• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ixaera

ixaera does not break~

5 hours ago, Br0din said:

You need a good PT, demand your spine Doc gives you a referral.

I will, I'm convinced. I need to ask them what direction the herniation is in anyway, so two birds, one stone.

5 hours ago, Br0din said:

I have learned to recognize the signs that I'm in trouble and need to back off.  Like loss of strength in a leg, loss of strength in a big toe,  unusual pains in the groin areas (and more painfully, the family jewels,)  pains/tightness in the IT band areas, etc.

Yeah, I was having all kinds of signs and signals I did not recognize before it happened. The Monday before, I put 139 lbs on my back to squat and was having some buckling in my right leg/buttock area (so I didn't squat it). I was having random toe pain that I thought was from lunges until it mysteriously didn't appear after every lunge session, then I thought it was lunges + shoes, but the pain never lasted a normal amount of time, but I just wrote it off. (Doc told me that pain in the top of the big toe was definitely a sign of trouble in the L5 S1 area in my case.) Then some come-and-go angries in the glutes, then crisis, and here we are now, 3 weeks in and still not really able to do chairs for much time at all. (I realized it has only been 3 weeks today, and I was shocked because it feels like an eternity has passed, you guys.)

So far the best pain relief has been some light elliptical (not the twisty kind) for about half an hour. It kind of feels like my tailbone is trying to leave my body at the time (not painful, just odd and uncomfortable), but about an hour later I feel like I have a new back.

• Like 3

So it turns out that your sciatic nerve runs all the way down to your big toe.  If you are losing strength or having numbness in one or both,  it's likely that your herniated disk is pressing on your spinal cord, blocking the connectivity to your toe (or other parts.)  

it basically this test

Image result for toe test for sciatic nerve

except directly on the toe.  Have some one hold the toe in place and try to but pressure against the hold, if you can't hold of there is noticeable difference in strength between sides, you have a problem.  

I'll take things I wish I knew 5 years ago for $2000, Alex...

• Like 5

Also, after you talk to your PT,  lets compare notes on what they have you do.  I'm obviously not a PT, so I don't want to corrupt your thinking, but I'm interested to know what they say.  

• Like 2

Daily check-in~

Fruits & Vegetables

In order of appearance

Banana

Broccoli

Sweet Potato

Carrot

Strawberry

A rare event for me. Instead of scrapping my protein goal when I oopsed a half a bag of candy hearts, I went over on calories just to get protein. Good job, priorities.

Water

Probably close to 60 oz again today

Chores

Done. Struggled with whether to count cooking as a chore, since my focus was "house stuff" but it's totally a chore. I cooked, I cycled dishes, and did more laundry (I hate laundry so I spread it out over the week in small manageable chunks)

This week's house goals:

1. Sweep & mop entryway

2. Clear dining table

Decor upgrade:

Will be purchasing 2x light panels (after payday)

I hit the elliptical for 30 min today on low again. My back is angry again, and once more it was a magic pill. Tomorrow morning is a bro day in the gym, so here's hoping for good rest and a cooperative lumbar.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, ixaera said:

A rare event for me. Instead of scrapping my protein goal when I oopsed a half a bag of candy hearts, I went over on calories just to get protein. Good job, priorities.

WELL DONE INDEED. I want to be you when I grow up <3

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Cooking might be fun but it is totally a chore.

I'm that sad fool who does not find cooking fun :(

Luckily, I own an instant pot and have a couple of years under my belt of figuring out easy-but-still-delicious healthy staples.

2 hours ago, Koaladle said:

Gusteau1.jpg

Oh man, I loooove Ratatouille! 

1 hour ago, RedStone said:

WELL DONE INDEED. I want to be you when I grow up <3

Let me tell you... I have maybe done this one or two other times... after 10 years of on/off dieting, it is super hard to de-prioritize the calorie goal in favor of something else. The irrational but tiny voice in the back of my head that says "but you will be 30 lbs heavier tomorrow" never goes away :|

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Br0din said:

When I pulled my lumbar... the ER doc didnt know what squats were.  The nurse and I looked at each other dumbfounded. 

I..... wait what

giphy.gif

This makes me The Sad, it's ok if you don't do them, but as a DOCTOR THIS IS A FUNDAMENTAL HUMAN MOTION WE ALL do at some point in our lives!!?!?!>tkhjfdsddd

20 minutes ago, ixaera said:

I'm that sad fool who does not find cooking fun :(

Luckily, I own an instant pot and have a couple of years under my belt of figuring out easy-but-still-delicious healthy staples.

Mostly the same.  Save me, crockpot.

The pancakes can look like poop if they are tasty!!!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, shaar said:

Should not, however, be taken as a challenge. Lol.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, shaar said:

INDEED. Alas, I ran out of eggs, so I had a smoothie this morning instead. 

This is me (without the babbies)

Cr9HZQQWAAAwKpR.jpg

and I might need more than 6

65758770.jpg

or 4. or 5.

(Thanks to TWO different challenges this month, I constantly have the gaston song stuck in my head. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE.)

20 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Should not, however, be taken as a challenge. Lol.

If I did, this would be the day they came out looking perfect, instead.

9 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

That's interesting that the elliptical is a problem solver for your back. Very curious.

The one doc recommendation that isn't bullshit! I dunno WHY it works so well, but I read something about the lubrication of the disc area I dunno it sounds weird and I'm not a doc but I experienced improvement this morning, so I'm going back after work (hoping to go over lunch break but damn work is keeping me busy today).

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, ixaera said:

The one doc recommendation that isn't bullshit! I dunno WHY it works so well, but I read something about the lubrication of the disc area I dunno it sounds weird and I'm not a doc but I experienced improvement this morning, so I'm going back after work (hoping to go over lunch break but damn work is keeping me busy today).

This is one case where you take a page from Nike and Just Do It. We can hypothesize as needed. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, ixaera said:

(Thanks to TWO different challenges this month, I constantly have the gaston song stuck in my head. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE.)

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT?!?

30 minutes ago, Br0din said:

The real hero of that movie.

Image result for gaston funny

Related image

• Like 2

Here's yesterday's check in :)

Fruits & Vegetables

In order of appearance

Apple

Kale (<1 serving)

Romaine

Avocado

More kale (my broccoli was bad)

Banana

Weak on the veggies yesterday, but the avocado (I know it's a fruit) possibly evens things out a bit.

Water

Exceeded goal again :)

Chores

Weak on chores. I did some laundry again and went through some old mail (I'm bad at mail, you guys). I did pay bills though, so I'll call it even.

This week's house goals:

1. Sweep & mop entryway

2. Clear dining table

Decor upgrade:

Will be purchasing 2x light panels (after payday)

Busy workday followed by Mr Ix wanting to binge on Travelers (I like this show yep). I did get on the elliptical in the afternoon and once again, There Be Improvement. Sleeping on side is uncomfortable on my spine even with the pillow between my legs, not sure why. On my back my cat decides to sleep on my tummy, which does make my back ache more. No kitty, you are not helping D: 

I also did a sort of back/abs day that I want to adjust a bit. A bro day for sure, no compound lifts here.

Wide grip lat pulldown

3x8 70 lbs

Hammer Strength Lateral Row

3x8 60 lbs

(This one supports the chest and is upright. I'd prefer the T-bar row for spine support but my arms are too short to reach the bar on the one at this gym. Woe.)

Suppinated Pulldown

3x8 70 lbs

DB Row

3x8 25 lbs

(This one tagged my low back during set up more than I'd like. I might just do more volume on the hammer strength machine, or see how the cable one feels?)

Hanging leg raise

3x12 bodyweight

Felt fine, but later I read something suggesting that all hinge movements were iffy? I am not sure if I should change to something else on this principle.

Hyperextensions

Tested a set at bodyweight, then scrapped. Nope.

Ended up pretty short, so there's room for alteration and volume. I want to add core activation warm ups per Br0din's post to all days >.> It's gonna happen.

SLJ.gif

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, calanthrophy said:

CG_ljaAWwAEXILY.jpg

I laughed so hard! It's so true. I'm not only on the "really" side of really short, I have reduced wingspan proportionally to my height (57" wingspan, 59.5" height), sigh. I can't use the preacher curl seat thing, either, because of it!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ixaera said:

I laughed so hard! It's so true. I'm not only on the "really" side of really short, I have reduced wingspan proportionally to my height (57" wingspan, 59.5" height), sigh. I can't use the preacher curl seat thing, either, because of it!

I can't reach the preacher curl either. I only tried them for the first time a couple of weeks ago because the gym I was using for a fluff and pump session had one and 1. totally couldn't reach the bar without some serious manoeuvring and 2. could basically only curl the bar (as I was doing sets of 20 and the next step up was adding 5kg/11lb).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SpecialSundae said:

I can't reach the preacher curl either. I only tried them for the first time a couple of weeks ago because the gym I was using for a fluff and pump session had one and 1. totally couldn't reach the bar without some serious manoeuvring and 2. could basically only curl the bar (as I was doing sets of 20 and the next step up was adding 5kg/11lb).

I tried to use the one at my bro gym, hilariously I couldn't even touch the bar. But, hmm, now that I'm thinking about it and don't have barbell brain, maybe I could grab it before I sit down and hoist it over the pad maybe? Experimentation needed.......

Sadly, I don't think anything will save me with the T-bar thing, short of someone just grabbing the bar and raising it up for me on the first rep. 

No one ever thinks of the little people when designing these devices!

• Like 1

Thursday Check in

Fruits & Vegetables

In order of appearance

Carrots

Hummus

Kale (a lot this time)

Strawberries

Potato

Greek salad (so lettuce, kalamata olives, tomato, bell pepper actually I probably avoided the bell pepper)

Honestly overate today, am super duper full, but that Greek restaurant was worth it

Water

Just hit

Chores

Washed the sheets, went through more old mail, cleaned up some cat puke

This week's house goals:

1. Sweep & mop entryway

2. Clear dining table

Decor upgrade:

Will be purchasing 2x light panels (after payday) <-- need to do this, keep forgetting

BUSY workday, tedious too, on top of also being available on these client calls to speak for what I found on technical issues. Ate a cookie for breakfast though, so overall a wash of a day.

Sat in a hard wooden chair at the restaurant and WOE

but no spasms at least woohoo

Tomorrow is bench intensity day :) Not setting any PRs since I was out 2 weeks and am resetting, but going for a 5x3 at 85. Trying more variations on my bro lifts to see what makes my back happiest. 

• Like 7