• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Brovatar Korra

Brovatar Korra's Quest for Championship Gold

1. FIGHT OWENS BROVATAR KORRA FIGHT!

rs-196584-NXT_02182015ej_3312.jpg

Continue following training program for powerlifting meet March 18th, 2017. I am now in week 9 of 14. Stick to the program! But also doing a Strongman competition for fun February 25th LOL. My PL coach is nonplussed with this decision, but also hey I'm throwing all these weights around to have fun and who the fuck cares as long as it's still fun, right? It's not like I've got sponsorships on the line or anything. After doing a Strongman Saturday last weekend I was hooked all over again. Also winning first place would not be too shabby. I would earn an invite to USS nationals!

2. NEW DAY NEW WAY!

New-Day.jpg?width=960

For now I am going to keep logging weight and macros in MFP, and stick to overall calorie goal. Will hopefully be updating this soon with more details as I am currently seeking out the services of a nutritionist that provides meal plans.

3. PR CITY

aa892b1986c7935fafd24e152a47a305.jpg

Someone did this last challenge (sorry I forgot which warrior!) and I liked the idea so much I'm stealing it. Goal is at least 3 PRs per week. "PR" could be for reps, for volume, or just trying a new exercise. (If it is the first time you try it, it's a PR!). Also I just love Charlotte Flair.

4. Climb that Career Ladder!

MFCpA.gif

Time to finish pharmacy school! Only three more months, woohoo! All my residency interviews are now complete. I'll find out on March 17th if/where I was accepted. Talk about a crazy headspace the day before a competition. Thems the breaks. Goal is to not slack off, gotta still study for my licensure exam.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

Continue following training program for powerlifting meet March 18th, 2017. I am now in week 9 of 14. Stick to the program! But also doing a Strongman competition for fun February 25th LOL. My PL coach is nonplussed with this decision, but also hey I'm throwing all these weights around to have fun and who the fuck cares as long as it's still fun, right? It's not like I've got sponsorships on the line or anything. 

Quoted for the muthertrucking TRUTH. 

If it's not fun, what is the point? 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

Continue following training program for powerlifting meet March 18th, 2017. I am now in week 9 of 14. Stick to the program! But also doing a Strongman competition for fun February 25th LOL. My PL coach is nonplussed with this decision, but also hey I'm throwing all these weights around to have fun and who the fuck cares as long as it's still fun, right? It's not like I've got sponsorships on the line or anything. After doing a Strongman Saturday last weekend I was hooked all over again. Also winning first place would not be too shabby. I would earn an invite to USS nationals!

I wonder why.......

:lol:

Good luck and have fun!

• Like 1

Tuesday: practiced Trap Bar carries for distance. My grip is so weak! 225# I could run 40 feet okay. At 275# I couldn't get more than a few steps. This tells me I Better get some actual farmers practice runs in too.

Also did some power snatches while I was waiting for the previous dude to finish with the trap bar.

Wednesday: Bench with husband!

I hit 175# 4x4, made all the reps! PR Number One! Was struggling at the end, definitely topping out now. Plan is 180 next week, it's probably time to drop to triples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Thursday 2/09: SKWAATS

Last week I did 255 4x4. So goal this time was 260 4x4. As I got up to 225 I realized this felt tougher than usual. Then I remembered I squatted the last 2 weeks in knee sleeves. And this time I did them without.

PSA - squatting without knee sleeves is harder than squatting WITH knee sleeves!

45x5, 135x5, 185x3, 225x3, then...

I did 260 3x3, and then for extra volume 225 4x3. The 260s were tough but I got em done, the 225's felt really solid!

My husband introduced me to a new wrestler today and he is immediately my favorite. Tyler Bate. He's from the UK, he just won the WWE United Kingdom Championship. He has cultivated this classic old-timey strongman look and I. AM. SMITTEN.

Tyler-Bate-782704.jpg

Tyler-Bate.jpg

• Like 5

Saturday - I had to work in the morning so no strongman :( I did get in an overhead workout after my shift.

1. Strict Press

45x5, 75x5, 95x3, 110x3, 120x1, 130x1, 135x2 -yay new personal best, and I did it for a double!

2. Push press 135 3x3

3. Push jerks - just to make sure I don't forget how to do them LOL. 95x3, 105x3, 115x3

4. A bunch of tricep pushdowns

5. A bunch of face pulls

Sunday -

I should first mention that Saturday was my husband's birthday, and we stayed out until 4am playing pinball and ski ball and drinking (which happens so seldomly, but everyone was having such a great time!) I paid for it this morning, but I knew I had to go DL no matter what.

1. Sumo DL worked up to 275x5! That is a new personal best yay!

2. Dimel DL 95# 4x20

3. Pendlay Rows 95# 4x10

4. Turkish Sit Ups with 12# sandbag 4x10 (each side)

5. Supermans 4x25

- after main lift, exercises 2-5 were done as a circuit

So far this week I've hit the following PRs:

1. BP 175 4x4

2. Strict Press 135x2

3. Squats for total volume in one workout (7600#)

4. Sumo DL 275x5

5. Locked out a 100# keg overhead press

Good zero week!

Your awesome wrestler of the day is... ASUKA! She does a flying hip attack that makes me giggle every time. Also, TAKE THAT BAYLEY.

035_NXT_04012016mm_1689-0ce9753a76a04214

• Like 1

DL PR after staying out all night? BOOM! I really need some excuses to go out and play pinball. So much fun. 

I like how you are keeping a list of your PRs like that. Very motivational. And a great idea. 

• Like 1

Tuesday 2/14: husband went to the gym with me! Super romantic. It was us and like 5 other dudes. Which was great no waiting!

1. Front Squats - 45x5, 95x5, 115x5, 135x5, 155x5

2. Tried to hold the BB like a zercher hold to mimic the Conan's Wheel. I was just going to hold for time. But I did not factor in that the thinner diameter BB really cuts into your arms, even at like 185#. So I nixed that.

3. Attempting to mimic car deadlift, I used the seated/standing shrug machine. I liked this more than the trap bar DL because you can lean back to lift the handles, it is a much closer movement pattern.

185x8, 225x8, 275x8, 315x10 (didn't go any higher because I didn't have my belt with me, but next time I'm bringing my belt and going to try to work up to 400)

EXCITING NEWS EVERYONE!

IT IS OFFICIAL I hired a nutrition coach and I am very excited about it! After getting A LOT of info (seriously very thorough, already a good sign) she crafted a 2 week meal plan for me, which I'm starting tomorrow. Will reassess at 2 weeks to see how my body reacts.

On 2/13/2017 at 2:05 PM, brutalbears said:

You need more John Cena in your wrestling challenge...

Agreed.

0811355001474548041_filepicker.jpg

john-cena-seth-rollins-wwe-survivor-seri

brock-lesnar-vs-john-cena-at-summerslam.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brovatar Korra said:

Tuesday 2/14: husband went to the gym with me! Super romantic. It was us and like 5 other dudes. Which was great no waiting!

1. Front Squats - 45x5, 95x5, 115x5, 135x5, 155x5

2. Tried to hold the BB like a zercher hold to mimic the Conan's Wheel. I was just going to hold for time. But I did not factor in that the thinner diameter BB really cuts into your arms, even at like 185#. So I nixed that.

3. Attempting to mimic car deadlift, I used the seated/standing shrug machine. I liked this more than the trap bar DL because you can lean back to lift the handles, it is a much closer movement pattern.

185x8, 225x8, 275x8, 315x10 (didn't go any higher because I didn't have my belt with me, but next time I'm bringing my belt and going to try to work up to 400)

EXCITING NEWS EVERYONE!

IT IS OFFICIAL I hired a nutrition coach and I am very excited about it! After getting A LOT of info (seriously very thorough, already a good sign) she crafted a 2 week meal plan for me, which I'm starting tomorrow. Will reassess at 2 weeks to see how my body reacts.

This all looks awesome!

Front-Squats:  I get the impression you do not do them very often.  This is based on my thinking my squat numbers are similar to yours.  How is your elbow mobility?

Good luck with the nutrition coach!

1 hour ago, Sam Ashen said:

Front-Squats:  I get the impression you do not do them very often.  This is based on my thinking my squat numbers are similar to yours.  How is your elbow mobility?

You are correct. I have hardly incorporated them lately and thus they have suffered greatly. Once, last year I tested a 1RM and it was 200#, but I'm not sure if I could hit that now. And my elbow mobility is probably terrible. How do you test that / improve it? Any tips? Like when I front squat my forearms are almost vertical up and down LOL. I also have a very short upper arm (biceps/triceps) so if I put my hands in the front rack position with my elbows pointed forward my fingers go past the back of my shoulders. T REX ARMS!

32cb998d47649a7fc2a5d26efb05fd0c.jpg

Wed 2/15: BENCH!

45x5, 95x5, 135x5, 155x5, 170x1, 180x4, 180x4, 180x3, 180x3, 160x5

Total Volume: 5,640

- New best for 4 reps, yay! I considered 180 4x4 but could tell after the second set it was going to be a real grinder so rather than risk missing I did last 2 sets triples and a drop set to bump up the total volume.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

EXCITING NEWS EVERYONE!

Yeah, a nutrition plan! I'm excited for you. :) Guidance is always appreciated. And plus it seems like, at least to me, when we have "professional" giving us a food plan we are more likely to stick to it*. I could be wrong, but you seem like that kind of person. 

*caveat is 80 year old grandpas who are like DON'T YOU TELL ME HOW TO EAT LITTLE LADY

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

You are correct. I have hardly incorporated them lately and thus they have suffered greatly. Once, last year I tested a 1RM and it was 200#, but I'm not sure if I could hit that now. And my elbow mobility is probably terrible. How do you test that / improve it? Any tips? Like when I front squat my forearms are almost vertical up and down LOL. I also have a very short upper arm (biceps/triceps) so if I put my hands in the front rack position with my elbows pointed forward my fingers go past the back of my shoulders. T REX ARMS!

Hmm......  Practicing with a front-rack position will help with the mobility.

Also.  Wrist mobility.  My wrist mobility happens to be very good.  (All my troll friends are free to exploit this on my thread.)

Next.  You do understand that the weight is supported by the shoulders, correct?  So the first bunch of times I did front-squats, I got nice bruises on my shoulders.

Another option if you do not have any motivation to develop a clean and jerk is a bodybuilder style of front-squat.  That is where you cross your arms to stabilize the weight.

Yet another option is to use your straps to stabilize the weight.  I don't know anything about this because I never use lifting straps.  My best understanding is it gives you more room to get that rack position in.

After that, it is progressions.  Can you get a rack position with one finger on the bar?  Two fingers on the bar?  That's all you need, especially if you are not jerking the bar after that.

I can get the position with a hook grip still intact, but I have a lot of wrist mobility.

• Like 1

Yeah, a nutrition plan! I'm excited for you.  Guidance is always appreciated. And plus it seems like, at least to me, when we have "professional" giving us a food plan we are more likely to stick to it*. I could be wrong, but you seem like that kind of person. 

*caveat is 80 year old grandpas who are like DON'T YOU TELL ME HOW TO EAT LITTLE LADY

Could not agree more! Was up late last night batch cooking but I am so ready for this weekend!

Gasp that's all John cena getting hurt! I some how blocked out all times where he got hit in my childhood lol.v

LOL I'm just trolling don't mind me.

17 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

My wrist mobility happens to be very good.  (All my troll friends are free to exploit this on my thread.)

That's what happens if you don't do some Crossfit partner WOD every once in a while. 

Spoiler

(Meh, your parenthesis really took away a big part of the fun...)

But exploiting a different thread kinda makes it fun too...

Sorry Brovatar!

• Like 1

On 2/16/2017 at 9:38 AM, Sam Ashen said:

Hmm......  Practicing with a front-rack position will help with the mobility.

Also.  Wrist mobility.  My wrist mobility happens to be very good.  (All my troll friends are free to exploit this on my thread.)

Next.  You do understand that the weight is supported by the shoulders, correct?  So the first bunch of times I did front-squats, I got nice bruises on my shoulders.

Another option if you do not have any motivation to develop a clean and jerk is a bodybuilder style of front-squat.  That is where you cross your arms to stabilize the weight.

Yet another option is to use your straps to stabilize the weight.  I don't know anything about this because I never use lifting straps.  My best understanding is it gives you more room to get that rack position in.

After that, it is progressions.  Can you get a rack position with one finger on the bar?  Two fingers on the bar?  That's all you need, especially if you are not jerking the bar after that.

I can get the position with a hook grip still intact, but I have a lot of wrist mobility.

Thanks! Yes the bar is up on my shoulders. Usually it is so close to my neck I get a red mark on my neck/upper chest from the knurling. I'm trying to avoid the crossed-arms squat if I can. I have used straps before they are helpful, they had some specifically for weightlifting at my old gym. Maybe I should invest in a pair...

I'm going to do a video next chance I have and upload for a form check. That might help suss things out too. Thanks for the feedback!

Thursday 2/16

Practiced farmer's carries with some strongman buddies, fun! We did 50 ft runs. All the weights are per hand:

Warm ups: just then handles (40# per hand), 60, 90, 110

Then we did the contest weights like a BAZILLION times (okay maybe 10 runs total) 130, 140, 150

My best time was 10 point something seconds, yeah!

Friday - much needed rest!

My husband and I went to see Bridget Everett perform her Pound It! tour. If you don't know who she is, she is amazing! She is the cabaret singer on "Inside Amy Schumer" and she played Maria Bamford's friend on Lady Dynamite. She recently released an album... her tour performance is singing/dancing/burlesque/stand-up/all around badass-ness. She was also in the movie Trainwreck (and kind of the only good part of that movie IMO...)

bridget_everett_h_0316.d0172cf47fb926200

NUTRITION UPDATE!!!

You guys.

You guys.

I have lost almost 6 pounds since the beginning of February. (224 -> 217.4)

I can't even. This program. It is insanely effective.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

OMG I looked and she's coming to Michigan in Oct around my birthday time. I know what needs to happen. ;)

yay for the program working. That's amazing!!!!!! Time to celebrate!!! But with MOAR lifting and not with cake. :P

• Like 1

Week One Recap:

1. FIGHT OWENS BROVATAR KORRA FIGHT!

tumblr_nghda56xVp1sbzhteo1_400.gif

Powerlifting programming is coming along nicely. Almost finished with my big volume block, going to start peaking next week. Slight hiccup because I decided to do a Strongman comp this Saturday (Feb 25th) but it really doesn't interfere with too much. Still going to squat Tues and bench Wed, then take Thurs/Fri off. I had a chance last Saturday to play with all the implements so I'm confident I'll be able to do a bit of everything and have fun! I even got 2 reps in a row on the car deadlift with the Toyota Corolla, which is heaver than the last one I did! I got some great advice from a veteran to help me fix my technique, and it made a big difference! Basically had to completely stop thinking of the movement as a "Deadlift" but more like a leg press.

2. NEW DAY NEW WAY!

tumblr_nsw7oloL081srbyoyo1_400.gif

I am SUPER EXCITED about my new nutrition program! Day 5 and I am already seeing results. I was able to get to the 4th notch on my belt (usually can only hit 3). I have also leveled up my batch cooking by acquiring AN INSTANT POT YEAAAAAAAH. I baked 3 chicken breasts last night IN 15 MINUTES!!! I baked a sweet potato in 12 MINUTES!!!

3. PR CITY

67c03252b831d8e89dccbb42d0ec6b6484c6788d

- Car deadlift x2 reps (heaviest car I've ever lifted twice!)

- Bench 180x4 twice (heaviest set of 4 ever completed!)

- Deadlift 240x4 plus bands (heaviest DL weight with bands completed for set of 4!)

4. Climb that Career Ladder!

tumblr_nglpcpIRSm1rnjfjfo1_r1_400.gif

Finished and submitted all my paperwork for the last rotation, and just started my second to last rotation today. Definitely need to refresh my memory on common inpatient/critical care medications.

• Like 3