Maigahane Runs After the Wagon

Maigs

I'm pretty horrible at setting goals for these challenges. I'm not saying I'm failing at bettering myself, just that I have not once stuck to the goals set at the beginning of a challenge. The last one was to log food, do pushups, and stretch. Instead I cut my caffeine intake in half, limited my morning snoozing, and started running daily. Since I started going challenges last year I have lost a bit over 30lbs (finally getting out of the "overweight" BMI range), logged 22 miles of running events (OCRs, mudruns, and trail runs), ridden hundreds of miles on my bike (that I just got in August of 2015 after not having one for 15ish years), and made progress cleaning up my eating habits.

One thing I have learned over the challenges is that food is the number one thing I should concentrate on for losing weight. When I'm on track I lose weight easily regardless of my exercise (or lack thereof). So my goals this challenge are:

Don't eat like an idiot - Track the foods. Eat real foods. Limit going out to eat. Don't snack just because I'm bored. This works best when I plan out my food the night before, try to get in the habit of doing that

Continue with half-caff - Caffeine might be contributing to some dizzy spells I've been having so I'm working on cutting it out. I might cut it in half again soon but I'm not quite ready yet

Continue limiting snoozing to twice - I'm actually getting time to eat my breakfast in the mornings now. I might cut this down to one snooze soon

Continue running - Besides losing weight my biggest motivator is doing OCRs. I don't need to be an amazing runner but I need to be a competent one

So basically watch what I eat and stick with what I started last challenge that was surprisingly easy to adopt. Possibly upping some of my current habits but not at the expense of others or eating correctly

• Like 8

Current Challenge:  Maigs Starts Over

Week Zero - Monday

I got my mile streaking in after work and it was rough. I had to walk twice for about half a block each time. The day before I ran two miles without stopping and I couldn't figure out why this run was so much harder. Then as the evening went on my left glute started getting more and more sore until it was kinda hard to walk but I couldn't get it stretched out. I finally figured out right before bed that it hurt right where I freaking got my birth control shot earlier in the day. When I used to get the shot in the arm it would be sore for a few days but it's never caused my rear to hurt like that. I'm going to go with the explanation that there is less fat to protect the muscle back there now and call it a win :)

Food was good until dinner. I really didn't feel like cooking so I snacked until Hubs got home then we went out to Red Robin and I got uncomfortably full. Why didn't I just make the darn lasagna? It really isn't that hard to make. Sigh. Oh well, back to chasing that wagon so I can get back on. Half-caff and double-snoozing did happen

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I didn't think they did many shots in the posterior anymore. Ow. 

Only one place I've gone to in the 8 years I've been on the shot didn't do it in the posterior (though they usually call it the hip...it's not the hip). The other place did it in my arm and I hated that. It hurt for 3 days every time. This is the only time I've felt anything in the rear more than 5 minutes after getting shot. Usually I'm getting ready for bed and wondering what's on my butt and then remembering I got shot that day and they put a bandaid there

• Like 2

I'm going to park my butt here and watch some streaking. :D

• Like 2

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Here for the streaking party! :P 

• Like 2

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Week Zero - Tuesday

Don't eat like an asshole -  Check! 1,525cals. I also added up the damage from Monday...just the dinner was 2000cals, the full day was around 1000cals. That'll teach me to plan food ahead of time. In fact, it did. Today's food was planned before going to bed last night :)

I also thought of a new rule to implement: If I'm boredsnacky(TM) I'm only allowed to eat fruits, veggies, or raw nuts. I eat too much junk between getting home and making dinner because I'm boredsnacky and it's still too early to cook dinner. Last night I had an apple which is way better than the chips, peanut butter, and slice of bread (all separate, and I just realized those were not logged for my numbers above...) that I had Monday. On that note, I need to stock up on more fruits, veggies, and raw nuts cause I'm now out at home. I can still snack on other foods and junk if it's preplanned such as gaming nights or if I'm legitimately hungry (I'm pretty good at telling the difference between hungry and boredsnacky). Tonight's gaming night, I will likely have some M&M's because there is nothing better than chocolate and peanuts/peanut butter

Continue with half-caff - Check! Going to half-caff was so much easier than I expected but I'm unnecessarily terrified of cutting it in half again. Someday it will happen, I promise (I say as I'm willing the clock to say 1pm so I can make my second one...)

Continue limiting snoozing to twice - Check! This was surprisingly easy too. I think soon I'll knock it down to one snooze. Seriously, the alarm is set to 6:30am for a reason *sigh*

Continue running- Check! Barely! It was cold and windy yesterday, my stomach was cramping, I had shit to do, I was discouraged after Monday's run, and my left cheek still hurt. But I kept repeating my new motto (that I've already forgotten who I stole it from even though I just read it yesterday) "Determination, not motivation" and I dragged my ass out at 7pm, in the dark, when it was 25F (-4C) and streaked for a damn mile. And I ran the full damn mile. 16 days in a row dammit! :D Today the high is 20F (about -7C) and we're gaming. Which means I need to layer up as soon as I get home and suck it up buttercup

• Like 5

Streaking at at 20ºF is seriously badass!! Following to see you streak through the challenge! 

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

17 hours ago, Muir said:

Here for the streaking and any other inappropriate sounding things you end up doing over the next month! :D

I do all sorts of inappropriate things, I just usually keep those details to myself :P

17 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Streaking at at 20ºF is seriously badass!! Following to see you streak through the challenge! 

Luckily the wind died down before I streaked last night or it would have been completely miserable. Windchill when I looked at work was something like 12F

• Like 3

Yay for streaking!

Frinkiac - S02E12 -

• Like 3

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 

Week Zero - Wednesday

Don't eat like an idiot - Mostly good. Food was planned but then Hubs suggested Chipotle for dinner so I adjusted. I planned what I was getting before we got there and still had room for my M&M's. But I always forget that Hubs always gets chips there and I can't resist them so I ended up higher calories than I'd like but still under 2k so mostly win

Continue with half-caff - Check.

Continue limiting snoozing to twice - Check

Continue running - Check even though it was damn cold. I had to walk a block mostly because my throat was hurting from the cold air. It's warmer today and much warmer tomorrow. 17 days of streaking

Don't snack on junk when bored - Kinda a win? I ate my M&M's which was planned and okay. But then I ate some of Hubs candy (cause he bought two boxes). I was planning on snacking because it was game night, but I wasn't planning on snacking on Mike & Ikes

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Luckily the wind died down before I streaked last night or it would have been completely miserable. Windchill when I looked at work was something like 12F

I don't even know what to say about that! Ugggadsfhalkdhjfa

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

58 minutes ago, EricMN said:

Wait... Maig is streaking during winter in the Midwest?

I don't need to know what anyone else is doing to know this is the most badass thread on NF.

It may sound badass but it doesn't look quite as badass when I'm huffing and puffing after my 13-14 minute mile. Hopefully after a few months of this I'll be a badass streaking in the 90-100F weather covered is sweat

1 minute ago, jonfirestar said:

I don't even know what to say about that! Ugggadsfhalkdhjfa

Yeah, If I had thought about it I would have brought my workout clothes to work with me and gone to the gym at hubs work to do my mile on the dreadmill in the nice heated building. Today's high is 35F so much less horrible

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Yeah, If I had thought about it I would have brought my workout clothes to work with me and gone to the gym at hubs work to do my mile on the dreadmill in the nice heated building. Today's high is 35F so much less horrible

Yeah the dreadmill does increase it's appeal when it is horrid outside.

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

34 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

It may sound badass but it doesn't look quite as badass when I'm huffing and puffing after my 13-14 minute mile. Hopefully after a few months of this I'll be a badass streaking in the 90-100F weather covered is sweat

FWIW, running during hot weather is really good for your cardiovascular health. As long as you stay hydrated, obviously.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2098556/surprising-benefits-training-heat

Heat training not only does a better job at increasing V02 max than altitude, but it also makes athletes better at withstanding a wider range of temperatures.

sweat-angel-crossfit-style.jpg

Pictured: science.

Remember that when you're huffing through your July run, like I will be.

Jedi Knight - Current ChallengeBattle Log - Epic Quest

18 minutes ago, EricMN said:

FWIW, running during hot weather is really good for your cardiovascular health. As long as you stay hydrated, obviously.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2098556/surprising-benefits-training-heat

sweat-angel-crossfit-style.jpg

Pictured: science.

Remember that when you're huffing through your July run, like I will be.

Good to know! Maybe that's why I'm doing as well as I am this year. Last summer was brutal but I rode that damn bike to work more often than not in the worst of it. Some days I felt like I wouldn't make it home and would make an imprint on the sidewalk like your picture

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Welcome! It's weird to be called a runner....I don't feel like one yet. But I'm getting there :)

17 days of running in a row? You're definitely a runner. 

• Like 4

2020 Races: