• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ixaera

ixaera does not break~

20 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

This.

This helps me a LOT when I have pain.  Similar to Cobra pose in yoga, I think. 

Also dead hangs or partial dead hangs from a doorway.  Also - seconding Urgan.  Your pain is worth taking seriously.  And if the bulge is brushing against a nerve even a tiny bit, the pain is exquisite. Doesn't matter how small it is.  Pain is pain. 

Do you continue to have a lot of problems with sitting in public places? Also, what the heck am I supposed to do at places that only have hard plastic or wooden chairs? D:

Mr Ix suggest I "bring a pillow" but the mental image of me going everywhere with a big pillow in tow seemed ridiculous... (Plus the pillows only help a tiny bit, so it's not really worth the trouble)

Not much anymore, although for a year I took a cylinder pillow places.

Now, I only hurt if I sit in a backless chair for a long time (but my disc is completely gone, they took it out and left scar tissue as a replacement disc). I believe that strengthening my back will continue to help, but also paying attention to posture. 

The PT stuff (Cobra and dead hangs) helped, and also at the time of injury I was incredibly careful picking stuff up off the floor. 

Immediately after surgery, I used to set a timer for 55 minutes, and get up and walk, do PT.  They said do PT once per day, and I did it like 12 times.  I owned that crap.  Usual n= 1, I'm not a doctor, etc...

• Like 2

Honestly... my back still hurts if I sit for too long. I do what I can to stand as much as possible. I also still get quite stiff and painful when waking. I do use a lumbar support when driving the wife's car (her seats are weird).

• Like 1

I'm finding that kind-of-laying propped up with my feet up is mostly fine feeling. It's how I've been playing games and working in lieu of sitting in a chair. Hanging is awfully nice, cobra feels uncomfortable (not painful or anything) but I do it anyway. So far the best thing was Saturday's elliptical. It really did a lot of good, so I'm going to work to fit that in as much as possible.

Plans going forward are more research, more doing things that probably help or definitely help, getting a standing desk conversion prop for my home office (later, one for work... I doubt they will pay for it) and eventually a more supportive chair also (but I only have so much disposable income, the standing desk thing was the cheaper and possibly healthier option). I'm looking at a coccyx pillow too, because the majority of the pain seems to be when I have a lot of pressure from sitting on my tailbone. (Maybe that's the arthritis talking? dunno)

Anyway, what a week zero! I accomplished my one goal, which was to clean the master bathroom. It smells nice and is clean and shiny now. 

LET US BEGIN~

PS, first gym visit (for weights) since the Big Ouch tomorrow. 

• Like 9

8 hours ago, ixaera said:

8 hours ago, RedStone said:

YAY! Rooting for you!!!! <3 <3 <3

GET IT. Bro day incoming~

• Like 1

First day back at the gym didn't have anything that should aggravate lower back, but I must have overdone it (with sitting possibly? or cleaning maybe? maybe one of my back exercises isn't great for my particular case?) on Sunday and my awesome back feelings degraded overnight into something way less good when I woke up (but no spasms, small favors, just nasty aches). 

Just handling the dumbbells and getting a bar in the cradle of the bench was a challenge today, but I left the same as I went in, am home working and have taken a muscle relaxer and iced my back. Hopefully the fresh aches are fleeting.

Am thinking it was wise to leave off lifts and such for grading this challenge.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, ixaera said:

I saw your Instagram post and my first thought was, OOOh she better be cleared for that. :) 

• Like 1

HELLO

IT IS WEEK ONE DAY ONE

I DID THINGS

giphy.gif

Fruits & Vegetables

In order of appearance

Kale (probably less than a serving, because too much makes the egg whites weird)

Banana

Sweet potato #1

Sweet potato #2

Carrots

Strawberries

HOW BOUT ALL THAT POTASSIUM

Water

I was home today so I just got out a normal glass and made sure I refilled it 5x, for well over goal. I am so hydrated right now.

Chores

Done. Load of laundry, dishes, and some mail sorting and responding.

This week's house goals:

1. Sweep & mop entryway

2. Clear dining table

Decor upgrade:

Will be purchasing 2x light panels (after payday)

Other Ix Happenings

Bench Day! It happened!

My back was so mad this morning :( I almost didn't go, but I was so ready to be back at it that I just decided to feel it out, even if I had to leave as soon as I got there... and I'll admit it was a close thing. I had to move a bar to the cradle and I kept it close to my body, but it was tricky manuevering it off of the other bench (which I don't use because I can't lower the cradle enough for my wider grip bench press, I only use those benches for close grip). I did feel it tag me in the lower back a couple of times. Then moving dumbbells around was felt, and I couldn't just sit up with the skull crusher bar like normal, I had to dump it instead before I could get up. :(

That said, my back was not a factor in any exercise, so all else went well.

Bench press

1x5 45 lbs

1x5 60 lbs

5x5 75 lbs

Worried over my chosen reset weight, but it turned out to be just right. Challenging, but not too much so. Someday I'll figure out how to arch my back more (and then not lose what little arch I manage when I get the weight up).

Seated DB Press

1x5 24 lbs

3x8 30 lbs

Not switching back to barbell & standing just yet :/

DB Bench Press

3x8 40 lbs

DB Flies

1x8 24 lbs

2x10 24 lbs

EZ Bar Skullcrushers

3x10 29 lbs

Seated DB curl (both at the same time)

3x8 24 lbs (12 each hand)

Originally planned to elliptical after work, but it didn't happen. My back was just so angry, that I just rested it and got up every hour or so to do stretches and walk around (used the time to do a chore or something).

In other news, I took a relaxer after I got back from the gym, started working, which today involved some pretty snooze-worthy "training" and ... I accidentally fell asleep (the relaxers cause drowsiness, but I'd gotten used to it before, guess I went off of them for just long enough to re-snooze :S oops)

OOPS. But luckily, I did not miss anything. No one urgently needed me during those minutes. PHEW.

Anyway, it's 7:30, I have hit protein and calorie goals and I've spent an hour or so exploring in No Man's Sky, so now I'm going to do a short study session and then maybe Dun Scaith. (FFXIV.)

• Like 8

You played it smart, which is smart. You got some weights in and then gave your back some rest by not doing elliptical. Smart people are smart! And heal faster. ;) 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Yay gym day and no dying happened. How are you doing so far today?

Slept like the dead, back is somewhat better than yesterday but still worse than Saturday, so I'm working from home as an opportunity to avoid chairs and using my lunch break to do half an hour on the elliptical since things felt like a million bucks last time I did that. There's a cat on my foot. I enjoy cat foot.

Failure #3 on banana egg pancakes. I might just not be cut out for fancy cooking. (They're so tasty though...)

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Failure #3 on banana egg pancakes. I might just not be cut out for fancy cooking. (They're so tasty though...)

What about baking them in a muffin tin? You could even use a jumbo muffin pan so they are wider and more pancake like. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Ugly is not failure. Gross is failure. Fact.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Only way I've successfully done the banana pancake (and honestly, they were more like crepes) was baked in the over on a slipat. and yes... they're like these tropical little wonders... we rolled up fruit in them lol

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

What about baking them in a muffin tin? You could even use a jumbo muffin pan so they are wider and more pancake like. 

2 minutes ago, RedStone said:

Only way I've successfully done the banana pancake (and honestly, they were more like crepes) was baked in the over on a slipat. and yes... they're like these tropical little wonders... we rolled up fruit in them lol

HMMM (And yes! Like crepes! so good... I put almond butter on 'em)

hmmmmm

I'll try things. They're too tasty to stop trying

6 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Ugly is not failure. Gross is failure. Fact.

Indeed! It would be better without the burned crispy bits though... and if I stopped caking burned banana in hideous amounts on the pan XD

I have a microwave omelet thing I might try for it next. If that's a bust, I may try them as muffins in my silicone muffin dish. Then I will try a silpat (i'd have to buy one) but last only because Mr Ix has this thing against non stick things. They all cause cancer, you see. All of them, even if you treat the dish well. These are conversations I just try to avoid, because they always end with him annoyed and me pointing out that he isn't going to ever eat a banana egg pancake anyway, and him pointing out that he doesn't want me to die of cancer, which is sweet, but it's far more likely that I'll outlive him by 30 years (all the women in my family live forever).

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, ixaera said:

I have a microwave omelet thing I might try for it next. If that's a bust, I may try them as muffins in my silicone muffin dish. Then I will try a silpat (i'd have to buy one) but last only because Mr Ix has this thing against non stick things. They all cause cancer, you see. All of them, even if you treat the dish well. These are conversations I just try to avoid, because they always end with him annoyed and me pointing out that he isn't going to ever eat a banana egg pancake anyway, and him pointing out that he doesn't want me to die of cancer, which is sweet, but it's far more likely that I'll outlive him by 30 years (all the women in my family live forever).

My answer to people who tell me things I do are going to give me cancer is to say that I'm going to die before cancer kills me so let me have my plastic tupperware goddmanit. But this is probably not true for everyone. 

I do have some glass tupperware, but it's a slow growing collection because it is expensive. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Does he microwave Styrofoam containers?

Not in a million years (he's fairly consistent). He transfers leftovers to a microwave safe (glass) dish first.

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

My answer to people who tell me things I do are going to give me cancer is to say that I'm going to die before cancer kills me so let me have my plastic tupperware goddmanit. But this is probably not true for everyone. 

I do have some glass tupperware, but it's a slow growing collection because it is expensive. 

I have half plastic, half glass. I'm the only one that touches the plastic, unless all the glass is in use, then he'll sigh, suck it up, and use a plastic one. He has previously lobbied that we should replace our existing plastic with more glass. I have a set of those plastic to go type plastic containers (think, like, the dishes won ton soup end up delivered in) that are "microwave safe" (probably only in the sense that they don't melt in there) and I get the Major Frown Face whenever I freeze broth in them :)

• Like 3

On 2/10/2017 at 1:51 PM, ixaera said:

The doc's nurse/assistant talked to me about how I expected. She inspected my reflexes and talked lightly about the MRI (it's actually a tiny herniation on L5 S1, NOT a bulge at L4 L5, and arthritis). She said it's pretty minor so all that should be necessary is pain management, and she was very vague on how to go forward. She said that the doc does not approve of any back patients doing any type of deadlift or any leaning over exercise, which was discouraging to me. The list of exercises I got basically has only machine curls and extensions for legs (and one special type of leg press), and says "no deadlifts. no free squats or smith squats" ... well they don't have to worry about smith squats, anyway. :P

SO

I guess that means it's up to me. I'm a nerd. I can do this. I just have to move forward with common sense, do the thing, and listen to my body.

Currently, I continue to have issues (chairs hurt me), but I think I'm at least gym worthy for a few things. So I should start going back and getting back into some kind of routine.

For upper, I don't think I need to make many changes. What I'm doing there appears to be working and has never caused pain. I may revise my AMRAP policy to fewer sets in general though (just in case). For lower, right now I AM going to restrict to machines because of continued pain/discomfort, but I will not stay there.

Still figuring out what do with lower, but I think upper stuff will be fine. 

I did this too.  I've spent the last 5 years figuring out what I can and can't do.  But I did nothing the first 3 months after I did my injury.  You need a good PT, demand your spine Doc gives you a referral.  

On 2/10/2017 at 3:58 PM, Urgan said:

Ignorance on the part of the patients, the doc's ignorance of training methodology and biomechanics (or else he wouldn't issue a blanket prohibition of strengthening the basic human movement of bending down and picking a load off the floor, for the love of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph), and a general desire to CYA come together to give us a model of rehab that invites weakness, degeneration, and in all likelihood future reinjury. The physical therapy approach to life, you're always clawing for baseline function.

I've run into this too.  When I pulled my lumbar... the ER doc didnt know what squats were.  The nurse and I looked at each other dumbfounded.  

On 2/10/2017 at 4:12 PM, Blocky said:

If it helps.. I have ignored all the times I've been told not to lift and I'm doing ok
(obviously I used common sense to get back into it gradually and always let pain be my guide). I have had 2 buggered discs (all around L5/S1) and a busted facet joint round the same level. I'm in much less pain these days because I got stronger.

Me too.  I have learned to recognize the signs that I'm in trouble and need to back off.  Like loss of strength in a leg, loss of strength in a big toe,  unusual pains in the groin areas (and more painfully, the family jewels,)  pains/tightness in the IT band areas, etc.  Now, I hardly ever experience these things even though I more or less lift "normally."  

Bottom line...  you may not want to risk reinjury and curtail your PL/SM career, but you can still happily and safely lift if you correct the underlining mobility problems.  

• Like 7