Obstacle Racers, Assemble! [CLOSED]

10 minutes ago, fleaball said:

Crashing the party here. Anyone interested in doing the Terrain Race in DC on the 23rd? I moved out of the area and can't make it back and there are no convenient races for me to switch to. I'm happy to transfer my registration. (Or does anyone have tips for selling a registration on Craigslist?)

This year was not my year for OCRs. With any luck I'll make it to one in November though.

Doh! I forgot you could ask here! What about @Talos or @Ryuu1011?

• Like 1
16 hours ago, lovefish01 said:

Oh dear :( sorry to hear the bad news. Yes thank god it was only £30 you lost.

Why have OCR races started falling through? I though OCR was going from strength to strength all over the world. I can only imagine the races that have fell through were badly organised and not advertised enough? Or like you say above to many races on the same weekends rather than spacing them out over weekends and different parts of the country. Like music festivals they're everywhere and you can only afford to go to so many a year.

OCR hasn't been around for very long, but it grew really fast and the market became oversaturated. One of the issues race directors have is low retention rates; many people will do an OCR to tick it off the list of things to say they've done and then never do another one. The percentage of first-timers and charity runners at most races is high, but if RDs can't keep those people coming back again they are going to have problems.

The UK market has been struggling this year and I think more races will go under next year, particularly travelling races that have the added cost of transport, land hire and build costs but hopefully some of the big independent races like Nuclear, Nuts and Rat Race will keep going. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

4 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

OCR hasn't been around for very long, but it grew really fast and the market became oversaturated. One of the issues race directors have is low retention rates; many people will do an OCR to tick it off the list of things to say they've done and then never do another one. The percentage of first-timers and charity runners at most races is high, but if RDs can't keep those people coming back again they are going to have problems.

The UK market has been struggling this year and I think more races will go under next year, particularly travelling races that have the added cost of transport, land hire and build costs but hopefully some of the big independent races like Nuclear, Nuts and Rat Race will keep going. 

Did you write / read this article

8 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I never thought of it like that. Yes its mainly people that just want a cool picture for their Facebook account and never do another race again. Another discourager i hear from people a lot is that the prices are really high particularly lately now im talking about signing upto something. Now i consider the prices fair, particularly considering the costs you've stated above but your average Joe doesn't realise that.

Yes agreed OCR is very new sport so it may have many more twists and turns to its development yet! Looks like it will have to keep evolving to keep growing.

I personally can see the big established race companies will stick around and the odd smaller established ones here and there in a few years time and OCRs will basically be for the die hards rather than the one time facebookers.

Challenge 1 2

Kill a man, and you are an assassin. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill everyone, and you are a god - Beilby Porteus
MY NF CHARACTER

16 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Did you write / read this article

I did read that. If anyone knows what they're talking about on this it's Doug, seeing as he was an RD himself and had to close his races this year. He's is spot on with what he wrote about people needing to train, at least a little bit, before trying an OCR. Of course anyone can do an OCR if they have a basic level of fitness, but training a little will make you enjoy it so much more. My first OCR was back in 2012 and I was very out of shape. I struggled so much that I actually said never again when I got to the finish line. When I did finally get the courage to try again I made sure I trained first, had an amazing time and got bitten by the OCR bug properly and have never looked back!

12 hours ago, lovefish01 said:

Another discourager i hear from people a lot is that the prices are really high particularly lately now im talking about signing upto something. Now i consider the prices fair, particularly considering the costs you've stated above but your average Joe doesn't realise that.

£30 is probably the cheapest price I've ever seen for an OCR. Most races I sign up for are between £45-65. The big races are always more, I want to do a Spartan next year but the prices keep putting me off.

• Like 2

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 

£30 is probably the cheapest price I've ever seen for an OCR. Most races I sign up for are between £45-65. The big races are always more, I want to do a Spartan next year but the prices keep putting me off.

Yes £30 is very very cheap maybe to cheap!

It was more of a general comment about what my friends say about the prices. Most of them look up the big races see they're £200 and think thats the price for all of them.

Yes id love to do a Spartan Race at least once in my life. For me they seem to be the most consistent and least gimmicky of the OCR races out there, plus who doesnt love doing a million burpees in one day haha 

Challenge 1 2

Kill a man, and you are an assassin. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill everyone, and you are a god - Beilby Porteus
MY NF CHARACTER

Ghostlet asked me to check again to see if any spots had opened up for the Kids Spartan, and sure enough there were.  We are on deck to run that a week from tomorrow.  

I don't know what kind of obstacles he will have to face, but given that the race is open to 5 year olds, I don't imagine they will be all that hard.

• Like 8
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

I'm sure @EricMN has already seen this, but sharing anyway so the rest of us can get extremely jealous 

• Like 3

2020 Races: 

1 hour ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I'm sure @EricMN has already seen this, but sharing anyway so the rest of us can get extremely jealous 

It's so beautiful! :love-struck:

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

3 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I actually donated to Make a Wish of Canada in order to get an early-bird look. Those gold medals are spectacular; mine will be a different finish, but it's going to keep me moving forward.

• Like 1

Rebel Scum - Current Challenge - Battle Log - Epic Quest

On ‎04‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:49 PM, lovefish01 said:

Thanks for the list fella. Ah ok ill look in the 5k Suffering and the Uventure runs then and keep an eye out for more 5k type races next year. Although ive decided im not going to go mad and over do it which is probs for the best as my fitness levels at the mo ;) So i might leave out OCRs till next year or just do a few straight 5k runs first to easy myself in. But an OCR is 100% in the pipe line in the next 12 months!!

Really late on this, but if you're looking for just straight 5k runs it'd be worth looking into Parkrun. They're every Saturday all over the country, they're timed 5k runs and they're free to enter. It's a nice way to get some running training as part of an event and get an "official" 5k time.

• Like 3

Level 16 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 8  -  CON: 4  -  CHA: 3  -  SAN: 2  -  INT: 3

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Race season 4-week challenge

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map

21 hours ago, Jarric said:

Really late on this, but if you're looking for just straight 5k runs it'd be worth looking into Parkrun. They're every Saturday all over the country, they're timed 5k runs and they're free to enter. It's a nice way to get some running training as part of an event and get an "official" 5k time.

Thanks for the info Jarric :)  Theres actually a weekly Parkrun very close to me! s. Ive aiming at the coming spring to take part in my first 5k event. My local Parkrun would be ideal! So that gives me six months to get upto running speed :D 

• Like 2

Challenge 1 2

MY NF CHARACTER

Beijing Kids Spartan was today, Ghostlet is now officially on his way to becoming an OCR addict :D   I put a summary and some pics over on my thread.

• Like 3

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

My son (7) and me both did the Dakar Challenge, a local OCR.

He started at 10:20 and did 5K

I started at 10:40 and did 9K

Next year i'm gonna join him (and my wife and my daughter) on the 5K.

Here are a couple of (spoilered) pics.

Spoiler

MY SONS 5K

5Ujr8All.jpg

A9ZRwV5l.jpg

8ztnRLGl.jpg

nRLCxPpl.jpg

fTfSzyrl.jpg

My son on the right!

MY 9K

oczRLs1l.jpg

Overview of the parcours

KOD1Tl5l.jpg

One of the first obstacles

tyye8b4l.jpg

Weighted carry, bags were really light, or is that because we trained so much with sandbags at CF last few weeks...

dRGprlml.jpg

Cargo net was pretty high, went pretty good, i'm not that fan of heights, just take it slow at the top.

DSKdVtTl.jpg

These were pretty easy, next was a single rope, i was the one of the few who in our group who made it till the end.

First solid pic of me :D 

3HVNWDTl.jpg

Swim climb aboard, and jump. The water was cold, but even a diver told me it was about 16 degrees, sheesh i hate cold water!

J4KJMBgl.jpg

Waiting to climb 4 roped walls.

CH42pHhl.jpg

Action shot!

brNGbFMl.jpg

Right after the 4 walls there were a couple of trenches, they were pretty easy, as it's all yellow sand, and not the dirty black sand which you normally get.

A8hDfTbl.jpg

You can see me in the upper left corner, i wanted the biggest wheel tire had, it was quite the distance, but this is one of my fav things to do.

C66fmgkl.jpg

There was no given amount you had to do. Most took one in each hand, i did 2. It was pretty easy, especially with the FW i do during my workouts.

aYcbqXTl.jpg

FML, this was a bitch, you had to take your kayak till the buoy and back. I was about 10m in when i tipped, so i got back in and I did the same distance as the rest only i never was far away, my boat kept turning around, and not doing what i want. Someone yelled across the water: "I see the Vikings don't kayak!". I smiled and yelled something along the line of "F#cking cunt kayak". In the end all i did was try to get to shore safely. Didn't want to be in deep water and having my kayak tipped over there.

Co8rflFl.jpg

This was pretty hard. All you had to do was climb the rope and get over the top. But i just couldn't make the transition at the top. The rope was all wet which didn't help. Also we ran the parcour wrong, so we just had some heavy arm obstacles. We should have done this after rowing the kayak (hence the wet ropes ;) ).

LOPwsRUl.jpg

This is another one of my favorites, as i usually am pretty fast, especially when it's not too low.

eumzaRDl.jpg

Another favorite, pulling was super easy

Ygx1qzsl.jpg

I'm not in this pic as the group was split up a bit, and when we noticed we forgot a loop (of about over 2K) we did it because we wanted to have done everything, but there were only 2 of us. The others took the shortcut. And teamed up with the leading part of the group. So we came in last (of our group) But except for a couple in the leading group we were the only ones who completed all of the parcours. 

It was a great OCR to do, especially for the low price (compared to the StrongViking) and the distance was a nice one to start with (since the 2K i did at the last StrongViking).

• Like 9

... a little odd in the head ...

That's one good looking kid.  And super kudos to him for being able to go the full 5K - no small feat for a small boy!

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja

Well done to Ghostlet, Mr Willes and Willes Jr! Solid racing all round.

• Like 2

2020 Races: 

If anyone's interested, I signed up to Tough Mudder Henley on April 28th next year. Since I know @jonfirestar is running that one as well, I created a team so everyone who wants to can run in the same wave. The team name is NerdFitness Rangers ( I created it and then realised I should have put Rebels so it's not so Guild specific, sorry! Any non-rangers will just become honorary Rangers for the day :P

• Like 2

"What does your heart tell you?" - Aragorn

Epic Quest: In the Footsteps of the Dúnedain: Aragorn's Journey

Current Challenge:   https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/120325-rhovaniel-stronger-wiser-healing/

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728

There have been some weird changes in Tough Mudder UK races regarding Everest in the last few races. Not only have they shrunk the halfpipe obstacle, they've banned people from running up it! They have been putting ropes the full length of the wall and telling people they must pull themselves up on the rope and walk not run! They won't even let people "pyramid" up the wall (lie down and stand on each others shoulders).

I'm guessing this is because they've had a few too many injuries. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of the obstacle though! Have these weird rule changes occurred in non UK events? Just curious if this is a blanket TM rule change or if it's the wonderful UK Heath & Safety laws ruining our fun again!

2020 Races: 

57 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

There have been some weird changes in Tough Mudder UK races regarding Everest in the last few races. Not only have they shrunk the halfpipe obstacle, they've banned people from running up it! They have been putting ropes the full length of the wall and telling people they must pull themselves up on the rope and walk not run! They won't even let people "pyramid" up the wall (lie down and stand on each others shoulders).

I'm guessing this is because they've had a few too many injuries. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of the obstacle though! Have these weird rule changes occurred in non UK events? Just curious if this is a blanket TM rule change or if it's the wonderful UK Heath & Safety laws ruining our fun again!

I think the one I did in Ireland with @Jarric had two versions of this: one was a halfpipe with no ropes you were supposed to run up and the other was an incline/pyramid wall, I think with ropes and easy to climb, where the volunteers urged runners to do the pyramid thing. I may have been a bit high on adrenaline though, he'll correct me if I'm wrong.

8 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

I think the one I did in Ireland with @Jarric had two versions of this: one was a halfpipe with no ropes you were supposed to run up and the other was an incline/pyramid wall, I think with ropes and easy to climb, where the volunteers urged runners to do the pyramid thing. I may have been a bit high on adrenaline though, he'll correct me if I'm wrong.

You are right. There are two obstacles that are very similar. Everest, which is the halfpipe you used to be allowed to run up, and Pyramid Scheme, which is the inverted wall where you all stand on each others shoulders to reach the top. The weird thing is, according to people that attended a recent TM, they were letting people climb up each other on pyramid scheme, but not everest!

In recent years they have added ropes to one side of everest so solo runners and people who didn't feel confident could use them. But now the ropes are the whole length of the wall and no one is allowed to run up it. 

2020 Races: 

Morning all!

Sorry for being MIA for the last few months, been a very turbulent time in the household. Spent most of the summer going in and out of DR's and hospitals with my youngest. Thought she had a bone tumor for a while and after many appointments and biopsy's it was found to be an infection. That was July 7th. She is still on antibiotics and they are testing her for either Crohn's or Celiacs disease.

That said, I did attend the WV Spartan Trifecta in WV. What an amazing venue! Huge and beautiful. Plan on running at least one race (maybe more) there next year!

• Like 2

The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

Level 4 Ranger

STR 4 STA 4 WIS 3 CON 3 INT 3 CHA 2 DEX 2

Holder of the Sal Ivanth Boots of Striding +2 (10% to distance traveled)

Wielder of the Bound Bow (25 pts magical or physical damage)

You are right. There are two obstacles that are very similar. Everest, which is the halfpipe you used to be allowed to run up, and Pyramid Scheme, which is the inverted wall where you all stand on each others shoulders to reach the top. The weird thing is, according to people that attended a recent TM, they were letting people climb up each other on pyramid scheme, but not everest!

In recent years they have added ropes to one side of everest so solo runners and people who didn't feel confident could use them. But now the ropes are the whole length of the wall and no one is allowed to run up it. 

Well we were definitely running up Everest this year at the one @DarK_RaideR and I did in Ireland. I'm marshalling at the "London South" TM on Saturday so I will see what I can find out.

• Like 2

Level 16 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 8  -  CON: 4  -  CHA: 3  -  SAN: 2  -  INT: 3

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Race season 4-week challenge

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map

On 9/18/2017 at 4:29 AM, mr_willes said:

My son (7) and me both did the Dakar Challenge, a local OCR.

He started at 10:20 and did 5K

I started at 10:40 and did 9K

Next year i'm gonna join him (and my wife and my daughter) on the 5K.

It was a great OCR to do, especially for the low price (compared to the StrongViking) and the distance was a nice one to start with (since the 2K i did at the last StrongViking).

Love it. I got my younger 2 to do the Spartan Kids' race a couple years ago at a Stadium Race but they really haven't since. My daughter has started asking about doing races with me but I don't want to start her out on ski hills and have her quit. I figure maybe Warrior Dash next year.

55 minutes ago, Mattisamus said:

Morning all!

Sorry for being MIA for the last few months, been a very turbulent time in the household. Spent most of the summer going in and out of DR's and hospitals with my youngest. Thought she had a bone tumor for a while and after many appointments and biopsy's it was found to be an infection. That was July 7th. She is still on antibiotics and they are testing her for either Crohn's or Celiacs disease.

That said, I did attend the WV Spartan Trifecta in WV. What an amazing venue! Huge and beautiful. Plan on running at least one race (maybe more) there next year!

I'm glad to hear that you're not dealing with the worst-case scenario with your youngest.

What did you think of the WV course? I had a couple friends who did the Trifecta weekend and they said Saturday was a soul-killer.

Rebel Scum - Current Challenge - Battle Log - Epic Quest

Just now, EricMN said:

What did you think of the WV course? I had a couple friends who did the Trifecta weekend and they said Saturday was a soul-killer.

It was. Much harder than the Ohio beast I did a few years ago. The first half mile was a slow up hill incline, followed by 1/4 mile of almost straight up. 3 total mountains and about 16 miles. My feet were destroyed. That said, I would do it again if I had time to actually prepare LOL

• Like 2

The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

Level 4 Ranger

STR 4 STA 4 WIS 3 CON 3 INT 3 CHA 2 DEX 2

Holder of the Sal Ivanth Boots of Striding +2 (10% to distance traveled)

Wielder of the Bound Bow (25 pts magical or physical damage)