• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Butternut

Sugar Anonymous

1 minute ago, Butternut said:

and we bought a fried provolone cheese with Brushetta on it.... 

Okay but Bruschetta is delicious and worth it as an occasional treat. I hadn't had any for a long time but treated myself to some on Thursday. No regrets.

Also I find it helpful to be reminded of this so here goes: general reminder that this is a process and there are bound to be setbacks and days where you just don't care. This is okay and natural. Just remember to reflect on those times and to not let it become a cycle. Self forgiveness and empathy are an important part of this journey. So if you wouldn't say it to a friend, don't say it to yourself.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

Also I find it helpful to be reminded of this so here goes: general reminder that this is a process and there are bound to be setbacks and days where you just don't care. This is okay and natural. Just remember to reflect on those times and to not let it become a cycle. Self forgiveness and empathy are an important part of this journey. So if you wouldn't say it to a friend, don't say it to yourself.

YES! It is so cool you feel that way

I started doing that last year.  Instead of beating myself up for my mistakes like a mean big sister, giving the compassion helped.  I am so much stronger then I ever have.  If I did what I did two years ago, it would have taken me days to get out of the cycle of still eating junk and beating myself up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Butternut said:

So you asked everyone to do healthy snacks and they did??  Was it your birthday?

It was a friend's birthday party and she happily cut some bell pepper, carrots and tomatos for me, it was really nice.

• Like 3

Monday!!!

My husband had me make a list for him of all the foods he CAN eat on the Whole30.

Goal this week:

Focus on the real food you CAN eat! The natural sugars and sweets that grow naturally. 

Apples

Berries

Dates

Figs

Sweet Potatoes

Mangos!!

When you don't feel deprived you are more likely to succed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Butternut said:

Monday!!!

My husband had me make a list for him of all the foods he CAN eat on the Whole30.

Goal this week:

Focus on the real food you CAN eat! The natural sugars and sweets that grow naturally. 

Apples

Berries

Dates

Figs

Sweet Potatoes

Mangos!!

When you don't feel deprived you are more likely to succed. 

True! And the less I eat sugar the sweeter everything else tastes. I tried to drink diet coke with a salty dinner the other day and it tasted so syrupy to me. Fruit seems sweet enough these days. 

I do use some fake sugars to make my oatmeal in the morning but I've gotten to where I need very little. 

• Like 1

Whoops I really fell off the wagon yesterday. My friend threw an Oscars party/potluck and I had two cupcakes and half a bottle of red wine! I tried to be healthy otherwise and ate beet soup, homemade vegan sushi, kimchi wraps, and salad.

But today is another day. Time to get back on track.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Plazmotic said:

Whoops I really fell off the wagon yesterday. My friend threw an Oscars party/potluck and I had two cupcakes and half a bottle of red wine! I tried to be healthy otherwise and ate beet soup, homemade vegan sushi, kimchi wraps, and salad.

But today is another day. Time to get back on track.

I told my husband the other day "I take care of my body so my body will take care of me for when I do indulge"

Sounds like a lot of fun, an oscar party!? Did you get to dress up?

6 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

True! And the less I eat sugar the sweeter everything else tastes. I tried to drink diet coke with a salty dinner the other day and it tasted so syrupy to me. Fruit seems sweet enough these days. 

I do use some fake sugars to make my oatmeal in the morning but I've gotten to where I need very little. 

Right on! Yes fruit is so much sweeter now for me too!  I find certain wines are syrupy when they used to not be.

11 minutes ago, Butternut said:

Sounds like a lot of fun, an oscar party!? Did you get to dress up?

The dress-up theme was "in memorium", so I wore my Princess Leia t-shirt in memory of Carrie Fisher.

• Like 2

I avoided all the Fat Tuesday treats yesterday. Which for those who don't know is a celebration of eating sweet things, at least around these parts. Some co-workers were annoyed at my strength, but I prevailed! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I avoided all the Fat Tuesday treats yesterday. Which for those who don't know is a celebration of eating sweet things, at least around these parts. Some co-workers were annoyed at my strength, but I prevailed! 

Yay!! Yes Fat Tuesday is huge here. Kudos to you!!

• Like 2

Wednesday Blog:

well I don't have a blog but this video with Kary Randouplh is a really neat perspective on sugar addiction (addictions altogether). 

Take 20 minutes sometime and listen to it. I've never thought of cutting something out similar to "separation anxiety" but it makes a lot of sense. Attachment to certain foods has always stopped me in my tracks to get me to my goals because the anxiety of it gave me, but after listening to this it makes me realize it is just an attachment!

• Like 3

So the weekend is coming and it's  almost our last weekend.

After reading everyone's challenges, seeing how everyone's progress is, we all just need to relax now. 

You've be created your habits. You've gotten the knowledge. 

Now use it and trust yourself. 

You know now what certain foods do to you, you know what you should or shouldn't be eating. You know that a moment in experience isn't going to hurt your lifetime of health.

This weekend just trust yourself. 

Don't let the new diet tell you what you should be doing. Don't let your aunt Vicki tell you what's wrong with your views.

You know what is right for you. 

Just trust yourself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Butternut said:

Not sure if it's the moon but I'm craving sugary desserts like crazy.. any suggestions to help calm it ?

What are you craving, @butternut? 

Also, what sorts of ingredients do you have around your house to whip something up? Or would you be willing to go to a store?

12 hours ago, Primeval said:

What are you craving, @butternut? 

Also, what sorts of ingredients do you have around your house to whip something up? Or would you be willing to go to a store?

I'm craving something cakey....  Like banana bread, chocolate cakes, brownies.  I do my grocery shopping today or tomorrow. So I am totally willing to go.  Got any ideas?  But don't you have a brownie recipe?

But I did find this banana bread I'm going to try.  I just need to buy coconut flour.

George's Paleo Banana Bread Recipe

Ingredients

• 4 bananas, yellow (they do not need to be overly ripe but you can if you want)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup almond butter (or any nut butter, i.e. macadamia, pecan, etc)
  • 4 tablespoons grass-fed butter, melted (can substitute coconut oil)
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • pinch of sea salt
  • Like 1

@butternut Just found these, too. Super low carb:

LC Brownies

1/2 cup melted butter

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 cup erythritol

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 cup almond flour

1 tsp baking powder

*** I also saw it printed with 1/2 c stevia in place of the erythritol, if you prefer stevia

Toppings:

melted chocolate

Sea salt

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. grease 9 inch square tin. set aside.

2. Mix butter and cocoa until smooth. Add Erythritol and eggs and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Stir in almond flour and baking powder.

3. Spread into baking pan and bake for 25 mins.

• Like 1

ooooh man, thanks! 

We got pizza tonight.  I haven't indulged in pizza almost all month.  That seemed to get my baked good feeling out.  But I am still going to make some brownies and that banana bread. 

• Like 1

So this is the last week of the challenge!

I'm going to try doing this again next month.  But should I make it more "challenging"?  any opinions?

Goal this week,

Answer this question: do you miss sugar? Why or why not?  

• Like 1

So I must say, I do and don't miss sugar.

What I'm discovering is it is a great way to avoid unnecessary calories.   

For me I'm finding I can sleep better, feel my moods, be less moody, and also I haven't caught a cold yet since January. Everyone in my house, school, and work has been sick, and I made the realization, I have not been sick yet.  I might have had a day where I felt something coming on, so I kept it really easy, but I have not been sick for days.

Sugar was meant for special occasions. I'm on day 71 without sugar.  Yesterday it was the first time my in-laws and us got together and my sister in-law brought a white chocolate mousse with fresh berries.  I ate the berries and poured 1/2 and 1/2 over it, and it was delicious.  But I kind of feel like I have the strength to say no whenever I want too... So why not say yes to that special occasion?!

Did you build strength this time around with Sugar? or Carbs? what ever you decided to cut out?

• Like 1