Cataleya and a Whole Lotta Knope

Cataleya

So for the longest time, I thought I was April Ludgate. I'm snarky, I have a dark sense of humor, I'm stupidly attracted to Chris Pratt...

But I'm starting to realize...

giphy.gif

So that's where we are right now.

I'm gonna append a post to this that explains in more detail why last challenge sucked (suffice to say, limit break NOT achieved). But this challenge is going to be about gaining back control and getting myself on the right track. I'm trying to keep it simple, but like Knope, I'm an overachiever. So. We're gonna do this. Four things, one of which is going to be really hard. 

giphy.gif

NEW CHALLENGE!

parks-and-rec-tired.gif 

GLORIOUS FEMALE WARRIOR

Lift 3x a week

At least once needs to be at the actual gym so I can practice pull ups and do bar stuff.

The other two may be at home with adjustable dumbbells/body weights if time is an issue.

giphy.gif

RELAX

Yoga 2x a week

Once with class, once on my own

giphy.gif

FIX UP THAT DIET

Adhere to general Whole30 guidelines 7x a week.

Specifically, these:

No added sugar

No alcohol

No grains

No legumes (exception: finishing off my Medifast stuff, which has a bit of soy in it--I have too much left over to just throw it out)

No dairy

MyFitnessPal

giphy.gif

EMOTIONAL STABILITY

Check in with you guys 7x a week to vent and just take care of myself and get support and stuff

Life's rough, yo.

If I can't check in here, at least post something to Instagram.

STARTING WEIGHT: 196lbs
WEIGHT ON MARCH 11: ???

Date Weight 7-Day Avg. (lbs) Lean Mass 7-Day Avg. (lbs) Fat Mass 7-Day Avg. (lbs) Lean Mass per Fat Mass ratio Fat lbs Left to Lose to hit 3.5 ratio
12-Feb-2017 193.7 139.5 54.2 2.57 14.4
19-Feb-2017 191.5 138.2 53.3 2.59 13.8
26-Feb-2017 189.7 137.2 52.5 2.61 13.3

Untitled.thumb.png.ef26aaf8a3adaab9e9e9c92ce77c22d9.png

So yeah. Let's do this!

giphy.gif

• Like 15

Ugh I lost this post and now have to retype it. There's some political stuff below, which I'll pop the majority of it into a spoiler so those who are avoiding that kind of stuff can do so.

Anyway, so last challenge sucked. To make a long story short, I have a lot going on (graduate school, job, job searching, etc.) and while I can handle the workload just fine, it's the constantly-changing schedule that makes it hard for me to do anything. It's difficult for me to 1) do all of that, 2) keep my living space... liveable, and 3) take care of myself by working out. I kind of have to pick two, you know? Plus there's all this political upheaval in the States right now, which I didn't really realize was basically constant low key stress since before November, not just from my own stuff but from everything around me. Like it's not social media particularly getting me down, it's the constant stream of bullshit that's happening and seeing how it affects the people around me. And I work in education so yesterday was a clusterfuck for a lot of us.

Spoiler

And to top it all off, my ability to be involved in changing things/preventing things from changing right now is limited to phone calls and postcards and stuff like that, because of all the traveling I'm doing. I wasn't in town when the Women's March happened, for instance. I am too tired to do many of the other things happening in the city, or they're happening while I'm at work, etc. I've mostly relegated myself to helping other people get organized. My mentor said I should focus on getting a job so I can then do that work once I'm there, but depending on where I end up, there might be limits on what I can do before tenure. So there's this added stress in a way of like, balancing my own future and the future of the country? Is what it feels like. Probably a bit hyperbolic, but maybe not as much as I think.

And you know, I'm German. So there's been this added layer of stress watching white supremacy kick up and just wondering if it was like this for my great grandparents, who hated Jews. Like were they like these people? Was it different? Would I feel differently if I had grown up in these areas, during these times, instead of traveling the world and meeting so many amazing people from so many different backgrounds and with so many different identity characteristics? And I dunno, it's just causing some existential shit in a way. And to just think the foreigners--especially Muslims--that I know could have their visas revoked at any point, or worse, to be attacked as we've seen happen. A synagogue here in town got vandalized by white supremacists. Mosques have been burned down in a couple of places. I feel powerless to stop all of that. I don't support that, I don't want that to happen, I don't think it's okay. But I feel like I have no fucking clue what to do to stop it, even with time and energy.

So yeah. I didn't really realize it but I hadn't been taking care of myself like I should. I wasn't sleeping, I was drinking soda again, I wasn't eating and when I was, it was shit food... no bueno. I saw the doctor yesterday, and she wasn't happy I'd been gaining weight, and asked what we could do about it. I half joked, "Really, I just need to stop eating." It was a reference to the fact that my mom lost like 40lbs because she got braces and literally couldn't eat anything. She was eating like 600 calories a day, so yeah, she lost weight. And I was only losing weight because I was eating like 800-900 calories a day on Medifast, but it wasn't sustainable.

Well she took it to heart anyway, and prescribed me this appetite suppressing thing. This is my third day on it, and I actually kind of like it. I mean, I didn't feel like eating before, but now when I do feel hungry, I don't want sweets. And I haven't been mindlessly eating, either. And I can't have soda on it, because the appetite suppressant works by stimulating my nervous system, so that caffeine and sugar is not great for my nerves. I had soda the first day on it and man I was jittery. So I haven't had it since. So what I'm hoping is that it'll make this Whole30 easier by just making me not want sweets and stuff, so the craving part is easier. But I will have to keep track of my calories and what I'm eating just to make sure I'm not inadvertently like, starving myself or something. But the other thing is that I don't have a slouch in the middle of the day, and I actually got up this morning, before my alarm even. I went to bed at like 11, meant to go to bed at 10 but was reading and got absorbed in it. Woke up at 5:20, fiddled around on social media for a bit, and got out of bed at 5:50, and my alarm was set for 6am. Got on the computer and started to work on a manuscript I have been putting off for a few weeks due to job interview and had to reinstall stuff so I came on here to chat with people and get a new challenge going. And now I'm trying to figure out this R code for this manuscript. I also have an outline for another manuscript I'd like to eventually write. idk maybe my CNS is broken.

Of course, it's only day 3, so we'll see if that holds up. I'm skeptical but a bit hopeful? If it does help, cool. If it doesn't, I'll stop taking it.

So yeah. I'm gonna do what I can to clean up my diet, and if you've seen any of the videos on instagram, you know my shoulder has all kinds of mobility issues, so that's why the yoga is in there. (That and I have the tightest hips and IT band known to mankind I got a massage shortly before my interview and the second the massage therapist touched the outside of my thighs he was like, "Oh wow," and my thighs were like, "WHO DARES DISTURB MY SLUMBER" so yeah.) I'm taking a yoga/mindfulness class-like thing, so I'll go to that once a week and do some stuff on my own another day of the week. Then I'm gonna continue to do lifts, and actually like, adhere to the plan, and then of course take some time to get some emotional support from you all. Because I really try not to lean on other people, and I totally need to learn how to do that.

So yeah. 

giphy.gif

• Like 8

YESSSSS P&R

swansonsmile.gif

You're gonna Knope the heck out of this one~

• Like 4

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

Here for this! I am very torn between Ron and April as favorite characters, but why choose? :)

• Like 2

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

3 hours ago, Cataleya said:

That and I have the tightest hips and IT band known to mankind I got a massage shortly before my interview and the second the massage therapist touched the outside of my thighs he was like, "Oh wow," and my thighs were like, "WHO DARES DISTURB MY SLUMBER" so yeah.

AAAAhahahahah, this made my day and I love the challenge on the whole.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: [Beginning Jan 2020]

Past Challenges: Road to Redemption  Spartan! 006 Triwizard Wonder (1/2) Bourne Foundations Storyteller

"Come stay a while and listen" - Deckard

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf 

Good challenge! I'm off sugar this challenge too - not quite whole 30 but it's a start. You can do it!! 

• Like 1

"You can have what you want, or you can have something better"

Character Page                Current Challenge    

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

PACT challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

To set an example for my patients and my family.

To no longer feel inferior or held back because of my weight.

To gain more confidence and be proud of my appearance.

Starting Weight: 290 lbs

Main Quest: Reach my Ideal Body Weight of 190 lbs

I love it and I love Leslie. I'm pretty sure I'm Jerry/Larry/Garry Gergich!

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

I'm using my phone speech to text thing so some of this might come out a bit weird. Anyway today was fine. I didn't eat much and my MyFitnessPal is yelling at me that I didn't eat enough. My macros are pretty good though all things considered and I didn't desire sugar at all today. There were some sweets in the office and I walked right by them like eight times and didn't have one. Didn't have soda. I did have a headache by the end of the day because I think, you know, the withdrawal from the sugar or whatever and less caffeine. So I need to remember to bring aspirin with me to work over the next couple of days just to be safe. But really other than that I feel fine. It feels kind of weird to not want soda. Like I expected to want it around noon, but I just didn't. So that's weird. My friend who has been on ADHD medication--which is similar to what I'm on but not exactly--said that the focus stuff will wear off after a while which I'm also okay with, but in the meantime I'm going to take advantage of waking up at 5:30 a.m. It was nice to get some work done while everyone else is asleep and not bothering me with the stupid shit.

Other than that today was pretty uneventful. It's kind of weird that it was uneventful I guess. I feel like I was doing stuff, but it was mostly busy work so it didn't end up actually amounting to much. I played Fire Emblem Heroes for a while, and wasted some of my things trying to get a good hero but that didn't work at all in my favor haha. Has anyone here been playing that?

Well I guess I should go to bed. I'll check in with you guys tomorrow morning likely. :)

• Like 7

So I didn't sleep well last night. I had stomach issues (TOM visited today so), but once they resolved around 1:30, I was able to fall asleep. I could have gotten out of bed at 6am, but decided to rest a bit longer because I knew today would be a long day (workshop downtown + work back uptown + meeting with student + seminar = 9am-8pm work day).

Fire Emblem Heroes might be the thing I start checking when I wake up, instead of social media.

The workshop went okay. This certificate program would be a lot more useful if it focused on meaningful action rather than just going over the basics.

Because it's FUN DAYS TOM DAYS my stomach is rumbly because I'm used to eating more around this time. But while downtown I realized how much advertising there is for restaurants, because I noticed I wasn't reacting ("Oooh, well I could just run in and grab a sandwich from Jimmy John's), and then coming back I've still ignored the pralines on the table at work and haven't put sugar in my tea.

My seminar tonight will be interesting. I know who is bringing food so I also know that it will be entirely up in the air if it's pizza or something healthy. I guess we'll see!

• Like 5
On 2/8/2017 at 9:51 AM, Cataleya said:

Also guys I need friends:  MyFitnessPal

Looks like a good plan for your goals for this challenge following along :) ! Also I added you on MFP since you lit the beacons ;)

Gondor-calls-for-aid.gif

tumblr_lwd61fYFx01qaa5c1o4_250.gif

• Like 6

Half-Elf: Ranger/Assassin

Challenges: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6a] [6b] [7] [8] [8.5] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [ --> Battle Log]

Old Battle Logs [2017] New Battle Log 2018: Reforged

DragonForging My Life: Epic Quests [Google D] Epic Quests [NF]

Lifter Profile [Symmetric Strength] Racer Profile [Athlinks] Body Comp [G-Sheet] Running Stats [G-Sheet]

I wonder what Viggo is up to these days.

So yeah, she brought pizza and salad. XD Amazingly, I only had one (of the smaller) slices, half a breadstick, and salad. For context, usually I have like, two slices and at least one breadstick and a soda. Maybe some salad if I'm feeling guilty. And I'll usually take more home with me to snack on the next day. Today I just walked out and didn't even think about it until halfway home. And no soda. 9 glasses of water, though.

Earlier in the day, I was a bit tempted by soda but didn't grab any. I dunno if it's because I forgot my pills at home (I take one in the morning and the other right before lunch... Any later and I'm likely to suffer insomnia), caffeine withdrawal, TOM, habit, nostalgia... Lol... But yeah, I did want that, though it was less, now that I am thinking about it. Like when I wasn't looking directly at the cans sitting on the table, I didn't think about them. I did grab a sandwich (these were leftovers from a lunch meeting) but didn't eat the brownie and didn't add any of the condiments. Basically a little flatbread with turkey and spinach. And that was enough.

I imagine some of this is placebo effect, but if it's working, I don't really care. Tomorrow is a real test, with my TOM being in full swing and me only going to work for this potluck thing.

I've been stretching my shoulder blades like I learned in yoga. I dunno if it's helping with mobility but it sure feels nice. Its basically the last part of this:

ezgif.com-resize%20(10).gif

Where she crosses her arms, without the balancing. No one in the room on Tuesday except the yoga instructor could fully wrap their forearms around each other like the woman in the gif. I'm better at it on my right side than my left, which makes sense given my complaints on Instagram the other day. I wonder how long it'd take to get to that point. Probably quite some time for me, lol.

• Like 9
8 hours ago, Cataleya said:

I've been stretching my shoulder blades like I learned in yoga. I dunno if it's helping with mobility but it sure feels nice. Its basically the last part of this:

Awesome on you for working on that one, it is literally my worst stretch ever!  I can't even get my arms to really cross my body. My GF always make fun of me >__<  

• Like 2

Half-Elf: Ranger/Assassin

Challenges: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6a] [6b] [7] [8] [8.5] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [ --> Battle Log]

Old Battle Logs [2017] New Battle Log 2018: Reforged

DragonForging My Life: Epic Quests [Google D] Epic Quests [NF]

Lifter Profile [Symmetric Strength] Racer Profile [Athlinks] Body Comp [G-Sheet] Running Stats [G-Sheet]

Today I splurged a little bit. By splurged, I mean no one really brought any healthy food to the potluck unfortunately and so I ended up having a serving size (3 cookies) of those two-bite cookies (they're so small, you eat them in two bites) that Whole Foods sells. That, two bananas, and some frozen mixed fruit did my sugar in. And carbs were a bit high thanks to the sugary stuff and some ham+crackers they had, which I had less than a serving of. Otherwise I am doing mostly okay? I think?

But just to review:

Spoiler

Wednesday

Calories
kcal
Carbs
g
Fat
g
Protein
g
Sodium
mg
Sugar
g
Totals 862 122 23 62 876 47  
Your Daily Goal 1,600 200 53 80 2,300 60  
Remaining 738 78 30 18 1,424 13  

Thursday

Calories
kcal
Carbs
g
Fat
g
Protein
g
Sodium
mg
Sugar
g
Totals 1,063 114 31 41 966 48  
Remaining 537 86 22 39 1,334 12  

Friday (today)

Calories
kcal
Carbs
g
Fat
g
Protein
g
Sodium
mg
Sugar
g
Totals 1,162 152 50 45 1,568 72  
Remaining 438 48 3 35 732 -12  

I am surprised at how okay I am with how few calories this is compared to my normal intake (~1600). I haven't been exercising because I wanted to take it easy while adjusting to this medication and make sure it didn't mess with my heart rate, as that's a possible side effect. It doesn't seem to affect it unless I'm walking up stairs or something, but that could also just be my body as it normally is, as I'm heavy and hate going up stairs for that reason. So I guess it's a good thing I am focusing more on weights this challenge and not doing cardio (just gonna informally make sure I get to 10k steps each day).

I am also probably going to end up forcing myself to eat more (or at least make more smoothies) to make sure I have enough in me to get through workouts. I tried to make a smoothie today but... eugh, it didn't turn out as good as I wanted. I used:

Great Value Frozen Mixed Fruit - Pineapple, Mango, Peaches, and Strawberries, 1 cup 
Almond Breeze - Unsweetened Vanilla, 1 cup
Great value - Chia seeds, 0.13 cup

And I think I just don't really like the mixed fruit. I drank it, but it's not worth having again. Might go back to the strawberry/banana mix, and then on workout days make sure I put a scoop of my protein mix in there as well. Would that be a good pre- or post-workout snack, or would it not be suited for either? *is n00b at that stuff*

I also need to find a good three day program. Might go back to Stronglifts 5x5, especially since there's an app which makes remembering things easier. Is there anything big that program is missing, in anyone's opinions? 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Would that be a good pre- or post-workout snack, or would it not be suited for either? *is n00b at that stuff*

I would recommend protein afterwards but it doesn't really matter that much. As long as your protein intake is high enough during the day, it doesn't really matter when you have it.

Some people argue that you need to have protein right after - but it doesn't matter that much unless you are hardcore body building.:)

• Like 3

Fallaces sunt rerum species et hominum spes fallunt.

6 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Great Value Frozen Mixed Fruit - Pineapple, Mango, Peaches, and Strawberries, 1 cup 

And I think I just don't really like the mixed fruit. I drank it, but it's not worth having again. Might go back to the strawberry/banana mix, and then on workout days make sure I put a scoop of my protein mix in there as well.

I've used that fruit mix before, I thought it was pretty good mixed with some almond butter. I don't like bananas though, so maybe that's why I like it haha. 

• Like 1

"You can have what you want, or you can have something better"

Character Page                Current Challenge    

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

PACT challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

To set an example for my patients and my family.

To no longer feel inferior or held back because of my weight.

To gain more confidence and be proud of my appearance.

Starting Weight: 290 lbs

Main Quest: Reach my Ideal Body Weight of 190 lbs

8 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I've used that fruit mix before, I thought it was pretty good mixed with some almond butter. I don't like bananas though, so maybe that's why I like it haha. 

I'm not a huge fan of pineapple but usually like it okay if it's mixed with other stuff. The rest of it is stuff I like so I'm a bit surprised I wasn't impressed with my shake.

• Like 1

The heart rate going up stairs could also in part be from the low calories. I know it's caused problems like that for me.

For the smoothie, maybe the ratio of fruit to almond milk is off? I usually have more fruit than liquid. But then I like my smoothies thick. You could also try picking the pineapples out, see if you like it better without them. 

I like smoothies post workout cause they give me a little boost of energy. And once you nail down a good recipe, it can make a nice reward for exercising.

• Like 2

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Hey, going to follow along if you don't mind, because you keep popping up other places I lurk and a lot of the stuff you're working on or writing about is familiar or interesting to me. I really hear you on the political stuff, and it's been making self-care difficult for me too. I think the way you're approaching things makes a lot of sense (good balance of exercise, stress management stuff, and eating well) as long as you make sure not to let calories go too low which will eventually backfire and tucker you out.

Also a high-five to you for managing to work on self-improvement goals while in grad school. Most people I know end up doing something more like, "finish PhD without dying, then launch recovery plan while somehow also working toward tenure." One of my friends who's teaching at UPitt had to have extensive dental work done (like $8,000 worth of crowns and other repairs) after he defended because his soda habit got so bad that he totally destroyed his teeth.

• Like 1

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!
On 2/9/2017 at 2:22 PM, Cataleya said:

Fire Emblem Heroes might be the thing I start checking when I wake up, instead of social media.

How is it? I haven't played it yet. 

On 2/10/2017 at 0:11 AM, Cataleya said:

Where she crosses her arms, without the balancing. No one in the room on Tuesday except the yoga instructor could fully wrap their forearms around each other like the woman in the gif. I'm better at it on my right side than my left, which makes sense given my complaints on Instagram the other day. I wonder how long it'd take to get to that point. Probably quite some time for me, lol.

So I can actually totally do the arm thing she's doing and I've always been able to do it even though I have stiff shoulders, so it might be more achievable than you think! On the other hand, I can't even come close to crossing my legs like that when I try to do this pose. So it could just have to do with body shape too. YOGA IS WEIRD. 

22 hours ago, Cataleya said:

I am also probably going to end up forcing myself to eat more (or at least make more smoothies) to make sure I have enough in me to get through workouts. I tried to make a smoothie today but... eugh, it didn't turn out as good as I wanted. I used:

And I think I just don't really like the mixed fruit. I drank it, but it's not worth having again. Might go back to the strawberry/banana mix, and then on workout days make sure I put a scoop of my protein mix in there as well. Would that be a good pre- or post-workout snack, or would it not be suited for either? *is n00b at that stuff*

Maybe this smoothie formula will help? I don't think you have to stick with this exactly, but it has some useful ideas! I also found this list recently, and the strawberry banana smoothie with milk instead of kefir was delicious. I had never tried putting walnuts in a smoothie before, but it seemed way more filling than smoothies usually are for me! 

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

xAidDL1.gif

• Like 4

"We can be heroes"

Level 13 Assassin | climbing | meditating | running | writing | bodyweight training | kickboxing | Backyard gym project

Current Challenge39 | 38 | 37 | 36 | 35 | 34 | 33 | 32 | 31 | 30 | 29 | 28 | 27 | 26 | 25 | 24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 1716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1