A Sherkasta's Journey begins...

Love_Of_Snuggles

The forest is silent; the animals still, waiting. Suddenly a Sherkasta stumbles from the shrubs into the open meadow. Her black striped, white coat standing out in stark contrast to the rich green around her. Her simple shirt was streaked with dirt and there was a small tear in her brown wool pants. Her boots, caked with mud, were of an indistinguishable color.

This past month was one of trial and of insight. Having journeyed far from her home in the north to seek out the wisdom of the Forest Sage, she is now ready to continue her journey. Though her people are traditionally barbarians, Snuggles has chosen the path of the Assassin. Lacking in the brute strength most of her people have, she makes up for it in stealth and endurance.

Tonight she will rest in this beautiful meadow, under the stars. She will regroup and plan the next leg of her journey. Tomorrow she will return to the stable, collect Atlas, her faithful steed, and begin her Epic Quest.

The Forest Sage showed her that, though she is making progress, she is going to have to get tough about her physical therapy.

*My first goal is I need to work on making my Physical Therapy a daily habit. For this first challenge I will aim for 3 days/ 1 full set, 4 days some PT.

• Trunk Rotation 10 times

• Bridge 10 times

• Spinal stretch, Hold for 15 seconds 3 times both sides

• Dog to Camel pose 10 time

• Quadriceps Stretch, Hold for 15 seconds 3 times both sides

• Shoulder Rolls, forward and backward, 10 count each

Week #1 of my challenge = .75(STR) & .75(DEX) bonus slice of cake or pie

Week #2 of my challenge = .75(STR) & .75(DEX) bonus slice of cake or pie

Week #3 of my challenge = .75(STR) & .75(DEX) bonus slice of cake or pie

Week #4 of my challenge = .75(STR) & .75(DEX) bonus slice of cake or pie

*With the weather getting better, it’s time to stop riding Atlas (the Bus) all the time. I need to walk at least 7 of the 10 trips each week. Next month this will graduate to a builder goal.

Week #1 of my challenge = .75(STA)

Week #2 of my challenge = .75(STA)

Week #3 of my challenge = .75(STA)

Week #4 of my challenge = .75(STA)

*My diet has also been neglected over the last couple of months. Eating proper meals is just as important as eating good food. For this goal I will incorporate and/or modify all the things I have covered in past goals. Next month this will graduate to a builder goal.

• 2 Servings of Fruit every day

• 2 Servings of Veggies every day

• No more than 3 servings of meat every week

• No more than 2 meals or snacks where meat is present, but not a serving (example: Bacon bits)

• Eat 3 meals and 1 snack every day (I may miss one meal a week)

• 8 cups of water & tea every day

Week #1 of my challenge = .25(CON)

Week #2 of my challenge = .25(CON)

Week #3 of my challenge = .25(CON)

Week #4 of my challenge = .25(CON)  

*Finally I need to develop my Assassin Skills. For this challenge I will work on my lock picking. This will include 3 parts. (will be put on hold until Grad school work is complete

1. Practice at least 2 hours a week

2. Obtain 2-3 new locks to practice on

3. Attend the Lockpickers Meet-up on 3-7

Part #1 of my challenge = 1(DEX)

Part #2 of my challenge = 1(WIS)

Part #3 of my challenge = 1(CHA)

Builder Goals-

• Continue to track healthy habits

• Take time to write 2 times a week

• Take 5 minutes, 3 times a week to meditate

Pass- Gain 1 (WIS)

Fail- Lose 1 (WIS)

The successful completion of this challenge will also award a bonus treat (fun experience) at it's conclusion.

Fellow Rebels, please help me come up with some affordable, (under $50) activities that I could do, without driving. I live in Seattle and want to do something different but ties in with my overall goals. Or is just super cool! :)

• Like 1

Khajiit Assassin in Training

“Even the word Hopeless...isn't void of Hope."

Nice challenge! I'll admit, I had to look up what a sherkasta is, but the story is awesome! For the affordable activities, have you considered looking up local or community gardens? The last time I was out in that neck of the woods, someone told me that community gardens were pretty common, and formed a nice support group to help each other out. I don't know what the cost or distance from you is, but that would fit in with healthy eating, as you could grow some of your own food. 

Apparently a lot of museums also have free admission on the first Thursday of each month. I know that's not an ideal time to go wandering, but again, might be worth looking into!. As spring approaches, there might also be farmers' markets and fishing markets available to go visit as well. One of the things that assassins in general and my parkour group really encourage is getting out and exploring. Find a local park that you can do dead hangs in, or a playground that would let you clamber around things and re-orient your bodyweight movements. There's plenty to do out there, it's just hard to bust through the "adult" mindset of "I can't do that" or "that's inappropriate" (it's frequently not). 

You got this!

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

2 hours ago, Manarelle said:

the story is awesome!

Thank you Manarelle. I've never really done a story line before and I thought this would be a fun way to work on my creative side along with my challenge. 

You have some really great ideas. I actually live 2 blocks away from a park with a totally kickin play area. If I go between 7-9pm it's also pretty empty. Part of the reason I joined the Assassins is my love of exploring. I will totally look at the museums idea. I'm a super nerd so that would be right up my alley. :) 

• Like 1

Day one is OK so far. I did some grocery shopping yesterday to prep for this next week's meals. Tonight will be super busy with cooking, cleaning and prepping. The nicer weather though has me itching to get outside and walk some more. I'll make sure I make time for that too tonight. I have to make sure I don't over do it. Last week I twisted wrong and my back has been tender. 

"If back starts, just starts, to feel sore, I need to stop and rest!

• Like 1

@ mom2sjm, I'm totally loving lock picking. You can gt a really basic set through amazon or Ebay for $10-15. Here's a link to the Meet Up group https://www.meetup.com/Seattle-Lockpicking/events/237463577/   Basically it's just a room full of people picking locks. If you have some to bring, that can be helpful. The leader, Dune, was kind enough to give me a mini intro which got me started. It is mostly an adult group so if your boys are younger, they may be exposed to Adult talk, 

• Like 2

So far, so good. I had 1 technical error, I had lunch before midnight so food intake is a bit off, but levels out to where I should be so I'm not sweating it. Got 20 minutes of practice with lock picking in. Got some PT in yesterday and today, planning a full set tomorrow. I've been good so far with logging my food intake and other healthy habits. Lets see how long I can keep it up! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Love_Of_Snuggles said:

@ mom2sjm, I'm totally loving lock picking. You can gt a really basic set through amazon or Ebay for $10-15. Here's a link to the Meet Up group https://www.meetup.com/Seattle-Lockpicking/events/237463577/   Basically it's just a room full of people picking locks. If you have some to bring, that can be helpful. The leader, Dune, was kind enough to give me a mini intro which got me started. It is mostly an adult group so if your boys are younger, they may be exposed to Adult talk, 

thanks for this!!  I'm going to look into it.  My boys are 17 and sadly have heard adult talk (they watch ALOT of you tube) but we'll see, I think they'd find it really interesting.

• Like 2

Rock Gnome Assassin

Lvl 28

I'm struggling a bit this morning. I forgot my water bottle last night and am very dehydrated. Trying to fix that and my killer headache. I think I'll get a second water bottle so I can always have one at work.

I hope everyone else is doing well with their challenges. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Love_Of_Snuggles said:

So far, so good. I had 1 technical error, I had lunch before midnight so food intake is a bit off, but levels out to where I should be so I'm not sweating it. Got 20 minutes of practice with lock picking in. Got some PT in yesterday and today, planning a full set tomorrow. I've been good so far with logging my food intake and other healthy habits. Lets see how long I can keep it up! 

That's gotta be confusing, working over night but tracking across days. Good luck staying hydrated! It's amazing how much of a difference it makes just having the bottle close to hand. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2017 at 0:45 PM, Manarelle said:

That's gotta be confusing, working over night but tracking across days

It's been one of my side challenges and I finally decided that my meals don't need to be in the traditional timeline. My first meal of a logging day is generally lunch, then dinner, then breakfast at night when I get up.

Feeling much better now that I have had a good amount of water and I put my water bottle in my bag so I don't forget it! lol

• Like 1

The winter rains have come to the crystal forest but Snuggles remains undaunted in her journey. She finds comfort with a warm fire and a good meal at the end of a long day. The discomfort of walking in the rain is merely a challenge for her mind to overcome. Others complain about the rain, but she finds changing clothes easy enough that she saves her complaining for other things.

Having become dehydrated earlier this week she is extra careful to have water with her at all times. (There is s pun in there somewhere…) Remember to do her physical therapy is still a challenge, but she is completing a little every day. Pairing that with healthier eating habits, she is feeling more energized and sleeping better.  

Lock picking practice is the highlight of her morning. The satisfaction of the metallic click of the lock opening still gives her a thrill. She has also started trying to figure out how to open a combination lock as well. The hunt for new keyed locks is approaching. She will have to keep her eyes open over the coming days.

• Like 1

Snuggles is one cranky Rakasta this morning. Last nights journey was anything but smooth. Having to repair other peoples mistakes and clean up after them made her miss her lunch. Grrr! Finally settling in for dinner and sleep and the local wildlife (aka the neighbors little yippy dog) wont give her a moments rest. Not one of her better mornings. 

After a trying week, Snuggles got some nice down time with a fun evening of stories (and snuggles, lol) and has hit the ground running this week. Atlas has come up lame (bus card is low on funds) so she will be doing a lot of walking. The negative though is she isn’t doing her physical therapy. :( This week has gone so fast, she didn’t even realize it was more than half done without doing a lick of physical therapy. She must knuckle down and focus.

Food has been pretty good for her though. She has been switching out many meats for healthy vegetarian options. They are tastier than she would have though. They are also easier to eat on her journey. She has also tried hummus for the first time and now mourns the lost years she has spent without it! The biggest challenge for her will be remembering to log her food intake. She was doing so well, then poofed for several days. She also plans to start logging her meditation as well.

Now that things have smoothed out a bit, Snuggles needs to focus on her lockpicking again. Although she practiced last week, it’s been 5 days without any practice and she doesn’t want to fall to the wayside. The nearby village has a handyman who may also be willing to trade some old locks and she can practice on those. She will be speaking with him later today.

Snuggles is struggling to find time to fit all of her activities in so maybe she could look into setting a schedule? It doesn’t have to be something that is set in stone, but more of a guide for her to use. The other idea is to set up a daily checklist. This way she can see everything she needs to do each day, but isn’t trapped in a specific time to do them.

• Like 1

It was a rough day and sleep didn’t come easily. The labors in the meadow (the handiman downstairs) spent several hours drilling and hammering making sleep a challenge. Logging food and activities is going well and eating good foods is also going well.

She will be settling in a secluded cove today (house sitting for a friend) and will have both quiet and a private place to practice her lockpicking. Dinner may not be healthy (either veggie dogs or Mac & Cheese) but she has been eating a great deal of veggies of late so she isn’t concerned. Fruit will have to be her focus moving forward. She is good about getting her V8 at breakfast, but needs to remember to add more throughout the day.

• Like 1

Feb. 25

Today was a very sucessful day for Snuggles. She did a little food shopping so she did ride Atlas home today. A very peaceful days rest and a super healthy breakfast has her ready to take on the world. The enchanted message service (email) also delivered her some wonderful news; she has been accepted into Grad School! This has been a dream but also requires extreme dedication and focus.

This also means there will be a shift in her life goal this challenge. Her objective this week has to be the completion of all necessary paperwork and contacting everyone necessary to make sure everything is set for school.

*With acceptance into Grad School, I need to focus on making sure all of my paperwork is in order. I have already fallen behind so I will need to work twice as hard to get caught up. I have the whole weekend to get everything in order or determine what I’m missing and make arraignments to get everything done.

1. I need to submit my taxes

2. I need to complete my FASFA paperwork

3. I need to contact the Financial Aid Office Monday morning and determine what steps need to be taken on my end

4. I need to set up a Grad School Budget
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2017 at 5:28 AM, Love_Of_Snuggles said:

The enchanted message service (email) also delivered her some wonderful news; she has been accepted into Grad School! This has been a dream but also requires extreme dedication and focus.

This also means there will be a shift in her life goal this challenge. Her objective this week has to be the completion of all necessary paperwork and contacting everyone necessary to make sure everything is set for school.

22d843dbfefcf80e44b6700c522ab11c.gif

Congratulations to you, that's awesome! Good call on shifting focus for your challenge, it is a lot of work, but you're going to be great. You got this!

• Like 1

It's been a busy couple of days for this Rakasta. Between getting mountains of paperwork done and taking steps to prepare for Grad School. This week will be a struggle as she is taking on the challenges of the "Caverns of Turmoil" (my home under construction) on Thursday and Friday. Sleep will be limited and she must be very careful to make sure she doesn't slip with her eating or physical therapy during this time. Atlas will also be utilized during this time to aid her on her travels. (taking the bus to get to work more quickly and be able to sleep longer) 

• Like 1

Week three is drawing to a close. Physical therapy is getting easier to do daily, but still needs attention. Snuggles diet is improving, she hasn't even had a serving of meat this week, though she did have some bacon bits on baked potatoes. Foraging for healthy food is less of a struggle, but it is something that she will need to continue to focus on. If she can make physical therapy and healthy eating habits before she begins her training this fall, she will be able to avoid gaining back the weight she has lost.

Lock picking is still a priority, but it needs to be something she schedules into her day. This weekend she will face a mini challenge of setting up a daily "to do" list that will incorporate all the things she needs to accomplish each day and every week. Today's goals are going to include getting and setting up an app and actively looking for some new locks for picking practice. Because today's journeys include time in the "Caverns of Turmoil" she will wait until Monday to contact the Ministers of Finance (Universities Financial Aid Office). She has completed all other paperwork so this is an acceptable delay for her.

• Like 1

Week 3 is going to have a rocky landing. With less than 3 hours of sleep and no breakfast, Snuggles began her trek to work. She had just about reached her destination when a reckless centaur (person driving a car), who wasn't watching where he was going, ran into her. She was only bruised, but as the night wore on, her body began to grow sorer. Walking and PT challenges will be scaled back to take care of this newest injury. She must also focus on resting this weekend so as not to impede her recovery!

She did get the Google Calendar App for her Kindle and will use this for now to keep track of the things she wants to accomplish each day. She has already input a pretty detailed schedule, but she is going to have to figure out a better system in the long run. She will need to reach out to others to see if they can help her locate an app that does what she wants on her kindle. The best part of this challenge is, she can do it from the comfort of her bed while she is recovering.

A quick wrap up to date:

Week 1 = A for PT, A for walking, B for diet, and A for lock picking

Week 2 = Fail for Pt (did some everyday, but only 1 full set) A for walking, A for diet, and A for lock picking

Week 3 = Fail for Pt (didn't some everyday and only 2 full sets) A for walking, A for diet, and A for lock picking, (changed) getting paperwork in order for Grad School! 

As Snuggles wraps up this challenge, she returns to the Meadows of Meditation to reflect on her journey so far. 3 our of 4 weeks she completed 3 fulls sets of her physical therapy and she did manage some every single day so she is going to mark that successful. For her next challenge, she is going to upgrade this and improve her physical therapy. 

She was completely successful with her walking goal and will be shifting this to a builder goal. 

For her food goal she was successful with everything except eating fruit. She will be bringing this one back for the next challenge to help make it a habit. The remaining parts are being upgraded to builder goals. 

The Lock Picking challenge was a mixed bag. She did good with practicing and did buy several new locks, but due to late meetings about grad school she missed her training. However, she did make an update to her goal so this is an acceptable outcome. 

• Like 1

Glad to hear there wasn't any lasting damage from the accident last week. Grats on finishing the challenge (like a boss!), sounds like you made significant progress in all your goals! Looking forward to seeing where the journey takes you next. :)