• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Phoenix91

Phoenix's graduation challenge

I missed the last challenge and learned a few important things about myself.

- If i'm not writing it down, keeping a record and having other people see that record, i tend to make up excuses not to exercise :/

- My eating habits went out of the window last month; Nothing too bad but i didn't eat for weight gain, i ate just to get by.  

- I kept up with my protein shakes which was unexpected!

- On a positive note, not exercising freed up so much time and i cleaned, uncluttered and sorted my house.  My kitchen is super organized, i'm so proud.

This challenge i have a few goals some exercise related and some life related.  At the beginning of March i'm travelling to London to attend my graduation ceremony from the London school of hygiene and tropical medicine, i spent 5 years getting a masters degree and it'll be amazing to go and actually celebrate that.  

Life Goals:

• Go to the hairdresser before my trip, get my hair trimmed and neatened up.  I need to look vaguely respectable when i go and not like i was dragged feet first through a hedge.
  • Continue with my romanian lessons; i am on lesson 13 of the pimsluer course and lesson 5 of my reading and writing course.  I think it's going quite well.  So romanian work at least 4 times a week.
  • Clean my garage if the weather allows.  The rest of the house is clean but the garage is a state.
  • Have a great time in London and try not to get to sassy with my brother when i see him.

Exercise Goals:

• Lift at least twice a week.
  • Stretch and warm up before hand.
  • Yoga everyday. Bonus for attending hot yoga which is maybe the best thing in the whole world!  I found a 30 day yoga challenge I can do at home, it's 20-30 minutes a day, I can use it as warm up on lifting days.
  • Being cold and miserable because it's winter is not an excuse to huddle under a blanket.  Work out!  Put the heater on in the workout room and get on with it!
  • Ride the horse if the weather allows and the horse allows (sometimes it's not worth risking my life with his friskiness).
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Vibrantella said:

Congrats on your Masters!

Thank you!  I got the certificate in the mail yesterday and might have walked around all day saying "i'm so smart".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedStone said:

Hey girl :) WB~ and congrats!!

EtbS4wx.gif

I should have danced just like that; i feel like i missed an opportunity.  I'll save that for the graduation ceremony!

Thanks, it's good to be back, hopefully i can be more involved this challenge and actually read other peoples threads.

27 minutes ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Woooo, congrats on the Masters!

Welcome back!

Thanks!!  

9 minutes ago, wildross said:

Good work on the schooling!!  Now everything else will be easy (haha)

Thank you!  Strangely i miss the schooling and fancy doing another undergrad, you know, in all this spare time i've got now :D 

Week 1 :)

I'm counting the exercise i did yesterday in with week 1 because i rode that horse so hard my legs were shaking by the time we were done.  He was good and is coming along nicely.  It just showed how fast we regress when we stop doing exercise for a while; my legs are okay today but yikes, they were sore yesterday.  

I might get a chance to lift tonight if i get back from the ballet with enough time.  Maybe i'll start properly tomorrow and try to get into a routine.

• Like 4

I edited my challenge slightly; I went to the ballet today and I'm very jealous of the dancers flexibility and killer thighs.  So I found a 30 day yoga thing on YouTube, it's 20-30 minutes per day.  I did the first one today, it was a warm up and easing into the challenge type of thing.  It was very relaxing :)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Phoenix91 said:

I edited my challenge slightly; I went to the ballet today and I'm very jealous of the dancers flexibility and killer thighs.  So I found a 30 day yoga thing on YouTube, it's 20-30 minutes per day.  I did the first one today, it was a warm up and easing into the challenge type of thing.  It was very relaxing :)

ballet

• Like 2

Day 2 of yoga!  30 minutes of stretching and some relaxing then straight into a weights workout :) 

Leg extensions:

50# x 20

55# x 20

Leg curl:

5# x10

10# x 10.  I find these so hard for some reason.

OHP:

24#  5x5

Curls: 

24#. 5x5

Zombie squats:

14#. 5x5

19#. 3x5

24#. 1x5.  How do people do zombie squats with heavier weight?  The bar rolled back slightly and about choked me, They're not hard to do leg wise but trying to keep balance so the freaking bar doesn't move is so hard.  

I dialed back on where I was about a month ago, Easing back into it since I've basically done nothing for 3 weeks.  I should have done more on OHP and curls but my shoulder has been feeling tweaked for a few weeks so I'm taking it easy and building up from very low weight.  

• Like 1

No yoga last night, incredibly bad films instead.  

Yoga tonight and workouts!  Now i've typed it it has to happen.

I also downloaded Strong app for my phone so i want to play with that :D

• Like 1

Day 3 of yoga, done!  

Played with the strong app after my quick workout, it's a little fiddly but I'll get the hang of it. 

Workout:  not much time to workout tonight, I had washing going and the kitchen to tidy.  I have a prospective cat sitter coming tomorrow, and since my cat is already terrifying enough my house shouldn't also frighten this poor woman.  

Bench:. 

29#. 5x5

34#. 5x5

39#. 3x5

DL:

74#. 5x5

79#. 2x5. 

• Like 1

No yoga last night, i meant to i really did.  BUT the prospective pet sitter was due and my house needed to be spotless so that took time.  Then she stayed for ages with paper work and because Spencer is an attention whore so she pet him for a while.  It's all good though, now my two babies will have a good sitter while i'm in London being academic.  Then after she was gone tv called to me so i did no working out and no yoga. 

This is Mischa, she is satan in a tiny cat body :)  I love her.

qjeZ2Y9.jpg

Her brother Spencer loves her too

9JEXKOT.jpg

• Like 4

Instead of yoga tonight i decided to eat a whole box of chocolates.  In my defense they are luxury chocolates and i'm sure they will help me spiritually and to relax and things.  Okay, i have no defense but i stand by my decision.

I have plans to ride both days this weekend and plans to workout saturday evening.  

Did some romanian while i was stuffing my face and looked up some poems and small passages; the plan is to copy them down while reading them in a notebook and hopefully over time i'll come to understand whats written.  My thinking is good, whether it'll work is another thing entirely.  

• Like 5

Trail rides!  65 degree weather in February, I'm 100% ok with this!  

D9j0WnP.jpg

3cu96wd.jpg

Phoenix was the man of my dreams today, so well behaved and so freaking clean. Being that he spends all his winter in a mud filled lot, clean is slight miraculous.  

Workout after naps.  Then more glorious weather and obligatory trail ride posts tomorrow.  There'll be a lake involved tomorrow and maybe, if I'm super lucky, a picnic.  

• Like 3

Made it halfway through yoga and had to quit; it was basically 30 minutes resting on the palms of your hands.  I just can't do that, I have nerve damage in my hands and the pressure on my hands and wrists was making me feel sick, so I had to call it after about 18 minutes.  Didn't get my workout in either because I still feel pretty queezy; I'll try to get it in tomorrow.  

I did get to colour this afternoon though and that was fun.  

Chilly trail ride this morning, we did 6 miles around the reserve.

Ready to go!

ZMllSBo.jpg

This was taken seconds before Phoenix decided the dog rushing the fence next to us needed a good kick, he turned and kicked out hard at a dog he had no nope of hitting :). I found out I can handle a phone in one hand and a kicking horse in the other.  His ear is facing the offending dog, silly horse.

mdMUDQt.jpg

DJ79T54.jpg

After the ride I ate lunch then went back to the same part and walked the people trail, 3 miles up and down hills. I think my workouts for today are done.  

In my romanian journal I'm going to try writing things I'm grateful for.  More vocab and I get to make my day more positive.  Today I am grateful for

etbdAUd.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, miss_marissa said:

looks like a fun weekend of riding!

It was beautiful, I can't believe this weather in February!  It's the apocalypse, I'm sure of it.

Week 1 recap:

2 lifting workouts :)

Yoga,  not as much as I had planned, but some.  

Romanian almost everyday.

All the horse riding and fabulous weather.

Monday:

Yoga but no workout, I had planned to lift but I ran out of time.  Moved it to tonight.  

Its hard to feel grateful about things on Monday, especially when people at work are being super annoying, however I made a little list:

• limba româna
  • cuvinte
  • ceai

I also discovered that Calgary university has a bunch of translated Harry Potter recordings in different languages, I think they have 70 different recordings.  I haven't listened to see if the quality is good yet but I'll give it a try tonight.  They only have the philosophers stone in romanian but at least they've got one.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Phoenix91 said:

I also discovered that Calgary university has a bunch of translated Harry Potter recordings in different languages, I think they have 70 different recordings.  I haven't listened to see if the quality is good yet but I'll give it a try tonight.  They only have the philosophers stone in romanian but at least they've got one.  

This is super fascinating and total nerd badassery. Let us know how it goes!

16 hours ago, Phoenix91 said:

It was beautiful, I can't believe this weather in February!  It's the apocalypse, I'm sure of it.

Either I was hallucinating or I swear I killed a mosquito in my house yesterday! 

59 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

This is super fascinating and total nerd badassery. Let us know how it goes!

Either I was hallucinating or I swear I killed a mosquito in my house yesterday! 

I was looking for a written version, 1 because i collect HP's from around the world and 2 because i thought it would help me better learn the language and came across their data base. I'll add a link if it turns out to be worth listening too, right now i can't get the page to open, but that could be my connection being useless.

I doubt you were hallucinating, they sense the nice weather and come out for blood, the little beasts.

Harry potter in all the languages, i haven't listened yet because i am still at work but there page is working now.

http://arts.ucalgary.ca/lrc/home/celebrating-multilingualism-through-harry-potter/harry-potter-editions

Bravo Calgary!!

Edit: I listened and each one is a few minutes of the first chapter.  Probably just to give people a taste of how the language sounds.  Sad it's not the whole thing :(. I did however find a PDF of the whole first book.  

• Like 2