• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Butternut

Sugar Anonymous

This thread is for supporting each other through our failures, achievements, and giving out resources and ideas to help fight the addiction to sugar, processed food, or what ever you want to eliminate in your diet to gain more control.

Sugar is easy to consume but so are un-healthy carbs. Every morning meeting is filled with donuts and juice, lunches are pizza and soda, and after a rough day of work the smell of fast food fills the car, fries and milkshake anyone?  It's like an alcoholic going to a open bar every single day trying to have the courage and strength saying "No thank you"

Rules to thread

To enter the thread (At any time)  all you have to do is answer these questions

• Copy and paste the following the questions:

1. What is the food your trying to eliminate out of your diet?

2. What is your reason?

3. How are you going to fight the cravings?

4. What is it you want to gain out of cutting the food out of your diet?

• If you make a mistake, please tell us about it.  Let us help you move forward. 
  • Realize we are going to have failures, but how are we going to get back up?  
  • Write about your wins, how you got over a sugar calling, or how you said "No thank you" to the morning donut.
  • We're all here to learn from each other to gain control. 
  • Be vulnerable.

Periodically I'm going to post the following for resources on sugar, will power, etc.

• Podcasts
  • Blog post or research papers
  • Questions to self reflect
  • Positive quotes.

Until then, welcome all!  This thread is to help us get through our food addiction. 

• Like 3

1. What is the food you're trying to eliminate out of your diet? Just processed sugar in general.

2. What is your reason? Well, in general we tend to eat too much processed sugar, and that leads to a number of health problems. I am also trying to lose weight. When it comes down to it, I really just don't like how dependent I feel on it and how it's the first thing I run to when I'm stressed. I don't want that anymore.

3. How are you going to fight the cravings? I'm actually on medication right now that reduces my food cravings in general, and that has been really helping. But I also don't have any sweets in the house and am trying not to eat out this month. And I've been sure to drink a lot of water.

4. What is it you want to gain out of cutting the food out of your diet? A better sense of control over my impulses and get a better body composition.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Cataleya said:

2. What is your reason? Well, in general we tend to eat too much processed sugar, and that leads to a number of health problems. I am also trying to lose weight. When it comes down to it, I really just don't like how dependent I feel on it and how it's the first thing I run to when I'm stressed. I don't want that anymore.

This is how I feel. I was dependent on it, and still am.  I'm finding I have things like dates, banana ice cream, but I'm still feeding that dependency.

• Like 1

Sugar and unnecessary carbs (popcorn, a big baked potato, etc).

2. What is your reason?

It makes me moody.  I feel like I can't control my appetite.  If I make a bowl of popcorn, I will eat the whole thing.

Poop.  I wrote these questions, you'd figure I would have answers...  How am I going to fight these cravings?  Have snacks in my car for the drive home.  Do not have the stuff in my house.  Portion control, keep my measuring cups out.

To gain control.  To feel energize and not be moody.  I find when I over eat on the popcorn or rice or bread, my next day is foggy and I'm short tempered. My family doesn't deserve that. 

• Like 3

Very excited to have found you again this challenge!

I'm working on week 5 of the keto diet, meaning no grains, fruits, starchy vegetables (potatoes, carrots, squash), refined sugar.

What I do eat: Meat, dairy, eggs, nuts & seeds, avocados, leafy greens, broccoli, any crucifer, loads of zucchini, plus going crazy with the nuun tabs as of late. Acceptable sweeteners are stevia and xylitol. Occasionally I like vodka, too. 

2. What is your reason?

Weight loss for health, athletic performance, look my best

Salt tabs and eating pure fat

There's no such thing as moderation for me. I have to cut things completely out, otherwise it's 24/7 donut city. All or nothing. 

I'm definitely in again!

1. What is the food your trying to eliminate out of your diet?: Basically anything sugary, candy, chocolate, cake, etc.

2. What is your reason?: My bumber one reason are my allergies but I wouldn't mind losing a few pounds along the way.

3. How are you going to fight the cravings?: Making sure I don't have any sugary food in my house and eating enough healthy meals/snacks so I won't just grab a bite because I'm actually hungry.

4. What is it you want to gain out of cutting the food out of your diet?: No more stomachache and being less bloated and, as I already mentioned, maybe losing a bit of weight. Oh, and gaining a bit more self-discipline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Inazea said:

being less bloated

In my challenge I put "Read about inflammation once a week" because I'm bloated all the time if I don't focus on my diet. And there are a lot of dangers to our health if were always bloated.

If I find some good articles I will share!

• Like 2

1. What is the food your trying to eliminate out of your diet? Everything with big amounts of industrial sugar in it also the "diet" versions of it. 

2. What is your reason? I want to lose body fat and increase my health. This seems like the best way to do so.

Protein, regular meals, trying some jerky next week and beside that, I will just suffer through.
I also thought about drinking one can of Dr Pepper a day, so I have something to look forward to. This way I would still save over 200 g of sugar every day.

I want my health back and lose the weight I gained the last two years also getting some discipline while beating one of my biggest addictions.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:17 PM, Sjard said:

I will just suffer through.

Love it! This is what a lot of us don't do.  We automatically want to get rid of the crave because it's so strong.  With sugar being every where, it's easy to just grab it.

I think about my ancestors, working on a goat farm, in a field, etc. They had these cravings or feeling of hunger and had to suffer through them because they didn't have a choice.  Now we have too many choices and opportunities to stuff ourselves with the things we don't even want!  Hunger is a feeling we can learn to accept and control.  And the beauty of our time is we have food in our fridge and supermarkets open 24/7 to go buy an apple.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think we should all be starving ourselves, but think of this, you've forgotten lunch and someone brings in donuts.  Can you suffer through that craving and hunger to get home and eat real food?  What does more harm to your body, waiting to eat for a few hours or eating a donut?

• Like 1

@Primeval those are awesome! I'm putting those in my grocery cart as we speak.  I'm training for a century and I've been trying to find some electrolytes. Going low carb but training hard, this is well needed.  Thanks!

• Like 1

My favorite sugar free snacks are carrots with hummus or, if I don't have that prepared, nuts. Usually, when I'm occupied with eating other snacks, I tend to forget about my cravings.

• Like 1

Podcast

I love Abel James. When he interviews people, he asks genuine questions.  Plus he keeps all his interviews under an hour.

I listened to this podcast about a year ago, and it made me look at losing weight and how to eat a little differently.  It's not too much about sugar, but its about leaning out and using fat for endurance instead of carbs.

http://fatburningman.com/tawnee-prazak-high-fat-endurance-training-keto-adaptation-the-danger-of-being-too-lean/

• Like 1

Processed sugar, mostly in the form of candy, cookies, etc.

2. What is your reason?

I don't remember how I answered this last time...Because? Erm. Sugar has taken over everything and I need to get rid of it. I've gained weight, and diabetes runs in my family, so I need to nip this habit now.

I'm working on this this challenge. My plans are to keep fruit and "good" snacks around, to eat more veggies and drink more water, and to start prepping meals so I'll have something to grab when I'm in a hurry. (My 2pm and pre-dinner crashes usually send me in search of something sweet, though often only until I can get real food fixed. If it's already fixed, I can skip that! Please also note that I actually have hypoglycemia, so that's why I search for something sweet to get me through until I can get my actual food fixed. I'm hoping reducing my sugar intake and eating better will eliminate this particular issue.)

Happiness! I want to be happy with my body again because right now, I'm tired all the time, I'm gaining weight (up until recently anyway!), and I'm just plain old sad! 

My go to snacks right now are berries with a handful of nuts, sometimes just a handful of nuts, celery + peanut butter, apple slices + peanut butter, carrots + hummus, string cheese, multi-grain crackers with a wedge of Swiss cheese and tomato slices and occasionally a hard-boiled egg...And sometimes I skip the snacking and just go ahead and eat a meal. I presently have leftover steak in the fridge that is begging me to run out and get some veggies to go with it!

• Like 2

Podcast

I love Abel James. When he interviews people, he asks genuine questions.  Plus he keeps all his interviews under an hour.

I listened to this podcast about a year ago, and it made me look at losing weight and how to eat a little differently.  It's not too much about sugar, but its about leaning out and using fat for endurance instead of carbs.

http://fatburningman.com/tawnee-prazak-high-fat-endurance-training-keto-adaptation-the-danger-of-being-too-lean/

Very cool! I will have to listen.

I just made these:

9c8fed7aead77065c08d2fa8208bd7df.jpg

Sugar free chocolate peanut butter truffles!

1/2 c coconut butter, 1/2 c peanut butter, 3 tbsp cocoa, 2 tablespoon hemp hearts (optional), 3 packets stevia

Directions: Melt coconut and peanut butter for 1 min in microwave, then stir in other ingredients. Pour in silicone mold and refrigerate. Start eating in 1 hour!!!

I'm excited, will be bringing these to work today. I have a crappy meeting, but at least there'll be chocolate!

• Like 2

If you make a mistake, please tell us about it.  Let us help you move forward. 

I had three puddings and three cans of dr pepper today, I have no clue how that added up. Now I'm a bit afraid of the weekend.

I had three puddings and three cans of dr pepper today, I have no clue how that added up. Now I'm a bit afraid of the weekend.

Uh oh! How do you feel? Problem solving, how will you prevent this in the future?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sjard said:

It happens! Were you doing something else while you ate/drank these? Had something happened beforehand to upset you? Try to figure out why you reached for sugar, and then brainstorm ways to stop next time. :) 

Also remember, each new meal or snack is your chance to start over, so don't just give up on today!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sjard said:

I slipped up today too. I think it's best to accept that it happened, not beat ourselves up about it and move on, striving to be better tomorrow.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Primeval said:

Uh oh! How do you feel? Problem solving, how will you prevent this in the future?

6 hours ago, PollyannaAgain said:

It happens! Were you doing something else while you ate/drank these? Had something happened beforehand to upset you? Try to figure out why you reached for sugar, and then brainstorm ways to stop next time. :) 

Also remember, each new meal or snack is your chance to start over, so don't just give up on today!

5 hours ago, Inazea said:

I slipped up today too. I think it's best to accept that it happened, not beat ourselves up about it and move on, striving to be better tomorrow.

This is so cool! We're all ready to reflect, accept, and move on. 

And this is how you move forward with what you truly want in life.

@Sjard thank you for sharing. Last night I ate a huge bowl of pop corn. I popped some for my kids and ended up popping some for me. Added butter, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, and a feta cheese.. It was about 4 cups... I ate all of it.