• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

miss_marissa

Warrior Mini Challenge #1: Prepare for Battle

Bob-works-out-1.gif

The time has come again Warriors, it's time to test our strength on the platform. All the workouts we put our bodies through, sometimes fun, sometimes painful, and sometimes monotonous, have all led up to this, showing what you've got and how you've progressed in those maximal displays of strength and power. Go dust off your armor, sharpen your blades, and prepare to grip it and rip it.

Every 4 months, the Warriors come out to play and hold our virtual lifting competitions, which the whole forum is welcome to come participate in. You can find the Amorous Assessment of Anatomic Artillery here.  This mini-challenge is about getting ready to lift those heaviest of heavy loads.

4361734-she-hulk.jpg

Preparing your armor.

Before you go into battle, you need to know what it is you're up against. What you'll need to defend against and what type of armor to wear. If you plan on competing in any federation sanctioned powerlifting competition, you'll need to be a bit stricter about what you wear. During the virtual competition, you will not be forced to wear a singlet but in real competitions, these are a requirement.

Here is a list of the equipment that you can use in order to still be considered eligible for a "raw" lift.

You also want to know exactly what it means to successfully complete one of your lifts. These also become a bit stricter than your usual day at the gym, and it's also one of the biggest reasons we harp on you hitting at least parallel in your squats. Each of the three big lifts are described here and success requirements for each lift are laid out on pages 9 & 10.

Your Challenge: Familiarize yourself with the rules of powerlifting/weightlifting meets, especially when it comes to what ranges of motion you need to hit and where you need to pause in the lifts in order for them to count. +1 Wisdom for those who do.

Preparing your weapons.

6966097.gif

Now that you know what you're up against, it's time we gave ourselves some weapons. The virtual lifting meet and sanctioned meets follow the same format: you get 3 attempts to lift as much as possible in Squat, then Bench, then Deadlift. 3 attempts, that's it. So, we need to know exactly what we want to try to hit on each of those attempts.

The first step is knowing what your theoretical 1 Rep Max (1RM) is for each of the three lifts. The easiest way to do this is to find a rep max for a lighter weight (say for 4 reps, but no way you'd get 5), and use a calculator like one of these: EXRX.net or T Nation(slightly nsfw). You can now use this number to plan out your three attempts.

First Lift / Your Opener:

Let's get one thing straight, you're not going to put up great numbers if you don't hit your opener. This lift should be heavy enough to inspire confidence in you but light enough that you could roll out of bed with a hangover and hit it. What could you hit for a double or triple? Think somewhere around the 90-92% range.

Second Lift:

This is not where you go big. This is where you hit a lift that you are 100% convinced that you can make that will raise your total score. This should be a hard lift, but not so hard that you risk losing it. Think somewhere in the range of 94-98% of your 1RM.

Third Lift:

Here's where we go big. Time to try for a new personal best. How did the last lift feel? Good? Go for your 1RM + 5lbs. Great? Go for your 1RM + 10-15lbs. Cake? Throw a gorram plate on there. Here's the thing, you still want to hit this lift. You don't want to try and fail, so if the day is feeling crappy, it's also completely acceptable and smart to take a bit off your final planned attempt if you're just not in the groove. Make the last attempt, be happy you increased your score, and move on to the next lift.

Examples

My current 1RM for squats is around 475; I plan on looking for 485 at the end of the day. My attempts will look something like this:

1st: (475) @ 92% = 435

2nd: (475) @ 97% = 460

3rd: (475) @ 102% = 485

Reading material:

Maryland Powerlifting writeup

Andy Bolton, simple tip

David Dellanave, Attempt Selection for not dummies

^^Note from MM this one is my favorite and I actually used that template in my meet 2 weeks ago

Your Challenge: Plan out your three attempts for each lift. +1 Wisdom to those who do.

Prepare Your Body

giphy.gif

Part of participating in a competition is making sure you are going in fresh so that you are at 100%. Lifting heavy weights takes a toll on the body and it needs to be prepared for that stress. The further along you are in your lifting journey, the larger the toll. As you become more adapt at lifting consistently, your body will become accustomed to certain levels of stress. That said, prepping for a competition is nothing like your regular "heavy" days.

For you novices, the workout before the competition should be a light day. Reduce your working loads by 20-30% and just get the reps in, keep the movement patterns ingrained and get the blood flowing. Avoid anything that requires work set level effort. This will give your body more time to recover before the competition and make sure it is ready to exert 100% effort rather than maybe 90-95%.

For you intermediates, in addition to the light workout before the competition, the two before that should also be light or medium. If you are on a weekly periodization program like the Texas Method, this is especially true. You have learned to put such effort into the lifts and take your body to such a level of exertion that it takes more than just 1 light workout for your body to fully recover. While a light day is 30% lighter than working sets, a medium day may only be 15% lighter. This allows you to still get work in and maintain strength, but does not put as high of a recovery toll on the body.

Personally, I like to do a light workout at 3 sets of 5 reps for each lift at around 50% 1RM 3-5 days before the competition, then take the rest off, focusing on getting really good sleep and food intake and making sure I'm at 100% for those lifts.

Your challenge: Take it easy, rest up, and prepare yourself as best you can to put in an all out effort on the day you put in your entry. +1 Constitution to those who do.

This Challenge will end on the last day of the lifting competition 26 FEB.

This mini is copied nearly word for word from @Br0din, who actually copied it word for word from @Gainsdalf the Whey who borrowed it from the two Seth did back in early 2013. If anyone has experience in weightlifting meets and wants to help me flesh this out a bit, I'd like that.

• Like 6

So I get an automatic pass? ;) 

IPF Divisional Ref - I know teh rulez. +1 Wisdom

Current approximate 1RMs - 137.5kg squat, 82.5kg bench, 140kg deadlift

Current plan for lifts:

Squat - 125kg-132.5kg/135kg-137.5kg/140kg

Bench - 75kg-80kg-82.5kg/85kg

Deadlift - 130kg-135kg/137.5kg-140kg/142.5kg/145kg

Or thereabouts. See how I feel on the day. ;) 

• Like 2

I was miffed that the virtual meet was going to interrupt my training plan... but, I'm on an unload week between 21-25 Feb, so I'll warrior up and put this in the unload week (which is way more fun than actually unloading/resting).

I'm good for the rules (+1 WIS)

Attempts (+1 WIS):

Squat: 150kg, 155kg, 160+kg (I'll have to take a bit of a hit on this cos I usually compete in wraps).

Bench: 100kg, 110kg, 115+kg.

Deadlift: 190kg, 200kg, 205+kg (I keep getting a stupid double knee bend thing when I hit weights over 200kg, so I'll record it and put it to the internet judges to decide)

And it will be during a unload week, so Ill be slightly rested (+1 CON)...

Yay!

• Like 3

Well here are my plans for the meet I'm doing March 18th. Attempts subject to change. I know it's outside the window of this virtual meet :(

Squat (1RM 315)

285 / 305 / 320-325

BP (1RM 198)

180 / 190-195 / 205-210 

DL (1RM 315)

285 / 305-310 / 325-330

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kanaman said:

Nevermind. I answered my own question. It's just for fun, I will lift and submit my results

Yep exactly!!!

Just do the best you can with what you have available to you right now. Don't worry about the approved gym equipment or approved gear list for "raw". As long as you are following the general rules of "IPF RAW" then you're good.

I'll be typing this as what I did to prepare for my meet on January 28th. Technically outside of guidelines for this mini, just want to post it up in case anyone wants another example :)

Prepare your armor:

I reviewed the equipment list (turns out my calves had outgrown my knee sleeves so I had to make a mad scramble to find suitable ones)

I also reviewed the rules. In particular whether thumbs need to be wrapped around the bar for a squat or not (they don't) because we were having a discussion about if it was allowed or not. Also, read up to re-familiarize myself with commands.

Prepare your weapons:

The week prior to my meet (Jan 15-20) I had worked up to heavy singles in each of the lifts, but not quite max effort (even though they were PRs!). I had worked up to 210/110/240 (lb) for my three lifts. This kind of gave me an idea of what to expect meet day. I then prepped my attempts. Even though I knew I could do more, I was going for very small PRs, with a goal of going 9/9. Instead, of going for larger PRs with a bigger chance to miss lifts.

e7c558a24566dbc208896060ef932d71.jpg

As you can see, this had me hitting 97.5/50/112.5 kg if all of my lifts felt "easy" on meet day :) This would be ~5 lb PR on squat, tie a gym PR for bench, and 8 lb PR on deadlift. My attempts also roughly correlated to:

First attempt: 90% of current 1RM

Second attempt: 95-97% of current 1RM

Third attempt: 100-102% of current 1RM

Prepare your body

The Tuesday before my meet, I worked up to singles in each of my openers in all three of my lifts. Making sure to try warmup sets as I would meet day.

Wednesday I did a short bodyweight circuit, just to keep the blood flowing: jump squats, pushups, side-walking planks and single leg glute bridges. Also, on this day it would be a good idea (I didn't have time otherwise I would have) to practice commands with an empty bar or a PVC. I also got a massage this day.

Thursday was some light stretching and foam rolling and lots of relaxing.

• Like 2

Is video proof required to compete? Because my gym is reaaaaaaallly strict in their no pictures no video policy.

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Leigh said:

Is video proof required to compete? Because my gym is reaaaaaaallly strict in their no pictures no video policy.

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

Nope, your word is good enough.  Best honest effort is all we require.

• Like 3

I know the IPF rules, but have no way of proving this other than saying I've successfully competed before ;-)  I also have quite literally all the approved and allowed equipment at this point, and I shall be wearing ALL of it.

Current (competition) 1RMs: 150/65/160

Our coach had us pick some 3rd attempts we'd like to hit and we've been training based on that. For me, this is 160/70/170, but I've actually done more in training. So, on the day, it may or may not look something like:

Squat: 145, 155, 160-165

Bench: 65, 70, >70

Deadlift: 155?, 165?, 170 (It's possible I could go a little higher, but I really don't like deadlifts and don't think I can be bothered!)

I generally don't think it's a great idea to get too stuck on these numbers, it's all about how you feel on the day and that can vary quite a lot. For me, a good meet plan is one that can be adapted, and that lets you walk away with the best total you can get on that day. So I'm personally not going to consider it a failure if I don't get those numbers. The real goal for me is to get a 325+ total to be safe in terms of qualifying for nationals, and to get out there again because I haven't competed in a while.

• Like 4

squeeeeeeee! wish i had seen this earlier. ah well. I'm two days out from doing the virtual meet and i had planned to get to the gym this morning for some light reps but ended up sleeping in. sounds like that's actually fine! i'll be getting in some yoga today and tomorrow as well as some light running? is that a terrible idea?

with some help from spezzy i've come up with a plan of attack for saturday (in kg), spoiler'd cuz so many wordz.

Spoiler

squat* warmup

20.4 x5x2 (33%)

27.2 x5 (44%)

36.28 x3 (59%)

attempt 1: 49.89

attempt 2: 54.43

attempt 3: 58.96

bench warmup

20.4 x5x2 (40%)

24.94 x5 (50%)

34 x3 (68%)

attempt 1: 45.35 (90.9%)

attempt 2: 49.89 (100%)

attempt 3: 54.43 (109%) - depending how I feel of course

DL warmup

38.55 x5x2 (41%)

45.35 x5 (48%)

70.3 x3 (75%)

79.3 x1 (85%) - maybe not necessary

attempt 1: 88.45 (95%)

attempt 2: 93 (100%)

attempt 3: 102 (109%) - depending how I feel

*squats are a problem child for me and I only recently brought them back from the dead. i can front squat at least 61kg but don't want to run pel mel into back squatting too quickly

• Like 6

Done...

I managed:

SQ 165kg (I was a little dissapointed untilI realised that in my last meet, I did 165 IN WRAPS... today was rawr!!!! So this would have been 175ish in wraps)

B 115kg (I bombed my last meet by missing 110kg three times, and there was a legit pause!)

DL 200kg/205kg (My 200 was clean, my 205 was a little ugly. But I stood up with it)

at a bodyweight of 95.5kg

But....I will have to go without the +1CON for resting up. My next month of training is going to be brutal, so I decided to do this stuff today (only 3 days after hitting a 3RM deadlift and 2 days after hitting a 1RM bench) instead of mid-week, so I have plently of time to unload before next month.

• Like 4

On 2/19/2017 at 11:13 PM, Blocky said:

Done...

I managed:

SQ 165kg (I was a little dissapointed untilI realised that in my last meet, I did 165 IN WRAPS... today was rawr!!!! So this would have been 175ish in wraps)

B 115kg (I bombed my last meet by missing 110kg three times, and there was a legit pause!)

DL 200kg/205kg (My 200 was clean, my 205 was a little ugly. But I stood up with it)

at a bodyweight of 95.5kg

But....I will have to go without the +1CON for resting up. My next month of training is going to be brutal, so I decided to do this stuff today (only 3 days after hitting a 3RM deadlift and 2 days after hitting a 1RM bench) instead of mid-week, so I have plently of time to unload before next month.

yes!! awesome job!

• Like 1