Obstacle Racers, Assemble! [CLOSED]

On 8/28/2017 at 5:35 PM, NeverThatBored said:

Hey all, I've got a shoe question for you. I currently have a pair of Reebok OCR shoes that slice into the arches of my feet after a few miles, so I've got to trash them. I'd like to replace them with a pair of Inov-8s instead, so I'm trying to decide which kind to get. Right now I'm torn between a pair of X-Claws and a pair of Roclites. The X-Claws are clearly better designed for OCRs, but I've tried on Roclites that were comfortable and also I can get a pair of them for about half the price. And they do have some grip, so I think they might still be ok for races?

What do you think? Spring for the X-Claws or go with the Roclites?

It depends on the amount of mud you have to deal with really! I've got both Roclites and X-Claws, the grip on the Roclites is good but it doesn't compare to the X-Claws. I've worn the Roclites to a really muddy OCR and I was slipping a lot more than I would expect. Both are really comfortable with nice wide toe boxes so your toes don't feel squished.

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

4 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

It depends on the amount of mud you have to deal with really! I've got both Roclites and X-Claws, the grip on the Roclites is good but it doesn't compare to the X-Claws. I've worn the Roclites to a really muddy OCR and I was slipping a lot more than I would expect. Both are really comfortable with nice wide toe boxes so your toes don't feel squished.

Yeah, that's the impression I'm getting. If you say you were actually slipping in the Roclites, I may just spring for the X-Claws. 

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

On 8/28/2017 at 6:13 PM, Wolfen said:

Went on a hike with the little ones yesterday. Arabella (5), who has sensory processing disorder, carried rocks and small logs, climbed over fallen trees, and crawled and rolled through sand. She says she wants to do the Spartan race with Daddy next year. Gracelynn (6), who gets tired quickly and struggles with things like balance, kept wanting to run ahead and be the leader, but she made it to the top of the mountain and back down and would also stop to spot bright colored leaves or watch for small critters or birds. Think I might be training the next generation of ocr racers? :P

This is great! A lot of races have a kids version now. What better way to make sure OCR keeps going for years to come!

I went to an OCR training centre at the weekend and there were so many kids there doing some amazing things. A boy of about 6 was doing the hang tough rings, he would get to the end, turn around and go back the other way! Another girl did the full length of the monkey bars and ended the set by doing her first ever flying monkey. All the kids put all us big kids to shame!

• Like 4

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 

53 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

All the kids put all us big kids to shame!

Absolutely! It's amazing what we unlearn as we grow. I watch my daughter drop into a deep squat like it's nothing and stay there for a while comfortably, and I can barely hold it for 30 seconds.

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Wakes the White Wolf

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBorn

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

6 hours ago, Wolfen said:

Absolutely! It's amazing what we unlearn as we grow. I watch my daughter drop into a deep squat like it's nothing and stay there for a while comfortably, and I can barely hold it for 30 seconds.

Children squatting never ceases to amaze me. That mobility! 

• Like 1

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

On 28/05/2017 at 4:36 PM, Charlie_Quinn said:

Rat Race Dirty Weekend 2018! Who's In?

dirtyweekend.jpg

Tagging @jonfirestar, @EricMN, @mr_willes, @Rhovaniel @DarK_RaideR as you've all shown an interest in this, but this is obviously open to anyone who wants to join in the fun of Rat Race Dirty Weekend in 2018.

I did this race this year and it really is phenomenal. It's not the biggest OCR's in Europe, it's also a big weekend festival with a massive afterparty. I'd recommend camping for the full experience, but there are hotels nearby.

I know a lot of people will think "20 miles? No thank you" but I promise this event is completely achievable for anyone who has some running experience. (I would recommend running at least 10-13 miles in training to make sure you are comfortable with longer distances, but I run alongside 2 ladies this year that had only done 10-15k runs previously and they both completed it). It is long and tiring, but there are no cut off times so we will be going at a leisurely pace. Expect to be on course for 6-8 hours (there are very well stocked food and water stops on course). There is also a half option available (13 miles), but it's the same price as the full, and anyone running the Full Mucker can drop out at the half way mark if they don't want to continue.

I have signed up with my husband for WAVE 10 (10:30am) so if anyone wants to join us, make sure to sign up for that wave as they are very very strict on wave times. 

I'm hoping we can make this an epic Nerd Fitness team event in 2018!

Hey ive just found this thread im very interested in doing this next year.

Ive been looking for a big fitness goal to work towards thats also a bit away and have for a long time wanted to do a tough mudder ocr type thing.

Plus its only half an hour away from where i live and its around my birthday also.

However i have real concerns about my current fitness level which is pretty unfit vs how fit id need to be to complete the half course and if id have to time to reach a reasonable fitness level to complete the half course?

Obv id like to run with other NF members if possible but im concerned about the amount of free spaces on the same wave as other people i know wave 10 is full already is everyone else on wave 6? As im still not sure when i will have the cash to sign up as im currently not working.

• Like 2

Challenge 1 2

Kill a man, and you are an assassin. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill everyone, and you are a god - Beilby Porteus
MY NF CHARACTER

Ghostlet has been begging me to let him run the Kids Spartan.  I didn't get him signed up in time for this year, but we are doing it next year for sure!

• Like 3
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

12 hours ago, lovefish01 said:

Hey ive just found this thread im very interested in doing this next year.

Ive been looking for a big fitness goal to work towards thats also a bit away and have for a long time wanted to do a tough mudder ocr type thing.

Plus its only half an hour away from where i live and its around my birthday also.

However i have real concerns about my current fitness level which is pretty unfit vs how fit id need to be to complete the half course and if id have to time to reach a reasonable fitness level to complete the half course?

Obv id like to run with other NF members if possible but im concerned about the amount of free spaces on the same wave as other people i know wave 10 is full already is everyone else on wave 6? As im still not sure when i will have the cash to sign up as im currently not working.

Welcome lovefish!

I'd definitely recommend doing a shorter OCR first to see if it's something you would like. The last thing you want is to get 2 miles into a 13/20 mile OCR and find that you aren't enjoying it (I can't believe such a thing would happen, but I'm sure it does!). If you are in the Northampton area, have a look at Uventure Run (formerly Iron Run) in Kettering. They do a 6k and 12k distance and are a great for first timers. Their giant slide is so much fun!

As for Dirty Weekend; yes, wave 10 is full - it sold out far quicker than anticipated. @mr_willes is in wave 6 and I think @Jarric has signed up for wave 11(?) and plans to catch us up :D. As we get closer to the event, people will start to defer their place till the following year so spaces may open up in Wave 10 and you may be able to ask Rat Race if you can move waves (they may charge for this). 

• Like 2

2020 Races: 

8 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Welcome lovefish!

I'd definitely recommend doing a shorter OCR first to see if it's something you would like. The last thing you want is to get 2 miles into a 13/20 mile OCR and find that you aren't enjoying it (I can't believe such a thing would happen, but I'm sure it does!). If you are in the Northampton area, have a look at Uventure Run (formerly Iron Run) in Kettering. They do a 6k and 12k distance and are a great for first timers. Their giant slide is so much fun!

As for Dirty Weekend; yes, wave 10 is full - it sold out far quicker than anticipated. @mr_willes is in wave 6 and I think @Jarric has signed up for wave 11(?) and plans to catch us up :D. As we get closer to the event, people will start to defer their place till the following year so spaces may open up in Wave 10 and you may be able to ask Rat Race if you can move waves (they may charge for this). 

@Jarric signed up? I missed that (i'm really bad at foruming these last few weeks). But very good to hear.

Hopefully some more people will show up in this thread who want to run it. Maybe it's easier to form groups and all enter the same time so you can be in a wave together.

But definitely take CQ's advice (in general is a good thing to start with but) especially in this case. Try it out before you are gonna the MOA-OCR's!

• Like 2

... a little odd in the head ...

1 hour ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I think @Jarric has signed up for wave 11(?) and plans to catch us up :D

Yep, wave 11. Just need to make sure I'm fast enough by then to actually catch you all now!

1 hour ago, mr_willes said:

@Jarric signed up? I missed that (i'm really bad at foruming these last few weeks). But very good to hear.

Indeed I did, and thanks mate :) 

Level 16 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 7  -  CON: 1  -  CHA: 2  -  SAN: 2  -  INT: 2

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Honour amongst thieves

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map

On 31/08/2017 at 10:30 AM, Charlie_Quinn said:

Welcome lovefish!

Yes i was thinking that actually. Maybe to long a course for a first. I was thinking a 5k OCR might be the best place to start :) ill look into the Uventure Run as a starting point to aim for. I was also thinking its a shame ive missed the local 5k races round here. They do three straight 5k races one in Corby, one in Kettering and one in Northampton. They also would have been great to start out with this year.

Any guys out there planning taking part in newbie OCR challenges local to me? Ideally later in the year or next year?

I may come along to the Rat Race to see what its all about and if not 2018 then 2019 ill be on it :D  But the one i really really want to do is the Spartan Race......lots of training required yet!

• Like 3

Challenge 1 2

Kill a man, and you are an assassin. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill everyone, and you are a god - Beilby Porteus
MY NF CHARACTER

19 hours ago, lovefish01 said:

But the one i really really want to do is the Spartan Race.

My first OCR (and only so far...) was a Spartan Sprint.  That was all it took to get me hooked

• Like 2

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

My first OCR (and only so far...) was a Spartan Sprint.  That was all it took to get me hooked

I know the Spartan sprint looks awesome. I love the idea of the Spartan Races and the ethos of Joe De Sena. It seems to be more of the real deal to me vs other OCR providers. I concentrate on getting fitter and see if i cant get some money in the bank first so i can afford to do a few :)

Challenge 1 2

MY NF CHARACTER

3 hours ago, lovefish01 said:

I know the Spartan sprint looks awesome. I love the idea of the Spartan Races and the ethos of Joe De Sena. It seems to be more of the real deal to me vs other OCR providers. I concentrate on getting fitter and see if i cant get some money in the bank first so i can afford to do a few :)

For a lot of races (including Spartans) you can sign up to volunteer and get a free race in exchange! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

For a lot of races (including Spartans) you can sign up to volunteer and get a free race in exchange! 

Well i didnt know that! i will definitely look into volunteering ill get to know the deal and get myself a free race in one fell swoop. Cheers NeverThatBored ;)

• Like 2

Challenge 1 2

MY NF CHARACTER

On 9/1/2017 at 8:38 PM, lovefish01 said:

Any guys out there planning taking part in newbie OCR challenges local to me? Ideally later in the year or next year?

The only race I've got planned in your area next year (other than Dirty Weekend) is The Suffering race, but I'm doing the 10mile Pain & Suffering so not really beginner level. But Suffering do have a 5km option, they've got races this month and then June 2018. It's coming to the end of the season now and racing in winter is not so much fun. This is a list of races around the UK that is constantly updated so keep an eye on this and you're bound to find something that nearby in spring 2018.

16 hours ago, lovefish01 said:

Well i didnt know that! i will definitely look into volunteering ill get to know the deal and get myself a free race in one fell swoop.

Some will even let you marshal on the Saturday and then run for free on the Sunday (if they have multiple days).

• Like 1

2020 Races: 

12 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

The only race I've got planned in your area next year (other than Dirty Weekend) is The Suffering race, but I'm doing the 10mile Pain & Suffering so not really beginner level. But Suffering do have a 5km option, they've got races this month and then June 2018. It's coming to the end of the season now and racing in winter is not so much fun. This is a list of races around the UK that is constantly updated so keep an eye on this and you're bound to find something that nearby in spring 2018.

Thanks for the list fella. Ah ok ill look in the 5k Suffering and the Uventure runs then and keep an eye out for more 5k type races next year. Although ive decided im not going to go mad and over do it which is probs for the best as my fitness levels at the mo ;) So i might leave out OCRs till next year or just do a few straight 5k runs first to easy myself in. But an OCR is 100% in the pipe line in the next 12 months!!

• Like 1

Challenge 1 2

MY NF CHARACTER

A while ago @EricMN (I think?) recommended a pair of gloves similar to this:

Image result for Fittergear gloves

I bought a pair* last week and tried them out this morning.  They are like magic!  I was able to grip onto the bar way better than normal, much better than my normal gloves.  The only downside was trying to do eccentric muscle ups I couldn't get my hands to move around the bar because the grip was too good.  For anyone who needs a little extra boost for their grip, this may be a good thing to look at.

* the ones I bought say they are Fittergear but I paid about $3.20 for them so they are probably knockoffs...  Even so, they worked great.

• Like 5

Level 2 Ninja

33 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I bought a pair* last week and tried them out this morning.  They are like magic!  I was able to grip onto the bar way better than normal, much better than my normal gloves.  The only downside was trying to do eccentric muscle ups I couldn't get my hands to move around the bar because the grip was too good.  For anyone who needs a little extra boost for their grip, this may be a good thing to look at.

* the ones I bought say they are Fittergear but I paid about $3.20 for them so they are probably knockoffs...  Even so, they worked great.

I've never seen these before. They look great for those long training sessions that leave your palms torn to shreds!  Thanks WG!

• Like 1

2020 Races: 

On 9/4/2017 at 11:49 PM, lovefish01 said:

Ah ok ill look in the 5k Suffering

Don't bother, I just got an email saying they've gone into liquidation. One week after I signed up! Thank god the race entry was only £30 as I'm not getting that back! :angry:

So many races have folded in the last year in the UK - at least 4 that I know of have gone under. I hope this isn't the death of OCR in the UK. :( 

• Sad 2

2020 Races: 

1 hour ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Don't bother, I just got an email saying they've gone into liquidation. One week after I signed up! Thank god the race entry was only £30 as I'm not getting that back! :angry:

Oooh, that hurts.

I doubt OCRs will disappear, but the market does seem to be a bit oversaturated. Maybe sone of them that are shutting down there will come over here. The only ones we have so far are Spartan and Tough Mudder, but even then they only ran a combined 4 races over the course of this year.

• Like 2

Level 2 Ninja

On 9/5/2017 at 3:28 AM, WhiteGhost said:

It's exactly those. Mine are the originals from Fit Four. They're still only about $24, I think. They work great when I need a little more grip - like rope pulls and hoists - but I don't wear them on obstacles because they don't help and the couple times I trained with them, I got blisters in weird places that the gloves didn't cover. They make a model with a full palm cover and a wrist wrap and I may or may not look into those. Mostly I just build up the calluses and hope for the best.

• Like 1

Rebel Scum - Current Challenge - Battle Log - Epic Quest

59 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Oooh, that hurts.

I doubt OCRs will disappear, but the market does seem to be a bit oversaturated. Maybe sone of them that are shutting down there will come over here. The only ones we have so far are Spartan and Tough Mudder, but even then they only ran a combined 4 races over the course of this year.

I think I'm more pissed that they were taking people's money right up until 3 days ago when they closed the registration site. They must have known they were having issues before this and yet kept registration open. I only lost £30, it's the people who signed up for weekend passes at £99+ that I feel really sorry for.

Oversaturation is absolutely an issue over here. This last weekend there were at least 4 big races running (Nuts, Spartan, Man vs Mountain and Wolf Run) which must have seriously affected sign up numbers in all races. OCR grew so big so suddenly that this was bound to happen eventually. It's sad though, as the smaller events are always the best. I just hope that in a few years we're left with a few more options than just Tough Mudder and Spartan!

• Like 2

2020 Races: 

7 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

So many races have folded in the last year in the UK - at least 4 that I know of have gone under. I hope this isn't the death of OCR in the UK. :( 

Oh dear :( sorry to hear the bad news. Yes thank god it was only £30 you lost.

Why have OCR races started falling through? I though OCR was going from strength to strength all over the world. I can only imagine the races that have fell through were badly organised and not advertised enough? Or like you say above to many races on the same weekends rather than spacing them out over weekends and different parts of the country. Like music festivals they're everywhere and you can only afford to go to so many a year.

Challenge 1 2

MY NF CHARACTER

Crashing the party here. Anyone interested in doing the Terrain Race in DC on the 23rd? I moved out of the area and can't make it back and there are no convenient races for me to switch to. I'm happy to transfer my registration. (Or does anyone have tips for selling a registration on Craigslist?)

This year was not my year for OCRs. With any luck I'll make it to one in November though.

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi