Alexandrite Tackles the Motivation Level

Alexandrite

RrRA29n.gif

Don't know how many of you grew up playing Yoshi's Island, but this level called "Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy" about sums up how I feel when motivation starts to wane/gets distracted, when I start to feel my goals/to-do's getting slippery in my mind, or when things unexpected happen and I reel from the shift. This is what I am battling right now. How to keep going, how to stay on track, and how to make progress when the world feels like that^ more times than I care to admit.

I'm a mother of 3 little ones, with big goals of physical fitness, gardening, international exchange, crafting, and general nerdiness. Thanks for keeping tabs on me.

Goals coming soon!

• Like 2

Brain-Building Assassin, a.k.a Radical Domestic Jill-of-All-Trades

Battle Log | Challenges: Current |18 |17 |16 |15 |14 |13 |12 |11 |109 | 87 | 65432 | 1  

Isaiah 40:30-31

Thanks for the support! This week is flying by much faster than I expected. I'm just going to slap down my goals real quick:

Daily movement - yoga for 15, beginning bodyweight circuit, or intentional walking

Japanese daily study - Using WaniKani, Memrise, or Bukuu on my phone, or even my paper books.

Office daily check in - make it a point to sift, scan, and update myself on my to do lists and piles (I am a pile maker)

Make a self-care sheet sometime during challenge - a write up with pictures of the special exercises I need to do for my pelvic area, diastasis rectii, posture, wrists, and foot arches. Yoga helps with a lot of this, but I want to target too.

I think I am just going to keep it that simple. So far this week I have had two days good, one day missed the movement.

We are leaving town tomorrow to go on an epic first trip out of town in almost four months. Skiing, snow fun, and major shopping is going to happen!!

Sent by my Navi-powered device!

• Like 2

Battle Log | Challenges: Current |18 |17 |16 |15 |14 |13 |12 |11 |109 | 87 | 65432 | 1  

Going to have to chalk the week/end up to being away from home, not much I can do about it. Been keeping to most of my goals - the physical fitness one is my biggest adversary, as I feel exhausted after a day of caring for, lifting in and out of vehicles, and chasing three kids (my youngest started trying to walk). It has been all I could do to keep up with them, and I don't get naps every day any more (sad...).

Anyway, supposedly I am going skiing today... I am actually not that excited, to be honest, but Dr. Focker (the husband) feels I need to push myself and do it. I used to love skiing the few times I did it but now... well my mind is on kids and being a mom, and I just don't get all excited about leaving my youngest with anyone, even grandparents, haha. And they will be right there too, but he is so clingy and cries when I get out of sight... this will be a test on my nerves more than anything.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2017 at 7:55 AM, Alexandrite said:

I feel exhausted after a day of caring for, lifting in and out of vehicles, and chasing three kids (my youngest started trying to walk). It has been all I could do to keep up with them, and I don't get naps every day any more (sad...).

Ouch. Well, there's your cardio spoken for on a daily basis! In all seriousness, though, good luck. Hope you had at least some fun on the ski trip!

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

Oh, the skiing was awesome!! I am so glad Dr. Focker talked me into it. First time ever that someone watched all three kids and we were just adults out having fun. I wish I didn't have so much anxiety about the kids, but I still enjoyed myself immensely.

Sadly, I did have one side effect from the weekend - heavy, active baby combined with skiing soreness and driving stiffness to make my shoulders and neck an absolute mess. Day 3 and it hasn't changed no matter what I do! Hopefully it will get better soon. In the meantime, onward!

• Like 1

Glad you were able to have some fun adult time! Boo for the resulting pain, though. I realize it's not everyone's cup of tea, but have you considered getting a professional massage? They really do perform wonders. Hope you were able to loosen things up and are feeling better. That definitely counts as self-care! How's the weekend looking?

• Like 1

I ended up going out of town last weekend as a special trip with my exchange student and infant son, leaving the older two kids and Dr. Focker at home. Last week Little O got the heavy cough/cold thing, now this week Little E got it, and then Freibird the infant caught it the other night finally, and I have minor cold symptoms. It has been a very difficult week. Very little sleep, coughing and crying children, and little time for self care.

I honestly dream about prof massages. I bought myself one almost 10 years ago and it was the best ever. Since then I have dropped hints, mentioned, blatantly asked, and even suggested as any gift whatsoever a prof massage. I don't know what Dr. Focker has against it, but all these years and he still has yet to get one for me. Closest thing he ever did was about 4 years ago had one of his coworkers do a Reiki session for me, but that is NOT professional massage. I am tired of waiting and never getting it. I will just buy myself one next week, seriously.

Motivation... I have a few large projects staring at me. Every day. And it will almost be a year that I haven't completed some of them. Heck Christmas cards are still waiting to be finished. I don't know why I even bother, people tell me not to waste the money/stamps on them.

I have a sore spot when it comes to taking care of my kids/house and still being able to get other things done. I know it is because my day is on a 24/7 clock with breastfeeding still, and I don't get nearly enough sleep to function properly in order to be multi-tasked, but it kills me sometimes that my kids whine their heads off or cry nonstop because I am trying to get some work done on the computer or finish a project. Dr. Focker is so open minded about it - just take them outside and do the projects! Cant really watch three kids inside a shop full of tools while I grind glass bottles. Cant make phone calls about medical bill history and printouts while kids are yelling and fighting and playing in the background. Cant really leave them alone in another room on their own either, because they are too young and the oldest has a penchant for trouble. I try really hard not to use the TV as a babysitter. My kids watch maybe one movie a day usually and we don't have cable. If my first job and priority is my kids, why would I do a half-ass job with them? I refuse to let babies watch TV or screens before 1.5-2 years old. Who cares if our society is inundated with screens? It still isn't good for them. So then I have to come up with preschool type entertainment or activity. And there is still the baby Freibird....

And apparently we want more kids, if that is what works out. I am borderline insane.

And happy. I complain and whine, I lament and suffer. But I am still happy when I am needed by my children. And husband. Sigh.

Someday, none of these projects will matter. But my kids will always, and my marriage will always. I continue to poke at Japanese every few days, same with physical fitness stuff. As it is getting warmer I am thinking about walking more because I am a horrible walker. Averaging about 2k steps a day right now, very sedentary.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Alexandrite said:

I honestly dream about prof massages. I bought myself one almost 10 years ago and it was the best ever. Since then I have dropped hints, mentioned, blatantly asked, and even suggested as any gift whatsoever a prof massage. I don't know what Dr. Focker has against it, but all these years and he still has yet to get one for me. Closest thing he ever did was about 4 years ago had one of his coworkers do a Reiki session for me, but that is NOT professional massage. I am tired of waiting and never getting it. I will just buy myself one next week, seriously.

I support this fully. If you're not getting what you need, then just make it so. Sorry to hear the cold is going around your house, and that your fan club (little ones) aren't letting you get things done. It's perfectly ok to love the heck out of someone and still be annoyed at them. Wish I had deeper insight to offer there but... eh, I just don't. If you figure out how to resolve that, please let me know. :) 

Hope the upcoming weekend goes better for you guys, and that you get some quality you time in. 

• Like 2

Quick summary, but basically the cold/cough thing totally razed our household. Dr. Focker was the last to fall, and luckily I only got the mild sniffles. Little Eva though, poor girl, she got a perforated ear drum out of it all. Super expensive ear drops and some recovery time and we are all back to normal. Going to start up a new challenge now. This challenge was typical of what I would consider damage control - always reacting. I am hoping to get ahead of that. Better weather helps. Need to have a better plan for next winter!

• Like 1