• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gainsdalf the Whey

The Amorous Assessment of Anatomic Artillery

2 minutes ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

By all means, post and participate, I just wont' consider you for a title come title time unless you retest.

Not related to the above quote, I'm not competing this time. I was dumb and went heavy squatting after not lifting for 4 months or so as I was pushing  to get 90% back by the end of the window. Ended up tweaking my low back and was laid up friday night and saturday, but at least I noticed it and took the action to rest instead of pushing to a full on throw out. Wife was not happy taking care of the kids on her own.

:( Sorry to hear about your back. :(

Currently recovering from a fairly major hip flexor strain and had to pull back massively on my squat training.

1 hour ago, SpecialSundae said:

I can totally understand sticking to the rules of competition for your chosen federation if you're actually doing a competition and submitting your lifts, but where does that put 24 hour weigh ins? Or open drug use, for that matter?

Perhaps those who have competed at National level or above step back from the competition entirely?

This basically comes down to a disagreement about one aspect of bench, which can make a big difference to the weight lifted for a lot of people.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which rules do the lifters who aren't competing follow? I know that not everyone competes in USAPL (or let's go with their "local IPF affiliate", as plenty of us don't live in the USA) but it's the biggest powerlifting federation worldwide, so would it not actually make sense to stick with those standards of lifting as a basis?

What were the rules that were used, out of interest?

59 minutes ago, Juni0r83 said:

Im quoting your whole post here but only responding to one small part because I'm on my phone and half asleep (2:38 am). 

If people havent yet selected a preferred fed, or don't know where to start, SS has a point, the IPF is by sheer weight of competitors the largest fed in the world (also effectively my only choice locally), and so makes a good basis for rules.

the "use your Feds rules" idea was specifically for people who train for other Feds and don't want to deviate from training for an online title (deadlift bars at very least make a huge difference to the way you deadlift).

As for a couple of SS's concerns:

1) 24 hour weigh in should only count for a sanctioned meet

2) I've never seen anyone accuse or say literally anything to any NF member about various WADA banned substances outside of a discussion around being aware of which supplements may cause a positive drug test. My point here is: if someone in NF was using PEDs, who among us is going to catch them out? Or stop them? I think for this one we're just going to have to accept whoever wants to compete.

53 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

Don't worry, there was no accusation implied regarding drug use, but it's one of the biggest differences between feds (along with 24 hour weigh-ins, knee wraps and monolifts).

52 minutes ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

That's what I've been trying to convey. The discussion about the rules at this point is about lifters who already compete and I'm not sure it represents the vast majority of NF members (although I'm always happy to see more members compete, I'm chickening out in this aspect). Especially the members who could go for a "title" are very few. btw, I don't see why anyone would care for an online title on a fun meet to be honest. 

Alternative suggestion would be that there is a specific set of rules and whoever wants to compete with other rules just doesn't go for a "title", if "the title" is important. 

Bulk quote, but a few comments:

Federation-wise:

-When I lived in Massachusetts, RPS and APA were the two federations. In order to compete in USAPL, I'd often have to drive at least 5-6 hours to PA. IPF affiliate wasn't easily available. Now that I'm in Texas, they're around, but not nearly as often, and usually a further drive (2-4hr). I'm sure there are others who just don't have IPF affiliated meets in their area.

-I'm not a fan of telling people they should choose IPF affiliated meets over other meets that may be a better fit for their life. For your first meet, you should just pick a meet that's close and looks fun.

-I'm not going to get into the arguments or politics of one federation being better than another, because I don't think one is. I think they all have their merits (as well as demerits). I'd rather NerdFitness not be "IPF affiliated". I chose to switch federations for many reasons, none of which were more lenient rules (USPA meets are often closer, it's the federation that all of my friends compete in, I prefer lifting with a deadlift bar, there's a drug tested division now, just to name a few). 

Rules Wise:

-I think we could say "rules of the federation you're competing in (for raw) or follow our rules here" where we outline a simplified version of the rules. Honestly, for a lot of newbies, official rulebooks (for ANY federation) are long and detailed and really freak you out, and make you feel like you have no idea what you're doing, and start the overwhelming spiral of doubt that maybe you shouldn't do this after all. Official raw meets count, 

-I don't think we need to allow knee wraps and monolifts. Allowing knee wraps would go into a different category for me, and monolifts typically aren't used in meets unless you're a wrapped or geared lifter. 

-This has actually opened up a bigger question and isn't just about a single bench press rule. There are a lot of things that people have been doing (tng bench is one of them) that has been counting. A concise set of rules that make everything clear would be helpful for everyone, especially the newbies.

Weigh Ins:
We've always said weigh in the day you lift, but haven't asked people to follow a 2 hour rule. For camp, people weighed in 3 days before, actually. I think putting an hour limit on it is adding unnecessary restrictions, as unless it's an official meet, I doubt anyone is going to do an extreme weight cut for the virtual powerlifting meet. Personally I have no problem with counting an official meet weigh in, even if it's a 24 hour weigh in. I understand that some people definitely don't agree with this, but in the past, we've always just included the official meet weigh in and never questioned it, even if it was a 24 hour weigh in. (At least, I've never seen someone's weight get questioned). I think the only people this would matter for are the advanced lifters anyway, honestly. 

PEDs / WADA / etc: 

I'm actually really surprised this was brought up. We aren't drug testing now, even though we're following IPF rules. It's an honor system. I've never even suspected anyone was using, and if they were, I'm not sure this would be the outlet in which they would be trying to cheat out the competition by using. I don't think anyone here choosing to do their first meet in a non IPF affiliated federation is choosing non IPF so they can use PEDs.

47 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

Yup. You can literally put in a flow chart of it... i.e. if TW enters, she wins; if TW doesn't enter and Spezzy peaks, Spezzy wins; if Spezzy enters but doesn't peak and TeeCam does, TeeCam will probably win. Etc. Etc. Etc. (Clearly just women, but I know all their Wilks better.)

And I actually hate this. One of the suggestions I made to the GL's before was that if you've won before, you go into a different category, or that you're not eligible again.  I'd rather not have the same people win every time, even if that means I don't ever win. I actually didn't even put myself as eligible to win at the camp meet, even though I played along.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

That said, you still need to have proper notice so you can plan your training or max testing to be in that window if you'd like to participate, and I've sucked at giving that notice, and I apologize. I'm going to try to be better about that in the future. I need to post the schedule somewhere way ahead of time and stick to it.

This would be one of the most useful bits for me personally :) If I have comps on the calendar, ok, training revolves around that end of story, but to have something like this to arrange a 3 month training block around :onthego: Kind of perfect to go on the calendar! Solves any scheduling conflicts ;) thanks! (And again, baby, back, life the universe and everything, thanks for doing what you can, and feel better!!)

1 hour ago, spezzy said:

And I actually hate this. One of the suggestions I made to the GL's before was that if you've won before, you go into a different category, or that you're not eligible again.  I'd rather not have the same people win every time, even if that means I don't ever win. I actually didn't even put myself as eligible to win at the camp meet, even though I played along.

I go back and forth on this. It's more realistic to real competition - there's gonna be some top lifters there! And you're gonna learn from them and it's gonna be awesome :DBut also maybe scary or off putting or disheartening for a n00b that wouldn't even be thinking about a comp. So in a just-for-fun arena, it's kind of like, you know you're not going to win, and the rules don't matter unless you're not going for a title? Then why...? So, I dunno, it seems like it would be less stressful and more fun for everyone to have simple clear regulations that reflect their experience levels, while new folks can still watch and learn from the other levels. Just my inexperienced 2c ;) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedStone said:

This would be one of the most useful bits for me personally :) If I have comps on the calendar, ok, training revolves around that end of story, but to have something like this to arrange a 3 month training block around :onthego: Kind of perfect to go on the calendar! Solves any scheduling conflicts ;) thanks! (And again, baby, back, life the universe and everything, thanks for doing what you can, and feel better!!)

I go back and forth on this. It's more realistic to real competition - there's gonna be some top lifters there! And you're gonna learn from them and it's gonna be awesome :DBut also maybe scary or off putting or disheartening for a n00b that wouldn't even be thinking about a comp. So in a just-for-fun arena, it's kind of like, you know you're not going to win, and the rules don't matter unless you're not going for a title? Then why...? So, I dunno, it seems like it would be less stressful and more fun for everyone to have simple clear regulations that reflect their experience levels, while new folks can still watch and learn from the other levels. Just my inexperienced 2c ;) 

Yeah, at camp we did Novice, Beginner, and Advanced, and each had a winner, but then there was also an overall winner :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mgage said:

I understand and I get that it makes sense for there to be some kind of limit as opposed to lifting anarchy.

I guess I just always thought the best way to approach something like this was with a more lighthearted attitude. I'm not saying you don't do this, but this whole thread I don't think is going to encourage participation among the population at large. Maybe I'm wrong, though. But it's ok with me if I'm not considered in the running for a title. I was just excited that I actually peaked near the time this was happening and I could post in the group and participate.

Is there any reason you can't still lift again? If you got close to a max, why not go for it again sometime this week?

I'd just hate to see you drop out.

• Like 1

Is there any reason you can't still lift again? If you got close to a max, why not go for it again sometime this week?

I'd just hate to see you drop out.

I'm doing programming created by a coach so it doesn't really work out. I did singles last week, but then it was into a volume block (6 sets of 10 this week on squat, bench, and DL). So not really in the cards. That's not to say I couldn't still hit 95% or so, but no reason at this point to mess with the programming or add stress on an already tough week.

i will be trying this out this upcoming saturday! i have no idea what any of the federations are or what rules are what so i'm just going to do the lifts the way i normally do (especially since i'm not looking to title). it'll be good to just go through the motions of figuring out what my attempts should be and how to warm up...

speaking of warming up - does anyone have a brief opinion on the best way to do this before attempting?

i will hopefully coerce SO to film my lifts and then will probably post just the bests as i know nothing about how to patch together videos of three attempts and wouldn't want to bog down a post with 9 videos.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CourtnieMarie said:

i will be trying this out this upcoming saturday! i have no idea what any of the federations are or what rules are what so i'm just going to do the lifts the way i normally do (especially since i'm not looking to title). it'll be good to just go through the motions of figuring out what my attempts should be and how to warm up...

speaking of warming up - does anyone have a brief opinion on the best way to do this before attempting?

i will hopefully coerce SO to film my lifts and then will probably post just the bests as i know nothing about how to patch together videos of three attempts and wouldn't want to bog down a post with 9 videos.

Not sure what numbers you're going for, but based on your most recent challenge where you've hit 105 for 8 on squat, 85x5x4 on bench, and 160x6x2 on deadlift, I'd guess your maxes are around 160 Squat / 115 Bench / 225 Deadlift.

So I usually do a lot of warm ups up front, then taper them towards my max, and make decent size jumps.

For 160, I'd likely do:

45 - 2 sets of 5 to really warm up. 

75 - 5 - this is about 45-50%

95 - 3 - add 20lbs

115 - 1 - add 20lbs

135 - 1 - add 15lbs 

150 - 1 - add 15lbs

160 - 1 - add 10lbs

For attempts, I really like this article: https://www.dellanave.com/powerlifting-attempt-selection-for-not-dummies/

• Like 2

Finally caught up and my eyes hurt.  Going to run through my OLY lifts this week and my PL lifts probably next week when my Wendler programming switches to singles.  B)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

The next two virtual competitions will be at the end of challenges 5 (late June) and 8 (early October). @SpecialSundae , can you add these to the meet list? @spezzy, anyway to add them to the main challenge date list, like an asterisk or something with a note at the end?

That's them now on the calendar.

I would fully support a separate category for previous winners, even if it means I'm likely to never take another title again. It would allow for new lifters take titles, and allow for the old hands to continue to compete against each other in the true spirit of friendly competition.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, spezzy said:

Not sure what numbers you're going for, but based on your most recent challenge where you've hit 105 for 8 on squat, 85x5x4 on bench, and 160x6x2 on deadlift, I'd guess your maxes are around 160 Squat / 115 Bench / 225 Deadlift.

So I usually do a lot of warm ups up front, then taper them towards my max, and make decent size jumps.

For 160, I'd likely do:

45 - 2 sets of 5 to really warm up. 

75 - 5 - this is about 45-50%

95 - 3 - add 20lbs

115 - 1 - add 20lbs

135 - 1 - add 15lbs 

150 - 1 - add 15lbs

160 - 1 - add 10lbs

For attempts, I really like this article: https://www.dellanave.com/powerlifting-attempt-selection-for-not-dummies/

this is extremely helpful! thank you for taking the time to write that out.

11 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Finally caught up and my eyes hurt.  Going to run through my OLY lifts this week and my PL lifts probably next week when my Wendler programming switches to singles.  B)

Why do you capitalize OLY like it's an acronym?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

Why do you capitalize OLY like it's an acronym?

Not like an acronym, more like I'm yelling it because it's super duper important.  ;)

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Juni0r83 said:

I would fully support a separate category for previous winners

Like they had in the last Hunger Games movie? (Edit to say I guess there were books, too.)

• Like 4

I put my #s in the google sheet, hopefully I did it right.  It was my first time going for a true max after finishing rehab on my knee last year.  I was a little disappointed in the clean, but happy w/ my snatch, it was closer to my (admittedly crappy) PR than I expected.  Definitely won't be doing the powerlifting though, based on today I don't think my knee is ready to handle heavy squats - I just couldn't drop under the bar properly once it got actual weight on it.  I definitely know what to work on for next time.

• Like 3

Okay, did my lifts today and things didn't  really go as planned.

Squat, Opened at 210kg (which is actually the same weight I opened for at my competition last November) and everything felt nice and easy

Followed it up with 222.5kg, 5kg off my previous 1RM and it felt like it'd just about double in weight.

Third attempt was 235kg and I was a little nervous climbing under the bar, especially seeing as the cheap bars my gym uses tend to really start flexing as you climb up over 220kg.

Anyway, I hit the bottom and bounced right up out of it nice and comfortable. So everything went well there.

Bench I opened at 137.5kg which is a little low but I was attempting to preserve my strength for attempt 3. The bar popped up off my chest nicely and lockout felt easy.

Second attempt I screwed up my bar math and only put 142.5 on the bar instead of 147.5kg. But, as expected, it felt really easy, and flew off my chest. It really does feel good to know that I can consistently bench 3 plates these days, that's a big personal milestone. Next one is 4 plates.

Third attempt was 155kg, and I was afraid that the jump was too big and I wasn't going to be ready for the weight. But never the less I brought the bar down to my chest, paused, and slammed everything I had into it. It didn't even grind or anything, easy lift.

Deadlift is where I really screwed up.

I opened for 215kg, and despite feeling like a tonne of bricks, the bar moved fairly well.

Second attempt was 227.5kg, but I mustn't have been tight enough because I got the bar about 3 inches off the ground and everything just kind of fell apart. I knew I had it in me, so I went back for my third and hit it. When I was done I knew I could have gotten at least 235 (my previous 1RM), and maybe even my goal today of 240kg, but my third attempt was up, so, no bueno.

Anyway, that was my virtual comp, and I wish everyone the best of luck!

• Like 7

Just now, SpecialSundae said:

Your Wilks are really ramping up there, sir! :D 

I was really hoping for a 350 today, but I'll take the jump I got.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

My Wilks are going to be well down even if I have a really good day on Sunday. :( 

I'm going to suggest you do something that I struggle with: focus on the long game. If you're with a good coach who is taking you toward something bigger and better (and it certainly sounds like you are) then there will be brighter days ahead.

• Like 3

Just now, Juni0r83 said:

I'm going to suggest you do something that I struggle with: focus on the long game. If you're with a good coach who is taking you toward something bigger and better (and it certainly sounds like you are) then there will be brighter days ahead.

It will get better, just having a rough time of it of late.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Juni0r83 said:

Okay, did my lifts today and things didn't  really go as planned.

Squat, Opened at 210kg (which is actually the same weight I opened for at my competition last November) and everything felt nice and easy

Followed it up with 222.5kg, 5kg off my previous 1RM and it felt like it'd just about double in weight.

Third attempt was 235kg and I was a little nervous climbing under the bar, especially seeing as the cheap bars my gym uses tend to really start flexing as you climb up over 220kg.

Anyway, I hit the bottom and bounced right up out of it nice and comfortable. So everything went well there.

Bench I opened at 137.5kg which is a little low but I was attempting to preserve my strength for attempt 3. The bar popped up off my chest nicely and lockout felt easy.

Second attempt I screwed up my bar math and only put 142.5 on the bar instead of 147.5kg. But, as expected, it felt really easy, and flew off my chest. It really does feel good to know that I can consistently bench 3 plates these days, that's a big personal milestone. Next one is 4 plates.

Third attempt was 155kg, and I was afraid that the jump was too big and I wasn't going to be ready for the weight. But never the less I brought the bar down to my chest, paused, and slammed everything I had into it. It didn't even grind or anything, easy lift.

Deadlift is where I really screwed up.

I opened for 215kg, and despite feeling like a tonne of bricks, the bar moved fairly well.

Second attempt was 227.5kg, but I mustn't have been tight enough because I got the bar about 3 inches off the ground and everything just kind of fell apart. I knew I had it in me, so I went back for my third and hit it. When I was done I knew I could have gotten at least 235 (my previous 1RM), and maybe even my goal today of 240kg, but my third attempt was up, so, no bueno.

Anyway, that was my virtual comp, and I wish everyone the best of luck!

That still sounds like a good day, even if it didn't go as planned.

• Like 3

On 2/14/2017 at 9:37 AM, Rurik Harrgath said:

Not like an acronym, more like I'm yelling it because it's super duper important.  ;)

Is this kind of like how parkour only works if you yell it? PARKOUR!!!

R5hVEoJ.gif

• Like 1