Obstacle Racers, Assemble! [CLOSED]

13 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I won't lie, if you get hit with a cable that has a high charge running through it, it does hurt, but not as much as you think it's going to. I got hit in the chin the last time and it was like get a slap to the face. Just run fast and don't stop! I'm not a fan of electroshock as an obstacle in general. It's not something you can ever train for use any skill to get through, it's just luck whether you'll get a shock or not.

Honestly, I don't see a reason for electroshock, I mean it's not even really an "obstacle" to begin with. If it's about facing your fears and toughening it out, I much prefer those obstacles where you have to make it through a container full of ice cubes #brainfreeze

• Like 4

Lvl 58 Multitasker

9 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Honestly, I don't see a reason for electroshock, I mean it's not even really an "obstacle" to begin with. If it's about facing your fears and toughening it out, I much prefer those obstacles where you have to make it through a container full of ice cubes #brainfreeze

It's a gimmick that the TM founder *cough* borrowed *cough* from Tough Guy. I guess when it first started out it was a great marketing pull, but now they tend to put 2 different obstacles at the end and Legionnaires (people that have done TM more than once) can skip the electroshock and do something different. 

I like Arctic Enema, but I'm a little nervous about the changes this year. I'm not sure I can actually go head first down a tube into water, it's one of my worst fears!

• Like 2

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

It's a gimmick that the TM founder *cough* borrowed *cough* from Tough Guy. I guess when it first started out it was a great marketing pull, but now they tend to put 2 different obstacles at the end and Legionnaires (people that have done TM more than once) can skip the electroshock and do something different. 

I like Arctic Enema, but I'm a little nervous about

. I'm not sure I can actually go head first down a tube into water, it's one of my worst fears!

Remind me to practice dunking my head in ice water.

Where is an ice bucket challenge when you need one?

Inviato dal mio SM-G930F utilizzando Tapatalk

• Like 2

Goblin | Level 7 | STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 3.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 2.5

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

Having done a similar version of that obstacle, my advice would be to not think about it and keep moving. You want the realization and brainfreeze to catch up with you near the end of the obstacle. Take too long in the middle of it, cleaning your eyes and catching your breath and you're done.

• Like 2

Lvl 58 Multitasker

4 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

you have to make it through a container full of ice cubes #brainfreeze

Oh for the love of... :o:o:o 

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

It's delightful. I left the container laughing like a legit psychopath before I recovered to realize I was accidentally in the middle of a large team that was trying to take a photo at the finish line.

BWAHAHAHAHAAA Love it!!!!!

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

It's delightful. I left the container laughing like a legit psychopath before I recovered to realize I was accidentally in the middle of a large team that was trying to take a photo at the finish line.

Oh yeah, I'm sure it's delightful in beautiful Mediterranean temperatures. When its UK "summertime" and it's about 15c in the wind, it's not so blissful! :P 

• Like 7

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 

10 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Oh yeah, I'm sure it's delightful in beautiful Mediterranean temperatures. When its UK "summertime" and it's about 15c in the wind, it's not so blissful! :P 

Wind and moisture is what I'm worried about. I'll test myself this July and let you know.

• Like 4

Lvl 58 Multitasker

4 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to these either...

They have a similar deal at Savage Race called Shriveled Richard, a giant construction dumpster full of ice water with a dunk wall in the middle. 

Shriveled-02.jpg

I've also done the Polar Plunge, where they cut a hole in a frozen lake and you jump in for charity. I thought Shriveled Richard was worse. Probably due to the differences in the air temps.

This discussion sucks, I had blocked that memory out...

• Like 9

Rebel Scum Current Challenge

Honestly I'm just listening to all of this talk about ice water obstacles and saying "Ooh, I want to play too!" 

• Like 3

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

I am training for the TM Half on June 3rd in Michigan. This is my first OCR and I am not sure what to expect yet. So I am following the training guide they provide plus a few things for mobility and places where I need extra help (I am trying to get to independent pull-ups/chin-ups).

I have a yoga session at least 2x/week.

I am fundraising for the American Cancer Society for my registration. Feel free to donate if you would like!

AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY-TOUGH MUDDER HALF MICHIGAN

I hope I end up loving OCRs and make them a frequent part of my fitness. I am also looking forward to learning so much from this group!

• Like 7

Adventurous Druid Ranger

Pain is inevitable, suffering is a choice.

Current Challenge: Sober September, and probably longer.

Real talk:

Tomorrow's workout involves push-ups and pull-ups (:ambivalence:)

This will have to be a weight assisted pull-up (probably half of my body-weight), but I am worried that means I am lagging behind.

Has anyone done the TM training? Tomorrow starts Week 2 of Month 1.

I know you're going to say that there is so much time to get up to par but I am still worried that I won't catch up.

• Like 3

Adventurous Druid Ranger

22 minutes ago, NucleotidalWave said:

I know you're going to say that there is so much time to get up to par but I am still worried that I won't catch up.

So I also still struggle with pull-ups. And I am here to say that it is not really a big deal for people who do these recreationally.

The great thing about OCR's is that there is a team mentality, which is even more noticeable with TM's. People are always there to help you up and over things. Note: this does not extend to competitive waves - I believe with Spartans, if you are competing and get help, you technically "fail" the obstacle. @Oramac (why is he not in this thread?) can tell you all about TM's in this regard.

I do not run competitively. It is still frustrating for me to fail obstacles and need help. But if you do not get to where you need to be before you race, don't worry! It really shouldn't make the day less fun!

• Like 7
45 minutes ago, NucleotidalWave said:

Real talk:

Tomorrow's workout involves push-ups and pull-ups (:ambivalence:)

This will have to be a weight assisted pull-up (probably half of my body-weight), but I am worried that means I am lagging behind.

Has anyone done the TM training? Tomorrow starts Week 2 of Month 1.

What Sylvaa said! I've done sooo many OCR's and I suck at pull ups and chin ups and my upper body strength is, well, crap! Of course I'd love to be totally buff so I can blast through every obstacle, but that ain't gonna happen, so I just do what I can and don't let it ruin my fun. Try not to get too stressed about training for your first event. Of course it's a benefit if you can do all the things that training guides tell you you need to do, but it is in no way necessary. You'll get loads of help from fellow Mudders if you need it.

17 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Note: this does not extend to competitive waves - I believe with Spartans, if you are competing and get help, you technically "fail" the obstacle. @Oramac (why is he not in this thread?) can tell you all about TM's in this regard.

I don't know about Spartans, but even in Worlds Toughest Mudder, competitors still help each other.

• Like 4

2020 Races: 

38 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

The great thing about OCR's is that there is a team mentality, which is even more noticeable with TM's. People are always there to help you up and over things. Note: this does not extend to competitive waves - I believe with Spartans, if you are competing and get help, you technically "fail" the obstacle. @Oramac (why is he not in this thread?) can tell you all about TM's in this regard.

14 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

What Sylvaa said! I've done sooo many OCR's and I suck at pull ups and chin ups and my upper body strength is, well, crap! Of course I'd love to be totally buff so I can blast through every obstacle, but that ain't gonna happen, so I just do what I can and don't let it ruin my fun. Try not to get too stressed about training for your first event. Of course it's a benefit if you can do all the things that training guides tell you you need to do, but it is in no way necessary. You'll get loads of help from fellow Mudders if you need it.

I don't know about Spartans, but even in Worlds Toughest Mudder, competitors still help each other.

Yup.  All of this.  I can't speak to Spartans, but at a TM, every single person on the course is your teammate.  I know my group has spent over an hour at some obstacles just helping people across, because we can.  As Charlie_Quinn said, yes, it's nice to train for the event, and it does help, but don't stress out over not being able to do something.  

On a more personal level, I highly recommend that you attempt every single obstacle, no matter what.  You might surprise yourself and succeed, and even if not, you gave it your best and can learn from it.  

Also, hi @Sylvaa  I have no idea why I'm not in this thread.  But I am now!  

• Like 6

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

1 hour ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

If this is true, then great! We are doing Toughest Mudder next year (more time to train).

1 hour ago, Sylvaa said:

So I also still struggle with pull-ups. And I am here to say that it is not really a big deal for people who do these recreationally.

I do not run competitively. It is still frustrating for me to fail obstacles and need help. But if you do not get to where you need to be before you race, don't worry! It really shouldn't make the day less fun!

Thank you Sylvaa! This is a relief. I am doing this with my SO and some friends so I know I will get support from them. I am kind of trying to boost my ego a bit though and would like to think that I will be able to help others as well. Not be the one that is always needing the help and not being able to return it.

• Like 4

Adventurous Druid Ranger

23 minutes ago, NucleotidalWave said:

Thank you Sylvaa! This is a relief. I am doing this with my SO and some friends so I know I will get support from them. I am kind of trying to boost my ego a bit though and would like to think that I will be able to help others as well. Not be the one that is always needing the help and not being able to return it.

The cool thing is: you can.  Not all help is physical.  Focus on mindset and staying upbeat and positive, and I promise you, even if your friends don't realize it, you will be able to help them immensely just doing that.  

• Like 5

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

1 minute ago, Oramac said:

The cool thing is: you can.  Not all help is physical.  Focus on mindset and staying upbeat and positive, and I promise you, even if your friends don't realize it, you will be able to help them immensely just doing that.  

I hope so, thank you Oramac!

• Like 1

Adventurous Druid Ranger

On 14-2-2017 at 6:25 PM, Charlie_Quinn said:

Been there done that. StrongViking calls it: The Iceman (inspired by Wim Hofman). Last time i did it, i got such a brainfreeze and felt really hot for a couple of seconds when i came out. I also needed to pee, and i wasn't the only one. There were people all around me searching for a tree, and i heard a couple of worried voices going: "Where did it go", when they pulled down their pants.

• Like 8

... a little odd in the head ...

Catching up on this thread reminds me I'm behind on my training goals. It's not that I'm putting it off, exactly, its more that I forget how close it is and then reality hits and I get a horrible "oh crap its in April!" jolt. 

Also, the Great Windsor Park thing sounds amazing. Count me in for that!

• Like 2

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

Awwww crud. Are there pull ups? I have pull ups in my program but I can only do like 3 unassisted... so I use a light monster band to get most of my sets. Any tips on pull up progressions??

Sent from FrogStar World B

10 minutes ago, RedStone said:

Awwww crud. Are there pull ups? I have pull ups in my program but I can only do like 3 unassisted... so I use a light monster band to get most of my sets. Any tips on pull up progressions??

I've made good progress using the progression on startbodyweight combined with a grease the groove approach of leaving a pullup bar over a door and trying them whenever I walk through it, 

• Like 4

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell.