• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

navis

Navis: Building Blocks

Today's session was upper body fluff.  Didn't really know how to warm up for it, so I did some vinyasas, shoulder, wrist and hip rotations and light lat pulldowns.

Followed the session with 5x250m on the rowing machine with 60 sec rest in between, increasing the resistance each time.  I enjoyed it and it was challenging enough so I'm going to keep that as my 2x conditioning for now, with the goal of lowering my average time (this morning's was 1:06).

Capture.PNG.02753d353fdc96e31c04bfd84ced487d.PNG

Pretty easy overall -- did 5x35 2x8x30 and 2x15x25 on DB bench/rows.  I finally figured out I was setting up with the dumbbells too low (vertically) and too high up compared to my body (they were just over my shoulders), which is why I often failed with 35s.  Now that I know to fix that, maybe I'll try 40s next time!

3x8x80 on cable row, I know I'll feel that tomorrow...  (only did them once before so still getting 'new exercise DOMS')

Curls and skullcrushers/close-grip press were too light...  I didn't want to increase the weight and not complete the reps, but in retrospect I should have moved up to at least 30.

Live and learn :) 

• Like 3

WEEK 1 / DAY 1

Training: Today was a rest day, but I've made progress on Supple Leopard and figured out my mobility routines for Monday and Tuesday.  I'm missing some props so may need to order some if my gym doesn't have anything I can use.

Cutting: Had two G&Ts on Thursday night and had an entire chocolate bar for dinner last nigh BECAUSE I'M AN ADULT.  Counting only the G&Ts as a "cheat" because the chocolate fit my macros :) Down 0.66lbs from last week which technically means I should stay in my current phase (since I lost over 0.5lbs), however I weighed in at exactly the same for 10 days -- Cut 2, here I come!

Adulting: Put together my to-do list, which I will likely keep adding to.  Done everything in the "every day" section today, except for Duolinguo which I'm doing right after I post this.

Do every day

• Wash pan for breakfast
  • Defrost dinner
  • Wash containers from the day
  • Do Duolinguo German lesson
  • Do Duolinguo Spanish lesson
  • Read (either Supple Leopard or fiction)

Do by end of challenge

• Pick up clothes
  • Find a home for all the crap on the counter / stools
  • Figure out HSA / insurance
  • Return Amazon order
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Duolingo... right... that's one part of my challenge that I keep forgetting...

Get back on it!! I only added it back because you reminded me to :D

4 hours ago, Blocky said:

Me too...

What language(s)?

• Like 1

So today's workout kinda sucked ass.  It wasn't terrible, just confronted me yet again to the fact that my bench is just NOT moving.

Mobility I had four exercises from Supple Leopard to do which were focused on pressing movements, since today was bench day.

It was chaos at my gym, the lowest KB I could find was still too heavy and the foam rollers were nowhere to be seen.  I still did all four movements, which all felt awkward and unproductive.  I had the instructions with me, but may need to re-read them at home.  Oh, and rolling a barbell on your shoulders? NOT. NICE.

Workout

Capture.PNG.c9370704a08af85b6ef1cef462742bed.PNG

Hit 2x85, 6x75 and 12x65.  That's a 6RM and 12RM PR which is great, but I'm a little stuck on the disappointment from failing my 3rd rep @85.  I have no issue with volume, but as soon as I get close to my max I'm stuck on singles or doubles, and my max itself hasn't budged since Nov.  I've also failed to hit that number since.

I texted my trainer, I think it may be time to reassess our approach to building my bench.  I'm also wondering if I've been training close enough to my max.  I feel I've been doing both heavy and volume on squats and deadlifts, but always volume on bench.

Cable rows I hit all the max reps prescribed, and DB bench / rows I used 25s.

Conditioning Rowing 5x250m at avg. 1:05 (~0.11% progress ; totally counts)

All in all it was ok.  I think my disappointment stems mostly from me being excited about challenging my previous 2RM, which moved so smoothly back in Oct.

Ah well.

200.gif#73

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, navis said:

So today's workout kinda sucked ass.  It wasn't terrible, just confronted me yet again to the fact that my bench is just NOT moving.

Hit 2x85, 6x75 and 12x65.  That's a 6RM and 12RM PR which is great, but I'm a little stuck on the disappointment from failing my 3rd rep @85.  I have no issue with volume, but as soon as I get close to my max I'm stuck on singles or doubles, and my max itself hasn't budged since Nov.  I've also failed to hit that number since.

I texted my trainer, I think it may be time to reassess our approach to building my bench.  I'm also wondering if I've been training close enough to my max.  I feel I've been doing both heavy and volume on squats and deadlifts, but always volume on bench.

Girl you are preaching to the choir. I feel its just. so. damn. hard. to make progress on bench!

On 2/10/2017 at 1:34 PM, navis said:

Followed the session with 5x250m on the rowing machine with 60 sec rest in between, increasing the resistance each time.  I enjoyed it and it was challenging enough so I'm going to keep that as my 2x conditioning for now, with the goal of lowering my average time (this morning's was 1:06).

I should try this!!!! I think that would be good timing for me. I found tabatas were too short before I had to rest, but 500m was too long.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, navis said:

Anecdotally (from the internetz), bench seems to respond better to volume than the other lifts and also to a higher frequency. Personally, it doesn't seem to matter how much volume I do, my bench doesn't go anywhere either.

5 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Girl you are preaching to the choir. I feel its just. so. damn. hard. to make progress on bench!

Right?? I think my LP lasted about a month :D

5 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

I should try this!!!! I think that would be good timing for me. I found tabatas were too short before I had to rest, but 500m was too long.

It's a fun drill!  Let me know how it goes.

2 minutes ago, Blocky said:

Anecdotally (from the internetz), bench seems to respond better to volume than the other lifts and also to a higher frequency. Personally, it doesn't seem to matter how much volume I do, my bench doesn't go anywhere either.

I've heard/read that before, and I do bench 2-3x a week.  However I'm usually under 70% even when doing sets of 5s, which is why I'm wondering if I've "detrained my max" in some way.  I don't know programming well enough though, and I'm sure my trainer has his reasons.  We'll see what the says!

It sounds like your percentages could be a bit higher. Generally to preserve/build strength, you need to be around 80%. 70% is more of a higher rep hypertrophy thing.

• Like 1

WEEK 1 / DAY 2

Training: check on all fronts (update above)

Spoke to my trainer who confirmed weights will go up.  I'm also going to start filming my work sets again so he can give me feedback on form.

Cutting: no cheat, weighed in at 149.6lbs this morning (+0.46 WoW)

Adulting

Do every day: check on everything but reading, which I will do before bed

• Do dishes (specifically pan for breakfast the next morning)
  • Defrost dinner

Do by end of challenge: no progress

• Pick up clothes
  • Return Amazon order

• Like 3

WEEK 1 / DAY 3

Training

Mobility: Done.  I had a couple of exercises specifically for squats and focusing on hams and glutes as today’s training was low bar squats and sumo dls.  Still felt awkward, but definitely productive.  All my sticky points seem to be on my left side!  Also added in some hip rotations, third-world squats and hip circle squats/lunges/side steps.

Workout: Much better than yesterday’s!  Hit 8 reps on my sumo AMRAP.  Added 255 to the leg press – I started wearing my hip circle on these, it seems to help with the knee pain I’ve been experiencing since adding them to my program.  My glutes are on fire the next day!

Capture.PNG.21364ce347b9c423bea627e93c00a3a9.PNG

Abz: 3x12 Russian twists holding a 20lbs medicine ball.  Not sure I’m engaging my core properly on these, may switch to something else.  DOMS (or lack of) will soon tell. 

Cutting

Rolling average: 149.6 (+0.46lbs WoW)

Still no cheat, despite everyone in my office seemingly either returning from vacation with some exotic treat or receiving a monster birthday cake.  I had the chai tea from India and skipped on the chocolate cheesecake.  Life is tough, but chai is delicious.

Adulting

Do every day: Check!

• Do dishes (especially pan for breakfast the next morning)
  • Defrost dinner

Do by end of challenge: Why do on week 1 what you can do on week 4? I did pick up Atticus (my newly repaired laptop) from the shop today, so there's that.

• Pick up clothes
  • Return Amazon order

Additional notes

1. I somehow found myself stuck with only vanilla whey and casein for the last month or so.  I finally ordered new flavors.  Life is exciting again.
  2. My calendar knows I'm single and is rather patronizing about it.

20170214_203443.jpg.73282f667a5ab2f2489a03020bcb719c.jpg

(Read: "Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all")

• Like 4

14 hours ago, navis said:

Abz: 3x12 Russian twists holding a 20lbs medicine ball.  Not sure I’m engaging my core properly on these, may switch to something else.  DOMS (or lack of) will soon tell. 

DOMS say "meh".  I have some but not in my obliques, so guess I'm doing these wrong.

Officially opening the floor to suggestions: do you have any preferred/effective exercises I could swap these out for?

16 hours ago, navis said:

Capture.PNG.21364ce347b9c423bea627e93c00a3a9.PNG

Not sure why or how I typed 2 sets -- it was 1xAMRAP

1 hour ago, miss_marissa said:

Nice job on the AMRAP deadlifts!!!

I recommend to Do your damn abs

Thanks!

I've seen that post, but every time I consider doing it I get overwhelmed by the length. I need to suck it up, read the whole thing and put it into a table. Tables are how I understand things.