Brovatar Korra's Quest for Championship Gold

TUES 2/21:

SKWAATS

Worked up to 265 for 3x3 with knee sleeves. These did not feel great. For some reason my right hip started hurting and then my right glute started hurting and I thought, I bet if I do another set something is going to tear so I stopped. Lots of rolling out and stretching today. It starts to hurt if I sit for more than 20-30 minutes. I have no idea what is going on, it is like a deep socket pain. My plan is to just rest and hope it feels good on Saturday morning for the competition. STUPID BODY! WHY DO YOU BETRAY ME.

WEDNESDAY 2/22:

BENCH PRESS

Worked up to 185 for 3, and also did 165 for a few sets with bands. I love bench press! Definitely breaking 200 at the meet.

i-superset-bench-with-bench.jpg

Accessory work: 4 sets of 10-12 on everything

1. KB 25# OHP

2. Rear delt flys 8#

3. The thingy where you lay at an angle on your chest and pull the weight on a bar up to your chest. It works your back. 185#

4. Bicep curls 15#

5. Tricep push downs with rope 30#

• Like 5

Strongman Competition Write Up!

Austin's Strongest Savage USS was hosted by Big Tex Gym and held at Rogue American Apparel outside of Austin, Texas. I knew all three of the women I was competing against, and we are all friends so it was such a fun day! My husband had to stay home and study so I didn't get many photos/videos.

1. Overhead Press Medley - Axle Bar C&P 113#, Keg 80#, 100#, 120#, 60 sec cap

I got the axle and the 80 right away, but then I struggled on the 100. It got stuck on my chest and I couldn't lock it out :( I was mad because I hit 100 in practice several times. Only 1/4 women got the 100# keg. It was also set up in basically a gravel pit, which made foot positioning unsteady.

2. Conan's Wheel - 375#, no drops, 60 sec cap

I knew I was in trouble right when I picked it, I didn't get the bar high enough. Thus it started slipping right away and it fell out of my hands after only 2 rotations. Not my best performance :( To be honest though, even with a perfect pick the most I would have got is 3-4, which still wouldn't have won (best was 5 and change).

3. Sorinex center mass bell for height - 35#

We all knew this would a tough event, it started at 8 feet. One woman was out right away. Then the three of us remaining all hit 9 feet, but we all had to take our "mulligan." So at 10 feet we all went out, and 3/4 of us tied. The point spread at this point in the competition is really close!

4. Keg 120# / Farmer Carry 130# per hand medley - 50 feet each way for time, unlimited drops, 60 second cap

I was so proud of my performance in this event! This was also a super close race, the difference between first and fourth place was only 2 seconds. I ended up third, second place beat me by less than half a second! Even though I didn't win the event I am happy because I did everything right! I carried the objects well and I transitioned correctly and I didn't lose any time with stumbles or drops. And I got a video of this one!

5. Car Deadlift- Toyota Corrolla, estimated 400-450# weight in hand, 60 sec cap

At this point in the day first place had 13 points, I was tied for second with 10 points, and fourth place had 6 points. The only way for me or the other lady to take first would be to win the event AND first place zeroed the event, which of course wasn't going to happen so we were battling for second. Unfortunately for me, the lady I was tied with happens to be Queen of the Car Deadlifts so I already knew the outcome of the day. No worries though, my goal was to beat my previous car deadlift record! I have done four strongman comps, (five including this one) and in 2 of them there was a car deadlift. And I zeroed the event both times. Last week in practice I got 2 reps, so my goal today was to beat that. And I did! 5 REPS WOOHOO!

After about 30 seconds my straps slipped, and then once I lost my momentum it was over I couldn't get any more.

STRONGMAN GOALS OF THE DAY:

1. Have fun - CHECK!

2. Stay safe and injury free - CHECK!

3. Mentally accept the fact that you entered at the last second, trained all of 1.5 weeks for these events and know that is going to limit performance - BEGRUDGINGLY CHECKED

4. Be helpful to novices - SUPER CHECK!

My favorite moment of the day was when we were all warming up for car deadlifts. A lady in the novice division went up to the car, tried to pull it once. It didn't budge, so she started to slink off. I went up and asked, "have you ever done car deadlifts before?" She said no so I gave her a few tips, "think of it as a leg press, lean way back, chest upright etc." So she tried it again and it came up and her face lit up and I was like, "yeah just like that!" When the event started and it was her turn I was watching and she got SIX REPS! I started jumping up and down in the crowd and told my friend "I taught her that!" It was great.

Really the only downside of the day was my forehead got really sunburned. Ouch.

• Like 8
8 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

4. Be helpful to novices - SUPER CHECK!

My favorite moment of the day was when we were all warming up for car deadlifts. A lady in the novice division went up to the car, tried to pull it once. It didn't budge, so she started to slink off. I went up and asked, "have you ever done car deadlifts before?" She said no so I gave her a few tips, "think of it as a leg press, lean way back, chest upright etc." So she tried it again and it came up and her face lit up and I was like, "yeah just like that!" When the event started and it was her turn I was watching and she got SIX REPS! I started jumping up and down in the crowd and told my friend "I taught her that!" It was great.

This is awesome!  Well played!!! :D

• Like 1

Felt really good today so I decided to squat with my coach. Really the only thing sore from Saturday are my traps. I worked up to 3RM of 290# which is 5 better than my previous best! Coach thinks I can hit 300 for 3 when I'm not fatigued from a weekend STRONGMAN COMPETITION. She chided me a bit was mostly happy I had fun and didn't hurt myself.

Accessories: 50% front squats, kettle bell swings, glute raises, Russian MB twists.

Also on the nutrition front - this new plan is working so well for me! Day 12 and As of this morning down to 217.8, down almost 7# since starting and the lowest my weight has been in 3 months. Huzzah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

So I'm sure you are all as excited for the Arnold Sports Festival as I am. It is happening this weekend, and there are so many amazing strongman things happening.

1. Arnold Strongman Classic

- this is the pro men competing: Hafthor, Brian Shaw, Dimitar Savatinov. I was really sad to hear that Big Z hurt himself and had to drop out. I hope this is the year Hafthor finally takes first prize!

2. Arnold Amateur Strongman World Championships

- Super excited to watch the women's heavyweight on FloElite. And use it as inspiration to set some new goals.

3. THIS IS SO COOL! THE FIRST EVER ARNOLD PRO STRONGWOMAN COMPETITON!

- Ladies like Julie Rader and Brittany Cornelius will be throwing down. I'm so excited that STRONGWOMAN is getting recognition on a professional level and that they will be competing for prize money!!!

- Another awesome fact I just learned, the prize for winning the Arnold Strongman Classic is the "Eugene Sandow" award, so the first Arnold Pro Strongwoman competition is awarding the "Katie Sandwina" award. LOVE IT.

Here is a picture of Katie Sandwina holding her 165# husband over head with one hand.

7628685600_5d7644aa61_b.jpg

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

So I'm sure you are all as excited for the Arnold Sports Festival as I am. It is happening this weekend, and there are so many amazing strongman things happening.

- this is the pro men competing: Hafthor, Brian Shaw, Dimitar Savatinov. I was really sad to hear that Big Z hurt himself and had to drop out. I hope this is the year Hafthor finally takes first prize!

I wouldn't hold your breath - I think the events at the Arnold are pretty much done with Shaw in mind. As big as Hafthor is (205kg), Shaw just seems bigger.

I also think it was a mistake for Big Z to drop all that weight... he just seems to get one injury after another now. When he was bigger he was bulletproof.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Blocky said:

I wouldn't hold your breath - I think the events at the Arnold are pretty much done with Shaw in mind. As big as Hafthor is (205kg), Shaw just seems bigger.

I also think it was a mistake for Big Z to drop all that weight... he just seems to get one injury after another now. When he was bigger he was bulletproof.

Has he gained even more weight? I thought he was in the high 180s?

1 minute ago, SpecialSundae said:

Has he gained even more weight? I thought he was in the high 180s?

There was a thing on instagram just this morning about him having to do cardio now because he's broken 200kg. I suspect he's trying to find an even footing with Shaw by getting bigger.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

2. Arnold Amateur Strongman World Championships

- Super excited to watch the women's heavyweight on FloElite. And use it as inspiration to set some new goals.

3. THIS IS SO COOL! THE FIRST EVER ARNOLD PRO STRONGWOMAN COMPETITON!

- Ladies like Julie Rader and Brittany Cornelius will be throwing down. I'm so excited that STRONGWOMAN is getting recognition on a professional level and that they will be competing for prize money!!!

- Another awesome fact I just learned, the prize for winning the Arnold Strongman Classic is the "Eugene Sandow" award, so the first Arnold Pro Strongwoman competition is awarding the "Katie Sandwina" award. LOVE IT.

Here is a picture of Katie Sandwina holding her 165# husband over head with one hand.

Um, now I'm following Julie Rader on IG. Not a creeper at all.... We have a similar body structure so that's some serious inspiration there. She's a badass. 

I think it is so cool that women like Katie Sandwina existed in their time. And also I'm annoyed that we still have women who think you will get "bulky" if you lift even though we've had women liters for ages who demonstrated you don't look freakish when you lift. I had this conversation with an older co-worker yesterday who is convinced I'm going to hulk out... 

I'm planning to try to watch some of the Arnold events on streaming. I'll have to look up if any streaming is available for the Strongwoman comp. 

• Like 1
Ooft. He's got 1kg for every cm of height now!

I did the math I am 0.61kg per cm height. To be fair I am pretty round. My husband politely/lovingly prefers the term voluptuous. Also beefy. Which I actually like! He'll be like, "your back is so muscly and beefy!" And I'll say, " Aw thank you so much sweetie!" It really does make my day.

• Like 3
sending up good thoughts for your bootay that it will be healed and glorious for comp

It worked! Leg felt good for Comp and squats Monday. Yesterday I went to the chriopractor (monthly visit) and told him the issues I've been having. He said my right leg was a good 1.5" shorter than the left. That sure could be related. Lots of stretching and mobility in my future to try and keep things balanced. (I say that every week and every week I don't do any of those things.) Everything feels good today, just got to keep it healthy through March 18th.

• Like 2

I didn't say my hopes were realistic... yes Shaw is definitely front runner and the man to beat. But you never know - without Z that could really shake things up.

And I totally agree dropping weight really seems to have backfired on him.

• Like 1