Jump to content

Linguaphiles Annonymous :-)


Recommended Posts

If only Japan had decided to have an easier script I would have been so happy. :P

 

Or if it was only hiragana and katakana since that is manageable to learn.

 

I've been trying Memrise, and I'm quickly realizing I need to sit down and make flash cards of all the kanji they are throwing at me right now, plus do flashcards of the recent words because I need to make sure I can both translate it correctly, pronounce it and know what it looks like. With the way Memrise works, I can often guess right because the other options doesn't seem right. (It often gives four options, or when "free" writing it chooses the "letters"/"symbols" it shows and when you start doing sentences there are only the ones you need but scrambled so the only game you play is "which order do they come in" rather than the actual challenge of "what did that kanji look like again?".

  • Like 3

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

 

 Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Link to post
4 hours ago, Dagger said:

If only Japan had decided to have an easier script I would have been so happy. :P

 

Or if it was only hiragana and katakana since that is manageable to learn.

 

I've been trying Memrise, and I'm quickly realizing I need to sit down and make flash cards of all the kanji they are throwing at me right now, plus do flashcards of the recent words because I need to make sure I can both translate it correctly, pronounce it and know what it looks like. With the way Memrise works, I can often guess right because the other options doesn't seem right. (It often gives four options, or when "free" writing it chooses the "letters"/"symbols" it shows and when you start doing sentences there are only the ones you need but scrambled so the only game you play is "which order do they come in" rather than the actual challenge of "what did that kanji look like again?".

Are we doing the same lesson? I feel like I haven't seen any kanji yet - you could just also be really far ahead of me, though, too. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
26 minutes ago, shadowmoonsedai said:

Are we doing the same lesson? I feel like I haven't seen any kanji yet - you could just also be really far ahead of me, though, too. 

It seems there are two different versions of Japanese 1 from Memrise (this is not a user one). I noticed that before that you seem to do a different one. Maybe I should try yours because mine is kanji heavy and only today did it introduce some katakana.

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

 

 Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Link to post

Oh, wow, what an awesome thread.

I'm not sure I'd be able to follow through the whole challenge, but at least I'm going to hang around to be amazed by you all.

 

I'll do at least my introduction:

Hæ! Ég heiti Carme, og ég er frá Spáni. Ég er að læra íslensku, en ég tala bara svolitla íslensku. Það er mjög fallegt mál.

Spoiler

Hi! My name is Carme, and I'm from Spain. I'm learning icelandic, but I only speak a little. It is a very beautiful language.

 

By the way, @Severine, if you don't mind, because I haven't still read the whole thread and I don't know how are you going to do with corrections, I'd like to say your spanish was almost perfect. You only forgot about the articles in your last sentence. Me gustan las manzanas, los gatos y el té. How much time have you been studying it? And I see you studied latin and ancient greek! I did too, in highschool, but they're totally gone by now. I'd like to retake them some day and there is this project I'm very curious about: a guy developped a new method to learn latin as if it were a living language "lingua latina per se illustrata", and it looks pretty cool. I've checked the website and they seem to be doing the same with ancient greek now. How and why did you learn them? It's not a common choice.

  • Like 2

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

Link to post

Week 2 have begun!

 

The suggested challenge for this week is to decide on a number of words you will learn every day for the week and do your best to follow through!

 

~*~*~*~*~*~

 

Personally I will aim for 5, but only if I take my iPad with me when I go traveling tomorrow. I have not yet decided what electronics I will take with me on my two week trip, but I'll only study Japanese if I have the tablet with me because that is where I have the apps for the studying. Since I'm deciding today what I'll take with me, I'll know by end of day.

  • Like 2

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

 

 Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Link to post

I've joined the group on Memrise. I just wanted to check out what it was, but it seems that clicking on it automatically joins you. Or I did something weird. Anyway, I've been using memrise for a long while but never joined a group and I don't know how it works. Can anybody explain?

  • Like 2

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

Link to post
On 9/2/2017 at 11:02 AM, Dagger said:

@zenLara: Icelandic

Thank you for adding me!

Can you add that I'd wish to be corrected too? In the hypothetical case that an icelandic lost soul would come to NF? (there was one guy some time ago, but he left *cries*)

  • Like 2

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

Link to post
1 minute ago, zenLara said:

Thank you for adding me!

Can you add that I'd wish to be corrected too? In the hypothetical case that an icelandic lost soul would come to NF? (there was one guy some time ago, but he left *cries*)

Of course.

 

*goes to fix*

 

Done. :)

 

I'm sorry Swedish have evolved too much for me to help. ^___^

  • Like 1

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

 

 Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Link to post
On 2/18/2017 at 4:52 PM, fleaball said:

For example, everywhere @PollyannaAgain wrote 'a, some people would use 3 because it looks like the Arabic letter. 

Numbers are typically used in text speak when you don't have an Arabic keyboard. My favorite example is 7abibi for "my dear/love." :D I'd be very surprised to see someone use them in transliteration in general! Though it's very possible since using numbers is common among younger speakers and those younger speakers are growing up...I personally would have preferred to use IPA instead of mangled English transliteration, but I figured this way was more accessible...(and also, I can't get my work computer to type IPA without IT intervention...)

 

On 2/18/2017 at 4:52 PM, fleaball said:

Although I did learn a thing. Instead of  عمري I would have used عندي and after googling a bit I'm not sure where that came from. Unless I'm just applying French/Spanish grammar here. It's been way too long, ugh.

I think this might be Romance language interference. I started to use عندي also, but then realized I didn't remember ever using it that way in Arabic before. I searched my texts and Googled, but couldn't find any examples with عندي, so I stuck with عمري. :) 

8 hours ago, zenLara said:

Thank you for adding me!

Can you add that I'd wish to be corrected too? In the hypothetical case that an icelandic lost soul would come to NF? (there was one guy some time ago, but he left *cries*)

Icelandic!!! I'd love to do that one! It's on my list, but I probably won't start until after I've worked on Norwegian for a bit. :( What kinds of resources are you using? I've noticed there's not a lot!

 

8 hours ago, Dagger said:

Week 2 have begun!

 

The suggested challenge for this week is to decide on a number of words you will learn every day for the week and do your best to follow through!

I'm doing 10/day/language (60/day total). It seems okay right now, but I'm definitely cutting back when I run out of words I've seen from previous study!

  • Like 1

Battle Log: PollyannaAgain's Log

 

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence. ~Helen Keller


Problems are not the problem; coping is the problem. ~Virginia Satir

Link to post
14 minutes ago, PollyannaAgain said:

Numbers are typically used in text speak when you don't have an Arabic keyboard. My favorite example is 7abibi for "my dear/love." :D I'd be very surprised to see someone use them in transliteration in general! Though it's very possible since using numbers is common among younger speakers and those younger speakers are growing up...I personally would have preferred to use IPA instead of mangled English transliteration, but I figured this way was more accessible...(and also, I can't get my work computer to type IPA without IT intervention...)

I swear that's what I meant. Maybe I should focus on using English properly before anything else. :rolleyes: 

  • Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

                                                                                                                                                                 Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Link to post
13 hours ago, PollyannaAgain said:

What kinds of resources are you using? I've noticed there's not a lot!

Resources can be found. There are many published books, and there are some useful free resources made by icelandic linguists (videos, audios, books). Rather than the materials, the problem is finding someone to talk to, or even to find someone to correct your texts or answer your questions at language websites. Both things are almost impossible. I spent some time at lang-8, only to find that I had to wait for months until someone would review my texts. All this makes progress to be slow.

  • Like 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

Link to post
8 minutes ago, Phoenix91 said:

I'm a little late to this but i'd love to join if you'll have me.  I'm learning Romanian. I'll post my intro when i get home (if someone could quickly tell me how to do the hidden content thing i'd appreciate it :))

I think there's a button on the right end of the line of buttons. It might look like an eye? That's only on the desktop site though. Otherwise 

 

[ spoiler ]text here[ /spoiler ] without the spaces. 

 

Also this is unrelated but I'm jealous of your profile pic. :)

  • Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

                                                                                                                                                                 Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Link to post
34 minutes ago, fleaball said:

I think there's a button on the right end of the line of buttons. It might look like an eye? That's only on the desktop site though. Otherwise 

 

[ spoiler ]text here[ /spoiler ] without the spaces. 

 

Also this is unrelated but I'm jealous of your profile pic. :)

 

Thanks!  

 

My profile pic makes me smile every time, such lovely men.  

 

Okay so... Ma numesc Vicki.  Sunt englez dar locuiesc în Ohio statele unite ale Americii.  Vorbesc si înteleg putin româna.

 

my name is Vicki. I am English but I live in Ohio, USA.  I speak and understand a little romanian.

 

hopefully I did that right.  There are some accents missing from t's and s's but my iPad keyboard doesn't have them :/

 

I've been keeping a journal all in romanian of poems and little things I find.  I might not understand them but writing them down is fun :). I also try to do a list of things I'm grateful for everyday in my journal, it means I can learn a few new words and make the end of my day a little more positive.  

  • Like 4
Link to post

How does everyone keep a record of new vocab learned?

 

I've only been learning Romanian for about 4 months, so far i've got a notebook with vocab written in it in romanian and english; i also recently started a journal entirely in romanian, it has poems, sayings and fun things i find.

 

I think i need to restructure my new words in some way to make it easier to keep track of/more accessible.

Link to post
8 minutes ago, Phoenix91 said:

How does everyone keep a record of new vocab learned?

 

I've only been learning Romanian for about 4 months, so far i've got a notebook with vocab written in it in romanian and english; i also recently started a journal entirely in romanian, it has poems, sayings and fun things i find.

 

I think i need to restructure my new words in some way to make it easier to keep track of/more accessible.

I keep mine in a Google spreadsheet. I like being able to access it from anywhere, plus, I can search it and sort it. It's good to know what columns you want if you decide to go that way. For example, I keep a separate column for the source/textbook and for the chapter so I can filter things when necessary. You can look at mine here if you want. It's got some presently unused columns in it because I was making a flashcard app in App Inventor that I haven't quite given up on yet...https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1X4rh3ZhIm31zxW0ShlJVGYa1jEd8wcXz2KyOr9a4gNM/edit?usp=sharing

  • Like 1

Battle Log: PollyannaAgain's Log

 

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence. ~Helen Keller


Problems are not the problem; coping is the problem. ~Virginia Satir

Link to post
5 hours ago, PollyannaAgain said:

I keep mine in a Google spreadsheet. I like being able to access it from anywhere, plus, I can search it and sort it. It's good to know what columns you want if you decide to go that way. For example, I keep a separate column for the source/textbook and for the chapter so I can filter things when necessary. You can look at mine here if you want. It's got some presently unused columns in it because I was making a flashcard app in App Inventor that I haven't quite given up on yet...https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1X4rh3ZhIm31zxW0ShlJVGYa1jEd8wcXz2KyOr9a4gNM/edit?usp=sharing

 

Thanks, your spreadsheet is awesome.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
On 2/20/2017 at 5:56 AM, Dagger said:

Week 2 have begun!

 

The suggested challenge for this week is to decide on a number of words you will learn every day for the week and do your best to follow through!

I have Memrise set to 5/day per language (so 15 total) but that includes review words. I'm just trying to keep up right now, haha. 

 

I'm currently listening to a podcast called 'One Bad Mother', which is usually two women but today is one woman and her husband as a guest. They are raising their kids with Mom speaking English and Dad only speaking Swedish, which sounds interesting. I have an offspring who is starting to come into her linguistic abilities, so we watch a lot of subtitled anime - but I don't actually know how much she gets from that. It's a really interesting listen! 

  • Like 2
Link to post

Our thingy for this week is:

Share a favorite language learning resource people might not know about (and tell us why it is great).

 

I don't actually have a language learning resource in particular that I use. I mostly find video/audio clips that I want to use from YouTube and use books for everything else, though the Memrise forums are a good resource for finding other resources!

  • Like 1

Battle Log: PollyannaAgain's Log

 

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence. ~Helen Keller


Problems are not the problem; coping is the problem. ~Virginia Satir

Link to post
51 minutes ago, PollyannaAgain said:

Our thingy for this week is:

Share a favorite language learning resource people might not know about (and tell us why it is great).

I've espoused my new love of Memrise enough, so I'll second YouTube as a great resource. It's a good place to find native-language media to practice your listening skills, such as commercials, music and TV shows. For Japanese, I use CrunchyRoll a lot, not only for anime but also live-action dramas and comedies. 

  • Like 2
Link to post

I'm late, I'm late!  But it's because I'm usually antisocial and didn't know you guys were even here! And it is hard to practice language with anybody unless I pay for a college class (blerg) so I am excited to see you here. I have been trying to learn French for the past few years because I married into a family with Francophones. You would think that makes it easier, but it doesn't. They don't want to listen to my terrible French! Ha. :) 

 

I have no thingy that people don't know about, I only use the things you know about... the resources I use the most are Duolingo and Google translate. Although lately I have started getting into reading small texts, like poems or songs that I already know in English, and comparing them to the English version. It is interesting to observe the different turn of phrase and slight changes in meanings between them. I once found a class at a local library, which was nice but fast paced and a bit above my level. I am terrible at the verbal skills and have tried getting into YouTube and foreign films, but I just can't understand what people are saying still. :(  I can't hear the sounds well enough, especially for French.  So that is why I still have a heavy reliance on Duolingo, since it has the written and the verbal, and I can push a button to make them speak even slower than normal speed.

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
14 minutes ago, CallunaTook said:

I'm late, I'm late!  But it's because I'm usually antisocial and didn't know you guys were even here! And it is hard to practice language with anybody unless I pay for a college class (blerg) so I am excited to see you here. I have been trying to learn French for the past few years because I married into a family with Francophones. You would think that makes it easier, but it doesn't. They don't want to listen to my terrible French! Ha. :) 

 

I have no thingy that people don't know about, I only use the things you know about... the resources I use the most are Duolingo and Google translate. Although lately I have started getting into reading small texts, like poems or songs that I already know in English, and comparing them to the English version. It is interesting to observe the different turn of phrase and slight changes in meanings between them. I once found a class at a local library, which was nice but fast paced and a bit above my level. I am terrible at the verbal skills and have tried getting into YouTube and foreign films, but I just can't understand what people are saying still. :(  I can't hear the sounds well enough, especially for French.  So that is why I still have a heavy reliance on Duolingo, since it has the written and the verbal, and I can push a button to make them speak even slower than normal speed.

 

 

It can be helpful to watch stuff in your target language even if you don't understand it because you're still getting used to the sound and flow of the language. Music is good too because sometimes they overneunciate. If you're into musicals, I highly recommend Roméo et Juliette and Notre Dame de Paris (which is def on YouTube with subtitles on screen in English and other languages). 

  • Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

                                                                                                                                                                 Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Link to post
12 hours ago, fleaball said:

It can be helpful to watch stuff in your target language even if you don't understand it because you're still getting used to the sound and flow of the language. Music is good too because sometimes they overneunciate. If you're into musicals, I highly recommend Roméo et Juliette and Notre Dame de Paris (which is def on YouTube with subtitles on screen in English and other languages). 

 

I agree, i watched a documentary in Romanian about WW2 concentration camps on youtube; it was subtitled and i really didn't understand much but it was helpful to hear natives speaking.

 

I use youtube a lot, there's a channel 'learn Romanian with Nico', she's fun and does bite sized videos and little shorts with her buddy. I mostly listen to pimsleur, i listen at work and in the car.  I also have a learning manual and exercise book i got from Romania, mostly because trying to find resources in the US is tough, so i went to the source. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
23 hours ago, fleaball said:

It can be helpful to watch stuff in your target language even if you don't understand it because you're still getting used to the sound and flow of the language. Music is good too because sometimes they overneunciate. If you're into musicals, I highly recommend Roméo et Juliette and Notre Dame de Paris (which is def on YouTube with subtitles on screen in English and other languages). 

 

 

Thanks!  I'll look into that.

 

10 hours ago, Phoenix91 said:

I use youtube a lot, there's a channel 'learn Romanian with Nico', she's fun and does bite sized videos and little shorts with her buddy. I mostly listen to pimsleur, i listen at work and in the car.  I also have a learning manual and exercise book i got from Romania, mostly because trying to find resources in the US is tough, so i went to the source.

 
 
 

 

My roommate is learning Romanian. He has a lot of good things to say about an app called Mondly. He says it doesn't show up if you search "mondly" but it will if you search "learn Romanian for free."

  • Like 3
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines