Jump to content

Recommended Posts

This will be my first challenge, so I want to be careful with overwhelming myself... but I find that I work better under pressure and if I find that I have to hold myself accountable to other people. So here's to kicking ass in the next 4 weeks! 

 

FOUR WEEK CHALLENGE: FEB 12 – MARCH 11

 

Diet

  • Drink one glass of water a day

  • NO SODA

  • Reduce sweets/carbs consumption by 50%

Fitness

  • 2 hour hike once a week

  • Strength training once a week

  • 30 minute gym exercise 3 times a week

Life

  • Wake up early. Must be out of bed by 7:00 AM

  • Whiten teeth with extra flossing and whitening toothpaste. (No more whitening strips!)

  • Study Spanish (via Duolingo) for 20 minutes a day whenever in the office.

  • Have a family meal once a week

  • Put away $15 every paycheck into London savings

Cosplay

 

 

So far I've been working up to this game plan, and have kept up with 2 gym workouts a week and one soda a week. I've already drastically reduced carbs/sugar from my normal diet and intend to continue that pattern. I'm horrible at waking up early, which will prove to be a challenge of its own but will be necessary to start the day on a better foot and accomplish everything I want. My biggest concerns at completing the goals I set for myself will be the London Savings and finishing Codex, because of my limited finances. This is why it's called a challenge... and I will do my best! 

  • Like 5

Stats:

 26 Yr. | 218 lbs. | Sz. 18

Class: Rebel | Level: 3

Intro | Daily Battle Log | 4-Week Challenge | Leveling Up

 

"It's so much easier to measure life in experience points." - Codex (The Guild)

 

Link to post

Welcome aboard!  Looking good! :D

 

Doing your best is all you can ask of yourself, and as long as you know that you gave it your all, then it's always a success :)  looking forward to seeing you do awesome!

  • Like 2

Fight your foes in the field, nor be burnt in your house.

 

 

Link to post

Hey there! That's a lot of goals you have there. :) I'm rooting that you will manage to do them all but don't be afraid to reassess if you find you did too much!

If it's your first time around I recommend you have a look at the pinned posts in the forums, and if you haven't already, the 4-Week Challenge FAQ. There is also a mini-challenge happening that you are welcome to take part in if you find it fits with your goals.

  • Like 3

Goblin | Level 7 | STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 3.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 2.5

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

Link to post

Uh that reminds me, that I really should continue working on my Star Wars cosplay. At the moment only the skirt is almost finished. It has to be finished for the Sci-Fi Day in September or I'll have to do a Firefly Cosplay again. :/

 

Good luck and best wishes for your challenge. That's really a lot of stuff you're planning.

  • Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

 I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Link to post
On 2/8/2017 at 11:08 AM, Dalish said:

Welcome aboard!  Looking good! :D

 

Doing your best is all you can ask of yourself, and as long as you know that you gave it your all, then it's always a success :)  looking forward to seeing you do awesome!

 

That's a mentality that I have had, but one of my biggest downfalls is that I'll become complacent and give up easily. Keeping the motivation up is one of my biggest weaknesses. 

  • Like 1

Stats:

 26 Yr. | 218 lbs. | Sz. 18

Class: Rebel | Level: 3

Intro | Daily Battle Log | 4-Week Challenge | Leveling Up

 

"It's so much easier to measure life in experience points." - Codex (The Guild)

 

Link to post
23 hours ago, Miw_Sher said:

Hey there! That's a lot of goals you have there. :) I'm rooting that you will manage to do them all but don't be afraid to reassess if you find you did too much!

If it's your first time around I recommend you have a look at the pinned posts in the forums, and if you haven't already, the 4-Week Challenge FAQ. There is also a mini-challenge happening that you are welcome to take part in if you find it fits with your goals.

 

It is, but I think they're easy enough goals. I'm better at multitasking than any one area, so this shouldn't be out of my reach. We'll definitely find out and if it proves more difficult than expected, then I can re-access for the next round. 

 

Thank you for the info! I'm going to look through there and see if there's some that I find applicable/enjoyable. 

  • Like 2

Stats:

 26 Yr. | 218 lbs. | Sz. 18

Class: Rebel | Level: 3

Intro | Daily Battle Log | 4-Week Challenge | Leveling Up

 

"It's so much easier to measure life in experience points." - Codex (The Guild)

 

Link to post
On 2/8/2017 at 11:18 AM, Arkham said:

Hey, I'm a cosplayer too! :3

I know it can be a struggle to finish cosplays on a budget, but you totally got this. And good luck with your Spanish, too! Spanish is a pretty easy language to pick up for the most part, so you'll do great. c:

 

I've had 4 years of Spanish in the past, but without people to practice with.. it's difficult to recollect on the spot. The Duolingo app that I was recently introduced to is a perfect refresher course so far. 

 

do you have a cosplay page somewhere? 

Stats:

 26 Yr. | 218 lbs. | Sz. 18

Class: Rebel | Level: 3

Intro | Daily Battle Log | 4-Week Challenge | Leveling Up

 

"It's so much easier to measure life in experience points." - Codex (The Guild)

 

Link to post
23 hours ago, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

Uh that reminds me, that I really should continue working on my Star Wars cosplay. At the moment only the skirt is almost finished. It has to be finished for the Sci-Fi Day in September or I'll have to do a Firefly Cosplay again. :/

 

Good luck and best wishes for your challenge. That's really a lot of stuff you're planning.

 

 

Do the thing! 

 

This year is focused on costumes that can be used for charity events (i.e. superheroes, princesses) but I do hope to complete a Star Wars outfit before the movie releases in December. 

Stats:

 26 Yr. | 218 lbs. | Sz. 18

Class: Rebel | Level: 3

Intro | Daily Battle Log | 4-Week Challenge | Leveling Up

 

"It's so much easier to measure life in experience points." - Codex (The Guild)

 

Link to post
6 minutes ago, LivingDeadGirl said:

 

I've had 4 years of Spanish in the past, but without people to practice with.. it's difficult to recollect on the spot. The Duolingo app that I was recently introduced to is a perfect refresher course so far. 

 

do you have a cosplay page somewhere? 

 

Oh, I totally get you. I took 4 years of Spanish in high school as well, but after I graduated I totally just fell off the wagon with that because no one in my family speaks Spanish. I feel bad at work when people try to speak Spanish to me because I can understand them perfectly, but replying to them is a struggle. I'll have to check out Duolingo because I've seen a few different users post about it.

 

And no, I don't yet. I haven't made one yet because I have no idea where to start with one. haha I'm really bad at keeping up with social media for the most part as well. Do you have one?

Current Challenge:

Arkham Origins

Link to post
2 minutes ago, Arkham said:

 

Oh, I totally get you. I took 4 years of Spanish in high school as well, but after I graduated I totally just fell off the wagon with that because no one in my family speaks Spanish. I feel bad at work when people try to speak Spanish to me because I can understand them perfectly, but replying to them is a struggle. I'll have to check out Duolingo because I've seen a few different users post about it.

 

And no, I don't yet. I haven't made one yet because I have no idea where to start with one. haha I'm really bad at keeping up with social media for the most part as well. Do you have one?

 

 

You and I have the same struggle when it comes to Spanish. A user on here introduced me to Duolingo and I've been using it for two weeks now - definitely recommended. There's also an app available so it's easily accessible.

 

Social media is a huge motivator for me. I have a facebook, instagram, tumblr, and twitter to update with my cosplay stuff. Previously it was mostly for promoting when cons I worked at, but now it's sporadic and a mix of whatever happens to be going on at the moment. Exposure is incredibly important for professionals that are wanting to book gigs, but I've stepped back a bit and instead focus more on using my costumes for charity. 

 

Each media is user friendly, and there's separate formats to help you find what suits you best. Facebook is text and photo friendly and accessible for a mass of cosplayers to connect and keep up with. Instagram is more recently trending with the cosplay crowd and more photo-centric. Tumblr is perfect if blogs, progress updates, tutorials, etc is your thing. Twitter is my least favorite and used minimally. You just gotta play around and use what suits you best. 

  • Like 2

Stats:

 26 Yr. | 218 lbs. | Sz. 18

Class: Rebel | Level: 3

Intro | Daily Battle Log | 4-Week Challenge | Leveling Up

 

"It's so much easier to measure life in experience points." - Codex (The Guild)

 

Link to post
6 minutes ago, LivingDeadGirl said:

 

You and I have the same struggle when it comes to Spanish. A user on here introduced me to Duolingo and I've been using it for two weeks now - definitely recommended. There's also an app available so it's easily accessible.

 

Social media is a huge motivator for me. I have a facebook, instagram, tumblr, and twitter to update with my cosplay stuff. Previously it was mostly for promoting when cons I worked at, but now it's sporadic and a mix of whatever happens to be going on at the moment. Exposure is incredibly important for professionals that are wanting to book gigs, but I've stepped back a bit and instead focus more on using my costumes for charity. 

 

Each media is user friendly, and there's separate formats to help you find what suits you best. Facebook is text and photo friendly and accessible for a mass of cosplayers to connect and keep up with. Instagram is more recently trending with the cosplay crowd and more photo-centric. Tumblr is perfect if blogs, progress updates, tutorials, etc is your thing. Twitter is my least favorite and used minimally. You just gotta play around and use what suits you best. 

 

I'll definitely have to check it out then! I just browsed through the site a bit and am disappointed there's no Japanese option there. I'm also trying to learn Japanese, but I keep stopping because it's such a struggle to learn an entirely new language on my own. My grandmother and my dad both speak Japanese, but my grandma lives too far away to have her teach me and my dad isn't super fluent, so I'm totally on my own with this one, and I haven't yet found a method that really works for me. haha

 

I use my costumes for charity too! The first con I ever went to, I was invited to join a local cosplay group that does strictly charity work. It was huge affirmation for me that I must be pretty good at my craft. lol I haven't done too much with them yet because of my work schedule, but one of the most moving things we've done so far was visit a shelter that helps abused women and children escape their abusers. I went as Elsa from Frozen, and oh my gosh, all the kids were just too cute. It's so fun to give back in that way because it leaves kids with memories that'll last forever.

 

I have accounts on all of those sites, but I hardly ever use them for personal things to begin with, so that's why I haven't made a cosplay page. I used to be super active on Tumblr with my personal blog, keeping it all tagged and themed, and then it just became a mess of bad memes and Pokemon ramblings as I lost motivation to keep things together. lol I'm also struggling to even come up with a name for my cosplay page, if I ever do make one. Seems like everything I come up with is taken. haha

  • Like 2

Current Challenge:

Arkham Origins

Link to post
1 hour ago, LivingDeadGirl said:

 

That's a mentality that I have had, but one of my biggest downfalls is that I'll become complacent and give up easily. Keeping the motivation up is one of my biggest weaknesses. 

 

I absolutely feel your pain on becoming complacent really easily.  It's been a big issue for me for most of my life.  I've found for me personally, the best way to combat it is asking myself "Would I accept this reason for not doing [thing] if someone else said it to me?".  Usually the answer is no, so I get up and do the thing.

  • Like 3

Fight your foes in the field, nor be burnt in your house.

 

 

Link to post
On 2/9/2017 at 0:38 PM, Dalish said:

 

I absolutely feel your pain on becoming complacent really easily.  It's been a big issue for me for most of my life.  I've found for me personally, the best way to combat it is asking myself "Would I accept this reason for not doing [thing] if someone else said it to me?".  Usually the answer is no, so I get up and do the thing.

 

I haven't thought of it that way, so I'll try to see it that way. What has kept pushing me so far is the guilt I feel when posting to this site, but also the fact that I can look at myself in the mirror and know that nothing is going to change if I don't change it. 

 

Too often I hear people complain that they are unhappy and will do nothing to fix it. I have no right to complain if I don't try to make it better. 

  • Like 2

Stats:

 26 Yr. | 218 lbs. | Sz. 18

Class: Rebel | Level: 3

Intro | Daily Battle Log | 4-Week Challenge | Leveling Up

 

"It's so much easier to measure life in experience points." - Codex (The Guild)

 

Link to post
On 2/9/2017 at 11:53 AM, Arkham said:

 

I'll definitely have to check it out then! I just browsed through the site a bit and am disappointed there's no Japanese option there. I'm also trying to learn Japanese, but I keep stopping because it's such a struggle to learn an entirely new language on my own. My grandmother and my dad both speak Japanese, but my grandma lives too far away to have her teach me and my dad isn't super fluent, so I'm totally on my own with this one, and I haven't yet found a method that really works for me. haha

 

I use my costumes for charity too! The first con I ever went to, I was invited to join a local cosplay group that does strictly charity work. It was huge affirmation for me that I must be pretty good at my craft. lol I haven't done too much with them yet because of my work schedule, but one of the most moving things we've done so far was visit a shelter that helps abused women and children escape their abusers. I went as Elsa from Frozen, and oh my gosh, all the kids were just too cute. It's so fun to give back in that way because it leaves kids with memories that'll last forever.

 

I have accounts on all of those sites, but I hardly ever use them for personal things to begin with, so that's why I haven't made a cosplay page. I used to be super active on Tumblr with my personal blog, keeping it all tagged and themed, and then it just became a mess of bad memes and Pokemon ramblings as I lost motivation to keep things together. lol I'm also struggling to even come up with a name for my cosplay page, if I ever do make one. Seems like everything I come up with is taken. haha

 

Japanese is probably the second language I want to learn after Spanish, although it would be more difficult in that there's less people to practice with and that there's little motivation for doing so. It would be more for personal funsies than for bolstering my resume. 

 

Coming up with a cosplay name is way harder than you'd think it is. I've gone through several over the years, and settled on my current one because it's a play of words on my name. Miss Demi Noir, pronounced misdemeanor. I doubt anyone gets it at first, but it's amusing to me. 

  • Like 2

Stats:

 26 Yr. | 218 lbs. | Sz. 18

Class: Rebel | Level: 3

Intro | Daily Battle Log | 4-Week Challenge | Leveling Up

 

"It's so much easier to measure life in experience points." - Codex (The Guild)

 

Link to post

Week One | Day One 

 

Diet | More Water No Soda ✓ Reduce sweets/carbs ✓

 

Fitness | 2 Hour Hike ✓ 

 

Life | Wake Up Early X Whiten Teeth ✓ 

 

Cosplay | Bishop Progress Codex progress ✓ Instagram ✓ 

  • Like 1

Stats:

 26 Yr. | 218 lbs. | Sz. 18

Class: Rebel | Level: 3

Intro | Daily Battle Log | 4-Week Challenge | Leveling Up

 

"It's so much easier to measure life in experience points." - Codex (The Guild)

 

Link to post
1 hour ago, LivingDeadGirl said:

 

Japanese is probably the second language I want to learn after Spanish, although it would be more difficult in that there's less people to practice with and that there's little motivation for doing so. It would be more for personal funsies than for bolstering my resume. 

 

Coming up with a cosplay name is way harder than you'd think it is. I've gone through several over the years, and settled on my current one because it's a play of words on my name. Miss Demi Noir, pronounced misdemeanor. I doubt anyone gets it at first, but it's amusing to me. 

 

Your name is clever! I wouldn't have caught on just by reading it, but I bet if I said it out loud, it would click. That's cute. I've been trying to think of one that's also a play on words, but I'm not super creative when it comes to words. I was gonna go with "Rey of Sunshine" because I'm primarily a Rey cosplayer, but lo and behold, someone else already has that. lmao I thought I was in the clear with that one too. So, we'll see what happens. Maybe I'll make it a goal for myself in the next challenege to create my cosplay page.

 

Also, great job on your first challenge day. Seems like you completed everything you wanted to, so that's awesome! How was your hike?

Current Challenge:

Arkham Origins

Link to post
48 minutes ago, Arkham said:

 

Your name is clever! I wouldn't have caught on just by reading it, but I bet if I said it out loud, it would click. That's cute. I've been trying to think of one that's also a play on words, but I'm not super creative when it comes to words. I was gonna go with "Rey of Sunshine" because I'm primarily a Rey cosplayer, but lo and behold, someone else already has that. lmao I thought I was in the clear with that one too. So, we'll see what happens. Maybe I'll make it a goal for myself in the next challenege to create my cosplay page.

 

Also, great job on your first challenge day. Seems like you completed everything you wanted to, so that's awesome! How was your hike?

 

When I had a photography studio, my name was Shades of Gray (my last name is Gray) but then a certain book/movie series came along and ruined that for me. Dx 

 

My hike was ok. I accomplished what I set out to do, though I was emotionally drained after an exhausting week. I'm proud that I followed through when it was all too easy to stay curled up in bed. 

  • Like 1

Stats:

 26 Yr. | 218 lbs. | Sz. 18

Class: Rebel | Level: 3

Intro | Daily Battle Log | 4-Week Challenge | Leveling Up

 

"It's so much easier to measure life in experience points." - Codex (The Guild)

 

Link to post

FOUR WEEK CHALLENGE: Week One

 

 

 

Diet

 

  • Drink one glass of water a day 

     

  • NO SODA 

     

  • Reduce sweets/carbs consumption by 50% 

     

Fitness

 

  • 2 hour hike once a week   

     

  • Strength training once a week X

     

  • 30 minute gym exercise 3 times a week 

     

Life

 

  • Wake up early. Must be out of bed by 7:00 AM X

     

  • Whiten teeth with extra flossing and whitening toothpaste. (No more whitening strips!) 

     

  • Study Spanish (via Duolingo) for 20 minutes a day whenever in the office. 

     

  • Have a family meal once a week X

     

  • Put away $15 every paycheck into London savings NA

Cosplay

 

  • Finish Kate Bishop
  • Finish Codex
  • Attend one DCM League Event

  • Update instagram once a day! 




    For one week, I did pretty well. Strength training didn't happen, but it was more timing than anything. It was shoved out of the way for Valentine's Day, then the next day was dealing with a resident's passing away and uncle passing away... so life happens. I haven't met my goal of waking up at 7:00AM, but I've been getting up earlier... from my normal 7:20 to 7:10. Family meal hasn't happened because of tangled schedules, though I have managed dinner with both the boyfriend and roommate separately. No savings yet since I haven't been paid. 

    My cosplay work is falling behind, mostly because my weekends are now split between cosplay, personal errands, housekeeping, and hiking. I'll be lucky to even have one done, much less both. I'm scheduled to attend the DCM event for the movie premiere of Logan, which is March 3, I think? Instagram is on point. 


    Here's to week two! 
  • Like 2

Stats:

 26 Yr. | 218 lbs. | Sz. 18

Class: Rebel | Level: 3

Intro | Daily Battle Log | 4-Week Challenge | Leveling Up

 

"It's so much easier to measure life in experience points." - Codex (The Guild)

 

Link to post
On 2/21/2017 at 9:37 AM, LivingDeadGirl said:


For one week, I did pretty well. Strength training didn't happen, but it was more timing than anything. It was shoved out of the way for Valentine's Day, then the next day was dealing with a resident's passing away and uncle passing away... so life happens. I haven't met my goal of waking up at 7:00AM, but I've been getting up earlier... from my normal 7:20 to 7:10. Family meal hasn't happened because of tangled schedules, though I have managed dinner with both the boyfriend and roommate separately. No savings yet since I haven't been paid. 

My cosplay work is falling behind, mostly because my weekends are now split between cosplay, personal errands, housekeeping, and hiking. I'll be lucky to even have one done, much less both. I'm scheduled to attend the DCM event for the movie premiere of Logan, which is March 3, I think? Instagram is on point. 


Here's to week two! 

 

I'm really sorry to hear of your losses. :( I hope you are hanging in there and you have support from those around you. 

 

You seem to be doing really well regardless of everything that has been going on. Be patient with yourself and be proud of any and all small changes that you are making. Those are the ones that stick. Looking forward to more updates! :) You've got this! 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post

FOUR WEEK CHALLENGE: Week Two

 

 

 

Diet

 

  • Drink one glass of water a day  

     

  • NO SODA  

     

  • Reduce sweets/carbs consumption by 50%  

     

Fitness

 

  • 2 hour hike once a week  X  

     

  • Strength training once a week X

     

  • 30 minute gym exercise 3 times a week  X

     

Life

 

  • Wake up early. Must be out of bed by 7:00 AM X

     

  • Whiten teeth with extra flossing and whitening toothpaste. (No more whitening strips!) 

     

  • Study Spanish (via Duolingo) for 20 minutes a day whenever in the office. X

     

  • Have a family meal once a week

     

  • Put away $15 every paycheck into London savings X

Cosplay

 

  • Finish Kate Bishop
  • Finish Codex
  • Attend one DCM League Event

  • Update instagram once a day! 


    There's more details in my daily challenge thread, but this week kicked my ass. Hit the gym Tuesday, pulled a muscle in my back Wednesday, started shark week on Thursday, drowned myself in comfort and pizza, and spent about 50 hours in bed to recoup from muscle pain. FML. Being out of the office kept me from fulfilling my Spanish goals and waking up early goals... but on the days that I have actually gotten out of bed, I have hit a 7:05 AM mark. Doing better there. Also because work is out to ruin my life (hahakiddingbutnotreally) they messed up our paychecks and shorted everyone on our commissions. Not only do I not have money to set away into savings, but I don't even have money to cover my phone bill. After my rent, car payment, and groceries are bought... I'll be negative in my account. ._.;  Trying to be positive, the boyfriend landed his final job interview and is now officially hired by Verizon Wireless. They have to finish processing his hire and should start this week or next. In the mean time, he's hitting up his family to see if they will send him money. It's embarrassing, but kind of vital at this moment. There's no money to cover his phone bill payment, or gas, or any unexpected expenses should they hit. Being an adult is rough.


    On another positive note, I'm on schedule to complete Kate Bishop. I'll be working 2 DCM League events, one this weekend and another next weekend. I'll be working a movie release of Logan as well as appearing as a guest cosplay judge at a mini con. In addition to these appearances, I was promoted to Admin and tasked with two amazing projects that give me something inspiring and fulfilling to do. Between now and September, I'll be producing a Comic Book Hero themed calendar for Cancer Awareness. It will feature various cosplayers in the local community, some of which are cancer survivors. A portion of the sales will go to cancer awareness, and my goal is to raise a minimum of $500. The second project will be teaching acting classes to our cosplayers that visit and interact with hospitals and schools. 

    I keep telling myself that things may be rough right now, but they are going to get better. 
  • Like 1

Stats:

 26 Yr. | 218 lbs. | Sz. 18

Class: Rebel | Level: 3

Intro | Daily Battle Log | 4-Week Challenge | Leveling Up

 

"It's so much easier to measure life in experience points." - Codex (The Guild)

 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines