• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gainsdalf the Whey

The Amorous Assessment of Anatomic Artillery

12 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

It's not a form check. Form check is saying, "Watch out for your knees coming in." Or even, "Ooh, your depth is a bit ropey."

This is knowingly ignoring the rules set for the competition.

nah, i've been openly not following strict IPF rules for a while now. Not knowingly, assumed it was allowed because it always has, or i've never seen it not allowed and have never had anyone question me not following IPF rules before.

1 minute ago, RedStone said:

GAH! LIGHTBULB!!!! Sort of related, sort of not?

FVmxCL2.gif

@Gainsdalf the Whey would there ever be an appropriate time/interest in running a virtual comp strictly for newer lifters? Or people who have never done a comp at all? I heard about this hapenning IRL out in Michigan this year, I think @Taddea Zhaan mentioned it? And it sounded like such an awesome way to break into it in a stress free kind of way with lower stakes... Also kind of a nice bonding experience for people just getting started! 

Ah. you're getting pinged left and right. Putting it out there anyway...

We ran different categories at Camp last year, novice, beginner, and advanced. worked really well.

There are "first timer" comps here in texas too. My first comp was a first timer comp, actually - no singlets required, but we went and had commands and such. 

We've talked about splitting it into categories before, but haven't really had enough people participate to really take action on it. 

• Like 3

Ok after consulting my lawyers on the intricacies of the rules all Spezzy has to do is shove a 30cm block under her feet then boom it all counts again! Maybe the fact that the rules post said it based on the IPF raw rules was too vague and needed to say unrelentingly following IPF Raw rules and regulations.

giphy.gif

It's not actually the same thing at all.

Just now, Laghail said:

^^^ or a comp newbie division. Maybe the NF Competition Freshman title?

rookie rankings! lol or... the n00bel prize :D 

I'll show myself out.

• Like 7

nah, i've been openly not following strict IPF rules for a while now. Not knowingly, assumed it was allowed because it always has, or i've never seen it not allowed and have never had anyone question me not following IPF rules before.

As I say, Flex Luthor was called up for not pausing his bench a while back.

No one is going to gripe about clothing or approved vs non-approved kit but we don't allow knee wraps and the lift standards were always listed as those of IPF.

The point of rules is to attempt to give a some kind of level playing field, although there will always be differing standards and ways to "cheat" the system (such as with fortunate leverages or flexibility) but why have rules at all if they are ignored by those at the top?

12 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

As I say, Flex Luthor was called up for not pausing his bench a while back.

No one is going to gripe about clothing or approved vs non-approved kit but we don't allow knee wraps and the lift standards were always listed as those of IPF.

The point of rules is to attempt to give a some kind of level playing field, although there will always be differing standards and ways to "cheat" the system (such as with fortunate leverages or flexibility) but why have rules at all if they are ignored by those at the top?

I didn't see it. I don't read every post on the forums. I've seen plenty of people pass following non IPF rules, I am not trying to hide anything, I posted videos and have talked about benching on my toes and using a deadlift bar in a lot of posts. I've been using a deadlift bar since November 2015. And as I said, I'll gladly drop out.

I'm not suggesting we don't have a level playing field, I'm suggesting we change it in the future to be more inclusive, and bring it back to the initial purpose of the meet, which is what we've done at other NerdFitness sanctioned events. The purpose of this meet is to get a whole bunch of people excited about powerlifting. This thread feels like the complete opposite.

I'm done with the conversation of if I was cheating or ignoring the rules on purpose just to win. It feels petty and accusatory and against what we're going for here on NF. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spezzy said:

I didn't see it. I don't read every post on the forums. I've seen plenty of people pass following non IPF rules, I am not trying to hide anything, I posted videos and have talked about benching on my toes and using a deadlift bar in a lot of posts. I've been using a deadlift bar since November 2015. And as I said, I'll gladly drop out.

I'm not suggesting we don't have a level playing field, I'm suggesting we change it in the future to be more inclusive, and bring it back to the initial purpose of the meet, which is what we've done at other NerdFitness sanctioned events. The purpose of this meet is to get a whole bunch of people excited about powerlifting. This thread feels like the complete opposite.

I'm done with the conversation of if I was cheating or ignoring the rules on purpose just to win. It feels petty and accusatory and against what we're going for here on NF. 

I didn't say that you were doing it to win. You have said yourself that you were ignoring the rules and I suspect you would probably win regardless, unless TeeCam or Tankweazel were in. 

The point was that we need to have a set of rules that we stick to or we call it a free for all and don't have any titles (or any leaderboards).

As with you, I don't see every post on the forums so hadn't seen conversations about benching on the toes and hadn't noticed, or commented on, the deadlift bar.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RedStone said:

rookie rankings! lol or... the n00bel prize :D 

I'll show myself out.

hahaha amazing.

i brought up the topic of different categories and how to decide who goes in what category with the warrior GLs this evening. We'll get it sorted for the next comp :)

• Like 3

As a comment on rules, I'd be happy with a "using the rules of your chosen federation" (I assume all federations utilize a pause during bench?) with the exception of the definition of raw, where I would prefer not to be competing against people using wraps (but if the consensus is to allow wraps,

I'd prefer more people to be happy competing than not).

I realize that my opinion may not be a popular one, or even a realistic one, but because no one should be taking these titles quite that seriously, I feel that it's potentially the most inclusive option.

Please note, I'm not looking to reignite an arguement, but instead to continue an important discussion regarding the future of this friendly competition.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, spezzy said:

hahaha amazing.

i brought up the topic of different categories and how to decide who goes in what category with the warrior GLs this evening. We'll get it sorted for the next comp :)

\o/ 

l2IUpep.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Juni0r83 said:

As a comment on rules, I'd be happy with a "using the rules of your chosen federation" (I assume all federations utilize a pause during bench?) with the exception of the definition of raw, where I would prefer not to be competing against people using wraps (but if the consensus is to allow wraps,

I realize that my opinion may not be a popular one, or even a realistic one, but because no one should be taking these titles quite that seriously, I feel that it's potentially the most inclusive option.

Please note, I'm not looking to reignite an arguement, but instead to continue an important discussion regarding the future of this friendly competition.

Nah, not reopening an argument. And I'm completely good with my lifts not counting - that's never been a piece of this for me.

However, what I was opening the discussion to was exactly what you stated here - that a "using the rules of your chosen federation" rules should the the rule starting at the next meet. (with the requirement that it's RAW only).

This competition is about fun and getting people excited about powerlifting, and I'm not planning on telling someone that gets up the courage and does a powerlifting meet and chooses just about any other federation other than USAPL that their lifts don't count on Nerd Fitness. 

I helped create this competition when we first started it and if I realized that we were doing that, I would have set up different rules from the start and said "use the rules of your chosen federation". IIRC I linked to the IPF rules as an example.  At the time I was just inexperienced as a powerlifter and had never competed before and didn't even realize the different federations had different rules like this.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: I have no opinion on whether there is a specific set of rules decided but I'm not sure I'm in favour of having a "choose your own federation's rules" rule. I don't mean it in a way that is exclusive for members to participate. Let me clarify though.

Disclaimer 2: I rarely participate in any communal activities of NF and my participation to the virtual competitions is even more sparse (mostly due to timing). I have been stalking them though and I hope it’s ok to express my thoughts as a mostly external, in a sense, observer. :)  Please also know that I don't mean my post in a way that will perpetuate some silly argument!

Spoiler

First of all, the way I’ve always perceived this meet is that it’s a time period where one can test their maxes in a structured manner as they’d do if they were to participate in an actual competition (that is, 3 attempts on squat, 3 on bench, 3 on deadlift). It’s something fun to do, especially if it’s been a while since you last did it and you’ve been lifting sub maximal weights for a while. Of course, aside from the attempts, a competition has also specific rules on how the lifts are performed and what equipment is used and the virtual meet is also a good way to practice that.

Now regarding the virtual competition having rules (no matter which rules), I think it gives the impression of it being a competition a bit more if there are uniform rules. It also gives the lifters who don't generally compete an idea of what to do. I also recall times in the past when other members where called on depth or not pausing etc. (but I'm not sure this has ever happened to someone who didn't ask for a form critique or someone like Flex who was in the first place on bench.)

Regarding the rules of the virtual meet. I always thought that there were two components in them, as I kinda mentioned before. 

The first component are things you can’t control or things that would cost money to control. In this category is the gym equipment that you have available (like the kind of bars, plates used, etc) and the personal equipment (belt, knee sleeves, wrist wraps etc). It would be entirely unreasonable to have rules about that as and I don’t believe that anyone would expect lifters to buy their own Eleiko competition bar for any reason (but don’t I wish I had access to one). It would also make absolutely no sense to ask from someone to buy specific personal equipment or a singlet (as long as suits weren’t used).

The second component is how the lift is performed. This is where I always thought that the IPF rules applied or almost applied (that includes all rules of IPF). 

NF has lifters from all levels as well as lifters who compete in sanctioned meets and lifters who don’t compete at all. It’s hard to find rules to include everybody. It’s also hard to be able to make sure that you follow those rules if you’re a new lifter or you lift alone or for a thousand other reasons. It's never going to be as strict as an actual competition with referees. But I always thought that this is where the “honour system” mentioned by Gainsdalf comes into play. Everyone tries to do their best (isn’t that what NF is for? Striving to improve yourself in a safe environment?) and everyone is happy to cheer each other up but, from my point of view, I’d also kinda expect that the advanced lifters (in terms of strength, competition participation, etc) who have better awareness of lifts and of how the rules of a competition work, to follow these rules (once they’ve been clarified, btw the link in the post hasn’t worked in quite a while). I don't mean that in a way of using the rules to disqualify/exclude people but as a way for the more experienced lifters to demonstrate how a competition works. 

The "choose the rules of your own federation" seems to me that it would appeal more to lifters who have competed or are planning to compete and are already in touch with some set of rules. If I was supposed to take part in a virtual meet without knowing about the federations then I would feel like I have to find a set of rules and choose from, which I'd find stressful. 

I have two different suggestions:

1) Rolling rules, each competition gets its own set of rules (there are not that many variations anyway).

2) Also, something like this has been mentioned before, a competition for lifters who haven't competed before at all (not even in the virtual meet). It might be even less stressful and it could be like a test drive of the test drive. 

• Like 3

I think this is totally a valid discussion worth having for future virtual competitions.

I think opening it up for looser rules would be good to hopefully get more participation and make it less threatening for newer people to jump in. Or people who know they won't get a title.

It also brings up the issue of places like CNF competition counting. I know there was a handful of us that competed in fall and the rules there were not strictly IPF. How many other people have competed non-IPF and submitted lifts.

I'm down for whatever gets more people participating :)

• Like 2

Disclaimer: I'm not participating this round, I'm not even close to a title on the forums (or anywhere else) and I train for USAPL anyway.  But I do want to participate in the future and overall I just hate to see something get complicated when it was meant to be fun.

13 minutes ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

First of all, the way I’ve always perceived this meet is that it’s a time period where one can test their maxes in a structured manner as they’d do if they were to participate in an actual competition (that is, 3 attempts on squat, 3 on bench, 3 on deadlift). It’s something fun to do, especially if it’s been a while since you last did it and you’ve been lifting sub maximal weights for a while.

Same.

2 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

It also brings up the issue of places like CNF competition counting. I know there was a handful of us that competed in fall and the rules there were not strictly IPF. How many other people have competed non-IPF and submitted lifts.

True -- we didn't pause on bench or have any commands (unless we asked for them), and I'm pretty sure I didn't hit depth on at least one of my squats though all were counted.  It was my first meet experience. I had a lot of fun, made friends with the people around me and hit a PR on all three lifts.  It gave me the boost I needed to sign up for an actual meet as soon as I got back from camp.

I guess this would be a great time to get that goals sheet out and work back to what this virtual competition is really about :)

• Like 1

I can totally understand sticking to the rules of competition for your chosen federation if you're actually doing a competition and submitting your lifts, but where does that put 24 hour weigh ins? Or open drug use, for that matter?

Perhaps those who have competed at National level or above step back from the competition entirely?

This basically comes down to a disagreement about one aspect of bench, which can make a big difference to the weight lifted for a lot of people.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which rules do the lifters who aren't competing follow? I know that not everyone competes in USAPL (or let's go with their "local IPF affiliate", as plenty of us don't live in the USA) but it's the biggest powerlifting federation worldwide, so would it not actually make sense to stick with those standards of lifting as a basis?

5 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

What were the rules that were used, out of interest?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Disclaimer: I have no opinion on whether there is a specific set of rules decided but I'm not sure I'm in favour of having a "choose your own federation's rules" rule. I don't mean it in a way that is exclusive for members to participate. Let me clarify though.

Disclaimer 2: I rarely participate in any communal activities of NF and my participation to the virtual competitions is even more sparse (mostly due to timing). I have been stalking them though and I hope it’s ok to express my thoughts as a mostly external, in a sense, observer. :)  Please also know that I don't mean my post in a way that will perpetuate some silly argument!

Hide contents

First of all, the way I’ve always perceived this meet is that it’s a time period where one can test their maxes in a structured manner as they’d do if they were to participate in an actual competition (that is, 3 attempts on squat, 3 on bench, 3 on deadlift). It’s something fun to do, especially if it’s been a while since you last did it and you’ve been lifting sub maximal weights for a while. Of course, aside from the attempts, a competition has also specific rules on how the lifts are performed and what equipment is used and the virtual meet is also a good way to practice that.

Now regarding the virtual competition having rules (no matter which rules), I think it gives the impression of it being a competition a bit more if there are uniform rules. It also gives the lifters who don't generally compete an idea of what to do. I also recall times in the past when other members where called on depth or not pausing etc. (but I'm not sure this has ever happened to someone who didn't ask for a form critique or someone like Flex who was in the first place on bench.)

Regarding the rules of the virtual meet. I always thought that there were two components in them, as I kinda mentioned before. 

The first component are things you can’t control or things that would cost money to control. In this category is the gym equipment that you have available (like the kind of bars, plates used, etc) and the personal equipment (belt, knee sleeves, wrist wraps etc). It would be entirely unreasonable to have rules about that as and I don’t believe that anyone would expect lifters to buy their own Eleiko competition bar for any reason (but don’t I wish I had access to one). It would also make absolutely no sense to ask from someone to buy specific personal equipment or a singlet (as long as suits weren’t used).

The second component is how the lift is performed. This is where I always thought that the IPF rules applied or almost applied (that includes all rules of IPF). 

NF has lifters from all levels as well as lifters who compete in sanctioned meets and lifters who don’t compete at all. It’s hard to find rules to include everybody. It’s also hard to be able to make sure that you follow those rules if you’re a new lifter or you lift alone or for a thousand other reasons. It's never going to be as strict as an actual competition with referees. But I always thought that this is where the “honour system” mentioned by Gainsdalf comes into play. Everyone tries to do their best (isn’t that what NF is for? Striving to improve yourself in a safe environment?) and everyone is happy to cheer each other up but, from my point of view, I’d also kinda expect that the advanced lifters (in terms of strength, competition participation, etc) who have better awareness of lifts and of how the rules of a competition work, to follow these rules (once they’ve been clarified, btw the link in the post hasn’t worked in quite a while). I don't mean that in a way of using the rules to disqualify/exclude people but as a way for the more experienced lifters to demonstrate how a competition works. 

The "choose the rules of your own federation" seems to me that it would appeal more to lifters who have competed or are planning to compete and are already in touch with some set of rules. If I was supposed to take part in a virtual meet without knowing about the federations then I would feel like I have to find a set of rules and choose from, which I'd find stressful. 

1) Rolling rules, each competition gets its own set of rules (there are not that many variations anyway).

2) Also, something like this has been mentioned before, a competition for lifters who haven't competed before at all (not even in the virtual meet). It might be even less stressful and it could be like a test drive of the test drive. 

Im quoting your whole post here but only responding to one small part because I'm on my phone and half asleep (2:38 am). 

If people havent yet selected a preferred fed, or don't know where to start, SS has a point, the IPF is by sheer weight of competitors the largest fed in the world (also effectively my only choice locally), and so makes a good basis for rules.

the "use your Feds rules" idea was specifically for people who train for other Feds and don't want to deviate from training for an online title (deadlift bars at very least make a huge difference to the way you deadlift).

As for a couple of SS's concerns:

1) 24 hour weigh in should only count for a sanctioned meet

2) I've never seen anyone accuse or say literally anything to any NF member about various WADA banned substances outside of a discussion around being aware of which supplements may cause a positive drug test. My point here is: if someone in NF was using PEDs, who among us is going to catch them out? Or stop them? I think for this one we're just going to have to accept whoever wants to compete.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Juni0r83 said:

As for a couple of SS's concerns:

1) 24 hour weigh in should only count for a sanctioned meet

2) I've never seen anyone accuse or say literally anything to any NF member about various WADA banned substances outside of a discussion around being aware of which supplements may cause a positive drug test. My point here is: if someone in NF was using PEDs, who among us is going to catch them out? Or stop them? I think for this one we're just going to have to accept whoever wants to compete.

Don't worry, there was no accusation implied regarding drug use, but it's one of the biggest differences between feds (along with 24 hour weigh-ins, knee wraps and monolifts).

1 minute ago, Juni0r83 said:

Im quoting your whole post here but only responding to one small part because I'm on my phone and half asleep (2:38 am). 

If people havent yet selected a preferred fed, or don't know where to start, SS has a point, the IPF is by sheer weight of competitors the largest fed in the world (also effectively my only choice locally), and so makes a good basis for rules.

the "use your Feds rules" idea was specifically for people who train for other Feds and don't want to deviate from training for an online title (deadlift bars at very least make a huge difference to the way you deadlift).

That's what I've been trying to convey. The discussion about the rules at this point is about lifters who already compete and I'm not sure it represents the vast majority of NF members (although I'm always happy to see more members compete, I'm chickening out in this aspect). Especially the members who could go for a "title" are very few. btw, I don't see why anyone would care for an online title on a fun meet to be honest. 

Alternative suggestion would be that there is a specific set of rules and whoever wants to compete with other rules just doesn't go for a "title", if "the title" is important. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

That's what I've been trying to convey. The discussion about the rules at this point is about lifters who already compete and I'm not sure it represents the vast majority of NF members (although I'm always happy to see more members compete, I'm chickening out in this aspect). Especially the members who could go for a "title" are very few. btw, I don't see why anyone would care for an online title on a fun meet to be honest. 

Alternative suggestion would be that there is a specific set of rules and whoever wants to compete with other rules just doesn't go for a "title", if "the title" is important. 

Yup. You can literally put in a flow chart of it... i.e. if TW enters, she wins; if TW doesn't enter and Spezzy peaks, Spezzy wins; if Spezzy enters but doesn't peak and TeeCam does, TeeCam will probably win. Etc. Etc. Etc. (Clearly just women, but I know all their Wilks better.)

• Like 1

On 2/9/2017 at 3:51 PM, mgage said:

I would think that in the interest of participation and camaraderie, that we would be a little lax on something like doing your lifts five days before the date listed. To me this is a perfect example of when the spirit of the law is better applied than the letter of the law. If this were a legitimate competition where someone else stood to gain or lose by my minor infraction, then I would agree with you. But in this case, why can't we just have some fun?

If this is not acceptable to the group, then I will strike my name from the record and accept my banishment into the wild.

This is what the 2 week window is supposed to provide vs a 2 day weekend or something. There has to be some kind of limit on the window though, and I typically just require a good excuse to count things outside of it. Another competition (where the virtual one would be too soon after for proper recovery or too close so the outside comp would be affected) is just explicitly called out because it's the most common one. I've made exceptions for injuries and generic life events before as well.

That said, you still need to have proper notice so you can plan your training or max testing to be in that window if you'd like to participate, and I've sucked at giving that notice, and I apologize. I'm going to try to be better about that in the future. I need to post the schedule somewhere way ahead of time and stick to it.

The next two virtual competitions will be at the end of challenges 5 (late June) and 8 (early October). @SpecialSundae , can you add these to the meet list? @spezzy, anyway to add them to the main challenge date list, like an asterisk or something with a note at the end?

18 hours ago, spezzy said:

The rules for this, for me, have always been for fun... The truth is, the goal of this has always been fun...

I personally think rules about:

-What bar is used

-Heels / Head for bench

-What gear is used (other than geared powerlifting gear - i mean brands of knee sleeves, wraps, belts, etc)

Shouldn't really matter. 

Thoughts? (cc: @Gainsdalf the Whey)

(above was truncated for purpose of highlighting the relevant parts of the quote)

6 hours ago, Juni0r83 said:

1 hour ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

The virtual meet is supposed to be fun and most importantly extremely inclusive, the IPF rules are probably the worst to be using as they're the most restrictive. The rules we use should allow most lifts from most federations to count so people from all of them can participate and lift  the way they've trained.

That said, this time will be the last we're using the IPF rules. I'm going to work with Spezzy the other guild leaders to come up with a draft set of rules, then post them for discussion well before the next virtual comp. This way we can have a forum discussion about them, get everyone's input, and update that draft for the next competition. May take a few iterations to nail them down, but the point will be rules that are widely inclusive, but still limit people from trying to cheat the system.

18 hours ago, RedStone said:

@Gainsdalf the Whey would there ever be an appropriate time/interest in running a virtual comp strictly for newer lifters? Or people who have never done a comp at all? I heard about this hapenning IRL out in Michigan this year, I think @Taddea Zhaan mentioned it? And it sounded like such an awesome way to break into it in a stress free kind of way with lower stakes... Also kind of a nice bonding experience for people just getting started! 

Ah. you're getting pinged left and right. Putting it out there anyway...

11 hours ago, spezzy said:

This will be discussed and posted as part of the rules thread and rough draft of rules I talked about above. In the past, I've been reluctant to make more categories due to people winning them by default, which has occurred with the weightlifting title already, but we can figure something out. If it's going to increase participation and fun, I'm all for figuring something out.

59 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

I can totally understand sticking to the rules of competition for your chosen federation if you're actually doing a competition and submitting your lifts, but where does that put 24 hour weigh ins? Or open drug use, for that matter?

Perhaps those who have competed at National level or above step back from the competition entirely?

This basically comes down to a disagreement about one aspect of bench, which can make a big difference to the weight lifted for a lot of people.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which rules do the lifters who aren't competing follow? I know that not everyone competes in USAPL (or let's go with their "local IPF affiliate", as plenty of us don't live in the USA) but it's the biggest powerlifting federation worldwide, so would it not actually make sense to stick with those standards of lifting as a basis?

What were the rules that were used, out of interest?

As for weigh in times and open PED use, that can be part of the discussion we'll have in the rules thread. I'm guessing it'll be weigh in the day of and no PED use since people who are doing serious weight or hormonal manipulation will be taking things way too seriously for the fun, inclusive atmosphere this is supped to be.

I've considered the whole "if you competed nationally, don't compete here" thing to try to increase participation here from new people, but it ends up working against inclusiveness. The big lifts inspire newer people to strive to get stronger. If the goal is to get people to compete in sanctioned meets, we'd end up with no competitors here eventually if we got everyone to successfully do that. I personally train just for the virtual meets now and only plan on doing local sanctioned meets once in awhile from now on, nationals is too much of a hassle for something I'm never going to win, though it was nice to compete there once. That's something else we can talk about as part of the rules discussion though.

Link to camp competition rules: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EHAzlm5U6VYXNjFjVSHOayuMF8G-HU8WuAyr-kgsI7E/edit#

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

The virtual meet is supposed to be fun and most importantly extremely inclusive,

I don't disagree there at all!

the IPF rules are probably the worst to be using as they're the most restrictive.

Also true! To be fair they are also the hardest to find "advantages" though.

This way we can have a forum discussion about them, get everyone's input, and update that draft for the next competition. May take a few iterations to nail them down, but the point will be rules that are widely inclusive, but still limit people from trying to cheat the system.

I have no arguments there. My point was not to necessarily keep the IPF rules. (Although, I will not hide that I like them. Even though I don't compete, my coach still tries to reinforce the rules when I'm lifting so I'm used to thinking in that way). My point was that I'm in favour of having one uniform set of rules for everybody!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

The next two virtual competitions will be at the end of challenges 5 (late June) and 8 (early October). @SpecialSundae , can you add these to the meet list? @spezzy, anyway to add them to the main challenge date list, like an asterisk or something with a note at the end?

[...]

Link to camp competition rules: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EHAzlm5U6VYXNjFjVSHOayuMF8G-HU8WuAyr-kgsI7E/edit#

I'll get those added shortly.

Thanks for the link to the rules from Camp. I guess as long as there's a set of rules that is stuck to, I don't see there's a huge problem. It's just annoying when there are rules and they're ignored.

8 minutes ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

This is what the 2 week window is supposed to provide vs a 2 day weekend or something. There has to be some kind of limit on the window though, and I typically just require a good excuse to count things outside of it. Another competition (where the virtual one would be too soon after for proper recovery or too close so the outside comp would be affected) is just explicitly called out because it's the most common one. I've made exceptions for injuries and generic life events before as well.

I understand and I get that it makes sense for there to be some kind of limit as opposed to lifting anarchy.

I guess I just always thought the best way to approach something like this was with a more lighthearted attitude. I'm not saying you don't do this, but this whole thread I don't think is going to encourage participation among the population at large. Maybe I'm wrong, though. But it's ok with me if I'm not considered in the running for a title. I was just excited that I actually peaked near the time this was happening and I could post in the group and participate.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mgage said:

I understand and I get that it makes sense for there to be some kind of limit as opposed to lifting anarchy.

I guess I just always thought the best way to approach something like this was with a more lighthearted attitude. I'm not saying you don't do this, but this whole thread I don't think is going to encourage participation among the population at large. Maybe I'm wrong, though. But it's ok with me if I'm not considered in the running for a title. I was just excited that I actually peaked near the time this was happening and I could post in the group and participate.

By all means, post and participate, I just wont' consider you for a title come title time unless you retest.

Not related to the above quote, I'm not competing this time. I was dumb and went heavy squatting after not lifting for 4 months or so as I was pushing  to get 90% back by the end of the window. Ended up tweaking my low back and was laid up friday night and saturday, but at least I noticed it and took the action to rest instead of pushing to a full on throw out. Wife was not happy taking care of the kids on her own.

• Like 2