Building Up The Tool Kit

Kestrel Grey

This challenge is about building more resources, rather than getting results.

While my past few challenges have had clear, concise, and reasonable goals, I still struggled with them. I tend to get pretty down on myself when I fail on easy things so I took some time off to mentally reset, and it became clear that there are some mental processes that need to be shored up before I can get where I want to be physically. So on to building up that tool chest!

Tool #1: The Priority List

A list to be made each night of the things that I hope to accomplish the next day. My top three priorities will be circled, and I will work on nothing else until those three are completed, then I can move down the list.  I can consider the day successful if the top three are complete. Hopefully this will save me from wasting my day on minor errands and not having time to exercise or meal prep.

Tool #2: The Bullet Journal

More a calendar, really, where I can colour in the squares for 6 tasks as to whether they were done that day. (For February, these are: exercise, eating veggies, avoiding sugar, Spanish practise, training my bird, and flossing.) I would like to see if daily tracking (in a quicker form than having to type out an update here daily) and wanting to see a sea of blue boxes instead of red boxes helps with consistency. I will consider the day successful if I fill out the journal, regardless of whether I got the tasks all complete. This is about building the tools!

Image result for bullet journal anime

Tool #3: Mindfulness Reminder

Before every time I eat (aiming for every time I think about food) I will do a quick mindfulness scan. First bring my awareness to my surroundings, the place and atmosphere that I am in. Next bring my awareness to my body, how am I feeling throughout. Finally, be aware of the topic of my thoughts and feelings.  I have had some early success with this breaking habitual eating and overcoming sugar cravings, so I'd like to see if this can be developed further, or if it stays a useful practise.

Image result for meditation anime

As long as I give these tools an honest try, there are no bad results. I am just gathering information to see if these might help me down the road. (But I really hope they do end up making a difference! My Bullet Journal will show if there are improvements in my healthy habits, and my scale and workout log will show gains in fitness.)

• Like 3

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

Ugh, I finally figured out what has been keeping me feeling anxious recently; I've been having mild asthma attacks, so the wheezy short breaths are physical not mental. Likely from having my face pressed against the carpet now that I started yoga... I have a bird that sheds birdy dander resistant to any vacuum. Le Sigh.

Any suggestions on how to keep up with yoga? I think it will really help if I think a way around this. The space by the bird cage is the only area big enough.

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

I love your user name. Kestral Greys are so pretty. I like your BuJo plan.

A yoga mat may mat may help with the carpet giving you asthma.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

3 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I love your user name. Kestral Greys are so pretty. I like your BuJo plan.

A yoga mat may mat may help with the carpet giving you asthma.

Thanks. And barrier protection sounds worth a try!

• Like 1

― Neil Gaiman

Following! Sorry to hear about the asthma. A mat will also help you hold poses better than carpet will. 

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Week 0 Update:

I have decided to alter my goals a little bit. It's turning out counterproductive to have both a daily goals list in my bullet journal and a separate daily goal list in my schedule. Either they are identical, or they differ and I can't do both. So for now I am dropping the "top three priority" list from my schedule.

Thanks @Elastigirl  and @Charlie_Quinn! Using a mat has stopped the asthma issues.  I am thinking about quitting my gym for the summer and trying at-home workouts, but there was no way it would work if I couldn't breathe ha.

Finally, I am going to have to rework my nutrition. Since having to report my sugar intake daily, I have almost stopped eating any junk food, but this has left me with a calorie deficit. I couldn't figure out why I was so exhausted until I added it up, and I have been running 800-1000 calories a day... spinach just isn't making up for the ice cream and cookies.

• Like 2

― Neil Gaiman

Good hat you figured out why you were so tired. I did that when I first went low-carb. I didn't add in enough fat, and I was eating way too little. Took me a bit to finally clue in to the problem.

• Like 1

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Week 1: Sunday

I am going into week 1 of this challenge happy and relaxed, after sorting out a few mental hangups. First, I am reintroducing bread and milk into my daily eating after flirting with a Paleo-ish diet for the past 6 months.  Eliminating grains and dairy hasn't had much of a positive effect on my strength gains, energy levels or weight, and it has had a massive detrimental effect on my overall Happy.  I had toast with my eggs for breakfast today, rye crackers with PB and a banana with my salad at lunch, and feel amazing.  Second, I resolved an internal struggle between wanting to cut the holiday fat and wanting to gain muscle.  Two nights ago I couldn't sleep because I was so anxious and conflicted about how to organise my life, and I realised that wanting to cut fat is all about pleasing others for shallow reasons. My weight is quite healthy even if it is not ideal. Being able to finally nail that chin-up or get a PB on my lifts will impact my live in a much more meaningful way than losing the muffin-top in my jeans. So the struggle is resolved, and I will eat as much as I need to to fuel my workouts.

Priority List: Still helpful to figure out what can reasonably be accomplished in the day and how to best organise myself, but I almost never end up sticking to it. Life always happens ha.

Bullet Journal: I like the way it makes me accountable without adding blame. Just an objective and pretty view of how I am doing.  There were a few more red squares than I would like this past week but I have been consistently doing things like adding in a quick cardio or yoga session on days that I don't do a full workout, just to be able to add a nicer colour. 

Mindfulness reminder: Yesterday I brought out a pack of date/nut rolls at night, and usually would have eaten the whole thing. But my practise is paying off and after the first one, I did my mental body scan and realised that I didn't want more right now. Same thing today when I passed the snack drawer at work. :) 

My main challenge this week is getting over my hatred of being humiliated. On Friday I had a session at my OCR training facility booked and paid for, then wussed out because I know I still don't have the basic strength to handle several of the obstacles. Guaranteed failure in front of an audience... *shudder*  Trying and failing may be the fastest way to get better so let's see if I make it this week.

• Like 3

― Neil Gaiman

You are great at thinking through what works for you. Woot for deciding to focus on strength!

I'm a little late but here I am following along. I'm happy to hear you asthma is doing better.

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Happy Valentine's day everyone!

Yesterday was a little bit too strong of a start to the week. A friend came out and we went for a nice winter hike in the mountains for most of the day. It was beautiful and warm, so we went further than we had planned. Then back home to do my strength training, and finally I tacked rowing on the end of my workout for the mini. All in all a great day... except I had to work last night and ran out of time to sleep. Oops. I'm very happily off home to sleep soon, and I don't plan on waking until dinner.

On 2/13/2017 at 1:39 AM, jonfirestar said:

I'm a little late but here I am following along. I'm happy to hear you asthma is doing better.

Thanks! 

• Like 2

― Neil Gaiman

Glad to hear the mat helped with the asthma. I like everything you wrote about your diet and going with what works for you. Good for you for doing what's right for you and not someone else.

On 2/13/2017 at 0:06 AM, Kestrel Grey said:

My main challenge this week is getting over my hatred of being humiliated. On Friday I had a session at my OCR training facility booked and paid for, then wussed out because I know I still don't have the basic strength to handle several of the obstacles. Guaranteed failure in front of an audience... *shudder*  Trying and failing may be the fastest way to get better so let's see if I make it this week.

You aren't failing, you're learning. Just remember that everyone in the audience was a beginner at one point too. I guarantee that everyone there will be supportive and helpful (because that's what OCR people are like). Plus, the instructors or experienced people might even show you some techniques for getting over some obstacles without having to rely on strength alone. Use your 20 seconds of courage and have fun! :)

• Like 1

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 

On 14/02/2017 at 7:17 AM, Charlie_Quinn said:

You aren't failing, you're learning. Just remember that everyone in the audience was a beginner at one point too. I guarantee that everyone there will be supportive and helpful (because that's what OCR people are like). Plus, the instructors or experienced people might even show you some techniques for getting over some obstacles without having to rely on strength alone. Use your 20 seconds of courage and have fun! :)

I'm signed up again for this Friday.  Only it takes more like an hour of courage.  The drive takes an hour, and the route has multiple turn-offs to malls and game stores... so very tempting. Luckily I am on a shopping ban so they should be less of a temptation.

On Tuesday, I went waaay over my calories. My hubby and I went out to a four-course Italian dinner. With champagne, wine, and lemoncello.  However, I didn't let the mild hangover stop me from going to the gym so I am telling myself all those calories are going straight to muscle. I may be slightly delusional but the food was delicious, and totally worth every bite.

• Like 2

― Neil Gaiman

9 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I'm signed up again for this Friday.  Only it takes more like an hour of courage.  The drive takes an hour, and the route has multiple turn-offs to malls and game stores... so very tempting. Luckily I am on a shopping ban so they should be less of a temptation.

My advice here is don't think just do. Try and just focus on getting there rather than letting your mind wander about the horrible things because, those horrible things probably won't happen and if they do you can handle them!

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

I summoned up my 20 seconds of courage and made it to my obstacle course class.  It was every bit as bad as my worst imaginings.

The instructor told me there was no point even learning technique for the obstacles because I had the strength and mobility of a little old lady. And that the last 8 months of hard work strength training was for nothing and I shouldn't even bother strength training. He recommended I go find a basic movement class for seniors (I'm 34).  And then told me to go stretch or something while he had his other students train.

On the plus side I made it to the car before I burst into tears, so that's a plus. My meditation must be working.

I am not sure how to process this right now. Is the guy a massive jerk? Yes. Does that mean he is wrong? Because I have worked hard these past months. And he is right I am still weak. My inner voices are arguing between admitting I should just quit trying and trying even harder.

― Neil Gaiman

Update: I did some shopping therapy and feel all better. I bought new workout clothes and an assistance band so I can work on pull ups at home, because screw him. :D

No one gets to tell me I'm not worth training.

He is right about my flexibility. My hamstrings and hips have always been super tight, so it might be worth prioritizing daily yoga instead of a couple times a week.

― Neil Gaiman

Yes, the instructor was a jerk. I'm sorry that happened to you. He didn't really want to teach people, he just wanted people who had already done the OCR before. Good for you for deciding to keep going . I don't do OCR (not that brave) but from what I've heard everyone on the course is super helpful, and you can choose not  to do certain obstacles. People on the forum have done them, and they are at all different levels of experience.

• Like 2

Week 1 Review

Workouts: 5/7

3 weight training, 1 cardio, 1 skills training

No Sugar: 3/7

Vegetables: 7/7

Spanish practice: 4/7

Bird training: 6/7

Flossing: 5/7

I rearranged my bullet journal today to make it easier to track my progress (plus make it prettier!) and was surprised at the week's results. I had thought I was behind on workouts but doing okay on sugar, but it looks like it's the other way around. Oops.  This is likely because I've gone slack on my second part of the challenge with mindful eating. I've been forgetting a lot recently.

― Neil Gaiman

On 2/18/2017 at 2:00 AM, Kestrel Grey said:

The instructor told me there was no point even learning technique for the obstacles because I had the strength and mobility of a little old lady. And that the last 8 months of hard work strength training was for nothing and I shouldn't even bother strength training. He recommended I go find a basic movement class for seniors (I'm 34).  And then told me to go stretch or something while he had his other students train.

What the hell! Where do you live Kestrel? Because I really want to come over to wherever this guy trains and punch him in the face. Not only is this guy an arsehole, he's a terrible trainer. Fuck him and his shitty attitude. Sorry, this has just pissed me off so much.

On 2/18/2017 at 8:27 AM, Kestrel Grey said:

Update: I did some shopping therapy and feel all better. I bought new workout clothes and an assistance band so I can work on pull ups at home, because screw him. :D

No one gets to tell me I'm not worth training.

I'm so glad you've not let this jerk defeat you. You can do this Kestrel!

GIPHY Studios Originals reaction good thumbs up good job

• Like 2

2020 Races: 

1 hour ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

What the hell! Where do you live Kestrel? Because I really want to come over to wherever this guy trains and punch him in the face. Not only is this guy an arsehole, he's a terrible trainer. Fuck him and his shitty attitude. Sorry, this has just pissed me off so much.

Thanks CQ. The experience would be totally worth it if it got you over to Canada. I'd love to run an OCR with you some day. My husband already offered to deal out face punches, but confrontation isn't something I handle well. I think having a great time rocking OCRs all summer and never worrying about that twerp again will be a much better morale boost.

― Neil Gaiman

Thursday Update

I had been in a bit of a funk since last Friday.  The trainer thing bugged me more than I wanted to admit and I let myself slack on everything.  Finally today I managed to say 'enough!' and pulled myself together, and went back to the OCR training facility. A different trainer was giving the class today, and it was awesome!! There were more people and a few other newbies too.  It has been bugging me that I didn't have the courage to complain about that first person, so I did so today. Nicely, I just let them know what he said, and that it was very unwelcoming to new people. *so proud of myself*

Today was also the day to tackle the mini-challenge for the week, and I broke out the sewing machine that's been collecting dust for the past two years.

I am now physically, mentally and emotionally drained but much happier. It's also the first day this week I didn't fall to sugar.

• Like 3

― Neil Gaiman

So happy that your second experience at the OCR gym was so much better than the first! Woot for perseverance!

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

Hey Kestrel,

Have you ever heard of a One Thing list?  (I may have made up the terminology, but I know the concept existed long before I was aware of it.)

If you struggle with being overwhelmed with stuff, do a One Thing list, in addition to your daily goals list.  Basically it's, "If I only did One Thing tomorrow to feel like I didn't waste my day, what would it be?"

I love that you went back to the OCR after you had the crappy instructor.  You're much braver than I am (and I'm pretty brave about some things). 

(Already!?) Level 3 Ranger / Epic Declutterer / Prolific Writer

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/163280

"Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change."  - Jim Rohn

17 minutes ago, Lydiechan said:

Hey Kestrel,

Have you ever heard of a One Thing list?  (I may have made up the terminology, but I know the concept existed long before I was aware of it.)

If you struggle with being overwhelmed with stuff, do a One Thing list, in addition to your daily goals list.  Basically it's, "If I only did One Thing tomorrow to feel like I didn't waste my day, what would it be?"

I love that you went back to the OCR after you had the crappy instructor.  You're much braver than I am (and I'm pretty brave about some things). 

Hi Lydiechan! I think the One Thing list sounds great. It is sort of what I was going for with my priority list, but maybe a pared-down version would be better.

And thanks for the vote of bravery. :) 

• Like 1

― Neil Gaiman

Week Two Summary

Okay, this week didn't start off well but I finished strong.

Workouts: 4/7

X Sugar: 2/7

Vegetables: 7/7

Spanish: 3/7

Bird Training: 4/7

Floss: 6/7

Eating veggies and flossing have become surprisingly stable habits. The daily bullet journal is lending itself well to these sorts of things. Possibly because when I sit down to fill out my journal and see they weren't done, I can quickly go do them. (There have been a lot of late-night carrot feasts.)

The sugar thing is still a problem when I get stressed, we'll see if refocusing on the mindful eating for the next two weeks helps.

Now I'm off to try the Warrior Mini - Deadlift Challenge!

• Like 1

― Neil Gaiman