• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sam Ashen

Sam Ashen the Iron Crisis

2 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

Where was I in 2006 when this book was written?  I just moved from Wisconsin to Mississippi.  From what I remember at that time, the term, "Millennial" did not exist and they were still looking for a label that would stick.

I would imagine demographers are still not quite decided on how exactly to define the generation.  I am no demographer, but I go by lining up important world events with stage of life.  One such important world event was September 11, 2001 and I define "Millennial" as somebody who has not yet finished high school when it happened, but is old enough to remember the event.

I was a young engineer working in California when it happened.

That'd mean I would definitely fit that description. Freshman at the time. That whole label thing is like finding cut off points of generations. It's kinda...hazy at best. 

4 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

I also read one chapter of Rich Dad, Poor Dad.  It is, of course, very interesting.  Given my circumstances, I do not believe it is very likely that I will ever get into the business of starting businesses.

Entrepreneurship takes a certain kind of person and you had better love what you do before you work for yourself, because it's gonna test your love for that thing in a big way, especially when getting started. Or so I've heard. Not really thinking of starting one, either.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Urgan said:

That'd mean I would definitely fit that description. Freshman at the time. That whole label thing is like finding cut off points of generations. It's kinda...hazy at best. 

I wonder if at the time, other generations rejected the idea that they fit into the generational description as much as many millennials do.

I think that the rise of technology made a bigger impact in the cut off point for the generation than it has been given credit for.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

I would imagine demographers are still not quite decided on how exactly to define the generation.  I am no demographer, but I go by lining up important world events with stage of life.  One such important world event was September 11, 2001 and I define "Millennial" as somebody who has not yet finished high school when it happened, but is old enough to remember the event.

I was a young engineer working in California when it happened.

I was a junior in undergrad at the time. I actually went to school after seeing it on the news, and most of my classes ended up cancelled or a short discussion about what was going on. 

Personally, I think there's probably a difference between a generation who grew up with OLD tech, like BBS-style internet and just old DOS games, maybe saw the early days of geocities homepages or thought that a few hours to download a song was "pretty fast" and a generation who more or less had access to the internet as it mostly is today, with wikipedia for a launching point for homework in the comfort of their bedroom or some such. I remember doing research papers *at the library* with *actual encyclopedias* as the jumping off point for a topic. 

Fun fact: My gym bag is my college backpack from 1999, which was so cool when I bought it because it had a plastic interior pocket for a CD player and a little hole for your headphones to come out of so you could walk around on campus listening to your jams.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ixaera said:

I was a junior in undergrad at the time. I actually went to school after seeing it on the news, and most of my classes ended up cancelled or a short discussion about what was going on. 

Personally, I think there's probably a difference between a generation who grew up with OLD tech, like BBS-style internet and just old DOS games, maybe saw the early days of geocities homepages or thought that a few hours to download a song was "pretty fast" and a generation who more or less had access to the internet as it mostly is today, with wikipedia for a launching point for homework in the comfort of their bedroom or some such. I remember doing research papers *at the library* with *actual encyclopedias* as the jumping off point for a topic. 

Fun fact: My gym bag is my college backpack from 1999, which was so cool when I bought it because it had a plastic interior pocket for a CD player and a little hole for your headphones to come out of so you could walk around on campus listening to your jams.

ENCYCLOPEDIA BRITANNICA, FOOLS. RESEARCH REPORTS FOR DAYS. The finest knowledge circa 1973.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

I had that CD

I remember Encarta... the high school & college libraries had it! We didn't have it at home (too expensive). In fact, when we first got internet, it was AOL 2.0, 10 hours free! I got in so much trouble because I basically used those 10 hours the first day we had it, chatting in Teen Chat until the wee hours of the morning. Oops.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ixaera said:

I remember Encarta... the high school & college libraries had it! We didn't have it at home (too expensive). In fact, when we first got internet, it was AOL 2.0, 10 hours free! I got in so much trouble because I basically used those 10 hours the first day we had it, chatting in Teen Chat until the wee hours of the morning. Oops.

I was chatting on an American teen chat (it could be Teen Chat). That was ~1998-99 I think. I used to spend all night online when I didn't have school the next day.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ixaera said:

30 minutes ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

I was chatting on an American teen chat (it could be Teen Chat). That was ~1998-99 I think. I used to spend all night online when I didn't have school the next day.

A/S/L?

• Like 2

Just now, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

A/S/L?

Ahhh how fast 14/f/tx changed to 999/goat/in your mind (or whatever snarky thing I came up with that day)

• Like 7

23 hours ago, Urgan said:

Entrepreneurship takes a certain kind of person and you had better love what you do before you work for yourself, because it's gonna test your love for that thing in a big way, especially when getting started. Or so I've heard. Not really thinking of starting one, either.

The only response I can think of for this is, sticking to the field that I am in, I suppose I might be able to buy a plant similar to the one I am in for $10M to $20M.  If I had that kind of money, I would have better things to do.  In Rich Dad / Poor Dad terms, I would move from the "Poor Employee" quadrant to the "Free Investor" quadrant.

------------------------------------

In the past here on this Forum, I have discussed little bits about personal finance and used gold pieces to describe investments and silver pieces to describe income and expenses.  That way, I can safely avoid giving out real nominal quantities of fake dollars.

-------------------------------------

Such lively discussion about the early days of the internet.  Chat rooms and stuff.  I was a mud addict for most of my university years.  Who remembers MUD?

--------------------------------------

Waiting for Spring, Week 6, Day 1, Monday

Hip Snatch + Overhead Squat: 3x104, 3x114, 3x124 pounds

Hang Snatch: 2x114, 2x129, 3x1x144 pounds - The second set with 129 was pretty ugly.  I saved the first rep by turning it into a power snatch.

Hip Clean + 2 Jerks: 3x139, 3x154, 3x164 pounds

Hang Clean: 2x154, 2x174, 3x1x199 pounds

Squats: 5x184, 5x224, 3x274, 5x299, 2x5x254 pounds - DING!!!  PR!!!

Push Press: 5x134, 3x164, 5x189, 2x5x164 pounds

I liked the way the squats looked, but the push presses felt kind of ugly.

More Spaghetti tonight.

Score for Today:

3526 Calories

380 Carbs (300 to 420)

124 Fat (100 to 140)

245 Protein (160 minimum)

+2.4 Overall

Hitting the Broad Side of a Barn: 7/10

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

Such lively discussion about the early days of the internet.  Chat rooms and stuff.  I was a mud addict for most of my university years.  Who remembers MUD?

ME!

I mostly played this one that I can't for the life of me remember the name of. Started with an F. Had a special program to file MUDs and save macros. I was terrible at them, though. Always got killed and my stuff taken. SIGH. Later, my ex-husband set one up that I could write myself. That was a fun, though short-lived project. 

That MUD is where I first used my handle! :D

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ixaera said:

ME!

I mostly played this one that I can't for the life of me remember the name of. Started with an F. Had a special program to file MUDs and save macros. I was terrible at them, though. Always got killed and my stuff taken. SIGH. Later, my ex-husband set one up that I could write myself. That was a fun, though short-lived project. 

That MUD is where I first used my handle! :D

I think I played one that started with an F.  Hmm.

Frontier was local to my university.  Starmud was another one.

Lots of stories....

But so stoked that I met somebody that used to play MUD!

3 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

I think I played one that started with an F.  Hmm.

Frontier was local to my university.  Starmud was another one.

Lots of stories....

But so stoked that I met somebody that used to play MUD!

I feel like the name was like Fandango, but it wasn't Fandango. 

I tried to search it just now but it's not on any of the lists I looked at, so maybe it went defunct at some point. I mean, it's been almost 20 years, it'd be crazy if it were still up, I guess.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ixaera said:

I feel like the name was like Fandango, but it wasn't Fandango. 

I tried to search it just now but it's not on any of the lists I looked at, so maybe it went defunct at some point. I mean, it's been almost 20 years, it'd be crazy if it were still up, I guess.

MUD has long since been replaced by MMORPG.

My playing peaked around 1995.

• Like 2

ahh...  you're khhill73 in my IG feed...  I have forgotten this.  I'm jealous of all the bumper plates and platforms in your videos.  

• Like 2

Waiting for Spring, Week 6, Day 2, Tuesday

Paused Overhead Squats: 3x94, 3x114, 1x134, 3x154

Overhead Squats: 2x3x134 pounds

Paused Deadlifts: 3x224, 3x344, 3x394, 3x444 pounds

Deadlifts: 3x3x379 pounds

Overhead Press: 5x44, 5x64, 5x94, 3x114, 3x134 + 2 push press, 2x5x114 pounds

Farmers Carry: 4x85 pounds

Lower Back Extensions: 4x10x70 pounds, superset with

Lateral Raises, 4x10x22.5 pounds

The paused overhead squats were a PR for me and they sure felt like a PR.  The paused deadlifts seem to be at my limit.  Today was not my day for Overhead Press.  The Farmers Carry I will try the weight again next week, along with the lateral raises.

Score for Today:

2808 Calories

318 Carbs (300 to 420)

102 Fat (100 to 140)

184 Protein (164 minimum)

-5.0 Overall

Hitting the Broad Side of a Barn: 8/11

Today was a bare minimum kind of day.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

MUD has long since been replaced by MMORPG.

My playing peaked around 1995.

Shut your filthy mouth. There's still a vibrant MUD community out there. And by vibrant, I mean mostly Mormon stay at home moms on dialup.

I kinda miss them though. Imaginative, interactive worlds on a low/no cost development basis? Not the worst. I think RetroMUD is the only thing like a successful userbase anymore, and that degenerated (or improved, depending on preferences) into a yiff-fest of improbable variety by the time I left. 40 ton anthro whales making it with 8lb flying raccoon people. Also, google image search impressed me.

indohyus-whale.jpg?w=300&h=209

22ba6dfc6b3e68ae3784452282559d2f.jpg
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

Farmers Carry: 4x85 pounds

The Farmers Carry I will try the weight again next week, along with the lateral raises.

Curious...what do you use as a distance for farmer carries? I was having discussion with coach whether it would be better to do longer distance carries with less weight or short heavy carries but we couldn't rationalize a way that one was better than the other(basically came down to time under tension vs amount of tension)...so now I am asking around when I see people doing them.

1 minute ago, ArgSki77 said:

Curious...what do you use as a distance for farmer carries?

I was told about 35 yards each set, so pace it out a path for myself that I believe is close enough.  So where I was, if I grab the dumbbells and walk to a hallway, then down the hallway past a couple of studios, that is one set.  Up and down the hallway a couple of times is a couple more sets.  Then I go put them back and gauge how I feel based on if I need a break before putting the dumbbells away.

Last night my last set was cut just short of the dumbbell rack because somebody was doing curls right in front of the rack so he could see himself up close and personal in the mirrors.  Good for you, bro.  When I get home, I will look up what Dom says your curls say about you.

What my dumbbell curls say about me:  In D&D I always play the Paladin. :angel:

• Like 3