• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Butternut

Sugar Anonymous

4 hours ago, Butternut said:

@Sjard thank you for sharing. Last night I ate a huge bowl of pop corn. I popped some for my kids and ended up popping some for me. Added butter, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, and a feta cheese.. It was about 4 cups... I ate all of it. 

Lol, uh oh. At least it wasn't 5 cups, tho!!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Primeval said:

Lol, uh oh. At least it wasn't 5 cups, tho!!!

lol! Aw thanks @Primeval <_<.   I've been wanting to watch my carb intake, Its A lot harder then I thought!  I mean that day I ate my Veggies, had a green smoothie for breakfast, rode for an 30 minutes, had a half cup of brown rice with bone broth and chicken for post meal. I was doing really good!

But in those moments, I feel like I have no self control.  I put the bowl of pop corn in front of me.  I did "measure" it, "Oh 4 cups, ok, I'll munch on that, and save some for later" But I get this "Ah F@#$ it! " attitude. Sometimes I don't really have any thoughts other then rationalizing why its ok "this time"

Instead of beating myself up about it, I'm moving on. I don't have that self control, but I do have the control of not making it at all.  If the kids want pop corn, they can make it.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Primeval said:

I just made these:

9c8fed7aead77065c08d2fa8208bd7df.jpg

Sugar free chocolate peanut butter truffles!

1/2 c coconut butter, 1/2 c peanut butter, 3 tbsp cocoa, 2 tablespoon hemp hearts (optional), 3 packets stevia

Directions: Melt coconut and peanut butter for 1 min in microwave, then stir in other ingredients. Pour in silicone mold and refrigerate. Start eating in 1 hour!!!

I'm excited, will be bringing these to work today. I have a crappy meeting, but at least there'll be chocolate!

Let me know how these turn out!  I don't have those ingredients in my house, but I'm going grocery shopping Sunday!

• Like 2

Friday Blog

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sugar-cravings/

Mark Sisson is another one of my heroes.  When I am in a funk with my diet and exercise, I go to his site, read a few of his posts and then I'm back on track! (I maybe posting several of his blog posts)

This blog was a fan question he answered.  It's about how to fight your sugar crave and why you may have it.  It's short and sweet.

Weekend goal

If your going out with friends, going to families, etc.  Make a plan! 

How are you going to politely turn down mom's cinnamon rolls? Are you going to turn down those cinnamon rolls? 

What drink are you going to order at the bar? 

Should you eat something before going out to dinner?

These are just examples, I'm sure you can think of your own!

Have a great weekend!

• Like 2

Overall diet is a pretty major factor in sugar cravings, my doctor found out that I tend to have a low blood sugar level, even after eating a meal, so that's probably why I have sugar cravings so often. Looking into one's diet and experimenting a bit could be really helpful!

10 hours ago, Butternut said:

Making a plan is sooo important! It took me a while to not get carried away in social situations but what helped me the most was talking to a friend/family member who'd be there too so it's easier to stay accountable. 

Looking at the menu online beforehand is also very helpful so you can see if there are healthy food options.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2017 at 2:51 AM, Butternut said:

My plan is "fast with black coffee." It's the perfect opportunity to start incorporating IF!

Worst case scenario, I got a stash of protein powder in my purse.

• Like 2

I totally missed this new thread for the new challenge. I'm still doing no/minimal added sugars.

My only offense recently was that I put brown sugar in a pad thai recipe. Pad thai has a kind of sweet sauce and I wasn't up to trying it with stevia this time, but I will try that with recipes in the future. 

I have a thing coming up and I can't decide if I want to treat myself. We got married in December and saved our cake topper. We don't want to let it sit for year. So in March there is an important date for us and we are thinking about thawing it out for that. But it's not a large cake, so I don't think we'll have a ton of servings.

I bet we could get an admin to move it from each challenge to the new one so you don't have to restart it. Or if you post it in the PvP challenge area it gets moved with each challenge. Those ones never have to be 're-started', they just move that forum to the new challenge when it starts. 

• Like 1

Also, my regular offender has been peanut butter. They all have sugar in them, the no stir kinds. And yesterday I bought the peanut butter that is JUST NUTS and you have to stir it. I hate this kind of peanut butter generally. So much work and messy. But I'm willing to give it a try. Maybe I will eat less of it if it is a pain in the ass? :highly_amused:

Maybe I need to try a bigger grocery store and see if I can find a no-stir peanut butter with no sugar? My store is rather small, but I like it because it's close. 

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Also, my regular offender has been peanut butter. They all have sugar in them, the no stir kinds. And yesterday I bought the peanut butter that is JUST NUTS and you have to stir it. I hate this kind of peanut butter generally. So much work and messy. But I'm willing to give it a try. Maybe I will eat less of it if it is a pain in the ass? :highly_amused:

Maybe I need to try a bigger grocery store and see if I can find a no-stir peanut butter with no sugar? My store is rather small, but I like it because it's close. 

My cousin and I DIY'd peanut butter and didn't have to stir it too much. It needs a dash of salt though because yikes. The recipe was basically, oven roast peanuts, toss peanuts into food processor and blend until peanut butter...If you do it, do it in a well-ventilated area...I don't have nut allergies, but started having some serious breathing issues when all that dust started flying...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PollyannaAgain said:

My cousin and I DIY'd peanut butter and didn't have to stir it too much. It needs a dash of salt though because yikes. The recipe was basically, oven roast peanuts, toss peanuts into food processor and blend until peanut butter...If you do it, do it in a well-ventilated area...I don't have nut allergies, but started having some serious breathing issues when all that dust started flying...

I don't know why but that hadn't occurred to me. I will try this when I run out of the new jar (which is small). And we go through PB pretty quickly so it shouldn't be a problem to store homemade PB. Plus I could add in some almonds. I would prefer to be eating almond butter but it is so expensive, and if I made homemade I could do half/half. 

I assume you store it in the fridge? 

24 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I don't know why but that hadn't occurred to me. I will try this when I run out of the new jar (which is small). And we go through PB pretty quickly so it shouldn't be a problem to store homemade PB. Plus I could add in some almonds. I would prefer to be eating almond butter but it is so expensive, and if I made homemade I could do half/half. 

I assume you store it in the fridge? 

Almonds! Yummy! You can do almond butter the same way. And yes, in the fridge, which makes it a pain for spreading later because if you think the stir kind is stiff, just wait 'til you try to spread homemade...

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 4:30 PM, Inazea said:

Overall diet is a pretty major factor in sugar cravings, my doctor found out that I tend to have a low blood sugar level, even after eating a meal, so that's probably why I have sugar cravings so often. Looking into one's diet and experimenting a bit could be really helpful!

The best of luck to ya!  When I'm looking for new blogs, I'll find something that goes along with this.

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 4:30 PM, Inazea said:

Looking at the menu online beforehand is also very helpful so you can see if there are healthy food options.

This is brilliant. Love it!

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 0:40 PM, Primeval said:

My plan is "fast with black coffee." It's the perfect opportunity to start incorporating IF!

Worst case scenario, I got a stash of protein powder in my purse.

How did it go for ya?  I love intermittent fasting, but sometimes my mind can't handle it.  I only do it if I plan it out.  I can't wing it anymore or I'll end up eating double the amount of calories.

6 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I have a thing coming up and I can't decide if I want to treat myself. We got married in December and saved our cake topper. We don't want to let it sit for year. So in March there is an important date for us and we are thinking about thawing it out for that. But it's not a large cake, so I don't think we'll have a ton of servings.

As long as it doesn't set you back, do it! I mean to me, that's an experience. 

5 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Plus I could add in some almonds. I would prefer to be eating almond butter but it is so expensive, and if I made homemade I could do half/half. 

ooooo I like that idea.  And even if you end up adding a little sugar to it, YOU ARE ADDING it!  You know how much is in it! 

5 hours ago, PollyannaAgain said:

Almonds! Yummy! You can do almond butter the same way. And yes, in the fridge, which makes it a pain for spreading later because if you think the stir kind is stiff, just wait 'til you try to spread homemade...

I wonder if you mix coconut oil in with it, if that helps???? 

My 12 year old reminded me I'm on day 50 without sugar : - l  I can't believe it to be honest. 

So here's your Goal this week. (I always keep goals short and sweet because I feel like we're all got a lot of other goals and such, so keep it to yourself or share!  It's upto you!)

At some point, visualize yourself when you get to the point that you want.  After focusing on it for a minute or two than ask yourself "How am I going to get there" or "Why am I going to get there?" 

Your brain will automatically start looking for answers.

• Like 3

I had a soda today (for the first time in like two weeks, too) and am not pleased with it. Not sure why I had one, other than just to have one. I feel gross, so back off my options for drinks it goes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cataleya said:

I had a soda today (for the first time in like two weeks, too) and am not pleased with it. Not sure why I had one, other than just to have one. I feel gross, so back off my options for drinks it goes.

Whenever I haven't drank soda for a long time, that first one tastes like absolute swill. I still sometimes drink diet coke, but only if I have had a really salty meal, even then with how infrequent I drink it, it tastes weird. 

9 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Isn't amazing How you feel when you go back to it?? Focusing on that feeling gives to your memory. So next time it comes up You visually and remember how it made me feel. 

I do sparkling water with cranberry juice from time to time. It's crisp with a hint of sweetness. 

Article/blog Wednesday

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/wellbeing/diet/10634081/John-Yudkin-the-man-who-tried-to-warn-us-about-sugar.html

This was an interesting article.  I feel bad for John Yudkin, he was one of those scientist that didn't get noticed for he's work until he was long gone. The whole "Fat Free" culture pushed his work under the rug.

• Like 1

@Primeval how did those chocolates turn out??  I really want to try these Fudge Bombs.

I've been doing very well going low carbish!  I've cut out dates, figs, and I'm not eating as much fruit as I used to.  I'm going with the Whole30 guide lines (but I'm accepting wine on occasions), and I'm 5 days in!

Tonight I'm surprising Mr. Butternut by taking him out to dinner.  I took @Inazea advice and scoped out menus when choosing a restaurant.  I found a Italian restaurant that's only open for dinner and has an awesome fresh menu.  Soooo  I'm feeling super strong with my choices this week ladies and gents!

How's it going for you guys? 

• Like 2

I had a cookie this morning but I'm limiting it to 1. My husband, who never bakes, made cookies last night and boy was that a surprise when I woke up this morning. He made them with sugar free baking splenda, but the chocolate chips were normal. 

Edited to add: I had the one because I wanted to be nice. He doesn't ever bake but he cooks when I ask. So i wanted to support his cooking adventures. :) And it was delicious! #NORAGRETS

• Like 1

1. What is the food your trying to eliminate out of your diet? Processed sugar, as well as limiting carb intake.

2. What is your reason? I've been gaining weight and eating more processed sugar/sweets since I got married, I'd like to lose some weight.

3. How are you going to fight the cravings? I don't really get cravings for sugary things (I'm more of a umami person) but carbs will be tough because I love potatoes and pasta. I'm going to combat this by not fully cutting out the carbs I love most (cold turkey doesn't work for me) and just reducing my usual intake to half or a third of what I usually consume.

4. What is it you want to gain out of cutting the food out of your diet? Hopefully it will help stall my continuing weight gain. Wish me luck!

I’ve been doing great so far except for the part where I ate a mini cupcake covered in frosting on Wednesday. Reason? It was free. Free food is my Achilles heel. 

• Like 2

I'm still messing up more than I'd like, but I've got my "extras" down to half of what they were before I started putting in an official effort, despite Valentine's being last week. I'm not much of a fan of those stupid heart-shaped boxes of chocolate anyway. Too much stuff I don't really like in them!

I think I might start writing down the sugar that I do eat. I don't want to do a whole food journal thing again because it was only marginally helpful, but I think if I write down the sugar I eat and maybe why I wanted it, I'll continue doing better. Honestly, it might be what makes me actually quit...there were a few times when I was recording before that I didn't eat a snack or something solely because I didn't want to write it down in that darn notebook!

Oh, I've also noticed that the two days I messed things up this week were Tuesday and Thursday--both days after a lifting session, so I might need to do some day-after meal tweaking there too to prevent the sugar cravings.

• Like 2

I've been to a birthday party and asked for healthy snacks instead of cake so that went well! I did however eat a chocolate bar yesterday after I've been through quite a bit but I feel like that one was more than ok to eat. My cravings got less and less after I started eating more snacks though so maybe I really should eat more.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PollyannaAgain said:

I'm still messing up more than I'd like, but I've got my "extras" down to half of what they were before I started putting in an official effort, despite Valentine's being last week. I'm not much of a fan of those stupid heart-shaped boxes of chocolate anyway. Too much stuff I don't really like in them!

I think I might start writing down the sugar that I do eat. I don't want to do a whole food journal thing again because it was only marginally helpful, but I think if I write down the sugar I eat and maybe why I wanted it, I'll continue doing better. Honestly, it might be what makes me actually quit...there were a few times when I was recording before that I didn't eat a snack or something solely because I didn't want to write it down in that darn notebook!

Oh, I've also noticed that the two days I messed things up this week were Tuesday and Thursday--both days after a lifting session, so I might need to do some day-after meal tweaking there too to prevent the sugar cravings.

Me too! I'm always super hungry the day after a heavy lifting day. I have to plan a vegetable and fruit heavy day for those days so I can stay full and not resort to junky snacks. 

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 9:50 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

I had a cookie this morning but I'm limiting it to 1. My husband, who never bakes, made cookies last night and boy was that a surprise when I woke up this morning. He made them with sugar free baking splenda, but the chocolate chips were normal. 

Edited to add: I had the one because I wanted to be nice. He doesn't ever bake but he cooks when I ask. So i wanted to support his cooking adventures. :) And it was delicious! #NORAGRETS

That is so sweet (no pun attended).  Its cute he used Splenda.  Was he thinking about you when he did it?

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:21 AM, Plazmotic said:

I’ve been doing great so far except for the part where I ate a mini cupcake covered in frosting on Wednesday. Reason? It was free. Free food is my Achilles heel. 

Welcome @Plazmotic! I love your avatar! Anyways.  It's an endless spiral when you let a little hear, and a little there, then everyday your slowly adding a little more.  This was me in December.  It's amzing how fast you lose bloat when you cut out sugar.  And you have more energy (after the detox).

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 11:55 AM, PollyannaAgain said:

Writing that stuff down is a great idea!  Doing it so small will help you stick to it.  I've been writing "OA" on my daily calendar for "Over Ate" and it's really nice because on the days I over eat and really shame myself for doing it, I'll notice that I haven't done it for a long time on my calendar, than I won't feel as bad. 

Do you have a complex carb like sweet potatoe, pumpkin, squash, etc. after your done working out?

21 hours ago, Inazea said:

I've been to a birthday party and asked for healthy snacks instead of cake so that went well! I did however eat a chocolate bar yesterday after I've been through quite a bit but I feel like that one was more than ok to eat. My cravings got less and less after I started eating more snacks though so maybe I really should eat more.

So you asked everyone to do healthy snacks and they did??  Was it your birthday?

Yesterday my husband and I went out.  It was an Italian restaurant.  The worst I did was we shared a bottle of wine (we were their for almost 3 hours), and we bought a fried provolone cheese with Brushetta on it....  It was a huge chunk, and we split it..  It was so damn delicious.

Today I'm craving carbs like crazy, this is only because I over ate yesterday and I'm home all day.. I'm really fighting the crave by drinking ALOT of water.

But does anyone else do this, you eat something you don't want to but since you ate it you just get into a trance that its ok to keep eating more of that food?

For example, you eat a cupcake, then later you feel "Well I ate that cupcake I might as well eat another" or "I've done bad already today, might as well make it worth it and eat more" 

It sounds so stupid as I write on it, but I've had this mentality for a long time.  For some reason this month, I'm not feeling that way at all. I'm happy and satisfied with my choices (Most of the time)