• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

miss_marissa

Miss Marissa embraces new territory

153 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Saturday: went to Olympic lifting class in the morning. Still learning a lot. Worked up to 27kg on Snatch, 32 kg on clean and jerk and then did clean pulls where I was just. not. getting. it. 

Me: *lifts the weight*

@maigrey and everyone else: "no you're deadlifting it"

me: "I don't understand the difference"

me: *lifts it again but doesn't lock out*

everyone: "no, you're still not doing it. You just did a deadlift and didn't lock out"

me: "fuck it"

Im curious about this...did they try to explain the difference?

I was always told its a slight difference in how you initiate and bar path. Basically for a clean pull, the whole goal is to get the bar into position for the second pull so you get the knees out of the way faster than deadlift so that you can drive correctly for second pull and that allows the bar to curve into your hips. Deadlift, the knees engage a bit later and the bar takes a more vertical path. These are the very technical things that Oly lifts have the PL doesn't which is why I think its so hard.

Heres a good side by side video that explains exactly what I just said. Its still pretty hard to see/implement the difference especially if all you've ever done is DL pulls.

17 minutes ago, ArgSki77 said:

Im curious about this...did they try to explain the difference?

I was always told its a slight difference in how you initiate and bar path. Basically for a clean pull, the whole goal is to get the bar into position for the second pull so you get the knees out of the way faster than deadlift so that you can drive correctly for second pull and that allows the bar to curve into your hips. Deadlift, the knees engage a bit later and the bar takes a more vertical path. These are the very technical things that Oly lifts have the PL doesn't which is why I think its so hard.

Heres a good side by side video that explains exactly what I just said. Its still pretty hard to see/implement the difference especially if all you've ever done is DL pulls.

I was exaggerating mostly. They explained it but I just wasn't getting it.

I seemed to get it when doing actual cleans, but not just the pull.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, miss_marissa said:

Saturday: went to Olympic lifting class in the morning. Still learning a lot. Worked up to 27kg on Snatch, 32 kg on clean and jerk and then did clean pulls where I was just. not. getting. it. 

Me: *lifts the weight*

@maigrey and everyone else: "no you're deadlifting it"

me: "I don't understand the difference"

me: *lifts it again but doesn't lock out*

everyone: "no, you're still not doing it. You just did a deadlift and didn't lock out"

me: "fuck it"

'dis me

How I think about it:

In a deadlift, when the bar is at your hips, the lift is finished.

In a clean, when the bar is at your hips, the lift is just starting.

Another way I look at it is if I start with the bar at my hips and my hips locked out and break the hips just a little bit and enter a "power" position and let the bar come down ever so slightly, that is the finish position.  So you can find it from the top.

But I still don't get it.

2 people like this