Julie's first challenge!

juliebarkley

This will be my first 4-week challenge. I am very excited to be moving forward and making progress on my goals with all of you!

1. Fitness: Exercise every day.

I have been doing the workouts in Body By You for a couple of weeks now. My goal is to continue to do these 3x a week and do some form of exercise on the off days, such as a walk. My son exercises with me, which makes this easier to do every day. :) I want to make this a long-term habit.

2. Health: Do my dental rinses once per day.

I have done the dental program in Kiss Your Dentist Goodbye (which does not actually involve skipping the dentist!), but I fell off the wagon some time ago. The rinses are pretty simple - neutralizer before brushing, mouthwash, fluoride. Ultimately, I would like to brush and do the rinses twice a day, but once per day every day is a good start.

3. Health: Take 1tbsp of apple cider vinegar every day.

I need to improve my digestion, and I've been working on this habit but, well, it needs more work.

4. Organizing: Write out a list of all homeschool subjects and full curriculum for at least 3.

I have been procrastinating on this since we switched to a more independent schedule. To work effectively, my son needs to know what is available for each subject, and I have failed to provide this. I've found the program I'd like to use to organize this (Firetask), and 3 subjects should be very doable. Ideally, I will go for extra points and do more!

5. Spiritual: Do at least one prayer per day, on time.

Thought I'd add a fifth as I'm basically already doing #1 :flustered:. I have been very lax with my prayers, so I'm going to start with making sure that I do one every day, and try to work up from there. Every time I try to go all in, I fall off the wagon. Baby steps! I'm hoping my son will nag me on this one, too.

6. Not-a-challenge-but-would-like-to-do-this-month:

Figure out how best to assign XP to the Epic Quest list items. I'm a bit lost about how to decide how much XP to put on, and my forum post didn't get any replies.

Duplicate them as projects in Firetask. I already use this system to keep track of things I need to do, so if I create "Someday" projects, I'll see them every week, which hopefully will make them more likely to actually happen.

Come up with a good alter ego name. A lot of my epic quest items are falling into a pattern; camping/bushcraft/homesteading/self-sufficiency/nature. It looks like I want to be the master/guardian of my little swamp! :flustered: I can work with that theme (D&D!), but I can't think of a good name. I feel a connection to crows, and swamps, but nothing is coming to me. I'm happy to take suggestions (hint, hint).

• Like 6

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37  38  39 

Welcome on board for your first challenge!  :D  your goals look great!

I don't know all that much about the Epic Quest stuff, it's kinda slipped under my radar a lot even though I've been lurking for years.  Hopefully one of the others who've been here longer will have some actual answers for you on this one.  

• Like 1

Fight your foes in the field, nor be burnt in your house.

I like that you have a prayer goal. I'm not religious, but I'm always fascinated and admiring of people who are and who commit to it.

If it's your first time around I recommend you have a look at the pinned posts in the forums, and if you haven't already, the 4-Week Challenge FAQ. There is also a mini-challenge happening that you are welcome to take part in if you find it fits with your goals.

• Like 1

Goblin | Level 7 | STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 3.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 2.5

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

Thanks for the welcome! I'll have to check out the mini-challenge, too.

• Like 1

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37  38  39 

Ok, I have everything set up to succeed - vinegar and rinses out on the counter, and visible reminders for the other stuff too. I can't say I forgot if I have to walk past it multiple times a day. Looking forward to getting started!

• Like 2

It is really nice to have him working out with me. He is doing a different program, but we cheer each other on.

Day one has gone very well. I just have to do my prayers - as soon as this post is done, and then bed. My workout made me feel like I might puke though, so must remember to work out BEFORE eating instead of right after. Ugh. But I did advance in three of my four exercises (and came really close to advancing in the fourth category), so yay me!

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

It is really nice to have him working out with me. He is doing a different program, but we cheer each other on.

Day one has gone very well. I just have to do my prayers - as soon as this post is done, and then bed. My workout made me feel like I might puke though, so must remember to work out BEFORE eating instead of right after. Ugh. But I did advance in three of my four exercises (and came really close to advancing in the fourth category), so yay me!

AN important lesson anyone has to learn. ^^

Does apple cider vingear actually help digestion? I have been finding htis trend rather confusing.

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

20 hours ago, Miw_Sher said:

Does apple cider vingear actually help digestion? I have been finding htis trend rather confusing.

Based on my own experience, yes. I feel less queasy after eating protein if I take it. I didn't know it was a trendy thing, though. Although I suppose now that you mention it, I have been hearing more about it lately.

More info for the curious:

Spoiler

I was diagnosed with low B12 a few months ago. I don't know how low, but I'm thinking pretty low because my doctor doesn't normally seem concerned, and she seemed rather anxious and I was experiencing actual deficiency symptoms. I"m on B12 pills now that have made me feel much better, but I wanted to find out why I was so low when I do eat B12-containing foods (ie, I'm not vegetarian), so I read up on it. Apparently, you need a certain degree of acidity in your stomach to absorb B12, and if your stomach isn't acid enough, you can't absorb it no matter how much you eat. I did a quickie test with HCL tablets that suggested that my acid was probably too low. ACV is supposed to help your stomach develop more acid on its own and also help repopulate the gut with good bacteria (they can be outcompeted by the bacteria that aren't killed in the low-acid environment that you stomach has become). Yogurt is supposed to help with the acid and bacteria, too, and that will be a future quest for me. Fermented foods are supposed to help with the bacteria only.

• Like 4

Does any of this help?  I (eventually) found this page which has all the FAQs about the Epic Quests.  I also asked one of the long-time members and tagged you so you should see the post.  I'll try to keep an eye out for the reply but I have so many notifications every time I come on here that I might miss it. :D  If you post a reply yourself and turn on notifications you will be able to see if she says anything.

WHY DO I HAVE TWO LEVELS? WHAT ARE THEY?

• Your Epic Quest (EQ) level, displayed in the badge icon on the right side on your character page with the letters EQ. This is created and maintained by you, creating your own quests and assigning XP values.
  • Your Nerd Fitness (NF) level, displayed to the left of the experience bar on your character page. This is determined by how much XP you have earned from quests found on your Quests page

HOW MANY XP SHOULD I ASSIGN TO EACH QUEST?

Normal quests should be between 1 and 25xp. A super large quest, that had to be broken down into smaller pieces could be 100xp, as you level up every 100xp. For example, you could put a lifetime lifting goal as 100xp, but each milestone PR worth 15 to 20xp.
For a non-fitness example, you might put getting married as a 100xp quest, and talking to someone you’re interested in and asking them out as a 10xp quest.

CHECKING OFF QUESTS AND LEVELING UP!

You level up every 100xp you earn. You earn XP by checking off quests.
If you accidentally check off a quest, you can uncheck it and you will ‘unearn’ that XP.
You can check off quests on both the Epic Quest page and your My Character page.

UPDATING YOUR QUESTS

Under each quest there is a gray down arrow with the text “Progress Reports”. Click on this and you’ll be given the ability to add a progress report. The date is automatically added when you hit save, so you just need to input your update.
You can update as much as little as you find helpful.
Progress updates are not visible on your public profile page

HOW DO I INTEGRATE MY NF CHARACTER AND EPIC QUEST WITH MY 4 WEEK CHALLENGE

You can link to your public profile page in your profile or signature on the forums, as well as make your challenge goals one of your Quest Lists in Epic Quest. I suggest making each of your four goals 25xp, or a variation that adds up to 100xp, so that after your challenge, if you’ve completed all
  • Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Maybe? I think I just need to suck it up and come up with an XP system myself. A lot of my Epic Quest goals are very long-term, and I don't want to put everything at 100xp. But then I also don't want to do as the last link suggests and get 100xp for every 4-week challenge, as I could get to max levels in a (relatively) short time without achieving any of my major life goals. I'll figure something out. Thanks for all the help and info. Is the Epic Quest XP system relatively new?

• Like 2

Completed all of my daily challenges for the last two days, woo! I just need to work on getting them done a little earlier, as I was dead tired for the last few last night. Must. Do. Before. Bedtime.

Still have prayers to do today, but all the rest are done. I have purchased Firetask for my son's computer, drafted out all of the subjects, and pick the three that I will finish this month (and three bonus ones if I am on form), so I feel on top of that goal too. To be honest, it is going so well and easily it is making me wonder why I put it off for so long.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Maybe? I think I just need to suck it up and come up with an XP system myself. A lot of my Epic Quest goals are very long-term, and I don't want to put everything at 100xp. But then I also don't want to do as the last link suggests and get 100xp for every 4-week challenge, as I could get to max levels in a (relatively) short time without achieving any of my major life goals. I'll figure something out. Thanks for all the help and info. Is the Epic Quest XP system relatively new?

It is a bout... a year old or so? Before, we used a system like the one I am still using and i have in my signature. You got 15XP points per challenge, that you'd manually split amongst your challenge goals (maximum 4, no more then 5XP points per single goal) and assign to different skills. At the end, you assigned yourself points based on your performance.

I wouldn't worry about maxing out though - first of all, you always have your NF level to keep you in check (since it's milestone-based), and also, I don't think there IS a max level. :)

You could also assign your XP based on milestones. I did that for a while until I decided it was not for me and went back to the old system. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

... Is the Epic Quest XP system relatively new?

1 hour ago, Miw_Sher said:

It is a bout... a year old or so? Before, we used a system like the one I am still using and i have in my signature. You got 15XP points per challenge, that you'd manually split amongst your challenge goals (maximum 4, no more then 5XP points per single goal) and assign to different skills. At the end, you assigned yourself points based on your performance.

If you want to try using the old method, like Miw, then there's a page about how it here, but it's from back from when the challenges used to be 6 weeks.  LadyShello explained how she uses it now that it's only 4 weeks.  (you probably read this already but I thought it would be hand for you to have it here in your own thread so you could find it easily if you wanted it for reference.)

STR - Strength

DEX - Dexterity

STA - Stamina

CON - Constitution

WIS - Wison

CHA - Charisma

Before the Epic Quest character creator we used those stats to award points for our challenges.  You started at level 0 and had no points.  Each challenge you could allocate a certain number of points to the skills as you deemed appropriate for your goals and then award points according to how well you felt you accomplished your goals and then level up.  Many of us has kept these stats and levels going even though the points and level system has essentially moved to the epic quest. 

On the old challenge/points system it was 15 points per challenge.  Since the change to the 4 week format (though I follow a 5 week format) I have reduced the possible points I award myself to 10.  Also, the old philosophy was always that you level up as long as you completed a challenge, regardless of how well you felt you did.  I have instead created a leveling up ladder and I will only reflect the next lvl if I have reached a certain number of stat points.  The system is really flexible and allows everyone to handle them however they want.  

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Ooooh, is there anywhere I can find this Level Up ladder?

Inviato dal mio SM-G930F utilizzando Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Miw_Sher said:

Weird double post.

You forgot to do the Double Post Boogie

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, Miw_Sher said:

I think it's something @LadyShello invented for herself...  She might explain it better.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Miw_Sher said:

This was my own modification to the skill points and the leveling up.  When I started doing challenges, you assigned the stats to your goals.  At the end of the challenge you graded yourself and then awarded yourself the points you assigned depending on your score.  Did you get 100%? Then award yourself all the skill points you assigned.  only 80%? Then scale the points accordingly.  But the general feeling was always that as long as you finished your challenge, no matter your score or how many points you ended up awarding yourself, you leveled up.  I followed this for quite a few challenges.  It feels great for your first few challenges to level up because even if you didn't score 100%, you're here and your improving yourself, one step at a time.  

But eventually I stopped liking the idea of leveling up after a crap challenge.  So I made a ladder system for myself.  At the time we had 15 points per challenge, so I started with however many total skill points I had at the time and just like in D&D, I set it up so the lower levels you could level up easier, so maybe as long as I got 10 points, and then as the levels got higher, it would require 15 points to level up.  If I didn't get all 15 points in a challenge (which was all the time), I wouldn't level up that challenge but still increase my skill points and by next challenge I would add those new points and see if I had the 15 to level up... and so on and so forth.  

ETA: I should probably point out that this actually ends up mirroring the epic quest character creator.  I just found it that worked better for long term goals and didn't work with my challenge goals.. So as NF as a community stopped using the skill points and the leveling up, I continued it on my own.  

Hope this helps. :) 

• Like 2

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

9 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

This is pretty much the same as my thought process on the Epic Quests vs challenges.  

Oh, and welcome to the rebellion! 

• Like 1

Spoiler

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

21 minutes ago, LadyShello said:

This was my own modification to the skill points and the leveling up.  When I started doing challenges, you assigned the stats to your goals.  At the end of the challenge you graded yourself and then awarded yourself the points you assigned depending on your score.  Did you get 100%? Then award yourself all the skill points you assigned.  only 80%? Then scale the points accordingly.  But the general feeling was always that as long as you finished your challenge, no matter your score or how many points you ended up awarding yourself, you leveled up.  I followed this for quite a few challenges.  It feels great for your first few challenges to level up because even if you didn't score 100%, you're here and your improving yourself, one step at a time.  

But eventually I stopped liking the idea of leveling up after a crap challenge.  So I made a ladder system for myself.  At the time we had 15 points per challenge, so I started with however many total skill points I had at the time and just like in D&D, I set it up so the lower levels you could level up easier, so maybe as long as I got 10 points, and then as the levels got higher, it would require 15 points to level up.  If I didn't get all 15 points in a challenge (which was all the time), I wouldn't level up that challenge but still increase my skill points and by next challenge I would add those new points and see if I had the 15 to level up... and so on and so forth.  

ETA: I should probably point out that this actually ends up mirroring the epic quest character creator.  I just found it that worked better for long term goals and didn't work with my challenge goals.. So as NF as a community stopped using the skill points and the leveling up, I continued it on my own.  

Hope this helps. :) 

Ooooh I like!

the automatic level up never bothered me too much, because you could always see where the skills "went"  looking at the stats. The epic quest system, though, bugs me because you cannot see where eeveryone is putting their points. :(

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Miw_Sher said:

Ooooh I like!

the automatic level up never bothered me too much, because you could always see where the skills "went"  looking at the stats. The epic quest system, though, bugs me because you cannot see where eeveryone is putting their points. :(

It didn't bother at first, but I had some pretty dismal challenges where I awarded some points but just didn't feel like leveling up.  

• Like 1

Spoiler

It didn't bother at first, but I had some pretty dismal challenges where I awarded some points but just didn't feel like leveling up.  

Oh yeah. I think I did that too.

in any case, I find it really frustrating that I can't see my stats broken down on my NF character. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2017 at 1:04 AM, juliebarkley said:

Completed all of my daily challenges for the last two days, woo! I just need to work on getting them done a little earlier, as I was dead tired for the last few last night. Must. Do. Before. Bedtime.

Still have prayers to do today, but all the rest are done. I have purchased Firetask for my son's computer, drafted out all of the subjects, and pick the three that I will finish this month (and three bonus ones if I am on form), so I feel on top of that goal too. To be honest, it is going so well and easily it is making me wonder why I put it off for so long.

Thats awesome!! :) Good for you! 

How do you find the apple cider vinegar working? My mom told me about that this weekend so funny seeing a post about it on here! 

On 19/02/2017 at 8:55 AM, taymonsta said:

Thats awesome!! :) Good for you! 

How do you find the apple cider vinegar working? My mom told me about that this weekend so funny seeing a post about it on here! 

It works for me. I take a tablespoonful and then immediately drink a cup of water. After a protein-heavy meal, if I can remember.

End of first week and all challenges are on track. I only missed one set of daily rinses last week. I told myself that since everyone is in bed (we have people over), it was too late to do them as it would disturb them (I use a timer for tooth brushing). Then I realized the next day that I could just close the bathroom door.... so I'll have to make that one up this week and no more excuses!

• Like 2

Great to hear that you're doing so well!  I would say that only missing one set of rinses would still qualify as a solid A for week one.  Fingers crossed that week 2 is just as good.