• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gainsdalf the Whey

The Amorous Assessment of Anatomic Artillery

21 hours ago, mgage said:

Hey I actually got close to max around the time of one of these!

On Monday I worked up to what were about 97-98% singles, so I entered those numbers because they are close enough to a real max.

Weight that morning was 196. Squat = 425; Poverty Bench = 245; DL = 455. All in stupid American lbs.

I thought entries from outside the official dates were only allowed if they were completed at a competition?

2 minutes ago, newbreednerd said:

I've always been too chicken to enter an actual PL competition. Maybe if I give this a go it'll lead to competing in real life???

That's how I got started and what happened. 

2 hours ago, SpecialSundae said:

I thought entries from outside the official dates were only allowed if they were completed at a competition?

I would think that in the interest of participation and camaraderie, that we would be a little lax on something like doing your lifts five days before the date listed. To me this is a perfect example of when the spirit of the law is better applied than the letter of the law. If this were a legitimate competition where someone else stood to gain or lose by my minor infraction, then I would agree with you. But in this case, why can't we just have some fun?

If this is not acceptable to the group, then I will strike my name from the record and accept my banishment into the wild.

• Like 3

I lost some lifting gains in the past month (long story short, I didn't have a weight room at the Y).  This seems like a good way to bring that bench back.  I don't know how my squat is looking yet.

• Like 1

On 09/02/2017 at 8:51 PM, mgage said:

I would think that in the interest of participation and camaraderie, that we would be a little lax on something like doing your lifts five days before the date listed. To me this is a perfect example of when the spirit of the law is better applied than the letter of the law. If this were a legitimate competition where someone else stood to gain or lose by my minor infraction, then I would agree with you. But in this case, why can't we just have some fun?

If this is not acceptable to the group, then I will strike my name from the record and accept my banishment into the wild.

Much as with other instances, I'd think that if you're liable for a title then it might not really be fair but if you're not then fair play to join in.

There's already a good degree of flexibility in the dates and the 2 week wiggle room for competitions is for those at proper meets. That's just my opinion, though. 

I've been wanting to test my 1rep maxes... looks like I'll miss out on the dates though, I've got my triathlon on the 26th! Oh well, I will be watching anyway and will just have to do them by myself in a couple of months :P

• Like 1

Heels. Bench.

9b1defd85ffc9997f45a175bc070eff3.jpg

I also use a deadlift bar. And have for the last few comps.

Which also means that anyone who posted official competition results from just about any federation other than USAPL in the United States is also out.

This comp is for fun, which it no longer is for me. Not worth my time. I'm out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah...not sure if I want to post my results due to the self elected referees. Ill give it a go anyway I guess but isn't this supposed to be just for fun?

It used to be that if you were going for the title that you had to adhere to the rules and that there was leeway if you weren't.

Flex got called up on not pausing his bench (and possibly benching on his toes) at one point.

I'm sorry if I'm being a bitch but why have rules if people can break them and win.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2017 at 2:51 PM, mgage said:

Nooo, fun>strict. Lift the iron, record the weights, save the cheerleader, save the world. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Nooo, fun>strict. Lift the iron, record the weights, save the cheerleader, save the world. 

Truth, I am sure if it comes down to a neck and neck score for the internet title and prizes then we would need to visit the small variances of form. I think treating this like a strict meet only accomplishes discouraging participation from others. Im sorry things were seen as so strict in the past but why not shoot for a more enjoyable freindly comp instead of perpetuating petty discrepancies.

Truth, I am sure if it comes down to a neck and neck score for the internet title and prizes then we would need to visit the small variances of form. I think treating this like a strict meet only accomplishes discouraging participation from others. Im sorry things were seen as so strict in the past but why not shoot for a more enjoyable freindly comp instead of perpetuating petty discrepancies.

Hence the rules previously only being strict for those going for a title.

11 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

Hence the rules previously only being strict for those going for a title.

What about just saying winners need to produce form video? Then we can only worry about the four winners. Ideally, everyone involved is training their lifts with perfect form. This lets comp newbies have safe harbor to participate and try the process virtually. Kinda letting us try on one new thing at a time. 

Edit: mid-comp form checks seem draconian. Why not wait until the end to run form checks on the winners?

• Like 1

What about just saying winners need to produce form video? Then we can only worry about the four winners. Ideally, everyone involved is training their lifts with perfect form. This lets comp newbies have safe harbor to participate and try the process virtually. Kinda letting us try on one new thing at a time. 

The only reason I called up Spezzy on her bench is because she's very definitely in the running for best female and best overall lifter and benching on the toes gives a pretty massive advantage.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

The only reason I called up Spezzy on her bench is because she's very definitely in the running for best female and best overall lifter and benching on the toes gives a pretty massive advantage.

Fair, you got no points for diplomacy, but fair. Maybe hold off on the form check until all report in? Then only the winners get to earn the losers attention on their form. 

Fair, you got no points for diplomacy, but fair. Maybe hold off on the form check until all report in? Then only the winners get to earn the losers attention on their form. 

It's not a form check. Form check is saying, "Watch out for your knees coming in." Or even, "Ooh, your depth is a bit ropey."

This is knowingly ignoring the rules set for the competition.

• Like 1

First, just to say it: the title means absolutely nothing to me, and I don't take any of this personally and don't care if I'm being used as an example of doing things wrong in this. I'm 100% good with dropping out. 

I'd actually like to open up the space for a good discussion on this.

I didn't realize we were going strictly by IPF rules. The initial post says "generally", which to me has always just meant do the lifts how you do them in training, but generally following the specs. Squat to depth, no hitching, etc. 

If I did, I'd have been ineligible for a while now. And honestly, I would have changed the rules a while ago because I personally don't agree that we should be strictly following them (I wrote out our own rules for the powerlifting competition at camp last year to be more inclusive - you can find them here - after a few people wanted to drop out the year before due to using lax IPF rules).

But lets talk about why (and btw - because just because I run the forums doesn't mean I'm just going to change the rules so I can participate, I want to have a discussion here). 

The rules for this, for me, have always been for fun.

I've seen plenty of people use deadlift bars, touch and go their bench, or have 'not quite there' squat depth and didn't think twice about counting it. The truth is, the goal of this has always been fun, and without official judges with each person or multiple angle cameras, there's no way to truly hold every person 100% accountable to the rules, even people going "for the title". I haven't seen anyone get commands from anyone else, either.

If I was a new lifter who was thinking about doing this for the first time, and saw that it was following strict IPF rules,  I would have massive anxiety and decide against competing, or be afraid to post a video. That's the opposite of what we want. We want this to be all inclusive and fun.

IPF also has an extremely limited "allowed gear" list, and none of us are wearing singlets for this. Also, I'm pretty sure the majority of people here don't have regular standard equipment that would pass the IPF test either. Lots of people using oly or beater bars and bumper plates. Bumper plates on a deadlift give an advantage - but we've always counted it because it doesn't matter - it's all for fun.

The majority of federations use a squat bar, allow different benching styles, and use a deadlift bar. 

Therefore, strictly following IPF rules means that anyone who competes in the majority of federations would not be included, including official competitions (which we have always allowed the results to count, even for title). Personally, I'm not going to change how I'm training for a real meet for this virtual one, and I think asking people to change for it is actually the opposite of the point - part of this is to test drive a real meet in a comfortable, encouraging atmosphere. Plus, changing technique for a max out day is not responsible or safe. 

Here's a comparison of international federations:

intl-feds-table2.jpg

and federations in the United states:

natl-feds-table1.jpg

I personally think rules about:

-What bar is used

-Heels / Head for bench

-What gear is used (other than geared powerlifting gear - i mean brands of knee sleeves, wraps, belts, etc)

Shouldn't really matter. 

Thoughts? (cc: @Gainsdalf the Whey)

• Like 2

Ok after consulting my lawyers on the intricacies of the rules all Spezzy has to do is shove a 30cm block under her feet then boom it all counts again! Maybe the fact that the rules post said it based on the IPF raw rules was too vague and needed to say unrelentingly following IPF Raw rules and regulations.

giphy.gif

24 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

This is actually a completely different debatable topic :) I switched this cycle because I'm doing USPA next, and they allow it, so I wanted to try it, and decided to give it an entire cycle to give it a chance, but my bench is 15lbs less than it was last year when I was benching heels down.

• Like 1

GAH! LIGHTBULB!!!! Sort of related, sort of not?

FVmxCL2.gif

@Gainsdalf the Whey would there ever be an appropriate time/interest in running a virtual comp strictly for newer lifters? Or people who have never done a comp at all? I heard about this hapenning IRL out in Michigan this year, I think @Taddea Zhaan mentioned it? And it sounded like such an awesome way to break into it in a stress free kind of way with lower stakes... Also kind of a nice bonding experience for people just getting started! 

Ah. you're getting pinged left and right. Putting it out there anyway...

• Like 4