• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gainsdalf the Whey

The Amorous Assessment of Anatomic Artillery

892f520147d6329cc15387a60f52a472.jpg

2017 Lifting Competition #1, The Amorous Assessment of Anatomic Artillery!

Awhile back, forum member Andy Gates came up with the idea that we do a virtual power lifting meet where everyone tests their 1 rep maxes in the big 3, and we compete for bragging rights. It was such fun that we decided to make in an official Nerd Fitness forum activity that we do every 4 months or so.

The competition will be held from February 11th  through February 26th. During this time, test your 1RM in the powerlifting lifts (squat/bench/deadlift) and/or in the Olympic lifts (snatch/clean and jerk) and post them in the SCORING SPREADSHEET. The highest individual and total powerlifting Wilks scores and the highest individual and total Olympic Sinclair scores will receive championship titles to be defended during the next virtual competition . The powerlifting and weightlifting lifts may be done on different days so that people who want to participate in both can put their best foot forward each time, but all powerlifting lifts need to be done in a single session and all weightlifting lifts in a single session according to the rules below.

Before you do your attempts, you may enter your name, gender, and an estimate of your body weight in order to sign up and declare your intent to compete. Do not enter any poundages for any lifts until you do them! This sheet is for results, not planning purposes. Just enter the 3 attempts in the attempts columns, not the "best" columns, placing an "x" next to any lifts you fail. The sheet will do the rest of the work.

We're using kg, so just multiply by .454 if pounds are your arbitrary mass measurement unit of choice. The sheet includes calculations using the Wilks Formula for the powerlifting section, so we can judge across sex as well as weight. The intent of the Sinclair score the way we are using it is the same, but for weightlifting.

Everyone is welcome here, of all classes, abilities, and levels of fitness. This is all for fun and the major reason we track it is so we have a record that you can come back and check your progress against later (ok, and bragging rights). Reporting is all on the honor system, but videos are encouraged!

The Prizes:

• Each individual with the highest individual lift scores for their gender will receive a forum title declaring them as the champion of that lift, which must be defended at the next virtual meet in order to be kept.
  • The individuals with the best weightlifting (PTE, explained here) and best powerlifting (highest Wilks) across genders totals a t-shirt from the NF store, once it reopens, in addition to titles.

The Defending Champions are:

NF Powerlifting Champions:

• NF Women's Power Lifting Champion- Tankweazel [451.81]
  • NF Women's Squat Champion- Tankweazel [163.86]
  • NF Women's Bench Press Champion- Tankweazel [112.81]
  • NF Women's Deadlift Champion- Spezzy [182.71] 
  • NF Men's Power Lifting Champion- Juni0r83 [329.28]
  • NF Men's Squat Champion- Juni0r83 [121.16]
  • NF Men's Bench Press Champion- wildross [93.64]
  • NF Men's Deadlift Champion- Gainsdalf [146.01]

NF Weightlifting Champions:

• NF Women's Weightlifting Champion- Miss_Marissa [73.70]
  • NF Women's Snatch Champion- Miss_Marissa [36.87]
  • NF Women's Clean & Jerk Champion- Miss_Marissa [36.87]
  • NF Men's Weightlifting Champion-  Rurik Harrgath [228.70]
  • NF Men's Snatch Champion- Rurik Harrgath [96.44]
  • NF Men's Clean & Jerk Champion-  Rurik Harrgath  [132.22]

Powerlifting Rules:

You get three attempts in squat, three attempts in bench press, and three attempts in dead lift, in that order. Standards are page 17-20 of this, but minus the judge participation. You must do all 9 attempts within the same workout. You're doing this on your own, so you're expected to judge yourself. You can also take a video of the attempts and post them here for us to judge (I usually do).

The best result from each of the 3 lifts is added to your total. If someone squats 240, 260, and 280, only the 280 is added to their powerlifting total.

Weight on the bar can not go down for a given lift, only up. I can not attempt 280, fail, then attempt 240. So pick a weight you know you can do for the first attempt on each lift.

You may compete in any of the individual lifts and not do others if desired, but you're BIG 3 total will be 0. There must be at least one successful lift in each of the Big 3 in order to have a qualifying total.

Weigh in on the morning of your lifts. This is the weight you use for the competition.

Generally the rules details would be IPF RAW, which means no squat or bench suits, no knee wraps; belts and wrist wraps are fine.

Weightlifting Rules

Weightlifting competition runs in the same fashion as a powerlifting competition. You get three attempts to establish a max snatch then three attempts to establish a max clean & jerk. Again similar to powerlifting, the weight on the bar can not decrease but you can repeat a weight after a missed first or second attempt.

All lifts must be performed from the ground - no hang or blocks - and the lifter must demonstrate control with the barbell fixed motionless overhead before safely dropping the barbell. Some of the other rules directly correlate to executing the lifts safely so here's a few automatic "red lights".

• No part of the lifter, other than their feet, can come into contact with the platform at any time.
  • The bar can not make any contact with the head or neck (other than the front rack during the clean). See also: no egregious press outs.
  • During the clean the elbows may not contact the lifters knees or legs.

Costume rules should follow the raw powerlifting guidelines.

Complete weightlifting rules can be found HERE.

Tips & FAQ: This will be updated as questions are asked

• USE A SPOTTER AND OTHER SAFETY PRECAUTIONS- We don't want anyone getting hurt. Use a spotter, preferably 2 (one on the each end of the bar) and safety bars on squats and a spotter on bench.
  • Take long breaks between attempts of the same lift so that you take each lift fresh.
  • Lift order for powerlifting is squat attempt 1, squat attempt 2, squat attempt 3, bench attempt 1, bench attempt 2, bench attempt 3, DL attempt 1, DL attempt 2, DL attempt 3
  • Lift order for weightlifting is snatch 1, snatch 2, snatch 3, clean & jerk 1, clean & jerk 2, clean & jerk 3.
  • Take a weight on the 1st attempt on each lift as something you know you can get, such as what you can typically do for 3. and go from there to ensure you post a total.
  • Especially if this is your first time, chose weights you are confident in and try to complete all 9 attempts. This will help build confidence for future lifts and competitions.
  • If you participate in an organized competition within 2 weeks of either end of the competition dates, we will generally let you count those weights for this competition.

Future comps will be at the end of challenges 5 and 8.

• Like 5

I'm in!  I had a meet back on the 28th, which should still be good. :)

Male

103 kg

Snatch: 80, 85, 89(PR)

Clean and Jerk: 110, 115x, 116x

Total: 199 kg

Here's a link to the meet info:
https://webpoint.usaweightlifting.org/wp15/Events2/ViewEvt.wp?EventID=59167&isPopup=true&Tab=Results

Edit: Probably would help to point out that my name is Dan Carmody and I lifted in the 105 class.  Hehe....

Edited by Niccolo
Add my name
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Niccolo said:

I'm in!  I had a meet back on the 28th, which should still be good. :)

Barely

8 minutes ago, RedStone said:

Last comp was Jan 22. Guessing that is invalid?

That's a bit far out and I'd like to avoid using it if at all possible, yes. If it means you not participating at all for some reason, then we can discuss.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

That's a bit far out and I'd like to avoid using it if at all possible, yes. If it means you not participating at all for some reason, then we can discuss.

I've passed before for bad timing, NBD, happy to cheerlead.

8 minutes ago, RedStone said:

I've passed before for bad timing, NBD, happy to cheerlead.

If they're not competitive weights for winning titles, it's fine. The place I'm worried about is if you're going to win titles, there could be issues for the lifts being part of this competition or not.

Next virtual comps are the end of challenge 5 in June and end of challenge 8 in October BTW.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

If they're not competitive weights for winning titles, it's fine. The place I'm worried about is if you're going to win titles, there could be issues for the lifts being part of this competition or not.

Next virtual comps are the end of challenge 5 in June and end of challenge 8 in October BTW.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks! Should probably just go update on the leaderboard. Been awhile.

(And of course my next comp is May just out of scope probs :P I'm just NF cursed!)

46 minutes ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

Trainer says no maxing out till March and part of my 4-week challenge is to listen to him :P

I'll be there in June though :)

I feel like the luckiest girl in the world, once again the virtual challenge coincides with a real life one. Competing February 25th.

I've added myself to the spreadsheet, but it looks like some cells are still populated from a previous challenge maybe? Like, my age just happened to be there already. Some ranks are in there, and a few best attempts?

• Like 2

So, it's kind of surreal to see my name in the list of title holders... 

Anyway, I'm back for this one again. Maxing out next week. Should be good!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, evabo said:

I've added myself to the spreadsheet, but it looks like some cells are still populated from a previous challenge maybe? Like, my age just happened to be there already. Some ranks are in there, and a few best attempts?

If you see stuff like that, delete it. I copy the old sheet then delete everything, I probably just missed some.

• Like 1

Also input my scores from my meet on January 28. They still haven't posted results on the usapl site yet, grrrrrr 

Squat: 85/92.5/97.5

Bench Press: 45/47.5/50X <dat forever pause

Deadlift: 97.5/105/112.5

Hopefully I can make some attempts at weightlifting to keep my (totally legit, but undeserved) title. :)

200_s.gif

• Like 8

Hey I actually got close to max around the time of one of these!

On Monday I worked up to what were about 97-98% singles, so I entered those numbers because they are close enough to a real max.

Weight that morning was 196. Squat = 425; Poverty Bench = 245; DL = 455. All in stupid American lbs.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

If you see stuff like that, delete it. I copy the old sheet then delete everything, I probably just missed some.

Cheers, will do next time, I didn't want to mess with it!