• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Choose life.

Choose lifting.

Choose spending three hours a night communing with iron when no one else gives a crap.

Choose meat and veg and eggs and trying not to binge on ice cream.

Choose friends with knee sleeves and wrist wraps.

Choose whinging about DOMS but going back anyway. 

Choose walking through the streets of Edinburgh wearing a 12kg backpack.

Choose worrying about making weight.

Choose to accept the reality of a water cut once in a while.

Choose powerlifting, weightlifting, strongman or crossfit.

I chose life. I chose powerlifting.

Trainspotting-Ewan-McGregor.jpg

Given the new movie is out and I walk through the streets in which its set every blinking day, figured it was time for a Trainspotting challenge... Plus an excuse for a lot of Ewan McGregor pictures (Kevin McKidd and Jonny Lee Miller are also acceptable).

I've got just over a week until my first comp of the year and I'm currently recovering from a nasty hip flexor strain, so lots to talk about.

Choose Lifting

Trainspotting-2.jpg

I'm training four days a week with just a couple of sessions off for the comp. I'm doing okay-ish with hitting the heavy singles but the volume is intimidating at the moment. Currently sitting on the couch with epic DOMS after sessions Tuesday and Wednesday.

Anyway, the goal is two-part.

1. Don't psych myself out of lifting weights because I think they feel tough when the video shows they're moving fast.

2. Do my fucking accessories

Basic training week structure is generally Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday (or similar) with the current programme looking like this:

• Day one - comp squat and bench plus accessories
  • Day two - comp deadlift and bench variation plus accessories
  • Day three - squat variation and comp bench plus accessories
  • Day four - deadlift variation and bench variation plus accessories

I often split off the accessories into a separate session if I finish late. For comp lifts, I work up to a heavy single (RPE8) then volume, variations I work up to reps at RPE8 (varying numbers) then back off sets. 

Choose meat and veg and eggs

Robert-Carlyle-Jonny-Lee-Miller-and-Ewan

I'm not going paleo or any such thing but I've signed up to Avatar Nutrition so I'm trying really hard to hit my numbers. I won't do so on the day of the comp, but will try to hit my numbers. They may change each week so this week's is: 1971 calories, 213g carbs, 55g fat, 156g protein. That'll get updated next Wednesday.

My goal is to get down to c.61-62kg then reverse diet so I can stop having to stress about making weight and be a bit leaner. 

Choose life

00528FA000000578-3517333-Reunited_Johnny

Given I have a tendency to sink into lifting obsession, I need to do other stuff too.

• I took up skating again at the beginning of January so I'll aim to make it to skating once a week other than next week. 
  • Do at least one 60 minute session of yoga. I haven't done any in ages.
  • Play Zelda on my SNES. :) 
  • Play some more World of Final Fantasy.
  • Take Grant out for brunch at least once. 
  • Go and see T2 Trainspotting.
  • Like 11

Week 0 - Days 1-3

Choose lifting

Went down to Liverpool to see my coach (probably should have got a picture with him but meh) and explore a city I hadn't visited before. All the Beatles stuff around town seemed naff and expensive so got a bit of a body swerve but went to the Tate Liverpool (modern art gallery) and the Museum of Maritime Liverpool and Museum of Slavery, which were all pretty interesting. 

Anyway, so I turned up at the gym on Tuesday afternoon expecting to meet up with Stephen to find he'd got his days confused and/or forgotten I was coming in (apparently this is not an unusual occurrence). On the plus side, I did get to meet Jord McLaughlin who is a pretty killer 120+ lifter just out of Juniors who trains with Ste too and looks about 45.  Totally did that thing again where I forgot we'd never met in person so rabbited away for hours before going, "Hi, just realised we'd never actually met." :) 

Did my training session and hit my heavy single on squat at 127.5kg, which is the weight I strained my hip flexor at two weeks ago. Had to pull down the weights for the sixes after the first two but I think that was more poor sleep and a heavy cut rather than strength, if that makes sense? They had some really, really nice Eleiko comp bars to train on!

Bench is still going REALLY strong. Did a piss-easy single at 80kg then 4x4 at 70kg and I feel like I could hit at least 85kg at the moment. Fingers crossed for Easterns!

Wednesday, I went back in and got a session with my coach and we had a good look at what's going on with my squat. It's looking a lot better and he's given me some mobility stuff to do to help with the hip but all in all he seems pretty happy with what I'm doing. We're going to work in some heavier work with sumo and I absolutely killed myself trying to get through volume deadlifts!

Right, so that's us up to date on lifting. I did do my accessories on Tuesday but they could get to fuck on Wednesday!

Choose meat and veg and eggs

Despite being away from home for three days, I managed to make good choices with eating and seem to have come home lighter than I left. Weighed in at 64.3kg this morning and I've got a really good and healthy day of food planned out! 

Choose life

I'm off to play Zelda now. Byeeeeeee.

• Like 6

Quoting a post from my challenge three years ago:

Relevant section:

Edited to add measurements from day two (kinda bloated both yesterday and today but was hoping it'd be gone... eh well)

Weight: 62.1kg

Body fat % (per BIA scales... so not trustworthy): 27.0%

Waist: 27"

Navel: 31"

High hip: 35"

Glutes: 37"

Thigh: 20.5"

Calf: 13"

Forearm: 9.5"

Bicep relaxed: 10.5"

Bicep flexed: 11.5"

(both sides measured the same)

Kinda fancy redoing these properly. Waist and navel seem to be pretty similar these days but glutes, thighs and arms are up quite a bit. 

• Like 1

So awesome you got some face time with your coach!!! Sounds like ti was a good experience. <3 all the things!!!

And...I'm just going to leave this here... for... obvious reasons ;) 

2DG4XRC.gif

• Like 1

Just now, RedStone said:

So awesome you got some face time with your coach!!! Sounds like ti was a good experience. <3 all the things!!!

And...I'm just going to leave this here... for... obvious reasons ;) 

2DG4XRC.gif

I'm fully in favour of all the Ewan McGregor posts. 

I'll respond with this:

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

I'm following... you know... for science.

Given Mr McGregor's proclivity for appearing in the nude, there is plenty of opportunity for scientific study. ;) 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

I'm fully in favour of all the Ewan McGregor posts. 

I'll respond with this:

GAH!!!! Oh and I adore Chris O'Dowd!!! <3 <3 <3 

12 minutes ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

I'm following... you know... for science.

3 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

Given Mr McGregor's proclivity for appearing in the nude, there is plenty of opportunity for scientific study. ;) 

Yeah... this is gonna be fun.

(In college I only had one poster up in my studio - Obi Wan.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedStone said:

GAH!!!! Oh and I adore Chris O'Dowd!!! <3 <3 <3 

Yeah... this is gonna be fun.

(In college I only had one poster up in my studio - Obi Wan.)

Why do I have a feeling that this topic could get NSFW very easily?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SpecialSundae said:

2. Do my fucking accessories

This is a very dumb question:  Is this an option?

My programming has a whole bunch of accessories because I have no meets planned in the near future.

Basic training week structure is generally Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday (or similar) with the current programme looking like this:

• Day one - comp squat and bench plus accessories
  • Day two - comp deadlift and bench variation plus accessories
  • Day three - squat variation and comp bench plus accessories
  • Day four - deadlift variation and bench variation plus accessories

Bench 4x/week 

:love-struck::love-struck::love-struck::love-struck::love-struck::love-struck::love-struck:

WANT

Choose meat and veg and eggs and trying not to binge on ice cream.

Really though? ;) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sam Ashen said:

This is a very dumb question:  Is this an option?

My programming has a whole bunch of accessories because I have no meets planned in the near future.

Is what an option?

30 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Bench 4x/week 

:love-struck::love-struck::love-struck::love-struck::love-struck::love-struck::love-struck:

WANT

Really though? ;) 

I LOVE benching every session. Seriously love it! Thankfully both Marc and Stephen have been great believers in benching pretty much all the time. :)

I WANT to eat ice cream but I NEED to make weight!

• Like 2

So I redid my measurements for the body fat calculator on Avatar Nutrition and realised I'd been measuring my glutes rather than my hips at the widest point (glutes measure about 7-8cm more!). Now have an extra 78 calories a day... WHEEE!

21 hours ago, SpecialSundae said:

19 February 2014

Weight: 62.1kg

Body fat % (per BIA scales... so not trustworthy): 27.0%

Waist: 27"

Navel: 31"

High hip: 35"

Glutes: 37"

Thigh: 20.5"

Calf: 13"

Forearm: 9.5"

Bicep relaxed: 10.5"

Bicep flexed: 11.5"

(both sides measured the same)

10 February 2017:

Weight: 64.5kg

Body fat % (per BIA scales): 29% (I totally call bullshit) US Navy measurement one comes out at 22.4%

Waist: 26.75" (-.25")

Navel: 29.5" (-1.5")

High hip: 36" (+1")

Glutes: 39" (+2")

Thigh: 22.5" (+2")

Calf: 14.25" (+1.25")

Forearm: 10" (+0.5")

Bicep relaxed: 12" (+1.5")

Bicep flexed: 12.75" (+1.25")

So not a huge change over the past few years, really.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

So I redid my measurements for the body fat calculator on Avatar Nutrition and realised I'd been measuring my glutes rather than my hips at the widest point (glutes measure about 7-8cm more!).

Where are you supposed to measure? I'm never sure where the right place for taking measurements is.

• Like 1

Just now, AugustaAdaByron said:

Where are you supposed to measure? I'm never sure where the right place for measuring is.

For that particular calculator, the point with the widest horizontal measurement (i.e. where looks widest when you're looking in the mirror). Because I've got a reasonable rear projection these days, that's not the point with the largest circumference. ;) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SpecialSundae said:

Body fat % (per BIA scales): 29% (I totally call bullshit)

<------also calling BS!

Elsewhere, I keep saying until blue in the face, although I am no biomedical engineer, I do not trust biometric impedance as a method of estimating body fat percentage, even if it is done by Inbody.  Here is my very limited understanding from the perspective of a professional idiot:

The general concept is the conductive material in the body is water.  Given limb dimensions and measured resistance, the water mass can be calculated.  (I work with copper, so given length, resistance, reference temperature, and a general shape, I can calculate the mass of the wire.)  Lean body mass is calculated based on water mass.  Fat mass is calculated by subtracting lean mass from measured weight.

Insert a long list of assumptions right here.

I also have no idea what kind of scale you were using.  Added to the long list of assumptions above, I am assuming that the scale is actually making a calculation to get from input height and measured resistance to calculated water mass and NOT making a curve fit based on population data.

Now I already said that as a professional idiot, I work with copper and calculate resistance every day.  I have no idea what the resistivity of water is inside the body or how it varies from day to day based on the balance of electrolytes.

So yeah.  I am calling bullshit.

----------------------------------------------

Never mind that I also like the tape measure method.  I do not believe it is perfect.  I believe the method fails for some people and fails spectacularly (Spezzy) for some others.  I do believe that if my measurements are getting "better" than so is my body composition.

Failing that, well, at least my measurements are getting better!

---------------------------------------------

Then there is the skin-fold method.  It is not perfect, either, but the last piece I read indicated that improving skin fold measurements correlate well with a loss of body fat.  Failing that, at least I would be looking more shredded!

----------------------------------------------

So if i were trying to cut body fat, I (personally) would get a set of before measurements and after measurements.

Very likely you already know this!  All I intended was to call bullshit on BIA.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sam Ashen said:

So if i were trying to cut body fat, I (personally) would get a set of before measurements and after measurements.

Very likely you already know this!  All I intended was to call bullshit on BIA.

My measurements change little but also fluctuate wildly.

That is to say, my waist goes up and down massively with bloating but barely changes with weight loss, or at least that's how it seems!

• Like 1

Okay, so I made it to the gym today and did better than expected. Managed to do band squats up to 95kgx3 with bands that are apparently about 40kg total (pull the other one), 3ct pause bench up to 70kgx5 and block pulls up to 110kgx5 . 

I'm still in a lot of pain from whatever is going on with my guts so I'm really pleased with that. 

I'm guessing this challenge will be a lot of talking to myself.

• Like 2