Obstacle Racers, Assemble! [CLOSED]

1 hour ago, Sylvaa said:

Back to OCR's - got a new pair of Inov-8's! Hoping to get them broken in before the 4th. NTB and I are starting at 11:30.

How exciting!! Which kind did you go with?

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

2 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

How exciting!! Which kind did you go with?

Roclite 280. I wanted a pair that seemed like it would be dependable without being expensive. There are a lot nicer shoes out there, but I was having issues with spending a lot on shoes that I am only planning on using a few times a year. 

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Roclite 280. I wanted a pair that seemed like it would be dependable without being expensive. There are a lot nicer shoes out there, but I was having issues with spending a lot on shoes that I am only planning on using a few times a year. 

Nice! I tried on a pair of Roclites and they felt like they would be super comfy racing shoes. 

• Like 1

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

1 hour ago, Sylvaa said:

Awesome. Also, Inov-8 shoes don't need to be broken in.

• Like 1

Rebel Scum Current Challenge

12 hours ago, EricMN said:

I'm glad you all "enjoyed" it. Also, @Charlie_Quinn get your knees up off that floor!

Reveal hidden contents

And this dude needs to get his butt down at the beginning.

Ah OK, I got a bit confused when you said do it like a barbed wire crawl and did a sort of commando crawl. I'll keep the knees off the ground next time.

8 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I have these and I love them for trails and less muddy races. I do prefer Mudclaws for grip though. My Mudclaws are starting to come to the end of their life now and I'm probably going to have to replace them pretty soon. I can't decide if I should get another pair of Mudclaws, or try out the new X-Claw

• Like 4

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

14 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:
15 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Nice! I tried on a pair of Roclites and they felt like they would be super comfy racing shoes. 

Are these the type of shoes I should be wearing for the Tough Mudder? If not, what do you recommend? I just have trail running shoes from saucony that I work out in.

• Like 1

Adventurous Druid Ranger

Pain is inevitable, suffering is a choice.

Current Challenge: Sober September, and probably longer.

14 minutes ago, NucleotidalWave said:

Are these the type of shoes I should be wearing for the Tough Mudder? If not, what do you recommend? I just have trail running shoes from saucony that I work out in.

YMMV.  I personally love my Vibrams for pretty much everything.  I train in the KSO, and use the Spyridon MR Elite for Tough Mudders.  I couldn't be happier with them.  

In both cases, don't just buy a pair and go run the event.  It takes your feet/calves a couple weeks to acclimate to the minimalist nature of the shoe.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

25 minutes ago, NucleotidalWave said:

I wouldn't fork out a load of cash for a new pair of shoes if this is your first Tough Mudder. I did my first one in an old pair of trail shoes that got chucked at the end (they were wrecked!). I was sliding around in the mud like crazy, but that was part of the fun!

If you end up falling in love with OCR (and why wouldn't you) and want to do more, then it might be worth spending the money on a pair with good grip.

• Like 4

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Just now, Charlie_Quinn said:

I wouldn't fork out a load of cash for a new pair of shoes if this is your first Tough Mudder. I did my first one in an old pair of trail shoes that got chucked at the end (they were wrecked!). I was sliding around in the mud like crazy, but that was part of the fun!

If you end up falling in love with OCR (and why wouldn't you) and want to do more, then it might be worth spending the money on a pair with good grip.

This is definitely a valid point that I totally forgot.  I guess I just kinda assume that everyone loves OCRs! :P 

• Like 3

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

34 minutes ago, NucleotidalWave said:

There is a lot of personal preference involved in shoes, so I don't know that there is any one answer and you will see people wearing all kinds of things out on the course.

Main considerations seem to be drainage, weight, grip, and comfort. I tend to look at drainage as being my top priority, because it has always been constant (there has always been pools to wade through) and it sucks trying to run around in shoes full of water. If you've ever run through a muddy race, you will definitely understand the importance of grip though! Your experience will also be impacted by the weather leading up to the race. Last year, I did a Sprint in trail running shoes with no issues (it was super dry and in August). 

Like CQ said, I wouldn't worry about buying a new pair for your first race unless you are buying them for some other reason. Once you decide to keep doing them, then you can make a longer term decision in regards to shoes. 

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, NucleotidalWave said:

One more thing in regards to shoes: unless you are extremely confident in the shoes ability to stay attached to your foot, buy some duct tape.  Wrap it 3-4 times around the laces of your shoes before you start the run.  It should be tight, but not so tight as to cut off circulation.  This helps a TON in keeping your shoes on your feet, instead of lost alongside the course somewhere.  

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Phew! Workout done. That sure was a workout. :applause:

I did about 2.5 sets of each round. For the first round, I had no idea how far 30 yards was and I'm doing this in my apartment, so I just kind of guessed. I'll have to measure the floor for reference next time because I doubt I was actually doing a full 30 yards. 

For the second round, I kind of alternated between proper burpees and half burpees. I have no idea why but it just kind of happened. I guess I'm not used to doing burpees when winded! 

I also have a bunch of questions!

• For things like lunges and mountain climbers, is it 20 on each side, or 20 total?
  • I had to do step ups because I don't have anything stable enough to jump on. Do you have any tips for home gym gear for box jumps? I'd love to be able to do them.
  • I've done some reading on this subject before, but do you have any advice on how to breathe during burpees? I constantly hold my breath and that slows me down a lot. 
  • Also for burpee form - when you jump back from squat to pushup, should you land with your feet together or wide apart?
  • I had to push off with my feet a bit to do the pull ups. Is it better to do bouncy pull ups, or to revert to one of the easier progressions?
  • Like 7

How smart is it to wear a pair of trail hiking shoes I was planning to throw out after the event anyhow?

Same with running shoes.

Inviato dal mio SM-G930F utilizzando Tapatalk

• Like 2

Goblin | Level 7 | STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 3.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 2.5

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

Today I did 2 rounds of the first Main Set and 3 rounds in the second. 

I did this at a playground because today is the last warm, sunny day of a streak of great weather. So I made the most of it!

1st main set:

-20 normal push-ups then 20 knee push-ups

-5 lbs overhead weighted squats both rounds

-I feel like I went through the mountain climbers too easily, any suggestions?? Maybe my butt was too high.

-Lunges were walking lunges, no added weight

-side shuffles were body-weight only

-I assumed two normal walking steps was approximately 1 yard so I measured it out that way. I am sure I got some weird looks but whatevz. What was interesting was that the grass was smushy so there was some small prep for the mud.

2nd main set:

-Box jumps on this fake log thing in the playground, it was about a foot high.

-Burpees in the grass nearby

-I can't do a pull-up for my life so I did "negative pull-ups" on this little "rock climbing" wall. I could barely hold myself up let alone slowly bring myself down. I realize I have a lot of work to do on this. Dammit...

Overall, I am looking forward to doing this again on Saturday. Only this time it will be in a gym since it will be cold outside and I may have received enough weird looks from people today. 

• Like 5

Adventurous Druid Ranger

Pain is inevitable, suffering is a choice.

Current Challenge: Sober September, and probably longer.

1 hour ago, NucleotidalWave said:

-I feel like I went through the mountain climbers too easily, any suggestions?? Maybe my butt was too high.

Go faster! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NucleotidalWave said:

Mountain climbers are pretty easy for me too - it's weird how people struggle with different exercises.

I've always kept myself in a high plank position when doing these and concentrated on keeping my knees closer to the ground while bringing them up to the chest (if that makes sense). I totally had to retrain myself because my butt was definitely higher before. 

On 2/20/2017 at 5:00 PM, EricMN said:

Obstacle Racers WOW #1

This is great to see! Comforting to know I'm on a good path for this, and thinking about how I can cross train more skills on the reg with my powerlifting prep, especially with OCR and meet dates in the same potential training block. (UGH... more food?! :P) My typical warmups look like yours, dynamic stretching going up and down turf, plus a few others. (A few people have asked me to detail my "track and field" warmup and I may just link to you to get it started!)

I'll have to have a sit down with my coach before the next wave starts to talk logistics. I think my primary concern will be grip strength... *grabs the grip trainer between sips of coffee...* and I want to be realistic about getting the functional and skill work in, or the strength is useless :P 

Thank you so much for being so generous with your programming! And good luck with your testing! My cert exam is less than a month away and I'm... nervous AF lol

• Like 2
Today I did 2 rounds of the first Main Set and 3 rounds in the second. 

I did this at a playground because today is the last warm, sunny day of a streak of great weather. So I made the most of it!

1st main set:

-20 normal push-ups then 20 knee push-ups

-5 lbs overhead weighted squats both rounds

-Lunges were walking lunges, no added weight

-side shuffles were body-weight only

-I assumed two normal walking steps was approximately 1 yard so I measured it out that way. I am sure I got some weird looks but whatevz. What was interesting was that the grass was smushy so there was some small prep for the mud.

2nd main set:

-Box jumps on this fake log thing in the playground, it was about a foot high.

-Burpees in the grass nearby

-I can't do a pull-up for my life so I did "negative pull-ups" on this little "rock climbing" wall. I could barely hold myself up let alone slowly bring myself down. I realize I have a lot of work to do on this. Dammit...

I feel you. I can't even do strict bodyweight rows and don't have dumbells, so I have to either do incline rows or bent-knee rows depending on the equipment available.

Though I recently found out my shower frame is strong enough for dead-hangs.

Somehow I don't think that will have a happy ending.

• Like 4

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

6 minutes ago, Miw_Sher said:

Though I recently found out my shower frame is strong enough for dead-hangs.

Somehow I don't think that will have a happy ending.

Oof. That does seem risky.

• Like 1

Oof. That does seem risky.

It doesn't bend, creak or budge at all, so it really is not helping me be reasonable about this.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

I also have a bunch of questions!

• For things like lunges and mountain climbers, is it 20 on each side, or 20 total?
  • I had to do step ups because I don't have anything stable enough to jump on. Do you have any tips for home gym gear for box jumps? I'd love to be able to do them.
  • I've done some reading on this subject before, but do you have any advice on how to breathe during burpees? I constantly hold my breath and that slows me down a lot. 
  • Also for burpee form - when you jump back from squat to pushup, should you land with your feet together or wide apart?
  • I had to push off with my feet a bit to do the pull ups. Is it better to do bouncy pull ups, or to revert to one of the easier progressions?

Again, dropping my $0.02 until Eric gets here to answer

- Box jumps at home are tricky business. You'll want a sturdy enough box to withstand the force of your weight landing with momentum. Make sure there's space around to land, including emergency landings or falls. Also consider the material on your floor and any neighbors on the lower floor for noise reasons. That said, plenty of parameters so no universal answer.

- Personally, I like to inhale while standing, exhale going down to a pushup, inhale, jump up and exhale as I complete the move. Eric might know the science behind a more efficient way though

- Foot positioning during the landing depends on what gives you more security and stability going down. Just don't stress it too much overthinking about whether your feet are glued together or too wide apart.

16 hours ago, Miw_Sher said:

How smart is it to wear a pair of trail hiking shoes I was planning to throw out after the event anyhow?

Same with running shoes.

I had an old worn out pair of Speedcross 3 Salomons I wore for my first ever OCR before throwing them away. My way of having them go out in a blaze of glory.

It's been said, go with an old pair of shoes for your first OCR and if you do catch the bug, then invest in a new pair for them.

• Like 6

Lvl 58 Multitasker

Question on trail shoes: Is it ok to wear them running on roads/pavements? Where I live currently all my routes are half field and half road, so I don't know what's best to get for that and to be OCR ready?

• Like 2

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 16  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 9  -  SAN: 19 -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric embraces brevity

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

14 minutes ago, Jarric said:

Question on trail shoes: Is it ok to wear them running on roads/pavements? Where I live currently all my routes are half field and half road, so I don't know what's best to get for that and to be OCR ready?

Obs. Stop and switch shoes at any transitions.

Kidding, I wonder the same thing.

• Like 2

Level 37 [Stonesong Gemwright]

I'm interested in that as well.. mine are trail hiking shoes and the soles are much softer than my running shoes, so much I can tell. I'm going to throw a wild guess and assume it depends on how much they absorb shock.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jarric said:

Note: Not an expert. But I think it depends on the soles. Some have a softer lug, which will wear down faster on pavement. If the bottom of the shoe is a harder rubber, you should be fine to wear them on pavement. Are you looking to have one pair of shoes for both purposes or looking to make sure it's okay to break in a pair of trail shoes for OCR's?

• Like 4