• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

navis

Navis: Building Blocks

WEEK 1 / DAY 4

Training

Rest day done well.

Anecdote: I only use an alarm clock on days that I train (because 5.30am). When the alarm didn't ring this morning, my brain assumed today was Saturday. Then I remembered. Then I was sad.

Cutting 

Rolling average: 149.27 lbs (+0.13 WoW, -2.42 total)

NTR

Adulting

Do every day Done

• Do dishes (especially pan for breakfast the next morning)
  • Defrost next day dinner
  • Do Duolinguo German lesson
  • Do Duolinguo Spanish lesson
  • Read (either Supple Leopard or fiction)
  • Put away clothes worn on the day

Do by end of challenge No progress

• Pick up clothes
  • Find a home for all the crap on the counter / stools
  • Figure out HSA / insurance
  • Return Amazon order
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, navis said:

Anecdote: I only use an alarm clock on days that I train (because 5.30am). When the alarm didn't ring this morning, my brain assumed today was Saturday. Then I remembered. Then I was sad.

Something like that happened to me the other day. I do put an alarm on all weekdays. When it started to ring on Monday it took me a while to realise what happened. I opened my eyes briefly, saw the sun coming in and thought "looks like I nice day, it's good that I can sleep in". Then I actually realised that it was the alarm's sound that woke me up. 

• Like 1

I love your daily goal of putting away the clothes you have worn that day. I have a bad habit of letting 2-4 days pile up before I get disgusted with myself and put them away. I do always hang up my work clothes, but whatever I put on after that ends up in heap when I go to bed. 

Returning an amazon order? That is some real serious adulting. I don't think I've ever tried that. Mainly I just try to never order anything I think I'll have to return. :lol:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I love your daily goal of putting away the clothes you have worn that day. I have a bad habit of letting 2-4 days pile up before I get disgusted with myself and put them away. I do always hang up my work clothes, but whatever I put on after that ends up in heap when I go to bed. 

I change into my PJs as soon as I get home from work (unless I'm going out later -- which I rarely do, because I am a hermit) and put my clothes on my gym bag. In the morning, I need my gym bag so I put the clothes on the couch.  In the evening, I want to sit so I move them to the floor.  Then I clean and they go on the bed... You see the cycle I'm in!

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Returning an amazon order? That is some real serious adulting. I don't think I've ever tried that. Mainly I just try to never order anything I think I'll have to return. :lol:

It is!  I tend to not bother returning items, especially clothes, thinking I'll find a use for them some day or can adjust them to my size... but then I never do.  I have a couple of pricey items in my closet with the tags still on!

This time, I ordered a crop top for my meet after hearing female lifters say crops were more comfortable because they don't bunch.  However the one I got does bunch under my singlet, the shoulders don't fit at all, and the color is bleh.

Sequels to this challenge will likely involve donating/selling what I don't wear and mending what I really want to keep :D 

• Like 1

WEEK 1 / DAY 5

Training

Mobility: Tried an alternative press archetype routine, still not working for me.  Either I’m doing the exercises wrong, or my upper body mobility is stellar.  I received the resistance band I ordered from Amazon today, so at least there are now a bunch of other movements I can try!

Workout: Monday and Tuesday were fairly hard, so the next couple of sessions are easier.  Yay balance!

Today was volume bench focusing on speed on the way up.  I filmed two out of three sets from different angles and sent the videos to my trainer for feedback, we’ll see what he says.

May as well post one here for additional feedback.  What I can say is:

• I totally forgot to breathe in between the first few reps :D
  • These felt a lot faster than they look. I can only imagine how slow they are when I'm not trying to be fast...
  • I seem to flatten out throughout the set: what little arch I have when I start goes bye-bye.  Never noticed that before!

Conditioning: Rowing 5x250m, avg time 1:06 – damn aren’t I consistent!

Cutting

Rolling average: 148.90 lbs (-0.24 WoW, -2.79 total)
This has to be the slowest cut ever.  I'm not even cheating!

Adulting

Do every day yes

• Put clothes worn on the day away

Do every week video sent

• Send bench form check video to my trainer
  • Clean one part of the apartment

Do by end of challenge update on HSA / insurance

• Pick up clothes
    • HSA transfer pending, so I need to avoid getting sick or injured for the next 4-6 weeks
    • Once my HSA is operational, I'll need to get the stuff I paid out of pocket during the transfer reimbursed
  • Return Amazon order
  • Like 4

WEEK 1 / DAY 6

Training

Mobility: Yet another routine, this one focusing on quad dominant squats (perfect for high bar squats and conventional deadlifts).  I’m loving anything that has me roll a lacross ball on my glutes / hips.  Hurts like hell on my left side, but I can only assume it’s because I desperately need it.

Workout: Bench and deadlifts were easy peasy. 10x135s on squats were killer. 15x110 felt like life in comparison.  New 10RM, yippee.

Abs: Kicked off Do Your Damn Abs per @miss_marissa's recommendation.
Fairly easy all around, as in it was work but I could do the reps/time (THANK YOU YOGA).  The hardest part was actually keeping my arms extended during hollow body / arch hold.  I'm going to move on to the next level on Monday.

Cutting

Rolling average: 148.76 lbs (-0.38 WoW, -2.93 total)

Pizza at the office just when I've been craving pizza for days.  I had none.  I may figure out a way to make pizza fit my cut over the weekend though.

Adulting

Do every day yep

Do every week nothing since yesterday

Do by end of challenge pacing myself here

• Pick up clothes
  • Figure out HSA / insurance -- "progress"
    • HSA transfer pending, so I need to avoid getting sick or injured for the next 4-6 weeks
    • Once my HSA is operational, I'll need to get the stuff I paid out of pocket during the transfer reimbursed
  • Return Amazon order -- I printed the return label and put the shirt in an envelope, so there's that

#FlashbackFriday

For some reason adding images hasn't been working since yesterday so I can't post the screenshot.

Facebook reminded me of my status update on this day 7 years ago: "you know you're a geeky hermit when you find out the Olympic Games have started because the opening ceremony is available on BTJunkie"

How things have changed! I stream now.

• Like 3

WEEK 1 / DAY 7

Training

Rest day.  The DOMS are real. My abs and ribs are sore, which was to be expected, however I have no clue why my calves are as well... And then my right traps have been painful since I woke up.  I must have slept in some weird position.

Bottom line, today was mostly spent watching Netflix while alternating holding heat and cold sources against various parts of my body.

Cutting 

Rolling average: 148.63 lbs (-0.51 WoW, -3.06 total)

I cashed in this week’s cheat by indulging in an entire pint of chocolate sorbet (which was also used as an ice pack to soothe the aforementioned trap pain).  It was glorious, and not that big of a cheat macro-wise.

Adulting

Do every day yep

Do every week yep

• Send bench form check video to my trainer – sent on Thurs
  • Clean one part of the apartment – swept the floor and cleaned the rug (which was much needed!)

Do by end of challenge progress!

• Pick up clothes
  • Return Amazon order

Random thought of the day

ON cookies and cream casein pudding would taste even better on top of rum-soaked biscuits.

• Like 1

Traps still f*cked, no idea what I did.  Got up at 3.30am and put ice on it which seemed to help.  Iced it again this morning, gained some ROM back.

I finally have sumo deadlifts over 80% tomorrow and I'm really hoping it's better by then :(

WEEK 2 / DAY 1

Training

Rest day.  Traps still painful, hopefully tomorrow morning will be ok…

Cutting

This week’s average: 148.51 lbs (-0.63 WoW, -3.18 total)

Lost over half a pound WoW so I can stay on my current phase of the program.

Adulting

Do every day yep

Do every week nope

Do by end of challenge NTR

• Pick up clothes
  • Return Amazon order

Oh, and apparently I've decided to stay in the US another year.  I was telling my parents I was thinking of moving once my lease is up, conversation went like this: "where would you go?" "same area" "oh so you are staying in the US?" "eh, I guess so!"

That's one big life decision out of the way. Phew!

5ee6f2624302743c80248bcb03995830.jpg

• Like 3

WEEK 2 / DAY 2

Training

Mobility: Done -- warm up routine for squats and deadlifts is shaping up nicely.

Training: Still can't upload pictures, weirdly. 

Bench 1x80 8x3x70

Sumo deadlifts 2x2x195 3x5x155

Squats 5x5x145 3x10x115

My legs are DEAD.

Cardio: It's been so beautiful outside and I haven't taken advantage of it much because a- hermit b- stuff to do indoors, so I swapped out my conditioning for a run along the East river B) (did not help the dead legs thing...)

Cutting

Weighed in at 148.6 lbs, no cheat.

Adulting

Do every day yep

Do every week nope

• Pick up clothes
  • Return Amazon order

Anecdote of the day

According to the man who was observing me strip the bar after deadlifts, I handle 45s as if they were frisbees.

54641563.jpg

• Like 4

WEEK 2 / DAY 3

Training

Mobility: Redid one of the press archetype routines from last week, this time with the appropriate equipment (no 10kg dumbbell or squished foam roller).  It was MUCH better.  I didn't find any sticky points or imbalances as I did with hips/glutes, but it got me nice and warmed up for bench. *happy*

Training: It was long!  Couldn't ever seem to get the cable row, every time I was done with something it was taken, and as soon as I started another exercise it was free again... I ended up growing a pair and asking a guy if I could work in with him.

Bench 1x80 3x10x65 (10RM PR!)

Superset DB bench press / single arm row 3x8x30

Cable row 3x8x90

EZ curl 3x10x30

Skullcrushers 3x10x30

Superset tricep pushdowns / rope curls 3x10x50/45

Trainer says my bench lacks tightness and leg drive, which affects my speed and strength.  Thinking about it I did realize I don't squeeze my butt when I bench, just push with my heels, so I'm going to pay more attention to that.

Abs: Doing my damn abs.  I lose all tightness when I stretch my arms out on the hollow body/arch holds, so for now I'm keeping them extended inwards. Other movements can graduate.

Cutting No cheat.  Got my period today so I'm ignoring the weight.

Adulting

Do every day yep

Do every week nope

Do by end of challenge Amazon order returned!

• Pick up clothes
  • Return Amazon order

Life stuff update

I was told last week I'd be pulled on a pitch one of our other offices is working on (funny enough, our London office where I previously worked). However I only found out today that this would entail traveling to either London or Seattle (our HQ and where a few other people are working on the project).  I could leave as soon as right now and don't know yet for how long (likely a week or two).

After a minor "freak out" (my training! my cut! all those tupperwares in my fridge!) I remembered that a/ this was an amazing opportunity, seeing as the global head of my department specifically requested me and the project is likely to have amazing visibility, b/ career > training and c/ I would be fine.  Mostly I just don't cope well when I've planned something and it's derailed, even if it is for something totally awesome.  My first reaction to "an expensed trip to work on a project that will help advance my career" sounded something like "but I had plans to get my teeth pulled out!"  I don't think I could have looked less enthusiastic when my boss told me!

Anyway, I expect the details (such as which continent) will be sorted tomorrow.  In the meantime I've drafted a plan to manage my training and food whilst traveling.  I am now weirdly excited about whey and casein in tiny ziploc bags.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, navis said:

After a minor "freak out" (my training! my cut! all those tupperwares in my fridge!) I remembered that a/ this was an amazing opportunity, seeing as the global head of my department specifically requested me and the project is likely to have amazing visibility, b/ career > training and c/ I would be fine.  Mostly I just don't cope well when I've planned something and it's derailed, even if it is for something totally awesome.  My first reaction to "an expensed trip to work on a project that will help advance my career" sounded something like "but I had plans to get my teeth pulled out!"  I don't think I could have looked less enthusiastic when my boss told me!

Hey yo, nice turn around on a perfectly reasonable knee jerk reaction :) And very true, life marches on and yes, you will be fine! Better than fine! 

26 minutes ago, navis said:

Anyway, I expect the details (such as which continent) will be sorted tomorrow.  In the meantime I've drafted a plan to manage my training and food whilst traveling.  I am now weirdly excited about whey and casein in tiny ziploc bags.

VERY EXCITING. All of it. good luck!!!

• Like 1

I react to things all the time in such a way as "but this affects my gains!" LOL, you are not the only one. I'm excited for you for this career opportunity! 

Also, I hate to tell you, but there are gyms all over the globe. ;) We have several warriors like @wildross, who travel regularly for work and train around the country. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RedStone said:

Hey yo, nice turn around on a perfectly reasonable knee jerk reaction :) And very true, life marches on and yes, you will be fine! Better than fine! 

VERY EXCITING. All of it. good luck!!!

Thanks!  Thinking about it now, my manager didn't exactly relay the information in the best way.  He just showed up at my desk and said (paraphrasing)  "They need you in Seattle for the rest of this week and next. Any reason you couldn't?" and pretty much just left that there.  I tried finding him to ask whether I should take my laptop home last night, wondering if I'd have to get on a flight today.  He then CC'd me into his reply to a thread with finance and operations saying he'd let me liaise with them on dates.  I read the entire thread, which is how I found out the location isn't even final yet.

9 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I react to things all the time in such a way as "but this affects my gains!" LOL, you are not the only one. I'm excited for you for this career opportunity! 

Also, I hate to tell you, but there are gyms all over the globe. ;) We have several warriors like @wildross, who travel regularly for work and train around the country. 

Haha yeah.  I already found a PL gym near our Seattle office, and I know London well enough that I'm comfortable moving around in search of a suitable gym.  Again, career > training but my main concern would be hours.  Pitches tend to be "all hands on deck", you can easily find yourself in the office from 6AM to 2AM, working weekends, etc.  It's short, but brutally intense.  I've been begging (in my own, "drop a hint every six months" sort of way) for the opportunity to work on one, so if training has to be reduced or skipped it will be.

6 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

BUT MY GAINSSS!!!!

Woo hoo! Congrats on the excellent opportunity!

Thanks! :)

32612008.jpg

• Like 3

WEEK 2 / DAY 4

Training Rest day, though DOMS say my muscles are actively building.

Cutting No cheat.  No weigh in.

Adulting

Do every day yep

Do every week nope

• Pick up clothes
  • Return Amazon order

No anecdote or quote or update of any sorts today, so here's a terribly low-quality video from one of my favorite games as a kid.  I started the nerdiness early.  Sound needed.

• Like 2

WEEK 2 / DAY 5

Training

Mobility: Yep -- I'll have to revisit these as some of the movements are recommended as a warm up, others as a cool down.  Right now I'm doing all warm up.  I may just do all the mobility tests in the book and write a routine based on my weaknesses.

Workout: Went well, hit a couple of rep PRs.  Was supposed to do leg presses after deadlifts, but menstrual cramps got real after the first set of pause squats so decided to do my main lifts and go home.

** Low Bar Squat **
- 155.0 lbs x 3 reps [PR]
- 155.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 155.0 lbs x 3 reps

** Pause Squat **
- 105.0 lbs x 5 reps [PR]
- 105.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 105.0 lbs x 5 reps

** Deadlift **
- 205.0 lbs x 3 reps [PR]
- 165.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 165.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 165.0 lbs x 5 reps

Conditioning: Skipped as well, may add it to tomorrow's session depending on how it goes (and how long it takes!)

Cutting No cheat.  No weigh in.  I did make a double chocolate chip cookie fit my plan.  Yay!

Adulting

Do every day yep

Do every week nope

• Pick up clothes
  • Return Amazon order
  • Request payment for freelance work

Life update

So the pitch is off -- or rather, it's still on but I'm not :(

It sounds like the different teams involved couldn't get their act together quickly enough, and due to the time crunch the project is now going in a different direction which no longer requires my skillset.  Bit disappointed, obviously.  The trip would have been fun but I was excited just to be involved.  I choose to take comfort in the fact that I was selected and trusted to be brought on, financial realities just got in the way of it happening.  Action is to be vocal with my manager and the rest of the department about wanting to be involved in similar opportunities should they arise.  At least I've got my gainz.

• Like 2

That's a bummer about not getting to do the pitch! But I agree, it still looks good for you that you were originally selected and I am sure opportunities will arise in the future. In the meantime, ride that gainz train!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Woo PRs! And around cramps! That's awesome! :D 

08704fbf9f1cebfe12a7168225d7959d_awesome

period-meme-jackhammer-650x433.jpg

11 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

That's a bummer about not getting to do the pitch! But I agree, it still looks good for you that you were originally selected and I am sure opportunities will arise in the future. In the meantime, ride that gainz train!

2 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

NICE PRS!!!!

Shame about the pitch, but at least you know they trust you for the opportunity.

Yep! I'm growing up so much this challenge :D 

WEEK 2 / DAY 6

Training

Mobility: Done.

Workout: TODAY WAS SO COOL! Bench 15-20 reps @90% in as many sets as needed.  No grinding or failing allowed.

** Flat Barbell Bench Press **
- 80.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 80.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 80.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 80.0 lbs x 4 reps [PR]
- 80.0 lbs x 4 reps
- 80.0 lbs x 3 reps

** Seated Cable Row **
- 100.0 lbs x 5 reps [PR]
- 90.0 lbs x 10 reps [PR]
- 90.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 90.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 90.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 90.0 lbs x 10 reps

** Lat Pulldown **
- 100.0 lbs x 5 reps [PR]
- 80.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 80.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 80.0 lbs x 10 reps

** EZ-Bar Skullcrusher **
- 35.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 35.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 35.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 35.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 35.0 lbs x 10 reps

** Rope Push Down **
- 50.0 lbs x 10 reps [PR]
- 50.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 50.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 50.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 50.0 lbs x 10 reps

** Rope Curl **
- 40.0 lbs x 10 reps [PR]
- 40.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 40.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 40.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 40.0 lbs x 10 reps

Abz: Finally figured out hollow body! I was smiling the entire time I was holding it... Expecting a world of pain tomorrow.

Didn't have time to do yesterday's conditioning, but that's ok.

Cutting Sprayed what was left of the cool whip (about half the can) straight into my mouth.  It was glorious. No weigh in.

Adulting

Do every day yep

Do every week filmed two sets from this morning and sent to my trainer

Do by end of challenge NTR

• Pick up clothes
  • Return Amazon order
  • Request payment for freelance work

What I did today: this meme (in reference to a running joke with a friend ; we now use baby elephants as units of weight lifted).  The only problem is it's a lie.  I always lift.

16806957_10155770053259692_4240336046660

• Like 1