Scatterbunn Races to the Finish

Scatterbunn

This challenge is going to be challenging to say the least. One of my coworkers left unexpectedly and since we were only a 4 woman department to begin with, work will be somewhat erratic until we hire another Technologist (Any CT/Xray techs in North Texas looking for a job? :) ) so I have pretty much kept my fitness goals the same this challenge as last time.

Fitness goals:

1. Run 2 times a week. I have my 3rd Half Marathon 3/18 then another 2 weeks later.

2. Ride my bike 2 times/ week. I will really be trying to get in 3 rides with at least 1 hill and 1 endurance session, but again: work=unpredictable.

3. 2 full body strength training sessions/ week. I can split one of these into 2 sessions: 1 upper/core and 1 lower/core if scheduling dictates.

Diet goal:

Maintain/gain weight. I am currently 5 10 and 141lbs approx. 21% body fat. I'm not unhealthy for my height but the last 9 or so pounds have been "unplanned" (my goal weight was 150) so I don't want to slide too much lower, I also eventually need to add on some muscle, but for now just trying to maintain.  I really need to focus on getting enough calories while keeping carbs in check (Borderline pre diabetic).  I am going to work on "ball park" tracking with MFP, as I tend to get a little obsessive, if "strict" tracking becomes necessary, so be it, but I am going to try this first.  I saw my doctor on Friday and brought up the weight loss, we are doing some blood work to see if the thyroid meds I started in October could be the culprit.

Life goal:

1. 30 minutes of "dog training time" per week outside of class. Now that Tries My Patience (yes that is her name, Patience for short) is a little over a year, we are going to try Intermediate Obedience again. She excelled at puppy and she is VERY smart but easily distracted, I am hoping that now that she is a bit older, we will make it through (3rd times a charm right?).  I need to make sure I make the time with everything else going on to work with her outside of class. A walk will only count for 5 minutes no matter how long it lasts.

2. Finish scrapbooking past races/rides. Things are going to get pretty busy starting in March, I need to clear the back log so it doesn't get any worse.

• Like 1

@Primeval The 3/19 (oops) and 4/2 half marathons are part of the Rock N Roll series. I ran the RnR San Antonio in December and by completing the RnR Dallas in March I earn the Limited Edition Lone Star Legend Medal in addition to my finishers medal.

I also chose it because it falls the day after the Steam N Wheels bike race in Abilene. One of my bucket list events is to complete the Triple Threat at the Hotter N Hell Hundred (HHH). Its a 3 day event with MTB race Friday, 100 mile road endurance ride Saturday and a trail half on Sunday. I was thinking about attempting it this year and thought these two events would be a good early season practice run. I rode the Steam N Wheels last year and came in dead last, this years goal was to improve my time (and hopefully not finish last). I'm currently debating if I'm even going to do the Steam n Wheels due to the organizers delay in "officially" setting the date and opening registration (registration opened today, date was official yesterday). I assumed it would not be held this year (last year I had registered early January) so I have been focusing a bit more on my running. I'm not sure if I can make up the ground I need to in time, I will have to see how things progress this challenge. 

The 4/2 RnR Raleigh, I chose because my mom lives there and my sister used to be a runner and mentioned that the Rock n Roll series was her favorite. Back before Christmas I brought up the two of us doing it together. I don't know where she is training wise but I'm anticipating more walking than running from our phone conversations, its mostly about doing it together. The Saturday before  (4/1) we are walking the 5k with our mom.

Unless I change my mind and decide to do the Triple Threat after all, RnR Raleigh will probably be my last half until December. April through July I will be completing the European Tour of Texas Challenge (series of 4 bike rides) and preparing for the HHH which is always my big event for the year.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Primeval said:

RandR in Raleigh is going to be awesome. Spring is really nice in NC. :)

I'm slightly more partial to fall in Asheville where my grandparents used to live, either way its much nicer than anytime in Texas, IMO (dont tell the Texans i said that). I'm actually from there, looking forward to doing a half "in my home town." Unfortunately I'm currently living in FLATLAND Texas so I'm a little worried about the hills. The general area is MUCH more hilly than where I live now and iv seen alot of chatter about hills on one of my facebook groups, oh well doing it with my sister so no specific "goal" other than sister bonding (hopefully) and to have a good time.

LOL 18 halfs in a year? And i'm sitting her thinking what an busy (and expensive) year i have with 4-5 halfs, one of which could become a full (though looking less likely) and 6-10 bike rides. 

• Like 1

Today was "research" for the challenge. I'm still on the fence about the Steam N Wheels bike race in Abilene, but after today's ride, its looking like more of a possibility than before. I moved my long ride of the week forward a day to take advantage of low(er) wind even though tomorrow will be warmer. Rode 30 miles, my longest outdoor ride so far this year. I have been doing about 30"miles" during my trainer endurance workouts but there is a big difference between the trainer and the road. 

I was pleasantly surprised at how well things went, I completed the ride in just over 2:30 which is pretty good for me (im slow), heart rate was a little higher than it should have been, but overall a good ride. I struggled the last few miles as my arms/core were spent, definitely need to keep working on this, but even though legs were tired, i wasn't completely "done" at the end. Considering my last outdoor long ride was 20 miles January 2nd, I did much better than i had expected. Now i just have to see what the weather does the next few weeks and decide which event to make priority (fortunately for Steam N Wheels, its only an extra $5 for day of registration). I will need to get in at least one 50 mile ride by the end of the challenge if I' m going to do the bike race (and do it faster than last year which is the goal). I will also have to pretty much give up my goal of a sub 3 hr finish at my 1/2 in Dallas, which is probably a long shot any way since the course is apparently fairly hilly with a monster at mile 8. Decisions Decisions Decisions.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Scatterbunn said:

Unfortunately I'm currently living in FLATLAND Texas so I'm a little worried about the hills. The general area is MUCH more hilly than where I live now and iv seen alot of chatter about hills on one of my facebook groups, oh well doing it with my sister so no specific "goal" other than sister bonding (hopefully) and to have a good time.

My dad's from Greensboro.  I lived in Charleston, SC and went to visit my parents in the Piedmont and boy howdy does hills change things.  Raleigh shouldn't be as bad as Greenville/Spartanburg though..  No where close to the pain Asheville would inflict.

My Battle Log 

I'm on Strava for my running now.

Check out Kick! too.  You unlock gear with your progress on Strava.

My weekend so far:

2017-02-12%2007.36.20_zps0ve1il5v.png

Hopefully the next 24 hours will be better than the last 24 hours, but just in case I wanted to get my Day 1 Stats posted:

Weight (7 day average): 141.6

Mileage (YTD/GOAL):

Running: 89/650

Cycling: 165/2,800

If things slow down (and I can get a nap) I may try to get a strength session in, hopefully at minimum I can find time to stretch. 

@SirEarl OOPS, should have been 2,800 this year. Its a little more than double what I rode last year, however I sprained my ankle last May and was off the bike for several weeks recovering then i was attacked by a dog while riding my bike and lost several more weeks, coming back with lower mileage each time as I continued to recover. I was also doing my indoor rides on a spinbike at the gym so those miles weren't included. Its probably a little conservative but I'm also running this year which i didn't start until late September last year.

No strength training or stretching Sunday, just too tired, things werent quite so busy at work but since Monday was going to be long run day I decided to put off the STrength training, I did pay for lack of stretching during/after my run yesterday. but i dont regret skipping the Strength. 

The plan for yesterday was to get up, eat a light breakfast and try to get in an 11 mile run before the rain hit. That plan changed when I woke up to a sick dog, Instead I ate my normal breakfast then took her to the vet who was good enough to get us in. It was kind of sad, when I gave my name, the receptionist didn't even ask which of my dogs was sick, she just said "oh no and she has been doing so well." Ms Patience is only a year old and we have had 5 "emergency" vet visits for assorted issues. Fortunately my vet is pretty good about getting us in. She seems better today but we are still skipping School today and going for a make up class Saturday. 

While Patience was being Tortured getting tested by the vet I got my 11 mile run in, fortunately the rain held off until mid afternoon. I used the run to experiment with different run/walk ratios for speed vs fatigue. After a 5 minute walking warmup I did 20 minutes each of 15, 30, 45, 60 s running with 30 s walking, then did another set of both 45 &30 s running intervals with 30s walking until my cool down, I had planned on another set of 15/30 but at the end of the second set of 30/30 i was a little over 10 miles so i just started my cool down and walked until I hit 11. Despite a bit of additional walking on my cool down, this was my fastest long run to date at 13:47/mile. I will continue to play with walk/run ratios on my long runs the next few weeks trying to come up with a strategy for my next two halfs.

I'v done ok on the diet portion of the challenge, fortunately i had prepped my meals Friday night so Saturday and Sunday were pretty much no brainers. Calories and carbs were good both days, ate "lots" of calories yesterday, but over on carbs, partly because of my long run but mostly because I ended up having fast food last night on my way home from getting the rest of Patience's medicine.

@Mike_d85  Thanks, she bounced back really fast and was pretty much back to normal Tuesday afternoon but after her bout of HGE in September, I'm overcautious with anything GI.  

Wow its been a busy week, so far iv done pretty good sticking to my workout/eating goals, finally got a few short dog training sessions in yesterday/today. 14 minutes yesterday, 8 minutes today, cautiously mixing treats back into her diet, fortunately she is very food motivated and will usually accept kibble as a reward as long as there are a few treats mixed in here and there.

Tuesday was hills on the bike. It was cold and rainy so did these on the trainer, followed by Strength training and stretching.

Diet :2550 calories, 27% carbs, a little high for a "short" workout day. (Trying to stay 20-25% on short/rest days with 30% the upper limit on long days)

Wednesday was  a recovery day, 30 minutes on the trainer Zone 1 then stretching.

Food:2500 calories, 22%carbs

Today I had to go into work early so instead of run/walking the 15 minutes to THE HILL, I walked the 3 minutes to the Wellness center and did hills on the dreadmill. Using my previous hill workouts as a guide, I did 5 sets of 3 minutes at 3% incline and 12:00/mile, a steeper incline but slightly slower than THE HILL with 3 minutes easy walking in between. Hill number 6 was done at 4% incline for 3 minutes, same pace. I cut at least 30 minutes off my workout, but also "lost" 2 miles, but at least the WORK got done, I kind of felt like I could have done more if I had time and didn't have to do Strength as well. Finished with strength training and stretching at home.

Calories so far:  1523, with 2-3 "meals" to go.

On 2/9/2017 at 4:39 PM, Scatterbunn said:

LOL 18 halfs in a year? And i'm sitting her thinking what an busy (and expensive) year i have with 4-5 halfs, one of which could become a full (though looking less likely) and 6-10 bike rides. 

It would be a lot, but you could do it!

6 hours ago, Scatterbunn said:

Today I had to go into work early so instead of run/walking the 15 minutes to THE HILL, I walked the 3 minutes to the Wellness center and did hills on the dreadmill. Using my previous hill workouts as a guide, I did 5 sets of 3 minutes at 3% incline and 12:00/mile, a steeper incline but slightly slower than THE HILL with 3 minutes easy walking in between. Hill number 6 was done at 4% incline for 3 minutes, same pace. I cut at least 30 minutes off my workout, but also "lost" 2 miles, but at least the WORK got done, I kind of felt like I could have done more if I had time and didn't have to do Strength as well. Finished with strength training and stretching at home.

This is quite a work-out! How do you feel?

Class and Profession: Level 23 Borg Queen 

@Primeval I was a little sore/stiff at work last night if I sat too long, but otherwise not too bad. I usually do 30-60 minute of cardio before Strength training, but it's usually  cycling. Yesterday was definitely a bit more challenging, especially the first "circuit."  It seems like when I warm up with cycling, even on the days where its a hard cycling workout, things are nice and warm and loose but with running, im really tight when I start my squats (I'm currently using a paired down version of the Beginner Body Weight Workout, building reps). Ideally I try not to do strength on running days but it was the only way I could have a rest/recovery day today before my long ride tomorrow. It did help yesterday that while the "WORK"  part of the run was a bit more intense, the overall distance was significantly shorter. Last week when I ran THE HILL 5  times, total distance (including "travel") was 5 miles. Had I done the 6 repeats planned for yesterday at THE HILL my distance would have been 5.5-6 miles instead of 3.6.

Yesterday total calories: 2,525, 20% carbs BUT that's total carbs, not net and my fruit/veggie intake was quite low yesterday, only 1 piece of fruit and 2 servings of veggies.

I think I'm debating changing to a gram goal when it comes to carbs instead of percentage since my diet/eating plan/"carb goal" is based on "net" carbs, but MFP percentages is based on TOTAL carbs so it doesn't take into account 12g carbs from milk (no fiber) vs 12g from veg with 5g fiber so days when I eat a lot of veggies/high fiber foods it looks like I'm getting more carbs even though net may be lower. Of course this method will require a fairly uniform daily caloric intake and I'm still working out what my caloric needs are. According to two different calculators I should be maintaining on 2,400-2,500/day so far this week, I'v hit that every day but Sunday and I'v seen a very slight (.5 lb) loss in my 7 day average weight. That could be "real" or it could be normal fluctuation, its too soon to tell.

Todays workout of the day was a 5 mile recovery ride HR Zone 1 with stretching afterward. 

• Like 1

@Primeval So far iv been using a modified version of the Insulin Resistance Diet which limits carbs to 30g net carbs every 2-3 hours. However in the "actual" diet veggies and certain fruits like apples "don't count" so I actually eat much lower than the "official" diet. I typically eat 5-8 "meals" a day depending on things like my work schedule (what hours I am "on the clock," how many times I get called out in the night and the resulting impact on what time I get up in the morning, whether and when I get a chance to eat at work, etc) and which workout I have planned for the day (long run/ride day will be higher carb than short workout day). With the exception of Lunch, Supper and "workout" meals, I don't usually actually eat the full 30g of carbs at most meals. This seems to work well for controlling/moderating BG spikes/drops as well as carb/sugar cravings. I have been using percentages due to the high variability of my eating schedule. In theory based on 6 meals/day which is probably a good average I could eat 180g carbs. Looking at my diary for the past week, throwing out Monday and Saturday which were long workout days (and Monday was just nuts). I seem to be averaging about 115g "net"/day. I am working on moderating/reducing my carb use on long workouts but its a slow process. Also if I'm feeling like my sugar is off, (or I ate something new/"broke the rules") I will check it and occasionally adjust my next meal accordingly, either cutting carbs (or waiting another hour to eat) if for some reason its is "elevated" over 90-95 (a fairly conservative limit) or possibly increasing the planned carb content (but sticking to the 30 g limit) if it is in the low 70s or even in the 60s which happens sometimes after a hard/ long workout.

Maybe instead of a set carb limit I should just use the 30g/meal to account for the variability in my eating habits. I do know that keeping my carbs in check is more difficult/complicated right now that I'm trying to eat so many calories, I often think how easy it would be to get a milkshake/cookies/soda/cake, etc to boost my calorie count. (even though when i'm sticking to "the plan" carb wise, I have almost zero appetite for those things.)

• Like 1

So calories and carbs were both good on Friday.

Saturday was a 35-36 mile bike ride (forgot to restart Garmin after a break so  a little iffy on distance). The best thing I could say about the ride was that I finished. It was just one of those rides that I could have done without. Partly due to me changing things up a little and partly due to things beyond my control, I struggled much of the ride for one reason or another, and was really glad when it was over.

Calories were ok, carbs also within limits taking into account a higher level for on-bike nutrition.

Week1 recap:

Workout goals: 100%

Diet goals: 50% averaged 2500 cal/day which was good, but Mondays carbs were really bad (like embarrassing bad). Both my 7 day average and my Sunday Daily weight dropped one pound. GRRRRR looks like I'm increasing calories next week.

Dog training: 100% managed to sneak in the 30 minutes despite a sick dog Monday and continued diet restrictions.

Scrapbooking: NOPE

For this week, I'm increasing my calorie goal to 2600/day (minimum). With 30g "net" carb limit/meal and 30g/hr workout on my long rides/runs.

• Like 2

Saw this on Facebook, it perfectly describes my week since Saturday.

2017-02-21%2016.04.09_zps1oes3w95.png

I hit a wall on Saturday and feel like I'm still beating my head against it. I know part of the problem is work not letting me sleep, I also think the congestion in my head is trying to move into my chest. Really hoping I get past the blahs soon.

So far this week I have done pretty good on my diet, eating enough calories. Went out to eat with friends Sunday and went over my per-meal carbs at supper, total carbs for the day weren't too bad though (and 2,800 calories!!!). Yesterday per meal carbs were perfect and total carbs was only 108 w/2,650 calories. Today carbs will be a little higher because FRUIT!!  but over all I'm on track diet wise. (other than really not wanting to eat this much!).

Workouts:

Sunday I took the dog for a walk as a warmup (bonus points for combining workout and dog training goals!!) mainly because I was still a little tired from Saturday and because I knew Monday was a "long run" day. Did a quick full body strength session (about 15 mins) then started stretching. About 5 minutes into my stretching routine I hit a point where it was just "nope don't wana" so I cut it short, only stretching 10 minutes.

Monday woke up again with the don't wanas. But it was long run day and the plan was for decreasing miles this week any way so I made myself a deal to get out the door, I had to warm up and do 20 minutes of 15s/30s run/walk intervals then if I really wasn't feeling it I could just walk the rest of the 2 hour planned workout. Once I finished the 15s/30s I was actually feeling pretty good so I moved on to 30s/30s then 30s/15s which is where things fell apart. I only managed 10 minutes of 30/15 before I just couldn't do any more so I took a 5 minute walk break and tried again with 30/30 when I still struggled after another 15 minutes I cut back again to 15/30 before finally honoring the promise I made myself and walking the rest. Still managed to cover 8 miles, only one less than the planned 9, so over all not too bad, just kind of disappointing after how well last weeks long run went but I just have to remind myself that there was only one day between my long ride and long run this week. I also changed my fueling which was a total fail and probably contributed to the problem.  Finished up with my normal 20 minutes of stretching.

Original plan for the day was Hills on the bike, yesterday I thought I might do a One Minute ride instead. Today I once again had to push myself out the door since I may not have time to workout tomorrow and 2 days off =trouble. Did 5 mile easy ride at zone 1, followed by stretching. Felt ok during the ride but I'm glad I took it easy, really hoping I will feel up to the long ride planned on Thursday after taking it easy today and tomorrow.

10 minutes training in the back yard with Patience brings me to 15 minutes for the week. I had originally planned tomorrows workout to be a dog walk and stretching, but then I remembered we have class tomorrow so the walk is out, hoping to have time for very short bike ride then stretching but that will depend on how things go at work tonight.

14 hours ago, Scatterbunn said:

I had to warm up and do 20 minutes of 15s/30s run/walk intervals then if I really wasn't feeling it I could just walk the rest of the 2 hour planned workout. Once I finished the 15s/30s I was actually feeling pretty good so I moved on to 30s/30s then 30s/15s which is where things fell apart. I only managed 10 minutes of 30/15 before I just couldn't do any more so I took a 5 minute walk break and tried again with 30/30 when I still struggled after another 15 minutes I cut back again to 15/30 before finally honoring the promise I made myself and walking the rest. Still managed to cover 8 miles, only one less than the planned 9, so over all not too bad, just kind of disappointing after how well last weeks long run went but I just have to remind myself that there was only one day between my long ride and long run this week.

numbers-meme.jpg

JK, the most important part was that you made it through the door and got things done.

• Like 2

My Battle Log 

I'm on Strava for my running now.

Check out Kick! too.  You unlock gear with your progress on Strava.

But @Mike_d85 I LIKE numbers. LOL

I ended up not doing a workout on Wednesday partly due to work and Obedience class for the pup and partly due to just not wanting to.

Calories and carbs were both good for the day.

Thursday the plan was to get up early and get in a 3:30 hr/40 mi bike ride. Then do strength training in the afternoon. But once again work decided I really didn't need to sleep. So by the time I got up in the morning it was already getting pretty warm (high of 91 on Thursday, summer is going to be MISERABLE!!!).  So I put the ride off until the afternoon. I only got in 27 miles in 3 hours but I did a better job of staying zone 2 which considering the WIND was a true accomplishment. I probably under fueled slightly, eating only 1 LARA  bar over the course of the entire ride, I probably should have started eating it sooner so the fat and protein could have been digested and more available for energy, I'm still working out how to fuel without too many carbs.  Skipped stretching after the ride because I didn't feel like it, which isn't unusual for after a long ride, but doesn't usually start until I hit the 4-5hr mark. Still kind of fighting the blahs.

Calories and carbs were both good, went over carbs at Supper when I was doing math in my head and though I had enough carbs left for 1/2cup milk, ended up over by 1g. Not too bad and TOTALLY worth it. (Is it weird that the "carb" I miss/crave the most is milk? 12g/cup, nearly 1/2 my per-meal allowance and all sugar).

Friday morning I got up and ran hills on the dreadmill again. I had planned to do them outside but I was kind of lazy on Thursday so I had to do grocery shopping and meal prep for the weekend as well as a second workout in the afternoon. Basically a repeat of last weeks hills but with 7 intervals instead of 6. My plan is to add one hill/week until I start to taper for Dallas. In the afternoon I warmed up by taking Patience for a walk then did strength training and 10 minutes of stretching. Carbs and calories were both good.

I have slacked a bit on stretching this week and need to make sure to find time this weekend at work each day to do a full stretch routine. I have been working on increasing my sodium intake I think I have been a bit low and that may have been part of what has caused the blahs (along with sleep deprivation due to work) I have been eating close to 3,000mg but I noticed Wednesday that especially later in the evenings (when I typically eat lower sodium meals) I start getting the "unquenchable" thirst I had when I first cut carbs. So I started rotating NUUN tabs with a few shakes of the salt shaker in my water and not only am I less thirsty but Iv started feeling better (and also 2nights off work=SLEEP). 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Primeval said:

Sure you've heard about these rice cakes for fueling during bike rides... http://www.bonappetit.com/entertaining-style/trends-news/article/tour-de-france-cyclist-food In case you would like us to start calling you Scatter-Lance-Bunn

Some how I had never heard of those. I read the article and was kinda ehh, ok then I saw the mention of Speculoos rice cakes and im suddenly going cream cheese and cookie butter? Cookie Butter Cheescake Rice cakes!!! SCORE!! LOL. looking up recipes I found one with bacon and egg that looks like it would be great for a pre-ride breakfast, especially in the summer when I have to get out the door as quickly as possible to try to "beat the heat." I'll skip the whole "Lance" thing, no "special sauce" for me lol. Thanks for the link, I do carry gels for really long rides and "emergencies" but I prefer to fuel with "real" food as much as possible.

Week 2 update:

Fitness: 100% really struggled here this week, had a bad case of the blahs.

Diet: 95% went over per-meal carbs twice but overall did pretty well. Average daily intake: 2,650 cal/115carbs. Weight is up about 2 pounds this week I know this is mostly/entirely water weight and partly due to somewhat decreased activity but I'm hoping its a sign I'm finally close to the right calorie range for maintenance. I will keep my calorie goal the same this week and continue to monitor. I'm working on increasing calories per meal and spreading out the meals a bit when I can, hoping that will make eating less of a chore.

I'm also working on making a list I can keep on my phone of low carb/highish (600-1000) calorie restaurant/fast food meals for when I have to eat out. Five Guys has been my go-to when I go to town for shopping, etc, but no drive through means its not convenient with a dog in the car (like pre/post obedience class). Also the guy at the cash register now knows my order, considering I live an hour away, think that means i'm in there too often. Part of the problem is while I know there are things that I CAN make low/moderate carb, sometimes at that restaurant that's not what I WANT so I end up feeling deprived (even if I walk away stuffed).  I think with a "menu" it will be easier to walk in knowing what I can eat that I can also WANT.

Life: managed the 30 min dog training, still no progress on Scrapbooking.

• Like 1