**Catchy Title Here**

Hello,

I'm new here, as you could probably guess. I'm not really sure where I fit into the Nerd Fitness world. I just know that I have not ever been interested in joining a fitness blog or forum until I read the information that Steve shared. I'm 33 and pretty overweight. I would like to blame it all on my medicine, but let's be honest. Cupcakes, Reese cups, and other random junk had a lot to do with it. That, and a very sedentary lifestyle.

See, I became increasingly ill about 2 years ago. Headaches, joint pain, body aches, etc. Diagnosis: Fibromyalgia. Great. That's not going away. So I think I used that as a crutch. I allowed myself to lay in bed and blame the fibro. But that changed about 3 weeks ago. I hadn't found this blog yet, but I had decided to join the local YMCA. I started slowly. 10 mins on the bike was all I could handle. But the next day, a little more. Then more. You get the picture. Then I started with weights instead of cardio, just to see if that was better for me. I LOVE IT!! I feel so energized, powerful, and incredible after a workout now. That wasn't happening after cardio.

I've changed little things here and there in my diet, but not too much at once. I realized though that my body is craving healthy things rather than sugar and fatty crap. That right there is amazing to me. It's like my body knows what it needs and has all along. I just wasn't paying attention. Well I am now. And I'm going to get involved in the forums here in case I can be of any assistance to someone else that is also dealing with chronic pain. By the way, I've gone from 3 pills a day for fibro down to 1. I've also lost 5 pounds.

Plus, some days I may need that extra push from another member here. Someone may need to give me a virtual kick in the ass to get into the gym.

My main goals are to fit back into my clothes from 2 years ago, look good naked, and to walk across the stage in June with confidence! When I walk that stage for my Bachelor's, I will not be the large woman I am right now. I will be lean, sexy, and proud! Just wait and see.

• Like 2

Hey Fitchick! I'm new too. :)

I just finished my psych degree too! (At the grand old age of...around the same as you, lol). And have chronic health concerns (total thyroid removal due to cancer a few years ago).

It sounds like you've done an amazing job taking the first steps and getting on track, I'm totally inspired. :)

Just wanted to say hi and welcome from another newbie, sounds like we have a lot in common so I'll be following to see how things are going for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
18 hours ago, FitChick_Maybe said:

Thanks! My degree is in psychology. Next will be a masters in applied behavior analysis. :)

What about you? What are your goals? Any advice? 

That's amazing! Good luck in your masters course.

And as far as goals for me right now, I'm not going to school for anything. I dropped out actually because it was severely impacting my mental health, and in turn my physical health, plus it was just completely unaffordable for me at the time. As far as fitness goals, I'm just trying to lose a little over 30 lbs and build up some muscle/strength. I can't offer much advice though since I'm just starting out, but starting is the hardest part, so just by being here you're already on the right track. c:

• Like 1

Current Challenge:

Arkham Origins

Arkham, I understand how the stress of college can translate to physical illness. It is tough. I hope that you follow your goals, even if they don't include college at this point. I will be here cheering you on! 

RevQu, looks like we already found accountability buddies! I will gladly assist with the encouragement. Having chronic illness is so frustrating. I'm hoping to start a program at my local gym for people like me. It truly is getting past the first few workouts. And then maybe a bad flare up day here and there. 

I'm here if y'all need a friend! Oh crap, my southern accent just showed up. Lol. You know what I mean! Always willing to listen or offer encouragement. :)

• Like 1

Good luck on your path! Remember, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" so you are absolutely right about changing things slowly, but consistently. Habits are an incredible force. 

The fact that you feel energized after weight training instead of cardio sounds very strange to me, since fo me in quite the opposite, but hey! If it works for you is awesome. Dont fix till is broken :D 

Think about joining the current challenge, it will help you to keep track of your progress :D

• Like 1

"A single spark of passion can change a man forever
A moment in a lifetime is all it takes to break it"

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lpKBtgNBhB25X29RhKQVD5QgbYu0xAo3Bbfzpsj4YOc/edit#gid=0 - My Life Roadmap, updating :D

15 minutes ago, Skomenk said:

Good luck on your path! Remember, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" so you are absolutely right about changing things slowly, but consistently. Habits are an incredible force. 

The fact that you feel energized after weight training instead of cardio sounds very strange to me, since fo me in quite the opposite, but hey! If it works for you is awesome. Dont fix till is broken :D 

Think about joining the current challenge, it will help you to keep track of your progress :D

Thanks so much! I do cardio some days along with my strength training so I'm not anti-cardio! I suppose anything that gets your heart rate up and endorphins flowing has the potential to give you that energetic "high". So I think it boils down to whatever works, keep doing it. Right?

well, i'm no expert but i have read several times that cardio help you to prevent depression, and in my case it worked great. Weight training is also great.The best way to lose fat is to use them both. Weight training helps you to lose fat because it will increase your muscles, increasing in this way the ammount on calories you burn even at rest, since muscle is an active tissue. Cardio will help you directly burning calories during workouts ( of course weight training burn calories too during the workout, but not as musch as cardio ). 

"A single spark of passion can change a man forever
A moment in a lifetime is all it takes to break it"

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lpKBtgNBhB25X29RhKQVD5QgbYu0xAo3Bbfzpsj4YOc/edit#gid=0 - My Life Roadmap, updating :D

4 minutes ago, Skomenk said:

well, i'm no expert but i have read several times that cardio help you to prevent depression, and in my case it worked great. Weight training is also great.The best way to lose fat is to use them both. Weight training helps you to lose fat because it will increase your muscles, increasing in this way the ammount on calories you burn even at rest, since muscle is an active tissue. Cardio will help you directly burning calories during workouts ( of course weight training burn calories too during the workout, but not as musch as cardio ). 

I have read so much conflicting information regarding which burns more. I personally enjoy weight training more, but as I said, I still use cardio. It depends on the day. I'm still very new to all fitness training, so I can't say which has been better. I was very athletic as a teen and I used to run daily. Sure, I kept a lean figure but I also had incredible metabolism before age and child-rearing caught up to me. At this point, I found it best to primarily use weight training as it will continue to strengthen my body after I'm done my workout. :)

• Like 1
Thanks for your support! I'm definitely up for the Accountability Buddy thing I read in a previous email from Steve. Whatdya say?

I'm super new and have no idea how the buddies work, but I'm game for learning and could sure use some accountability!

I'm going to join the current challenge and post a plan today. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
On 2/12/2017 at 7:52 AM, FitChick_Maybe said:

Arkham, I understand how the stress of college can translate to physical illness. It is tough. I hope that you follow your goals, even if they don't include college at this point. I will be here cheering you on!

Thanks so much!

College is not on the table for me as of right now, but I plan to go back after my boyfriend finishes his schooling and gets a job in his field (so hopefully like 2 or 3 years?) I feel like I would do much better the next time around having his support, plus I have plently of time to prepare myself mentally. lol

I'll be here to cheer you on as well! (:

• Like 1

Current Challenge:

Arkham Origins

On 2/10/2017 at 9:01 PM, FitChick_Maybe said:

And I'm going to get involved in the forums here in case I can be of any assistance to someone else that is also dealing with chronic pain.

Welcome!  And I am excited to have found you.  My wife has had a Fibromyalgia diagnosis since she was 18.  We find that diet and exercise help, but it's hard for her to get through the initial pain/inflammation/stress to a point where the benefits of exercise outweigh the punishment on her body.  Any advice?

• Like 1

Current Challenge: TBD

Past Challenges: Road to Redemption  Spartan! 006 Triwizard Wonder (1/2) Bourne Foundations Storyteller

"Come stay a while and listen" - Deckard

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf 

27 minutes ago, Mr.Six said:

Welcome!  And I am excited to have found you.  My wife has had a Fibromyalgia diagnosis since she was 18.  We find that diet and exercise help, but it's hard for her to get through the initial pain/inflammation/stress to a point where the benefits of exercise outweigh the punishment on her body.  Any advice?

Hi Mr. Six. My diagnosis is still new, still under a year. And I am very new to fitness. However, what I have done is taken ibuprofen for pain and inflammation before and sometimes even after a workout depending on how long I work out and what I have done. I really have to give myself a lot of pep talks to get in the gym. I knew it was going to hurt like hell, but I also knew that I needed to make a change. Strengthening the joints and muscles can go a long way in providing overall well being even with fibromyalgia. So it's really a lot of holding myself accountable. I tell myself, my boyfriend, and my kids that I intend to go to the gym the next day by a certain time. They act as additional accountability even when I really don't feel like pushing myself. They are my cheering section, if you will.

However, we know our bodies and if she feels that pushing herself more than a few days a week is causing more harm than good, by all means don't make her push it. We still have to listen to our bodies. I'm still learning what mine needs.

As an example, today I was physically not well enough to hit the gym. I've truly just gotten motivated to move and it's almost 3 pm. But I think I can blame lack of sleep. So, perhaps another bit of advice, setting a decent bedtime and sticking to it. Even if I'm not tired, I still force myself to lay down by a certain time most nights. Last night was not one of those nights. Today I didn't hit the gym. Coincidence? Perhaps...As I learn more things I will surely post them here for all to see. Have you seen if there is a particular thread just for chronic pain sufferers?

~Kris

Thanks Kris.  I know that the kids are a big motivator for Mrs. Six too (or the thought of not being able to play with them if she gets to the worst end of her pain spectrum), and I really like the idea of scheduling the gym time in advance.  Our littlest is only 7 months so consistent sleep isn't stellar, but I expect it to improve soon and I do my best to manage the bulk of the night-time needs so the Mrs. can capitalize on the rest as much as possible.

I'm not aware of a chronic pain thread and I haven't had the best results with the search function for the forums...  If we need to, it never hurts to start one.

Current Challenge: TBD

Past Challenges: Road to Redemption  Spartan! 006 Triwizard Wonder (1/2) Bourne Foundations Storyteller

"Come stay a while and listen" - Deckard

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf