My First Meditation

Well, I just tried my first meditation. I've never attempted it before. I have high anxiety and can become frustrated quickly, so I figured I'd never be able to do it.

At first, I couldn't get comfortable. Once I did, my mind wandered at every little noise of the house. Then my back grew sore, and my mind focused on that and wanting to slouch. I was irritated, but then though of what calmed me down the most. For me, it's soft jazz or being outside when it's warm, listening to the sounds of nature. So, I played some background noise of the latter.

It worked! Well, for a good thirty seconds until my mind wandered again...But it's progress! I tried to force my mind into a calm and was able to get six minutes before it wouldn't shut up regardless of how much I tried to stop the mindless chatter. But yay! Six minutes! :D

• Like 1

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

My NF Character | Goodreads | Twitter | My Author Site

HUMAN DRUID

Level: 1 | STR 6 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 5 | WIS 13 | CHA 5

That sounds like a perfect first practice.  I wouldn't even worry about how long you practice each time, you sound like you recognize when you're done.  Just enjoy it as long as you feel like until you have to start setting a timer to remind you to move on with your day :)

• Like 1

Easeful, Peaceful, Useful... "An easeful body, and a peaceful mind, allow you to become a useful person" -Swami Satchidananda

This sounds just like my first meditation. Do you sit on a pillow or folded blanket?

I light a candle (I call it my chalice) in front of me and focus on the flame and my breath. It's also nice to do after a yoga session.

• Like 1

Adventurous Druid Warrior

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf

Current Challenge: Tough Mudder Training - Daily Log

Accountabilibuddies: Obstacle Racers, Assemble!

ACS Fundraising page for TM Half

6 minutes ago, NucleotidalWave said:

This sounds just like my first meditation. Do you sit on a pillow or folded blanket?

I light a candle (I call it my chalice) in front of me and focus on the flame and my breath. It's also nice to do after a yoga session.

No, I sat right on the floor. Silly me, I didn't even think of a pillow! Thanks for the tip! I might try the candle idea as well, that sounds so relaxing! 

HUMAN DRUID

53 minutes ago, ChirpyBird said:

No, I sat right on the floor. Silly me, I didn't even think of a pillow! Thanks for the tip! I might try the candle idea as well, that sounds so relaxing! 

I am thinking of starting a meditation PVP challenge. Would you be interested?

• Like 2

Adventurous Druid Warrior

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf

Current Challenge: Tough Mudder Training - Daily Log

Accountabilibuddies: Obstacle Racers, Assemble!

ACS Fundraising page for TM Half

15 hours ago, NucleotidalWave said:

I am thinking of starting a meditation PVP challenge. Would you be interested?

Yes, I really would be interested! Count me in, please! :D

HUMAN DRUID