• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

navis

Navis: Building Blocks

Continuing in the same line as last month.  Keep doing what I’m doing, only better.

1. Still curling.  A lot of accessories and volume again this cycle.  Following my trainer's instructions isn't an issue, however I did too good a job not adding anything to my program last month -- warm ups, cool downs, cardio and abz pretty much flew out the window!  So this challenge I'm going to focus on incorporating these back and be smart about them.

• I bought “Becoming a Supple Leopard”, my two-part goal is to 1) read it 2) use it to form warm up/cool down routines specific to what I'm doing each day and including mobility work.  Must be done EVERY session (so x4/week)
  • Cardio/abz: alternate, either conditioning or core work after each workout (so x2/week each).  Not looking for results, just habit-building.

2. Still cutting. This went very well last challenge, so don't actually have anything to add.  I will post here if/when I allow myself to go off plan but I'm not going to feel guilty about it!  For the sake of making it a challenge, I'll put a limit on "cheats" of once a week.  This is regardless of how much of a cheat and includes alcohol.

3. Still adulting.  Keeping a list here last challenge helped me mentally.  I often put things off because I have a hard time just getting the damn thing done, but crossing them off sometimes makes me feel better than actually doing them.  So I will use this thread to keep track of whatever pops up on my to-do list (which I will add later).

Thanks for reading -- please have this picture of a platypus.

50450cb975744c207ea31ba2613cb453010d3dc536d6321f0e4543bf203d4d8a.jpg

• Like 7

22 hours ago, RedStone said:

Hey girl, heeeey

v36ti8P.gif

Hey errrr I... I'm not sure how to interpret this...

20 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

those damn accessories :topsy_turvy:

Yes, but that pump afterwards! :love-struck:

It's a snow day in New York!  Somehow we had 55 degrees yesterday, and today there's a snow storm.  I thought I was going to be stuck at the gym because it's so blinding.  Going to work from home today (it's like real work, only in my PJs).

I had a short session today and set my alarm 15mins earlier than usual, so no excuse not to spend time on warm up and cool down.

This was my program:

Capture.PNG.4d6d7177a08fa4d440e71034efc8e204.PNG

I stole most of today's warm up from megsquats since it fit was I was doing, though I omitted a few things.  I am neither physically nor psychologically ready for reverse warrior at 6am.  Added 5x10 leg raises afterwards and some yoga-type stretching (fairly similar to the warm up, actually).

As for the workout itself, I've done low bar maybe a handful of times, and not since October.  It felt much better than I remembered.  Full disclosure: I may have spent about an hour last night watching Alan Thrall tutorials in preparation.

On leg press I did 5x300, 8x270 and 15x200 (+ weight of the machine which is ~135lbs).  The first set stung!

Sumo still feeling good, can't wait to go heavier -- here's my second set:

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

I'm cutting, too.  (Last three weeks, anyway.) 

Do you have a goal for cut completion?

I don't have a weight goal -- it just needs to be over 138 since I'm signed up for a meet in the 158 class in April.  Should be fine though, I'm currently 149.

I would like to get to ~20% bf (I'm around 22-23% right now according to calipers).

Once I'm done with this cut I'm thinking maintenance in the weeks leading to the meet (pig out on meet weekend, obvs), and then either cut or mass depending on how lean I get.

How long have you been cutting?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, navis said:

How long have you been cutting?

I cut for 16 weeks this summer, then found maintenance for a while, and am cutting again beginning Week 2 of this challenge for 8 weeks.  Then sticking to maintenance for 8 weeks and then cutting for another 8.  Then...well...we'll have to see.  /shrugs 

11 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

Are you making the move to sumo too? I'm hoping to do so but a fair way to go for me! 

My trainer wanted me to try and I've been loving it.  I still enjoy conventional, but sumo feels more natural and easier to set up (despite everything I've read!).  It looks like it may be the better stance for me, but I'm still doing both at the moment.

Why a fair way to go?

4 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

I cut for 16 weeks this summer, then found maintenance for a while, and am cutting again beginning Week 2 of this challenge for 8 weeks.  Then sticking to maintenance for 8 weeks and then cutting for another 8.  Then...well...we'll have to see.  /shrugs 

So... forever :wacko:

Just now, navis said:

My trainer wanted me to try and I've been loving it.  I still enjoy conventional, but sumo feels more natural and easier to set up (despite everything I've read!).  It looks like it may be the better stance for me, but I'm still doing both at the moment.

Why a fair way to go?

My conventional is still a lot stronger but there's potential in my sumo. 

Have you got long femurs?

8 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

I know they're uneven! They're ~38cm (I'm 1.66m) -- can't tell if that's long or not :P 

3 minutes ago, navis said:

I know they're uneven! They're ~38cm (I'm 1.66m) -- can't tell if that's long or not :P 

It's more in comparison to the rest of you. 

And I'm the same height. :D Miss Marissa, Augusta Ada Byron and Spezzy are about the same too, IIRC. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

And I'm the same height. :D Miss Marissa, Augusta Ada Byron and Spezzy are about the same too, IIRC. 

Yeah I'd say they're about average.  No one's ever called me out on my abnormally long or short femurs, so that's my benchmark.

Funny!  Women around me are either much shorter or tower over me.  I did note Miss Marissa and Spezzy were about the same size/shape as me, I've used them both as a reference for gym clothes/equipment size and style ^_^ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpecialSundae said:

My conventional is still a lot stronger but there's potential in my sumo. 

I finally have a coach (!) and totally have long femurs. He said we will explore sumo down the line. I am like you, where sumo seems a lot more difficult at the moment but with practice may be better for me. With conventional my knees end up pretty far forward of the bar because of my femurs. 

1 minute ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

How does one measure the length of a bone that is under their skin?

Knee joint to hip joint -- though obviously it's more of an estimate.

1 minute ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Also, I'd been doing both sumo and conventional. I find sumo setup more awkward!

Haha everyone says the same!  I always faff around setting up for conventional, I'm much quicker on sumo.  Me logic :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, navis said:

Knee joint to hip joint -- though obviously it's more of an estimate.

Things I didn't expect I'd ever do at 22:55 at night (or ever) before joining NF: Trying to measure my femurs...

• Like 4

4 hours ago, navis said:

I don't have a weight goal -- it just needs to be over 138 since I'm signed up for a meet in the 158 class in April.  Should be fine though, I'm currently 149.

I would like to get to ~20% bf (I'm around 22-23% right now according to calipers).

Once I'm done with this cut I'm thinking maintenance in the weeks leading to the meet (pig out on meet weekend, obvs), and then either cut or mass depending on how lean I get.

I was going to make a comment on how similar we are in size/shape

and then this.

4 hours ago, SpecialSundae said:

YEPPP

Let's hit page two in zero week this time ;)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Let's hit page two in zero week this time ;)

That's really the entire goal of this challenge ;)

9 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

It would be really interesting to do a limb length proportion comparison for all of us 165/166cm female lifters. See if the theoretical lift advantages play true.

Happy to lend my thread for this analysis -- send over the data!