Rhovaniel leaves the Comfort Zone

Rhovaniel

My name is Rhovaniel. Once, I was a pawn, an unthinking Empire pawn. Some months ago, I woke up, and sought my freedom as a Ranger, a member of the Rebellion. For that, I was imprisoned by the Emperor, Lord Morgulon, who wants all living things held under his dominion, held under the sway of sugar and processed poison under a tasty and addictive guise. I resisted his attempts to reclaim me, and with the aid of another Ranger, Callan, I escaped. Callan brought me to a healer’s house some leagues from the Capital, on the fringes of the Empire. But still they found me. The healer who sheltered and nursed me was murdered, her daughter gravely wounded. Injected with a strong dose of sugar syrup and succumbing to Empire chocolate, I face now a greater challenge. Protect the healer’s daughter. Resist the onset of sugar cravings. Grow in strength and endurance. Prepare for my next encounter with the Emperor’s agents. And there will be a next encounter. I have to know why the Emperor wants to reclaim me so badly. Why he did not have me killed.

I’m starting in Week Zero, but I do anticipate that my History weekend away (this weekend) and the funeral coming just after that will mean I won’t be able to complete some of these. I’ll just try to keep my food choices as good as possible, since at the Lodge, I won’t be in control of what food is on offer, or if there’ll be space/time to do a workout (it’s a shared room with another student) and I can’t dictate what I will eat with my Dad and the day of the funeral, and I’ll also have to get the train back home after. To track, I will use the symbols Tank uses:

C = Compliant, T = Travelling, V = Variance. For workouts, X will mean I did not complete that workout, :) will mean I did.  

The Lay of the Land:

-       This challenge, I run. Only once a week to start myself off, but later on I hope to increase this. Minimum 5 km each week. ZR tracks my times and pace, so it should be relatively easy to track. In addition, I will aim for one other cardio workout, probably swimming. Walking 10,000 steps or more will also count as a cardio workout if I have no other option because Life Happened.

2 cardio workouts per week:

_ _ /_ _/_ _/_ _/_ _

The Strength to Fight:

-       Demons don’t just attack the mind. Illness, aches, pains, injury. They prey on the unfit body. So, I work to defend against this, and become… anti-fragile.

3 strength workouts per week:

_ _ _/_ _ _/_ _ _/_ _ _/_ _ _

To Hunt or Gather:

-       Nutrition has been and remains my biggest struggle. So, this challenge I’m going to re-try paleo, since I still dislike MFP as much as ever. With the exception of wholegrain rice, because I cannot live on sweet potato alone. Baby steps till I fully figure out how to cook properly. 4 variances (non-paleo, or unhealthy food) per week. Shamelessly stealing Tank’s code for tracking this.

Eat Paleo with 4 variances per week:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _/_ _ _ _ _ _ _/_ _ _ _ _ _ _/_ _ _ _ _ _ _/_ _ _ _ _ _ _

Into the wild:

-       I must face the unknown with courage. My comfort zone offers safety but not growth. This one is more of a Life challenge, but I’ve got to kick a few bad habits here. Confidence, calmness in the face of adversity (read: stressful situations). For this, I will do one thing every day to either boost my confidence, push myself out of my comfort zone, or otherwise teach me to be more resilient and calm under pressure. I will research how to help that. Meditation maybe, or perhaps online tutorials on problem solving, etc. Anything that will boost my confidence in my ability to face pressure and responsibility.

One action daily to boost confidence and resilience under pressure:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _/_ _ _ _ _ _ _/_ _ _ _ _ _ _/_ _ _ _ _ _ _/_ _ _ _ _ _ _   

Rewards:

I’d like to add some rewards into this challenge, as an incentive to stick with it, especially in weak moments. I’ve noticed that when motivation is low, I feel the need to have an incentive to push on. The problem is, I have no idea what they should be. I will hopefully get these in place before Week One and the official start of the challenge. 

EDIT: Each week that I get 90% or more overall completion of my goals, I get a movie night. Weeks 1-3 will be (performance dependant) Lord of the Rings extended editions. I may or may not allocate a variance to said movie night.

• Like 12

"What does your heart tell you?" - Aragorn

Epic Quest: In the Footsteps of the Dúnedain: Aragorn's Journey

Current Challenge: Rhovaniel looks Inwards, to change Outwards

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26

Nice challenge!

I love a good reward they definitely motive me :) even the small things make a different (hot bubble bath FTW!)

Looking forward to following your journey and your narrative.

• Like 3

Feminist Ranger (she/her)

Based in Melbourne, Australia

Current Challenge: Emerald Eagle refills her cup (January 2021)
Instagram: @emeraldeaglenf

“I wish you would thrash him. He deserves it." She looked back at him. "I will one day, sir. I'm getting tired of falling down.” - Alanna: The First Adventure

This looks great!! You are going to rock this! Following along for awesomeness!!

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 48

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2021 Books in Progress:

How We Love (82%)  |  Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (60%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  | What Did You Expect? (36%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%) 

2021 Books Completed:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets  |  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  |  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire   |  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  |  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  |  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  |  Lady Windermere's Fan 

8 hours ago, EmeraldEagle said:

Nice challenge!

I love a good reward they definitely motive me :) even the small things make a different (hot bubble bath FTW!)

Looking forward to following your journey and your narrative.

Thanks - yeah, I'm toying with the idea of small weekly rewards for 90+ completion, like a lie-in one day, or something. Having a bath would cause a mini tsunami as my cat tries to join me (we've been through that before, and it's not fun!) Still working on this, but I'm glad to have you along for the ride!

6 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Great challenge. Looking forward to read more about your into the wild challenge.

I'm hopeful it'll prove the most enlightening goal, since it basically boils down to me trying to shed old, negative ways of thinking about myself. Specifically, about limitations I've unconsciously believed in and fed into most of my life. 

6 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Nice challenge, I like the signature tracking especially.

Thanks! I wonder where I got the idea.... ;) 

5 hours ago, Shadri said:

Your goals look good! I'm here to follow from the beginning this time, instead of halfway through. :D 

Yay! Good to see you! Heading over to check out your thread now... 

3 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

This looks great!! You are going to rock this! Following along for awesomeness!!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I'm gonna need it!

Seriously though, this challenge is going down! Made omelette cups in the oven for breakfast for the first time today... I mean, sure I overfilled the cups and ended up with mushrooming omelettes and a large blob of eggy mixture on the oven floor, but the end result was actually edible! 

• Like 8

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26

So I'm going to admit that I'm a little addicted and way too invested in your little narrative :D But following to see your awesomeness! I want to follow your journey to being anti fragile!

• Like 4

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Following along!

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

5 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

Having a bath would cause a mini tsunami as my cat tries to join me (we've been through that before, and it's not fun!)

Ok this is amazing.  Cats loving baths?!  What universe is this?? XD

I've always had trouble with a rewards system for me, too.  Following not only to see you WILDLY SUCCEED but also to see what you come up with!!

• Like 2

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

» visit me @ my BATTLE LOG~

2 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Following along!

Hi!

1 hour ago, shaar said:

Ok this is amazing.  Cats loving baths?!  What universe is this?? XD

I've always had trouble with a rewards system for me, too.  Following not only to see you WILDLY SUCCEED but also to see what you come up with!!

Oh, he's a weird one. He started off dipping a toe in the water, and flicking the water about, then decided to jump in. Hmmm. I got pretty scratched up when he tried to scramble up the sides though, so I'm not eager to repeat. He will also jump into sinks full of water and as soon as I turn the shower on, you can bet he's there. He usually sits outside and watches me shower... Equal parts cute and creepy. This was the result of the sink episode:

1 hour ago, Muir said:

Following!

lizard.gif?cfaea8

I love it! You are on point with the amazing gifs today :lol: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MiaulinTheCat said:

Following most eagerly! I love your water-happy feline, mellon nin. What an adorable cat! :3 You're gonna do great!

He's a goofy one, thats for sure!

38 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

Following along, of course!

Challenge is looking great, I have no doubt in your ability to beast it :D 

Thanks, glad to see you here!

So, today was and was not productive. Not, because no uni work got done. but that was mainly because I trudged an hour each way into town to collect contact lenses, which they still managed to not get 100% right so will result in another trip soon. :sigh: But, today was my first day of full Paleo. Oven Omelette cups (no cheese) for breakfast, one of my prepped chicken/broccoli/sweet potato meals for lunch, and I'm just waiting for my haddock parcel to come out of the oven for dinner. Also bought in some more meat for prepping tomorrow, downloaded some psychology articles (the joy of having access through my uni portal) on resilience and played some logic games for an hour. I'm hoping my Into the Wild challenge will pick up and involve me actually pushing myself to do things that scare me, but it's a start. 

Also, today was my "body blitz" class so that's one of my strength days done. We worked with barbells for the first time ever. Ok, the bar is really light and the plates these small, weird coloured things, but it was still cool since I've kinda been itching to try one. Squats were done, and chest presses (or bench presses, not quite sure of the difference) using the cardio step and a mat for a bench. Probably my favourite of those exercises. 

Also, I figured out what my rewards will be each week, so I'll update my original post in a minute. Each week I complete 90% or more of my goals overall, I get a movie night on either the Sunday or Saturday, whichever works best with my work schedule. More specifically, all three LOTRs will be watched, extended versions. It's been too long since I last saw them... Not sure what the fourth week will be yet. Week Zero won't count because a) I started my first full day today, and b ) I'm at the Lodge Fri-Sat-Sun and in between sessions is plenty of down time to indulge in some down time. 

55667078.jpg

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

More specifically, all three LOTRs will be watched, extended versions. It's been too long since I last saw them

Now that is a plan. 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

18 hours ago, Shadri said:

That sounds like a great reward system! I need to rewatch LoTR too... "I've put this off for far too long..." :D 

Did you like the egg cups?? I love cooking those. They're so simple and easy and delicious. <3

aha, that made me :lol:.

I liked them, but next time I will watch how much I put into one case...

1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

Now that is a plan. 

165eb90b0a6c4e69b055b3a091564248ac45c9bb

• Like 5

Okay, Week Zero, Day... 4?? 

The Lay of the Land: Rest Day. Legs stiff and achy so this is a good thing. 

The Strength to Fight:

So, I accidentally did a second strength day. As in, two in a row. Because I forgot I wasn't working this week so could make the rock climbing session. Grip strength and my forearms started to fail me near the end and I realised two things. The first is that I still have a fear of heights. Not a panicky fear, but a tremble and sweaty forehead and hands and feet and shaking legs kinda fear. Part of me is hoping that it's just a confidence on the wall issue but I'm not sure. The second is that I not only hate having this irrational response to height, but I harbour somewhat negative feelings towards myself for having it. And that is not okay. Need to work on the being-ok-with-who-I-am thing at the same time as conquering the heights. And I will conquer them. Fear is a learned response. I can unlearn it. 

To Hunt or Gather: Used a variance, but was careful to keep it in line. I had a ham and salad leaves in wholemeal "squares" for lunch. Bread is not paleo, ergo the variance. I also had a hot chocolate with it. It wasn't impulsive though, it was calculated within an otherwise healthy day of bacon and eggs for breakfast, and the now staple of my diet chicken, sweet potato and broccoli. 

Into the Wild: Did some more logic puzzles, but the big one today was the climbing, because I'm doing it with two aims. One, I want it to be fun (and it is to start with, till I get high enough up for it to be a problem) and two I want to cure myself of the fear. Also I slipped, lost my footing and fell a metre or so before the person on the other end of the rope stopped me. And I carried on climbing, after a moment of clinging to the wall to stop the tremble. Luckily, I was high enough up for my whispered "The fear doesn't own you, you own the fear" manta to go unheard by all except me. I may or may not have chanted it a fair number of times to get me to the top. On the bright side, letting go of the wall to hold the rope and descend is getting less terrifying... ;) 

Tomorrow will be a complete rest day, friday will be a walk. I think I've overdone it slightly with the run, the body blitz class and climbing all in a row. The weekend will be a good time to recharge, and if the weather's nice I can walk around the grounds. 

• Like 7

Woohoo, what a great start to the challenge. I love the picture I have of you climbing and saying your mantra. Even after you slipped a bit, you just calmed yourself down and kept climbing, that is fantastic.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Hi rhovaniel! I've been inconsistent about following your story, but I'm here to follow again! 

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 47

2021 challenges:  46 | 4748 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Go Rhovaniel!!  Following along..  We have very similar challenges (once I get around to starting my thread) running, strength and correct eating are definitely in my top 3.   I have to say, I am also very impressed with the discipline to update your sig with your progress. Pretty awesome! 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

NF Character (Work in Progress)

Previous challenges  | 1

"We’re all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?" -The Doctor

"I drink and I know things" - Tyrion Lannister

"BE AWESOME!!" -me :)

Ooh, nice work on the rock climbing! Heights are definitely scary. It's awesome that you were able to push through and keep going! :D

Just be glad you don't have to use an auto-belay machine - one time I did a ropes course and the auto-belay, which belays you down with magnets rather than with another human, was the way they had you get down. Which means hooking yourself up to a little grey box and jumping off a thirty-foot-high platform and praying it slows you down! Of course, it worked perfectly... but I had to sit up there for quite a while convincing myself to jump. xD

• Like 1

I'm so glad you finally got to go climbing! Top roping can be a little scary at first, which is perfectly natural when you think about it. Our fears exist for a reason, to stop us from hurting ourselves; and climbing up a 12+ meter high wall is something you brain is going to take issue with! Once you've been a few times you'll be much more relaxed and if you find you just can't get on with the height but love to climb, try bouldering instead. The walls are only 4.5 meters, if you fall you land on big crash mats and there's no time wasted messing around with rope tying (it's also much more fun than top roping!)

• Like 3

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

18 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

Not a panicky fear, but a tremble and sweaty forehead and hands and feet and shaking legs kinda fear. Part of me is hoping that it's just a confidence on the wall issue but I'm not sure. The second is that I not only hate having this irrational response to height, but I harbour somewhat negative feelings towards myself for having it.

I like to view these kinds of things as a challenge to overcome. I'm also shaky at heights and that is exactly a good reason to try and condition myself out of it, as safely as possible, of course :P

Get comfortable at being uncomfortable. This is becoming my motto for the year :D don't beat yourself up over it but look at the opportunity to make yourself better!

• Like 4

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler