I'm a nerd. I can do this. I just have to move forward with common sense, do the thing, and listen to my body.

Currently, I continue to have issues (chairs hurt me), but I think I'm at least gym worthy for a few things. So I should start going back and getting back into some kind of routine.

For upper, I don't think I need to make many changes. What I'm doing there appears to be working and has never caused pain. I may revise my AMRAP policy to fewer sets in general though (just in case). For lower, right now I AM going to restrict to machines because of continued pain/discomfort, but I will not stay there.

Still figuring out what do with lower, but I think upper stuff will be fine. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, ixaera said:

and says "no deadlifts. no free squats or smith squats" ...

...welp, it was worth a shot. We know where they stand on the ladder of credibility. Not sure how they expect people to get stronger backs without training the back...sigh. Be interesting to see what you can tackle in the gym.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Urgan said:

...welp, it was worth a shot. We know where they stand on the ladder of credibility. Not sure how they expect people to get stronger backs without training the back...sigh. Be interesting to see what you can tackle in the gym.

Yeah :/ I'm definitely going to listen to the pain and stay away from painful things, but I should be ready to try things again sometime (hopefully soon? I sat in a mean chair today and it told me a story of ow). I understand the inclination to stay away (I'm sure plenty of patients would pay no attention to correct form and would actually invite new and exciting injuries), but it seems to me you want to adapt your hardware to heavy loads because then it can carry the load of your body well into old age... 

Whatever. I'm not ready to give up.

55 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Did you get to talk to the actual doctor?

No, it was a non-doctor. He has a nurse(?) (they didn't call her a nurse practitioner, so I dunno) that I guess helps him with his case load. I'm not peeved about it, she seemed like she knew how to read the MRI and she prescribed a couple of things to keep around in case of a new flare up. Which actually is pretty helpful because I'm going to be doing science to try to help matters and this could indeed lead to mistakes and flare ups...

I FORGOT TO ASK ABOUT CHAIRS.

(I actually really do need chair help... I literally cannot use the one in my home office anymore, it's a sure gateway to trouble. I'm thinking maybe converting to standing desk??)

• Like 1

Ignorance on the part of the patients, the doc's ignorance of training methodology and biomechanics (or else he wouldn't issue a blanket prohibition of strengthening the basic human movement of bending down and picking a load off the floor, for the love of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph), and a general desire to CYA come together to give us a model of rehab that invites weakness, degeneration, and in all likelihood future reinjury. The physical therapy approach to life, you're always clawing for baseline function.

Oh and may I suggest a cheap investment to make it possible to scale those machines better than 10lb increments? Magnets. They themselves weigh something and can be used to hold your fractionals if you get some that are strong enough. It's even more important than ever to scale that weight. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Ignorance on the part of the patients, the doc's ignorance of training methodology and biomechanics (or else he wouldn't issue a blanket prohibition of strengthening the basic human movement of bending down and picking a load off the floor, for the love of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph), and a general desire to CYA come together to give us a model of rehab that invites weakness, degeneration, and in all likelihood future reinjury. The physical therapy approach to life, you're always clawing for baseline function.

Oh and may I suggest a cheap investment to make it possible to scale those machines better than 10lb increments? Magnets. They themselves weigh something and can be used to hold your fractionals if you get some that are strong enough. It's even more important than ever to scale that weight. 

If it helps.. I have ignored all the times I've been told not to lift and I'm doing ok
(obviously I used common sense to get back into it gradually and always let pain be my guide). I have had 2 buggered discs (all around L5/S1) and a busted facet joint round the same level. I'm in much less pain these days because I got stronger.

Re: machines - you can also use a light resistance band and macguyver it. Gives a very smooth resistance curve and makes it lighter at your most vulnerable positions butstill challenging at lockout.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ixaera said:

The doc's nurse/assistant talked to me about how I expected. She inspected my reflexes and talked lightly about the MRI (it's actually a tiny herniation on L5 S1, NOT a bulge at L4 L5, and arthritis). She said it's pretty minor so all that should be necessary is pain management, and she was very vague on how to go forward. She said that the doc does not approve of any back patients doing any type of deadlift or any leaning over exercise, which was discouraging to me. The list of exercises I got basically has only machine curls and extensions for legs (and one special type of leg press), and says "no deadlifts. no free squats or smith squats" ... well they don't have to worry about smith squats, anyway. :P

Okay, so I'm not saying to do what I did but I worked with a physio with a fairly major L4/5 and slightly less major L5/S1 disc herniations. I didn't stop lifting fully at any point. The only time I gave up squats was when I had a massive glute injury. 

I did a lot of glute strengthening work, mostly Pilates-based, and I have an absolute ban on AMRAP work, but no ban on squats or deadlifts (actually, I did have a cut-down on the arch on bench for a while). I did and do have to keep my deadlift form a lot cleaner than most of my friends or I will pay for it for a couple of days.

Could you work with a physiotherapist with a proper sporting background to try to work around this?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

Okay, so I'm not saying to do what I did but I worked with a physio with a fairly major L4/5 and slightly less major L5/S1 disc herniations. I didn't stop lifting fully at any point. The only time I gave up squats was when I had a massive glute injury. 

I did a lot of glute strengthening work, mostly Pilates-based, and I have an absolute ban on AMRAP work, but no ban on squats or deadlifts (actually, I did have a cut-down on the arch on bench for a while). I did and do have to keep my deadlift form a lot cleaner than most of my friends or I will pay for it for a couple of days.

Could you work with a physiotherapist with a proper sporting background to try to work around this?

This resonates a lot with me.

My bench is probably the thing that hurts the most. And yes... if I round during a deadlift I'll be in agony for days.

Eventhoug it hurt a bit... I have never stopped lifting eother... it's more important for my mental health to be lifting.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Urgan said:

nice one. I like this plan~

3 hours ago, Blocky said:

If it helps.. I have ignored all the times I've been told not to lift and I'm doing ok

It definitely helps. Every person I hear with a similar issue past or present still lifting and progressing is encouragement.

2 hours ago, SpecialSundae said:

I have no idea how to go about that, or if I'm able to self-refer on my insurance. I am planning to check in with a medical massage guy that a few people I know rave about as a miracle worker, but I don't think that's quite the same deal. (I don't even know how to go about finding a reputable physio)

My bench only hurt when the spasms crapped all over my glutes last time and tweaked the right one really good. I don't appear to be hurting in quite the same spot and can arch normally, strangely enough vOv

But yeah, before it flared up this round, even those 65 lb deadlifts had my back talking a little. :/

What do you guys think of this McGill guy who is all over the internet when I research back stuff?

1 minute ago, ixaera said:

What do you guys think of this McGill guy who is all over the internet when I research back stuff?

Stu McGill has some solid stuff. It helps to know which way your disc has bulged/herniated - some of his stuff is direction specific. My last bulge was due to over arching when I unracked my weights - lying face down and pushing myself up on my hands opened the space upbetween the vertebra and reduce my symptoms considerably.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Blocky said:

Stu McGill has some solid stuff. It helps to know which way your disc has bulged/herniated - some of his stuff is direction specific. My last bulge was due to over arching when I unracked my weights - lying face down and pushing myself up on my hands opened the space upbetween the vertebra and reduce my symptoms considerably.

Can I tell just by looking at my MRI or is it more complicated than it seems? The woman I consulted with did say I could ask questions via email.... Also, this is slightly embarrassing because my herniation is SO SMALL you guys. Tiniest ever. I'm starting to think the majority of the pain must be actually the arthritis.

Anyway, I got back on the elliptical (my sedentary-prevention method of choice) today for the first time since the Big Ouch. Went okay. Felt like I had some rocks in my right butt cheek (but no pain, just tightness), and when I was done it was extra sore there. But no pain, which is encouraging. I kept it to low resistance and only half an hour (normally I would do an hour on a Saturday because Why Not, but didn't want to jump right into that).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ixaera said:

Can I tell just by looking at my MRI or is it more complicated than it seems? The woman I consulted with did say I could ask questions via email.... Also, this is slightly embarrassing because my herniation is SO SMALL you guys. Tiniest ever. I'm starting to think the majority of the pain must be actually the arthritis.

I totally get you were in a ton of pain and it doesn't LOOK like it should hurt that bad from the imaging, but remember the human body does not necessarily behave directly in proportion to how things look. You can have a clean MRI and hurt really badly, look really F'd up and not hurt at all (because bipedal spines are weird). Doesn't matter re: how seriously we take your situation--except that it's good you aren't dealing with a disc more out from under the vertebrae above it than not, because those are as I understand just about the worst thing an intact vertebrae can do. So let's broom this idea that your issue is not worth taking seriously. Maybe it's just the herniation, maybe it's that plus the muscular issues you describe in the next paragraph? Time will tell. 

1 hour ago, ixaera said:

Anyway, I got back on the elliptical (my sedentary-prevention method of choice) today for the first time since the Big Ouch. Went okay. Felt like I had some rocks in my right butt cheek (but no pain, just tightness), and when I was done it was extra sore there. But no pain, which is encouraging. I kept it to low resistance and only half an hour (normally I would do an hour on a Saturday because Why Not, but didn't want to jump right into that).

Small wonder you have glute tension after being forced to adopt whatever position was least painful. Something gotta give. But yay for moving and not hurting. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Blocky said:

This.

This helps me a LOT when I have pain.  Similar to Cobra pose in yoga, I think. 

Also dead hangs or partial dead hangs from a doorway.  Also - seconding Urgan.  Your pain is worth taking seriously.  And if the bulge is brushing against a nerve even a tiny bit, the pain is exquisite. Doesn't matter how small it is.  Pain is pain. 

• Like 4