Obstacle Racers, Assemble! [CLOSED]

Ok, that is actually pretty neat and I might swap out one of my work out for it. What does the 15 min cap mean?

Inviato dal mio SM-G930F utilizzando Tapatalk

• Like 3

Goblin | Level 7 | STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 3.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 2.5

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

11 hours ago, EricMN said:

Obstacle Racers WOW #1

Every workout is intended to help with an Obstacle Racing fitness focus, and will be scalable, both upward and down, to the fitness level of the participant.

Fantastic, thank you!

I'm gonna give this a go today and see how I measure up :D 

• Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

@EricMN This is amazing, thanks for doing this for us. 

I brought my running stuff to work today to do a lunchtime run, but I think I'm going do a slow jog over to the park and do this workout at the outdoor gym instead! Probably going to get a bit muddy! :D

1 hour ago, Miw_Sher said:

What does the 15 min cap mean?

I think (I'm not 100% sure) that it means you give yourself a time cap of 15 minutes for that circuit. So if you have been doing the circuit for 15 mins and you are at lunges, you stop there. I'm sure one of the Cross-fitters will tell us for sure *looks over at @DarK_RaideR for confirmation*

• Like 6

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

This would be perfect, I'm on a strength circuit day and pressed for time, and this combines every required exercise including the knee-related stuff I do. :)

• Like 1

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

2 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I think (I'm not 100% sure) that it means you give yourself a time cap of 15 minutes for that circuit. So if you have been doing the circuit for 15 mins and you are at lunges, you stop there. I'm sure one of the Cross-fitters will tell us for sure *looks over at @DarK_RaideR for confirmation*

That was how I interpreted it too. 

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

15 hours ago, EricMN said:

Obstacle Racers WOW #1

Every workout is intended to help with an Obstacle Racing fitness focus, and will be scalable, both upward and down, to the fitness level of the participant.

@EricMN Thank you!  I think I'm going to sub this in for my Saturday run/workout.  Good stuff!

• Like 3

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Y'all are flatterers. I'm glad I can help out even a little.

12 hours ago, NucleotidalWave said:

@EricMN

I am currently following the training program for the Tough Mudder Half that they provide on their website. It is a 3 month program. But I have started 4 weeks early.

I was going to go off that program after every 2 weeks to spend that week doing something else, however I am not sure what. So I am wondering if doing the workout you have posted will make sense. 

I am currently on the 2nd week of the program so maybe I could start off with this. But it is much longer than the ones that I have been doing. Would it be too big of a change?

My Daily Log has what I have been doing.

I looked at the TM workout. It's a good foundation. Good job of logging your workouts. How are your arms feeling today?

The workout I posted, including warm-up and post-workout stretching, is designed to be completed in 30 minutes. If it feels like a lot, just do Set 1 and Set 2 one time through each. Scale it to your own ability. I never want to see anyone get injured pushing themselves too far too fast.

From your Battle Log, it looks like you're about to start Week 3 of the program. If I were to incorporate this workout into Week 3, I would personally add it during the Day 5 Rest Day. If you'd rather replace a day, you could replace the Day 3 workout. This is a bit longer workout than what they have listed, but it's got a similar focus.

6 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

@EricMN This is amazing, thanks for doing this for us. 

I brought my running stuff to work today to do a lunchtime run, but I think I'm going do a slow jog over to the park and do this workout at the outdoor gym instead! Probably going to get a bit muddy! :D

Muddy makes me jealous.

6 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:
8 hours ago, Miw_Sher said:

What does the 15 min cap mean?

You're right on. Set an alarm for 15 minutes and go. Try to get in as many reps as you can.

2 hours ago, Oramac said:

@EricMN Thank you!  I think I'm going to sub this in for my Saturday run/workout.  Good stuff!

Gladly. Ramp it up a notch and do the workout at the halfway point of your run. You'll hate me later.

21 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

@EricMN, you are awesome and I can't wait until you finish, so you can do online personal training!

Flatterer.

• Like 7

Rebel Scum Current Challenge

1 hour ago, EricMN said:

I looked at the TM workout. It's a good foundation. Good job of logging your workouts. How are your arms feeling today?

The workout I posted, including warm-up and post-workout stretching, is designed to be completed in 30 minutes. If it feels like a lot, just do Set 1 and Set 2 one time through each. Scale it to your own ability. I never want to see anyone get injured pushing themselves too far too fast.

From your Battle Log, it looks like you're about to start Week 3 of the program. If I were to incorporate this workout into Week 3, I would personally add it during the Day 5 Rest Day. If you'd rather replace a day, you could replace the Day 3 workout. This is a bit longer workout than what they have listed, but it's got a similar focus.

I am going to start Week 3 on Monday. I am about to finish the last Week 2 workout today. So on Thursday and Saturday I am going to do your workout. Then on Monday start Week 3.

My arms are all good now. I am ready to do push-ups during my run today. Thank you for the advice! 

• Like 1

Adventurous Druid Ranger

Pain is inevitable, suffering is a choice.

Current Challenge: Sober September, and probably longer.

I wasn't able to do the WoW in the park yesterday due to work commitments, so I did it when I got home and convinced The Hubs to do it with me.

@EricMN after one round of the first circuit, my fit husband was standing with his hands on his knees and breathing like he'd just tried to beat Usain Bolt in a 100 meter dash. I told him to pace himself, he didn't listen! The good news is, it challenged him enough for him to want to do it again on Thursday. 

I went a bit slower than he did so didn't burn myself out so quickly and managed 2 rounds (though I had to skip the pull ups as I've no bar at the moment and no way of doing them scaled either). I'm a bit better at burpees than I thought I was but they can still go to hell. Oh, and bear crawls on wood laminate flooring hurts!

• Like 10

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 

For anyone looking to practice on monkey bars, your city might have a list of 'adult fitness parks,' basically playgrounds with adult-sized equipment. I just discovered my city's website has them. I checked out the closest one, they had monkey bars ("horizontal ladders")... and I made it to the third rung! Last time I couldn't get past the first.

• Like 8

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

1 hour ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I'm a bit better at burpees than I thought I was but they can still go to hell.

QFT

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

On 21/2/2017 at 0:00 AM, EricMN said:

I was thinking about you and your prep for the CF Open and the Games specifically when I offered this. I won't be offended if you don't participate until you finish crushing every Rx.

Scaled looks like a much more realistic option than Rx for me in the Open. It's sad, it's soul-crushing for me, but I gotta accept where I'm at, especially coming off a tweaked knee and a week -long nasty cold.

Thank you so very much for posting these workouts. Is it alright if I join at a later date or are they meant to be a progressively harder chain that one should pick up from the beginning?

• Like 2

Lvl 58 Multitasker

@EricMN I took your tip on trying this workout halfway through my run. You were right. I hate you now. It also started raining in the middle of the workout.

In all seriousness - I got through 2 1/2 circuits of each on scaled-down reps. The bear crawsl absolutely killed me. A question about reps - if we go to failure, do we stop and move on to the next exercise? Do we pause and then continue the exercise till the end? Do we continue on a scaled down version of the exercise?

I had the issue with push-ups, what I did was 20 on a low incline first set and then mixed for the next two (as in stared on a low incline and then when I could not continue anymore went to a higher incline).

• Like 5

For anyone looking to practice on monkey bars, your city might have a list of 'adult fitness parks,' basically playgrounds with adult-sized equipment. I just discovered my city's website has them. I checked out the closest one, they had monkey bars ("horizontal ladders")... and I made it to the third rung! Last time I couldn't get past the first.

We don't even have a children sized playground . If I was planning to live here longer the town would never hear the end of it.

"You need a playground. With monkey bars. For the children of course!"

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Miw_Sher said:

if we go to failure, do we stop and move on to the next exercise? Do we pause and then continue the exercise till the end? Do we continue on a scaled down version of the exercise?

My guess would be finish the reps of that exercise, even if you need a little break to catch your breath, then move on to the next one.

If you find an exercise too hard, it's ok to scale to an easier one midway into the workout, although I think it would be best if you learn what you can and can't do, then pick a version of the exercise you can consistently do from the start to the finish of the workout.

Just chiming in with my $0.02 until Eric gives the answer.

• Like 2

Lvl 58 Multitasker

My guess would be finish the reps of that exercise, even if you need a little break to catch your breath, then move on to the next one.

If you find an exercise too hard, it's ok to scale to an easier one midway into the workout, although I think it would be best if you learn what you can and can't do, then pick a version of the exercise you can consistently do from the start to the finish of the workout.

Yeah, I'm talking in the event of where you don't really have a clue how much you'll be able to do, as was the case here.

2 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Well done! keep working on it and you'll get all the way across in no time. 

We have them over here, except we call them Trim Trails. They're great, except the one near my work tends to get monopolized by personal trainers who seem to think "free for everyone" means "exclusively for me to train my clients and no one else". I had a big rant about this in a previous challenge, so I won't get started again!

• Like 4

2020 Races: 

2 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Scaled looks like a much more realistic option than Rx for me in the Open. It's sad, it's soul-crushing for me, but I gotta accept where I'm at, especially coming off a tweaked knee and a week -long nasty cold.

I read about your knee. I've had what you described happen. Soft-tissue issues like that are scary, but it sounds like you're managing it correctly. Colds are even worse, they suck every bit of energy out of your system. I'm impressed with your ability even if you're disappointed over competing scaled, I can't do some of the movements even at scale.

2 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Thank you so very much for posting these workouts. Is it alright if I join at a later date or are they meant to be a progressively harder chain that one should pick up from the beginning?

Every workout will be designed so that someone can just jump in. I hope we drag people into this group over time and I intend for these workouts - as long as people want them - to be accessible to everyone, but scalable so that they are challenging at every level of fitness.

51 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:
1 hour ago, Miw_Sher said:

@EricMN I took your tip on trying this workout halfway through my run. You were right. I hate you now. It also started raining in the middle of the workout.

In all seriousness - I got through 2 1/2 circuits of each on scaled-down reps. The bear crawsl absolutely killed me. A question about reps - if we go to failure, do we stop and move on to the next exercise? Do we pause and then continue the exercise till the end? Do we continue on a scaled down version of the exercise?

I had the issue with push-ups, what I did was 20 on a low incline first set and then mixed for the next two (as in stared on a low incline and then when I could not continue anymore went to a higher incline).

DR is right on. Finish out an exercise - take a breather, scale down the intensity, whatever you need to do, before moving on to the next exercise.

• Like 3

I'm still fighting a cold today and I'm feeling run-down and crummy and unproductive and useless. I just went back through the early feedback on the first workout.

9 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I wasn't able to do the WoW in the park yesterday due to work commitments, so I did it when I got home and convinced The Hubs to do it with me.

@EricMN after one round of the first circuit, my fit husband was standing with his hands on his knees and breathing like he'd just tried to beat Usain Bolt in a 100 meter dash. I told him to pace himself, he didn't listen! The good news is, it challenged him enough for him to want to do it again on Thursday. 

I went a bit slower than he did so didn't burn myself out so quickly and managed 2 rounds (though I had to skip the pull ups as I've no bar at the moment and no way of doing them scaled either). I'm a bit better at burpees than I thought I was but they can still go to hell. Oh, and bear crawls on wood laminate flooring hurts!

5 hours ago, Miw_Sher said:

I'm glad you all "enjoyed" it. Also, @Charlie_Quinn get your knees up off that floor!

Spoiler

And this dude needs to get his butt down at the beginning.

It's like you're all flirting with me, here.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

• Like 6