[] forgets the title (a true story)

stepping_out

Over the last challenge, I've somewhat accidentally started decorating my batcave. Voila my new toys:

• Fitbit with heart rate thing-o
  • Fibit Aria
  • InstaPot

This round, I'm going to build the challenge around these. So here goes:

1) Get that heart pumping

I've signed up for the half marathon that goes past the house where I lived for 8 years. I've done it every year since it started (that's only 3 times, but still!), and I want to keep collecting the medals. This means I have to get back into shape. My goal isn't to run this, I may Nordic Walk it or maybe Jeff it (= run-walk, for the uninitiated). My resting heart rate is already quite low, according to the fitbit, but I want to see how this affects things over the medium term.

Goal: Go for two 30min walks during the first two weeks of the challenge, and add a longer outing during the last two. (This is to work around my next powerlifting competition, I don't want to start running before that's done.)

2) Get those feet thumping

I got the Aria so I don't have to mess about entering my weight manually into Fitbit and my spreadsheet each morning. I don't want to go back to obsessing about this, so the plan is to have the scale do this automatically and then copy a week's worth of measurements when I check in with the nutritionist.

Goal: Step onto the scale every morning (unless I'm travelling), and don't look at it except on check-in day.

3) Stop that mouth a-mumping

Okay, so maybe I looked at a website for hip hoppy rhymes and this was the closest to making sense. ANYWHO! Now that I've got the InstaPot, I'm out of excuses for not batch cooking, or even cooking, really. I'm enjoying looking up recipes, but ultimately I want to understand the basic principles of it so I can adapt recipes myself. My first try was tonight's green curry risotto with chicken breast. I looked at a few different recipes for risotto and chicken breast, and tried to figure out how to make that work. It's simple enough and everything was cooked, but let's just say this particular fusion was more of a con-fusion.

Goal: Use the InstaPot at least twice a week. One of those should be a new recipe.

There's the regular stuff as well, train, keep up with the food tracking etc., but I don't feel like setting goals for those because they're pretty habitual right now. Comp is on the 25th, much excitement.

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, evabo said:

Yes deffo. I bought a selection of different meats, now in my freezer, to try over the next few weeks. Because, meat! I think brisket will be first next Tuesday, nom nom nom nom nom.

We got a huge hunk of shin of beef at Tebay on the way home so that's going in at some point. Can't decide whether to do it whole or turn it into stew.

Quick recap of zero week!

1) Heart pumping: Did lots of walking but it was incidental rather than a planned training session. I'm going to let myself get away with it because it was zero week, but will make time for a deliberate walk today.

2) Feet thumping: Done, although maybe I did peak and the Aria has my weight a lot higher than my previous scale. It's fine, but it messes up my data. Ah well.

3) Mouth mumping: Various InstaPot dishes were cooked! I was visiting with family and talked my aunt into getting one herself (not that she needed much convincing, the gadget love runs in my family!). We made: more lentil soup (hers was better than mine, must steal!), 1-pot pasta dish (which I messed up because I underestimated the amount of liquid required to get the pot to pressure, but it was still mega delicious). When I got back home, I made: Chicken breasts from frozen in 20 minutes, so exciting!!! I used a piece of Maggi flavour paper (not what it's called, it's basically a bit of parchment with spices), so just wrapped that around the chicken, into the pot with a little water and more spices, and off it went. Quite good for chicken breasts ;-). Last night, I made beef short ribs braised in cola, rather delicious and went down well with the OH. Also made roast potatoes in the pot and really think I may need another one just to speed things up.

Quite happy with this overall. Training is going okay as well, we're going up to 100% this week on squat and bench - squat PB already in the bag, will see about bench on Saturday, and then basically rest (with openers next Tuesday).

• Like 2

The instapot sounds like it has been successful! The thought of cooking dinner in 20 minutes is sounding really appealing to me. 

Maybe the beauty of the new scale is you can more forward with your weights from here and have that sort of fresh start feeling since you won't be able to compare to before (accurately anyway)? I kind of feel that way because I'm trying out a new weight app and it can't depress me with my old weights. 

• Like 1

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I kind of feel that way because I'm trying out a new weight app and it can't depress me with my old weights. 

My weight doesn't depress me, I'm cool with my body at the moment :-) I was more interested in the impact of various different levels of calories and macro combinations, plus water fluctuations related to hormones, training and such (although I can still track those over time).

• Like 1

Quick update:

1) Heart pumping: Have not done any deliberate walking, but my bike is out of commission so I've been walking to and from the station etc., which adds up to wayyyyy more walking than I'd like.

2) Feet thumping: Having a difficult time not checking the numbers, but I don't think I'm obsessing over it. In part because I think my scale may have arrived broken (Sort of a crunching noise in the glass when I step on it? Not sure it's normal, investigating with FitBit.), so the weird movements don't bother me. It does seem to be all over the place. Scales seem like a reasonably simple technology, I'm not sure why it seems so difficult to get an accurate one. There also seems to be no way of calibrating this one at home, which is a bummer given the price. Another thing I'm investigating.

3) Stop mumping: I'm really enjoying the insta pot. Getting my timing for eggs down. Rib of beef was a real winner here. Brisket was a bit dry, need to work on that. Can find and post the recipes I used if there is interest, although I usually don't have all the ingredients and don't enjoy weighing ingredients, so tend to "innovate" a bit. I'm sure the actual recipes are better!

Did openers today, squat was a breeze which is nice, but after a really really (I mean, REALLY) excellent session last week, my bench seems to have gone on holiday. Nothing I can do about it now, will spend the rest of the week mobilising and eating carbs and hope for the best. If I'm lucky, it'll be back to being excellent on Saturday. Not complaining really, it is what it is, but I wish it weren't so variable. After the comp, we're going to do more "stuff" to fix my squat (falling forward when the weight is heavy), not sure exactly what but apparently something! I am liking the fact that I have my two next comps (All England, British) lined up, and they're spaced out nicely so there's time to make some progress.

• Like 3

Right, comp is done. This is how it went:

Squat 145, 157.5, 165

Bench 65, 67.5, 70

Deadlift 155, 165, 170

My coach suggested going straight to 160 on squat and straight to 170 on deadlift (2nd attempts), but I wasn't confident enough to do that on squat, and then for deadlifts I was fixated on a 400kg total so went with 165. In retrospect I should have opened higher on squats and not wasted energy on 157, because that really wasn't high enough to get me the total I wanted anyway. Ahhhh well. Pleased I got those squats in. Next comp is at the end of May so there is some time to get work done. I definitely feel like my squats are improving, I still tend to fall forward a bit when it gets heavy, but this time I wasn't anywhere near decapitating myself!! Progress. We're going to work on that, apparently. Bench felt better too, the pauses etc. felt pretty epic, but then I guess they always do. Initially I thought I got away with something in the deadlift, didn't feel entirely locked out, but looking at the video it seems fine.

Taking one day off from training this week and will use that extra time to get started on my walking / running schedule. The weather has been nice (ish - it's still England, so...) and I'm keen to get outside and catch some rays.

Food: It's been eaten :chuncky:  Didn't want to track yesterday and I was at the gym all day today handling the scoresheet, then went out afterwards both days and just enjoyed some nice food. Instapot still getting a lot of use, made some leg of lamb (it was too big so had to inexpertly remove some of the bones - quite the massacre!) that went down really well with my better half, while I still enjoy making whole chickens.

• Like 3
20 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

How has it been going post-comp? 

Hey, thanks for reminding me that I'm supposed to be doing a challenge :glee:

Kind of fell into a hole after the competition, but in a good way. Skipped two training sessions but then went for a 5k walk on the Saturday, followed by training (paused squats and safety bar squats, because our coach told us to "play" and that sounded like fun at the time). I hadn't been as sore in a good long while!

We asked our coach to give us a programme, he said to just keep things ticking over for a few weeks and I get that, but I don't know how to do it! After the last competition, I felt like we fell off a cliff because we were so motivated but didn't know what to do. The "good" news is that he's given in (or is just getting back at us, either way!!!) and wrote a little programme that's basically volume with a side of volume, followed by some volume. As in, 5 sets of 7 for EVERYTHING :frog:. Ahhhhh! But at least I know what I'm supposed to do.

Walking: Haven't done my mid-week sessions formally, but according to my fitbit I'm walking loads so I'm okay with that. Did 5k last week, aiming for about 5 miles this weekend. If I'm going to Nordic walk the half, I'm going to have to figure out how to get a little faster, because there is a cut-off time...

Foods: Using the InstaPot quite regularly! Have made beef rib again, it's sooooo delicious! And cooks in about 30 mins, I'm in love. Still haven't figured out how to make pasta dishes work, I can't get the liquids right. I mean, it all tastes great, but I'd like to be able to control it more. One big success was this: Cooked the beef rib, saved the juices. Cooked chicken breast in the juices, THEN the pasta which absorbs all the tasty. Nomnomnomnomnom!!!

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, evabo said:

We asked our coach to give us a programme, he said to just keep things ticking over for a few weeks and I get that, but I don't know how to do it! After the last competition, I felt like we fell off a cliff because we were so motivated but didn't know what to do. The "good" news is that he's given in (or is just getting back at us, either way!!!) and wrote a little programme that's basically volume with a side of volume, followed by some volume. As in, 5 sets of 7 for EVERYTHING :frog:. Ahhhhh! But at least I know what I'm supposed to do.

Yay for getting a new programme for cardio lifting! :D 

5 minutes ago, evabo said:

Cooked the beef rib, saved the juices. Cooked chicken breast in the juices, THEN the pasta which absorbs all the tasty. Nomnomnomnomnom!!!

wile_radotant_sticker_carre-r7f84e7fddae

• Like 2

Level "I have no clue" Warrior

Current challenge

Battle log

2 hours ago, evabo said:

Kind of fell into a hole after the competition, but in a good way. Skipped two training sessions but then went for a 5k walk on the Saturday, followed by training (paused squats and safety bar squats, because our coach told us to "play" and that sounded like fun at the time). I hadn't been as sore in a good long while!

I just experienced paused squats for the first time last Saturday, and PHEW that is some tough shit. It feels like cardio and then results in DOMS. 

5 sets of 7 is too much! LOL I'm sure it's not actually that bad, but what I do know is when I see sets of 2 or 3 I get reeeeeaaalll excited. ;) 

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }