• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Strawberry Squatcake

Strawberry Squatcake Tapers Up

Can you taper up? Like Pam with her cocaine habit? Tolerance! All I mean is I want to add back in some gains, but don't know if I'll do enough for real gains. So... Taper it is!

Goal 1: Meal planning, stay keto:

The biggest trick to eating well is meal planning, and making groceries a priority. Stay ahead of the curve. Keep the avocado bin stocked! I don't want to ever get away from keto because I haven't properly planned or shopped. This is especially important for snacks at work. 

Goal 2: Supplement magnesium with foods

I'm going to track magnesium in foods and try to hit the daily value as consistently as I can. I don't want to be stuck having to supplement, because I don't think supplementing is working. I felt like CRAP last time I supplemented. Tired for two days, breakout, stomach issues. And with keto, electrolytes can be an issue. I've been eating. 1/4 c pumpkin seeds. But hope to stretch no but more! 

As as a tiny tack on to this, keep up with other supplements, make sleep a priority. 

Goal 3: Workout on weekends, as energy keeps up

I'm tip going back into this one. This summer I tried keto + workout. Felt like crap. Sleep got screwed up. Tired all the time. Moody with cravings. GAINED weight, this time I said I wouldn't workout until I see if keto alone works. It does. Albeit slower than average, but a loss is a loss is a loss! So, I'm going to kind of tinker around this month to see what works. I have read some stuff on adrenal issues and working out. One suggests setting a workout time limit of 20 minutes. Going really hard (heavy weights, more reps, etc) until your muscles and breathing is taxed and you need to rest. At that point, rest until your heart rate comes back to resting. At first it will happen fairly quickly, but over intervals, you won't recover as fast. With adrenal issues, some can only do 1 interval. Last time I did this, I was able to do about four in twenty minutes. So I'd do four sets of squats or whatever. Anyway, did a practice run Saturday. Got six intervals in. Seven including the warmup, which didn't bring my heart rate WAY up, but it rested to bring it down. I don't know if this is THE answer, but I'll try it until I determine it doesn't work. For now, I'm committing to one workout on the weekend of a week that hasn't been fatigue-ridden. If that goes well, next month, I'll up to two days, etc. 

Goal 4: Nail it at work

I got a brand new title. Brand new to my work. I have a lot to prove, make work a priority. Get sleep. Be focused at work. Be productive. And shine! I wanted to make this a goal since it's really taking up some of my personal life, but right now it's worth it. However, I don't want it to take over. But it is important. It's my opportunity to make my name where I'm relatively obscure. Forgot to mention: big write up due end of Feb, presentation in March or April. So if those both happen, that's what I meant I wanted to nail! :) 

Thats it. That's everything. That's all of it! 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Strawberry Squatcake said:

Tired for two days, breakout, stomach issues

Which form of supplemental Mg were you using?  There are so many different ones, I tried a chelated Mg and Mg malate which were both fine for me.

Good luck with your challenge, keto-sister ;) !

edited: OOPS I just saw you said you already are trying pumpkin seeds. my bad. 

PEPITAS! 

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/3616?fgcd=&manu=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=50&offset=&sort=default&order=asc&qlookup=pepitas&ds=Standard+Reference&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing= 

@ArgSki77 and @Emerald_Dragonfly and I were actually just talking about these yesterday. When my magnesium gets low I start eating an ounce of pepitas (pumpkins seeds) per day. 

• Like 3

Nutrient database is your friend though, you can search by nutrient. And it's information that has been USDA tested. 

Here's the magnesium list: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/nutrients/report/nutrientsfrm?max=25&offset=0&totCount=0&nutrient1=304&nutrient2=&nutrient3=&subset=0&sort=c&measureby=m

Go here to pick any nutrient and search; https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/nutrients/index 

On 2/8/2017 at 6:56 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

PEPITAS! 

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/3616?fgcd=&manu=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=50&offset=&sort=default&order=asc&qlookup=pepitas&ds=Standard+Reference&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing= 

@ArgSki77 and @Emerald_Dragonfly and I were actually just talking about these yesterday. When my magnesium gets low I start eating an ounce of pepitas (pumpkins seeds) per day. 

On 2/7/2017 at 9:11 PM, Strawberry Squatcake said:

Goal 2: Supplement magnesium with foods

I'm going to track magnesium in foods and try to hit the daily value as consistently as I can. I don't want to be stuck having to supplement, because I don't think supplementing is working. I felt like CRAP last time I supplemented. Tired for two days, breakout, stomach issues. And with keto, electrolytes can be an issue. I've been eating. 1/4 c pumpkin seeds. But hope to stretch no but more! 

As as a tiny tack on to this, keep up with other supplements, make sleep a priority. 

How can you tell you are low in magnesium other than tracking nutrients?

On February 8, 2017 at 3:24 AM, Vibrantella said:

Which form of supplemental Mg were you using?  There are so many different ones, I tried a chelated Mg and Mg malate which were both fine for me.

Good luck with your challenge, keto-sister ;) !

I have tried chelated, malate, glycinate, orotate, there's one that starts with a t, I think. I've tried them all. I've also done mag oil, whatever kind that is. I knew a long time ago, the mag was an issue, but I was able to supplement better with foods pre-keto. Once you go low-carb, some of your options narrow (lots of beans, higher carb nuts, some grains, etc., are all out). So supplementing once or twice a week or less was working. Once I went keto, I needed to supplement at least every other day. Sometimes more. 

Anyway, I think I've tried the supplements. When I found the issues the recommendation was to use foods as much as I could. And I'm still looking for the right foods. Pumpkin seeds are my go-to. Almonds, spinach, and I have started using a small amount of sugar free dark chocolate as a treat. So far, it's working! 

On February 8, 2017 at 6:56 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

PEPITAS! 

Pepitas 4eva! I actually ate a bag of seeds with shells, which is don't love, before It figured out Pepitas were pumpkin seeds. I'm like, I think this is what they look like, but don't know what Pepitas are. Idk why auto correct capitalizes Pepitas. Anyway, got some roasted, lightly salted in the bulk bin at whole foods. 1g carbs for a serving. Two servings would be a day's worth, but it can get pretty close with other foods. Life saver! 

On February 8, 2017 at 6:58 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

Nutrient database is your friend though, you can search by nutrient. And it's information that has been USDA tested. 

Here's the magnesium list: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/nutrients/report/nutrientsfrm?max=25&offset=0&totCount=0&nutrient1=304&nutrient2=&nutrient3=&subset=0&sort=c&measureby=m

Go here to pick any nutrient and search; https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/nutrients/index 

Thanks! I actually have used that for mag and potassium, which is also tough. For mag, it's a long ways down to get to much low-carb besides Pepitas, almonds, and dark chocolate (which can be high carb with sugar added). But I definitely eat more spinach now. And can't remember if broccoli is high mag or potassium,but I do more of that. Also more pork for potassium. All things I like, just more deliberate with them! 

On February 8, 2017 at 9:55 AM, raptron said:

Heyyy. You can totally reverse taper. It's a thing. :D 

I knew we would be same page. Your support is the thing dreams are made of. Hey, nerd-bro. How are ya? 

8 hours ago, Urgan said:

Here for the mag~ FWIW, taking magnesium oxide and it has been like magic.

Mag oxide is a laxative for me. Hahaha. But, yes, mag is necessary for life.... And especially not cramping up while lifting! 

6 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

How can you tell you are low in magnesium other than tracking nutrients?

My recovery time takes way longer. Things that shouldn't hurt, hurt for days, and it's a deep ache, almost feels like to the bone. And my neck will hurt and my shoulders will cramp up at work. Like they get tense, which is normal, then don't relax right when I relax. Then your muscles can cramp. I'll get charley horses in my calves or foot arches. I'll also get heart palpitations. And my workouts will suck at this point. I'll feel like my muscles are fatigued, or they'll cramp up while working out. 

I think there are other symptoms like anxiety and blood pressure, too. And your sleep usually improves if you have enough. 

One form that seems to not impact me too much, and I'll use if my recovery sucks, is an Epsom bath. But I only use a cup, and try to limit to once a week. Probably a small dose and that's why I don't react. But it's like insta relief. Epsom bath, sleep like a baby, muscles cured! :) but I can't do that daily, or I'll break out. 

It's weird. I know. 

• Like 3

Muscle tension/cramping empathy. Ugh. Nothing weird about it, you'rejust doing what it takes to feel normal, because bodies. They fussy.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2017 at 10:11 PM, Strawberry Squatcake said:

Can you taper up? Like Pam with her cocaine habit? Tolerance! All I mean is I want to add back in some gains, but don't know if I'll do enough for real gains. So... Taper it is!

Absolutely....call them linear gains.

Hello! Congrats on the new title :). Looks like you have a busy spring ahead, too!

On 2/9/2017 at 11:26 PM, Strawberry Squatcake said:

It's weird. I know. 

Bodies are weird...

On 2/8/2017 at 6:56 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

PEPITAS! 

On 2/9/2017 at 10:26 PM, Strawberry Squatcake said:

Pepitas 4eva! I actually ate a bag of seeds with shells, which is don't love, before It figured out Pepitas were pumpkin seeds. I'm like, I think this is what they look like, but don't know what Pepitas are. Idk why auto correct capitalizes Pepitas. Anyway, got some roasted, lightly salted in the bulk bin at whole foods. 1g carbs for a serving. Two servings would be a day's worth, but it can get pretty close with other foods. Life saver! 

I saw "pepitas" for the first time in the store a few weeks ago. I was like "ooh whats this" and when I read the bag and realized it was just pumpkin seeds I felt deceived.

pumpkins seeds are delicious tho

• Like 3

I've been MIA, but super steady. I'm around nine pounds (since 1/1) down. Still super slow progress (for keto), but I'm happy with it. I'm just past the two month mark and have decided to start adding in workouts and see how I feel.

I'm having a single cheat meal about once every 2 weeks. And the cheats are getting less cheaty, but does usually involve alcohol, which I think is probably a cheat no matter what. 

Otherwise, I feel good, things are pretty easy. Oh!! And I ate peppers this weekend! So far, no fallout. Which is infinitely exciting! 

Magnesium supplementing with food is going smashingly. And work is also great. Met with the CEO on Friday. I think he's been here four years. This is the first time I've ever talked to him one on one (well, with my boss). He says my work was perfect, and he wouldn't change anything in how it was done. He did add some strategic direction, but that was the main purpose of the meeting.

So, all in all, except the frequency of my workouts so far, I'm right on track! 

• Like 6

You guys. I suck at being a good nerd this challenge! I'm doing a good job Ruth the challenge. Just not checking in with anyone else. I need to bring my iPad to work and keto up on lunch beaks. 

I finally crossed the 10lb loss mark (for the year, not in this challenge)!! I'm so excited!

I started with one workout per week. No more than 20 minutes. That went well. Last week I did two twenty minute workouts. Check. This week I've done one 25 minute workout and plan to get in a second. I'll be so exited to get you three 20-30 minute workouts! I've been doing the "rest fully when I need a rest" technique. Not sure if it helps..But this is the most I've worked out in years. So even if it's mental, I'm still doing it. It means the workouts aren't as full on hard. But moving again and being sore from lifting rules. 

I'm struggling some with meal planning. I'm always sticking to keto, but eating more bunless burgers, hot wings and Chipotle no rice, beans, or tortillas) than I should. But, I eat at home almost every single night and all weekend. And I have snacks at work. So it's not all terrible.

Magnesium foods are going well. I need to buy stock in a pumpkin seed farm. ;) And I've been eating peppers! I missed bell peppers, but surprisingly find jalapenos bitter. But, so far, so good! 

And work. You guys, I nailed it!!! The CEI used words like "perfect" (which I have purposely tried to give up wanting, but it's so encouraging to hear) and "far better than I expected we'd get on something like this." The presentation is this week. But the hard work is done and in going to schedule some time off to relax. When I.took this job, many people thought I was crazy because it was off my career path and with a VP who seems to be having work taken away. Now that is going well, I see those same people being a little bitter toward me. That sucks, but I was the one who took the risk. And now they're mad I'm reaping a but of a reward. Had it gone the other way they would have said, "I told you so, you idiot."  Ugh. Duo that's the only negative. But I'll take it for the positives I'm gaining, career-wise. Hope that's not too braggy. 

• Like 3

not too braggy at all!! everyone here know how much hard work you have put into all these aspects of your life. for, what? the last 4 years at least! i love seeing all that hard work pay off. keep it up girl :)

curious, what do you make for dinners at night? besides bunless burgers ;) 

Thanks everyone!

Dinners at home are:

• Lots of salads. Mainly because a salad is a good place to drop most of my DV of magnesium in pumpkin seeds. :) I top them with avocado, raw broccoli, cheese, spinach, and whatever meat I have. I love pioneer woman's Italian drip beef (the one with the pepperocinis), carnitas (love the Chipotle knock off with juniper berries), grilled chicken breast or thighs (I also use the chipotle knock off recipe for the thighs), or even steak on a sale week. Salads probably 75% of nights. 
  • On mondays I make my own chicken wings. Super easy. They go straight into the oven frozen and I use a dry rub when they come out. I crisp the skin under the broiler.
  • I'll also make my own chipotle bowls (no rice, or I'm a fan of the miracle noodle rice) with avocado or guacamole, cheese, sour cream, lettuce and pico. I use the carnitas or chicken above.  
  • Im also a fan of turkey, cream cheese and pickles. Or cheese + avocado + some kind of meat as a super simple meal. Or I'll use romain lettuce for a really easy lettuce wrap with the Italian dressing I get from the Italian restaurant down the street, it's also excellent drizzled on broccoli and sausage melted in the oven with provolone. Usually with pumpkin seeds or almonds for crunch (and magnesium). 
  • There have been nights I'm not very hungry and exhausted I'll have a quest bar and some pumpkin seeds. Not really not eating out, but it works. 

Hope that helps answer that question. Nothing fancy but it's working. Even just super slowly.

overall challenge - failed at keeping up with anyone's challenges. :( 

but for staying keto (A+), getting magnesium through food (B+), working out when energy was up (B), and kill it at work (A). Overall, an A-/B+

Next challenge I'm setting some better sleep goals. That seems to be hanging me up a bit. 

• Like 3