• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

miss_marissa

Miss Marissa embraces new territory

222 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

My first reaction is that it's weird to me that an author who created a diet that severely limits your food then go on to state that there are no bad foods.

But the more I think about my experiment with no/limited dairy I realize that it didn't teach me that dairy is bad. But it taught me that there are lots of different ways to approach my cooking. The way I approach recipe selection now is entirely different. It changed the way I view food. If I don't need dairy to create a recipe I thought required it, what other ways of cooking food might I be able to change? I feel a lot more in control of my diet/food now than I did before. I'll be curious what you write up about Whole 30 but I feel like one of the strong suits of Whole 30 is it teaches you how to control your food and not let your food control you. 

51 minutes ago, ArgSki77 said:

I had a similar reaction to MM's instagram post when I first saw it. And its interesting because I feel like I see this pattern a lot with people who are involved in these more restrictive diets. I remember listening to a podcast with someone big into Paleo(name is escaping me) and it almost seemed like their attitude changed throughout. Like it started with here is how Paleo benefits and the "science" behind it and all the numerous reasons why you should go Paleo. But then all of a sudden, she was like "well if you find you process dairy well then you can add dairy and if you process legumes well you can add that back in". By the time she was done with the possible altercations, that diet did not seem very paleo anymore.

To me, it basically all boils down to cutting out processed crap in favor of real whole foods. Whether I get there by eating strict paleo or keto or enter diet here, the end goal seems to be the same. Sure, I could start using coconut milk instead of dairy milk or almond flour instead of wheat flour but those exchanges always seem minuscule compared to the decision, say, to eat a bowl of berries rather than a bowl of ice cream for the reasoning that berries are paleo and ice cream is not. Thats a healthier swap regardless of the diet choice. 

That's kind of the point of the Whole 30 though is that it's not a "restrictive diet" or "Paleo" (well.. it is Paleo... but I hope what I'm about to say will clarify this statement). It's a 30 day experiment. Remove foods that commonly give people issues for 30 days, and add them back in systematically to determine if those foods still work for you or not. Are they "worth it" or are the "healthy" for you. Not choosing foods simply because they're paleo or not or healthy or not. It's habit change and reframing how you view food absolutely. You both nailed it. It's about choosing options that are healthier for you, because you now have this clinical data, sample size 1, to back up your choices.

7 people like this

Adding to the W30 mindset changes: it's also designed to break the back of a sugar and carb habit, and that - at least for me - it did spectacularly.

Pre-W30, I ate Paleo but my meal thinking still included meat, starch & some kind of veg. I was absolutely convinced that every meal needed some filler - even after eating Paleo for a couple years.

After W30(s), my mindset has shifted. During my first two, white potatoes were out for me and sweet potatoes were limited during the first (white potatoes used to be a huuuuge trigger food for me), and this forced mindfulness made me change how I see my plate and what's possible. Spoiler: one won't die of starvation if they don't eat a starch with every meal (despite what my raccoon brain says) - veggies can be filling.

I went into my first W30 not thinking I had a sugar habit at all since I've never really been into sugary things ... boy, was I wrong. It reset my tastebuds with a vengeance.

While I'm still surprised at how many things in the world are too sweet, I feel like I now have some mechanism for helping decide what is going to be too sweet and what is not, and the balance to say no to things I know are going to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 people like this

1 hour ago, darkfoxx said:

I went into my first W30 not thinking I had a sugar habit at all since I've never really been into sugary things ... boy, was I wrong. It reset my tastebuds with a vengeance.

While I'm still surprised at how many things in the world are too sweet, I feel like I now have some mechanism for helping decide what is going to be too sweet and what is not, and the balance to say no to things I know are going to be.

I went to a funeral yesterday where they did communion. It was a methodist church, so they dip the bread into grape juice (instead of wine), and it was regular white bread too, not like in some other traditions where they use a small wafer or some kind of cracker. It tasted like sugary jelly to me.

1 person likes this

Day 4.3 (March 8) <<It's week 4 isn't it. Damn.

#bringback6wc

I planned on hitting the gym for squats, but I ended up being at work until 9:45 because of big deadlines this week and next. We have PDR aka Preliminary Design Review on March 27-28 so this week and next week is big crunch time to prepare for that. Ensure our presentation slides are correct and all deliverables are complete.

Hopefully can make it to either gymnastics or squats tonight and I am not stuck here for all hours of the night, again.

1) Fitness

☐☐☐ Move

☐☐#DoyourdamnabsTM

Don’t skip legs

☐☐Hip strengthening

If I don't get a workout in at the gym, I'm going to at least do abs and hips tonight at home. HOLD ME TO THIS HOMIES.

2) Read

Comic a day. Total 20

Did not read because work said... hey, fuck you Marissa.

*In 7 days I will be on vacation* *breathe*

3) Work on dat morning routine.

Do these things for sure:

Turn off phone when I go to bed and use a different alarm clock.

Don't turn on phone until I leave the apartment
Prep breakfasts

Pick out outfit/jewelry etc night before

Experiment with these things:

Eat first thing after I pee (instead of when I'm scrambling out the door)

Morning stretching routine

☐Check weather the night before to see if walking is feasible.

Pack lunch night before

Pack gym back night before AR

Forgot to do a flow this morning.... I'll also have to add that to abs and hips. And I got ready before breakfast because I don't know why.

My gym bag is still packed from earlier this week (and I have yet to go).

Instagram-R-I-P-lost-gains-77fc29.png

^^Also, girls.

4) Whole 30

Meal plan for each week

Meal prep 2x/week

Don’t eat shit that’s not on the Whole 30. Period.

Full recap still to come, I promise.

Yesterday I reintroduced dairy. I had cheddar cheese with my omelette at lunch (it was probably cooked in butter too TBH, but I didn't ask about cooking oil)

For dinner I had chicken with steamed broccoli and butter and mozzarella cheese.

I had ice cream as a late night snack. I made sure to look it had no gluten or peanuts or soy or anything either, just straight dairy.

I feel fine so far. No immediately noticeable difference e.g. fatigue, bloating, cramping etc. I was extremely tired upon waking up this morning, but I think that's just the fact that I was at work for almost 14 hours.

Today I am whole 30 again as a baseline. Either tomorrow or Saturday I am planning to reintroduce gluten. Other groups that will need reintroduction are legumes and non-gluten grains (rice, corn). They recommend that you introduce gluten last, but I REAAAAAAALLLLLLY want some fucking toast or pasta or something because I'm weird. And birthday treats. I might adjust it come Saturday if I feel like eating something different (e.g. tacos w/ corn tortillas...) Legumes, I'm not too concerned about reintroducing beans at all, I would reintroduce soy and peanuts though.

Looking at my schedule the next week:

Saturday: birthday party w/ nerds

Sunday: my actual birthday

Wednesday: all hands meeting + happy hour at work

Thursday: leave for Salt Lake City.

Ideally I'd like to be able to get this whole reintroduction thing complete before my flight or on the day of my flight and still be able to eat things on/around my birthday. So I'm thinking:

Saturday and also maybe Sunday: gluten

Tuesday: soy, peanuts

Thursday: non-gluten grains

Gives me at least a day in between reintroductions to evaluate before moving on to the next. With only whole 30 days in between. Potentially adding dairy to any delicious birthday baked goods because so far it doesn't seem to be an issue. I'm also adding back in added sugar in things and just not overall being so diligent about checking my labels, not intentionally adding sugar, but just giving less fucks.

Here is a gif to break up that giant wall of text and as a reward for reading all of that.

Funny-Dog-Eating-Gif.gif

5) #Lifeshit to be done by end of challenge

Clean Cubicle
Oil change in car
Buy more colored pencils
Taxes

4 people like this

Also, looking at that though, I'm fine with legumes not coming in until later. Really the only things I am concerned about immediately is trace/hidden soy in other products (soy lecithin, soy sauce, thickeners etc.). I can live without peanuts for another week or so. So maybe I will just hold off on that until later....

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Also, looking at that though, I'm fine with legumes not coming in until later. Really the only things I am concerned about immediately is trace/hidden soy in other products (soy lecithin, soy sauce, thickeners etc.). I can live without peanuts for another week or so. So maybe I will just hold off on that until later....

Didn't you discover something had been cooked in peanut oil? That should count as a legume test, at least for peanuts.

2 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Didn't you discover something had been cooked in peanut oil? That should count as a legume test, at least for peanuts.

I did yea on like day 26 or something. But the idea is to really overwhelm yourself with the stuff.

So I would be eating like... peanut butter+ apple for a snack, tofu at lunch, soy protein shake post-WO etc. To really get an idea, ok is it the soy? Or is it just coincidence.

1 person likes this

you might be surprised at the delicious gluten free things that are out there ;) especially if there's a good bakery nearby that does it up. i have it in my head that gluten free places (not the ones that just have a loaf of udi's in the back) seem to try harder with making the food... that's weird probably, but usually ends up being a good dining experience in my case :D 

either way though, i like your reintroduction plan. i did not do any of that after my whole30. i also didn't read any of the books... whoops!

I'm certainly not an expert at handstands, but happy to help! Do you have NF Rings and Handstands?

I do! I bought it when it came out, but then bignlife changes startes and I didn't think I could properly commit to it yet. Gonna try now that I'm more settled. And I shall pump you for advice accordingly!

Also, I vote thick slices of toast slathered with butter. Favourite food EVER. That would be the main reason I got so fat in the first place...

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Day 4.4

No gym again.

I ended up going to the doctor and I have a sprained finger. (I don't remember if I said this here or not but like a month ago I jammed it at gymnastics and it still hurts so I went to the doctor yesterday) She told me to rest two weeks. I'm definitely not going to do that, but I figured I should honor her wishes for at least one day.

Also, did character creation for D&D last night with 4 coworkers, 3 of us n00bs. My character is SHUMP a half-orc, barbarian with daddy issues who is strong AF and plays a comically tiny bongo. We're going to play a short one off campaign in about 2 weeks. Should be a good time.

1) Fitness

☐☐☐ Move

☐#DoyourdamnabsTM

Don’t skip legs

☐Hip strengthening

I did abs and hips at home like I said I was going to. V-ups and marching and a bit of handstand work. Last night's flow was "Autonomy".

2) Read

Comic a day. Total 20

Read more of Food Freedom Forever. I'm on Chapter 6 now I think? I haven't been counting non comic book reading days in my total above.

Prep breakfasts

Check weather the night before to see if walking is feasible.

Pack lunch night before

This morning's flow was "Freedom". I was also ready before 8:10, but waiting for Mr. J to get home and chatted with him in the morning. So I was a bit late for work, but was ready on time.

4) Whole 30

Meal plan for each week

Meal prep 2x/week

I haven't meal prepped a second time this week yet, but my lunch today is the last food I have prepped. So I'll have to prep tonight: salmon and veggies.

Remember when I said no adverse affects from the dairy? Well, I've been bloated and gassy since last night. It's not awful, but enough where I notice it. I did have fizzy water, but haven't been having that reaction with fizzy water so I don't think that's it (also broccoli? but that's a thing I've been eating throughout also). I dunno if ~24 hours from eating the bulk of my dairy is a reasonable time frame for me to expect these side effects. I was still bloated this morning, which is the first time I've woken up bloated in a month. Soooooo yea.... I don't know what conclusions to draw here.

tumblr_ogr3oqGT6Q1squc7do1_500.gif

Clean Cubicle
Oil change in car
Buy more colored pencils
Taxes

4 people like this

20 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

you might be surprised at the delicious gluten free things that are out there ;) especially if there's a good bakery nearby that does it up. i have it in my head that gluten free places (not the ones that just have a loaf of udi's in the back) seem to try harder with making the food... that's weird probably, but usually ends up being a good dining experience in my case :D 

either way though, i like your reintroduction plan. i did not do any of that after my whole30. i also didn't read any of the books... whoops!

Haha yea I will try some gluten free things at some point. Especially if gluten ends up causing issues or being a trigger. I typically take the road though of if I'm going to have a treat, let's say pancakes... I'm going to eat those fucking pancakes and enjoy them. I'm not going to have some sorry ass protein pancakes that I'm going to regret and just makes me want REAL pancakes even more. Lol

Haha it's really hard to stick with the reintroduction!!! I'm like OMG whole30 is over why am I still doing this?!?!! But I think it will be good in the long run. The "It starts with food" book was helpful, but certainly not necessary. I could have gathered most of that info from the blog. This "food freedom forever" one is a bit different and takes on more of the psychological aspects behind it and retraining behavoirs, as opposed to the science. I'm liking it a lot more.

8 hours ago, Big_Show said:

I do! I bought it when it came out, but then bignlife changes startes and I didn't think I could properly commit to it yet. Gonna try now that I'm more settled. And I shall pump you for advice accordingly!

Also, I vote thick slices of toast slathered with butter. Favourite food EVER. That would be the main reason I got so fat in the first place...

I LOVE TOAST.

I actually can't stand the taste of butter though. If you get a really nice thick slice of fresh sourdough I will put butter on it, I just generally don't prefer butter. I prefer toast with peanut butter or jam. Yummmmmmy.

1 person likes this

25 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Haha yea I will try some gluten free things at some point. Especially if gluten ends up causing issues or being a trigger. I typically take the road though of if I'm going to have a treat, let's say pancakes... I'm going to eat those fucking pancakes and enjoy them. I'm not going to have some sorry ass protein pancakes that I'm going to regret and just makes me want REAL pancakes even more. Lol

Haha it's really hard to stick with the reintroduction!!! I'm like OMG whole30 is over why am I still doing this?!?!! But I think it will be good in the long run. The "It starts with food" book was helpful, but certainly not necessary. I could have gathered most of that info from the blog. This "food freedom forever" one is a bit different and takes on more of the psychological aspects behind it and retraining behavoirs, as opposed to the science. I'm liking it a lot more.

totally agree! i don't bake at home so if i find a good shop/restaurant with GF goodies i may splurge. that's like once in a blue moon though. it's always nice to run into a good gluten free baked good that someone actually put in the work to make it taste like real sex. not the kind with pants on :D 

but you're doooooing it!

tumblr_mkevci7orY1s6k0u4o2_500.gif

3 people like this

totally agree! i don't bake at home so if i find a good shop/restaurant with GF goodies i may splurge. that's like once in a blue moon though. it's always nice to run into a good gluten free baked good that someone actually put in the work to make it taste like real sex. not the kind with pants on  

but you're doooooing it!

tumblr_mkevci7orY1s6k0u4o2_500.gif

There is a gluten free bakery here called the Silly Yak bakery that Koo said is good. ☺ I want to check it out at some point

2 people like this

58 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

She told me to rest two weeks. I'm definitely not going to do that, but I figured I should honor her wishes for at least one day.

1VZmW.gif

7 people like this

Please explain more about the bongo.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

Re: GI awareness

24 hours watching for effects is a good window, or your next poop whichever comes sooner. But i think most meals take about 6-8 hours to get through, but their effects may linger if they're waiting in line for the exit because the door is locked shut or a previous meal is blocking the exit. But then sometimes it's like someone pulled the fire alarm...

You'll figure it out.

4 people like this

I actually like protein pancakes. :( but I don't do silly pancakes that are like just egg and banana. Not even worth it.

I do something like 1/3 protein powder and 2/3 pancake mix, plus cinnamon. I want them to be like regular pancakes but with protein. And then I'll melt a little PB on top for fat grams and because PB is life. 

3 people like this

On 3/10/2017 at 10:54 AM, raptron said:

1VZmW.gif

B)

On 3/10/2017 at 4:49 PM, Big_Show said:

Please explain more about the bongo.

My friend actually got me a bongo for my birthday because of this. I'm going to have to learn some sick tunes to play.

On 3/10/2017 at 5:41 PM, Curl Brogo said:

Re: GI awareness

24 hours watching for effects is a good window, or your next poop whichever comes sooner. But i think most meals take about 6-8 hours to get through, but their effects may linger if they're waiting in line for the exit because the door is locked shut or a previous meal is blocking the exit. But then sometimes it's like someone pulled the fire alarm...

You'll figure it out.

It seems dairy leads to blocking the exit.

On 3/11/2017 at 6:33 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

I actually like protein pancakes. :( but I don't do silly pancakes that are like just egg and banana. Not even worth it.

I do something like 1/3 protein powder and 2/3 pancake mix, plus cinnamon. I want them to be like regular pancakes but with protein. And then I'll melt a little PB on top for fat grams and because PB is life. 

I LOoooooove PB on pancakes or french toast :)

Day 4.5-7 (March 10-12)

In case you didn't notice the past two weeks have been nuts at work. Between that and cooking whole30 compliant meals, I'm happy with what progress I have managed on the fitness front.

1) Fitness

☑☑☑☐ Move

☑☑#DoyourdamnabsTM

Don’t skip legs

Hip strengthening

Friday: Did a ~25 minute full body yoga flow and also practiced handstands for a few minutes after.

Saturday: Did not feel like leaving to go to the gym, so I did a full body circuit in my apartment:

3 rounds of

10 sissy squats

10 dips 

10 BSS each leg 

8 pullups (couldn't quite manage 10)

10 step ups each leg

10 pushups

10 V-ups

Really being one with the assassins here. Don't let anyone say you can't get a good workout with just bodyweight, because that kicked my ass. And I was able to complete it with things around my apartment, the only real speciality equipment being the pullup bar. Everything else was common things: stairs, chairs/barstools for dips, doorframe as support for sissy squats, yoga mat if you want for pushups/V-ups.

Sunday: rest

2) Read

Comic a day. Total 20

Depleted my comic book stash down to 0 and promptly hit the shop on Saturday to replenish it. Managed some reading each day. Also, bagged and boarded and stored all my comics that I had already read that were backing up on the coffee table.

Prep breakfasts

Pack lunch night before

I've done a flow every morning since I bought wildfire :) This morning I started from the beginning instead of skipping around. Planning to actually do the mindset guide and journaling from here on out.

This morning was kind of weird. I had everything prepped last night: clothes, gym bag, breakfast minus eggs. And as I was getting ready, J called me because his car got stuck in the snow. So I ended up having to pick him up and didn't have time to get to breakfast at home, so I stopped for a breakfast sammich on the way into work (meh. not worth it IMO).

4) Whole 30

Meal plan for each week

Meal prep 2x/week

I ate whole 30 on Friday all day. Saturday I reintroduced gluten. I went to the French bakery and bought myself a proper crossaint for the occasion. For the rest of the weekend, I had a hard time isolating gluten from dairy so most of my meals included both. Oh well. And I haven't been back on whole30 yet. (I do have whole 30 things for the rest of the day today)

A bit of bloating/constipation. 95% sure dairy is the culprit. Enough that it's annoying, not enough that it's a showstopper. I'm probably going to reduce my intake. Gluten doesn't seem to be causing any issues (yassss).

Still would like to reintroduce soy & peanuts at some point to test that out. Looking at Wednesday probably. 

Clean Cubicle
Oil change in car
Buy more colored pencils
Taxes

I'm going on vacation Thursday and coming back Tuesday so I'm just going to keep typing things here until Thursday and then when I come back I'll have a fresh challenge.

5 people like this

CHALLENGE WRAP UP

1) Fitness

☐☐☐☐ Move

☐☐#DoyourdamnabsTM

Don’t skip legs

☐☐Hip strengthening

Managed abs every week. Managed at least 3 workouts every week except sick week.

Looking to get back on a solid lifting program again so legs shouldn't be an issue. Hips still need improvement so try to keep that in as part of weakness/mobility.

2) Read

Comic a day. Total 20

Read comics solidly over half of the days and actual book reading on other days. I would say I probably averaged reading of some sort 5/7 days over the challenge. Much improved from before. Usually pre-bedtime reading and in afternoons on weekends instead of TV if I was home.

Prep breakfasts

Pack lunch night before

Turning on phone later didn't really happen due to using it for yoga flows, but not laying in bed or on the couch checking it has been helpful! Getting up and moving and yoga right away makes me not want to lay around.

Eating right away, morning stretching and packing gym bag have also been helpful. It's easy to pack a gym bag when I set my clothes out for the day. Morning stretching / wildfire will DEFINITELY be sticking in the routine. 

4) Whole 30

Meal plan for each week

☐☐Meal prep 2x/week

WRITE UP HERE

^dis a hyperlink

Clean Cubicle
Oil change in car
Buy more colored pencils
Taxes

These all got done. Yay!

4 people like this

2 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

It seems dairy leads to blocking the exit.

2 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

95% sure dairy is the culprit. Enough that it's annoying, not enough that it's a showstopper.

I'd like to take this opportunity to suggest that "blocking the exit" does indeed qualify as a "Showstopper"

(is it still alright to talk about poop if you are in an assassin thread?)

3 people like this

It looks like you had a good challenge and I'm glad the morning routine is working for you!

28 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

(is it still alright to talk about poop if you are in an assassin thread?)

Image result for everybody poops even batman

2 people like this

36 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'd like to take this opportunity to suggest that "blocking the exit" does indeed qualify as a "Showstopper"

I see what you did there.

Spoiler

Note: "blocking" the exit might have been poor phrasing. BMs are definitely more difficult to pass.

1 person likes this