• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gainsdalf the Whey

The Amorous Assessment of Anatomic Artillery

Well, the lifts are in and while they aren't spectacular I am happy with them.  Looking back over my training log it looks like I haven't really been lifting "heavy" in almost a year.  After dropping 20kg and having my lifts suffer as a result didn't help.  Also, my training has been all over the place.

That being said, in the past few months I have kept to 5/3/1 and gotten back on track.

The squats were 90/100/110.  The bar was nice and fast, I am particularly happy with this as I haven't put more than 100kg on my back in over a year.

The bench is my worst lift, I have long, skinny arm and thin wrists, so anything is an improvement 70x(no pause), 80 and then 90 were paused.

Finally the dead, it was what I expected it to be, 90/110/120, also haven't done anything near this weight in over a year.

Overall, not bad.  The next challenge however, I will do much much better. My strength is only getting better.

Just out of curiousity, does this challange count as a "virtual meet"?

• Like 3

Ranger checking in with his score... lost a few wilks in regard to last year (probably due to DL)

Weight 83 KG

Squat:

#1 135 kg: made it

#2 145 kg: made it (not sure if depth was good)

#3 150 kg: failed

Benchpress:

#1 80 kg: made it

#2 85 kg: made it (but it was a VERY ugly grind)

#3 90 kg: failed

Deadlift:

#1 127.5 kg: made it

#2 did not try

#3 ...

Summary

I was a bit nervous as the last time i did anything that resembles heavy sets was with the previous virtual meet in the fall. And i am rehabilitating my lower back (which has been fine for a couple of weeks now, due to a huge deload and slowly increasing weights in deadlift like liffts)

The Squat felt solid, heavy but solid. And i'm glad i broke my previous 1RM by 5KG, which is a reinforcement of my idea that the juggernaut is really paying off (even when i'm only halfway through the program). The bench has been feeling great for as long as i'm doing Juggernaut so i was really curious to see how far this has come. I knew it was a lot better than it previous was, so my first attempt was already a shiny new +5kg PR (previous 75 KG). And i even got the second attempt after a long and grindy rep for a +10KG PR, new 1RM 85KG (BW+).

Due to the heavy squat i already felt my aggravated muscle in the back, so i just did some warming up deadlifting, till i was at my first attempt which went reasonably well, but decided to keep it at that not to aggravate the muscle anymore. Which is a good call, as i can feel it pretty good now (day after).

Forgot to make vids of the deadlifting, but made some for the SQ and BP. Will insert later

### sidenote, the weights on the lifting sheet differ by 1.2 kg, as my barbell (and clamps) weigh 18.7, but i always calculate my bar as being a 17.5kg bar ###

• Like 5

Did my lifts on Saturday! weighed in at 78kg

Squat: 50/54.5/59

everything’s a PR since I haven’t back squatted in more than a year

Spoiler

59kg

Bench: 45/50/52

50 stuck a bit on it’s way up so I decided to go for 52 instead of 54.5

Spoiler

52kg/

DL: 88.5/93/102x

102 would not come up double overhand. I was not happy. So I did it again with a mixed grip and got it, but does not count for comp!

Spoiler

102x

102 with mixed grip

this was so fun you guys. i'd love to get in and do a real comp by the end of the year! thanks to everyone who helps put this together :D 

• Like 7

On 2/19/2017 at 7:40 PM, Kanaman said:

Well, the lifts are in and while they aren't spectacular I am happy with them.  Looking back over my training log it looks like I haven't really been lifting "heavy" in almost a year.  After dropping 20kg and having my lifts suffer as a result didn't help.  Also, my training has been all over the place.

That being said, in the past few months I have kept to 5/3/1 and gotten back on track.

The squats were 90/100/110.  The bar was nice and fast, I am particularly happy with this as I haven't put more than 100kg on my back in over a year.

The bench is my worst lift, I have long, skinny arm and thin wrists, so anything is an improvement 70x(no pause), 80 and then 90 were paused.

Finally the dead, it was what I expected it to be, 90/110/120, also haven't done anything near this weight in over a year.

Overall, not bad.  The next challenge however, I will do much much better. My strength is only getting better.

Just out of curiousity, does this challange count as a "virtual meet"?

Congrats!!! Not sure what you mean by that last bit?

2 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

102 would not come up double overhand. I was not happy. So I did it again with a mixed grip and got it, but does not count for comp!

this was so fun you guys. i'd love to get in and do a real comp by the end of the year! thanks to everyone who helps put this together :D 

YASSSSS

DOOOOO ITTTT!!!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

Nice work! Mixed grip does count, by the way. Straps don't count but mixed and hook grips are totally legal at competitions.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mgage said:

Nice work! Mixed grip does count, by the way. Straps don't count but mixed and hook grips are totally legal at competitions.

i knowwww i decided to try with DOH first which was pretty silly to do. so attempt 3 was me being stubborn and failing. it was a 20# jump from my all-time max so i was already scared of it and doubting myself. i should have done the mixed grip first, gotten the lift in for the comp, and THEN tried DOH for my own knowledge. alas, you live and learn, eh?

• Like 2

The "virtual meet" refers to the Warriors  quests, it says "compete in a Nerd Fitness virtual competition" I was just wondering if this qualified.  If not, no biggie.

I did the olympic lifting today, once again I went 9/9 but unlike Monday, I did get PR's today. On the split snatch I did 45/50/55(pr!) and the c&j was 55/60/70(pr!)

Next week I will go back to my regular lifting program and will be looking forward to the next competition!

• Like 4

This was the first thing i have ever done like this so I am fairly happy with the results. All numbers in pounds. (corrected on the spreadsheet)

Squat: 295/315/335 - 295 ties my PR but I was feeling really awesome when i started. 335 was a long slow grind but I got it up.

Bench: 235/245/265x - Right where I expected to be.

DL: 365/405x/405x - I got greedy on my second attempt. I should have been able to hit this but I probably should have saved it for my last lift.

All in all it was a good experience and I can't wait for the next one.

• Like 7

On 2/21/2017 at 7:59 AM, CourtnieMarie said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Yay! Great job!

Why are you not counting the mixed grip DL? Because it was a "fourth" attempt?

15 hours ago, Kanaman said:

The "virtual meet" refers to the Warriors  quests, it says "compete in a Nerd Fitness virtual competition" I was just wondering if this qualified.  If not, no biggie.

I did the olympic lifting today, once again I went 9/9 but unlike Monday, I did get PR's today. On the split snatch I did 45/50/55(pr!) and the c&j was 55/60/70(pr!)

Next week I will go back to my regular lifting program and will be looking forward to the next competition!

This is exactly what it's talking about :) You got it! Great job.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, spezzy said:

Yay! Great job!

Why are you not counting the mixed grip DL? Because it was a "fourth" attempt?

thank you! and yeah, fourth attempt done out of spite for my poor decision making skills.

Wow! So that was a super fun read...

Did a mock meet on Valentine's Day.

Skwaat: 355,380,400

Binch (TnG): 205,225,240

Didlift: 335,365,405

I never do heavy singles when we do these things, so great timing.

Dat squat doe...

• Like 7

Complete!! 

This was my first time ever competing and it was pretty cool :)

Couldn't get video due to a packed gym but I broke my squat and DL 1RMs so I am very happy.

Weight: 92.5

SQ

BP

DL

Total: 437.7 (965#)

Wilks: 275.66

(Will add to spreadsheet later)

• Like 10

I'm added to the spreadsheet.  You guys are a lot stronger than I am, but I guess that's what I get not focusing on lifting heavy and going out an running all the time.

My squat I'm actually disappointed in.  I have 180 in me, but I wasn't dropping below parallel.  I need to unch the weight up from 140 and get my form right.  I was fully expecting to attempt a 200# squat today.

• Like 5

On 2/21/2017 at 8:22 PM, Kanaman said:

What is a split snatch?

On 2/22/2017 at 2:05 PM, matty_mcfly said:

Wow! So that was a super fun read...

Did a mock meet on Valentine's Day.

Skwaat: 355,380,400

Binch (TnG): 205,225,240

Didlift: 335,365,405

I never do heavy singles when we do these things, so great timing.

Dat squat doe...

So proud of you for that skwaat!!! <3

15 hours ago, Volki said:

Complete!! 

This was my first time ever competing and it was pretty cool :)

Couldn't get video due to a packed gym but I broke my squat and DL 1RMs so I am very happy.

Weight: 92.5

SQ

BP

DL

Total: 437.7 (965#)

Wilks: 275.66

(Will add to spreadsheet later)

CRUSHED IT

• Like 2

So this is my first time ever "competing" in a strength sport and I'm really glad I did...

Weight: 261# / 118Kg

Squat:

Attempt #1: 385# / 174.63Kg

Attempt #2: 410# / 185.97Kg

Attempt #3: 425# / 192.78Kg(PR)

Bench:

Attempt #1: 335# / 151.95Kg

Attempt #2: 350# / 158.76Kg(ties PR)

Attempt #3: 355# / 161.03Kg X

Deadlift:

Attempt #1: 535# / 242.67Kg

Attempt #2: 565# / 256.28Kg X

Attempt #3: 565# / 256.28Kg (PR)

Summary:

Squat moved surprisingly good this morning. I've had issues with my right knee for a few years so I usually play it safe when I squat, but i honestly felt like I had a lot more in the tank beyond that final attempt. Bench was kinda meh and i honestly didn't expect to get anything above my current PR, which is exactly what happened. I was able to get a 15# PR on deadlift on my first attempt, however the second attempt was really sloppy causing me to miss. After evaluating that second rep i was able to key in on what i needed to adjust and the thirst attempt at the same weight went up with no problem. This was really fun and hopefully I'll be brave to enter a real lift PL competition in the near future.

I'll have videos on my IG page if anyone wants to check them out (except for the 2nd bench attempt, I forgot to press record but i have an older video of that same weight on the page too)

• Like 9

2 hours ago, newbreednerd said:

So this is my first time ever "competing" in a strength sport and I'm really glad I did...

Weight: 261# / 118Kg

Squat:

Attempt #1: 385# / 174.63Kg

Attempt #2: 410# / 185.97Kg

Attempt #3: 425# / 192.78Kg(PR)

Bench:

Attempt #1: 335# / 151.95Kg

Attempt #2: 350# / 158.76Kg(ties PR)

Attempt #3: 355# / 161.03Kg X

Deadlift:

Attempt #1: 535# / 242.67Kg

Attempt #2: 565# / 256.28Kg X

Attempt #3: 565# / 256.28Kg (PR)

Badass numbers! Good job!

• Like 2

Competition done and dusted! It was under British Powerlifting, so IPF rules were applied.

Squat: 145, 157.5, 165

Bench: 65, 67.5, 70

Deadlift: 155, 165, 170 (center reffing by Joy Nnamani!!)

Very pleased with this, especially squats.

• Like 4

Competition done and dusted! It was under British Powerlifting, so IPF rules were applied.

Squat: 145, 157.5, 165

Bench: 65, 67.5, 70

Deadlift: 155, 165, 170 (center reffing by Joy Nnamani!!)

Very pleased with this, especially squats.

Highest of fives!

I hadn't realised Joy had passed her Ref's exam. That's kinda cool. I saw she's gone up to the 57s for Euros.

On 2/21/2017 at 8:59 AM, CourtnieMarie said:

I'm looking at one in May in Connecticut, but it might be too soon... I'll keep an eye out and let you know if there's anything near your hood! I'd rather comp with nerds any day of the week than fly solo...

• Like 2

Highest of fives!

I hadn't realised Joy had passed her Ref's exam. That's kinda cool. I saw she's gone up to the 57s for Euros.

She competed as a 57 in Iceland recently, took the deadlift record I think.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk