Karma Krishok sows new seeds

I just had that moment where I realise I'm only getting more unhealthy everyday. And my sister's wedding is coming up in June. Maybe a good time to get back into a slightly more healthy lifestyle. I have always been terrible at planning my activity & food. What makes it even worse is that I'm now traveling a lot, and will be for the rest of the year. I desperately need to find some routine that stops me from gaining weight, and hopefully loosing some. The end goal would be to get back to 85 KG, with an active lifestyle, which is more or less traveling back in time 8 years.

My first goal would be to have a decent planning for the next four weeks and develop a weekly routine for planning the week.

• Develop a monthly calendar
  • Make weekly updates / adjustments

The second goal is to start eating a regular breakfast & snacks at the right moments.

• Eat breakfast every day
  • Eat some fruit at 11AM & 4PM

The third goal is to start moving again.

• 2 active moments every week: yoga, longer walks, running, work-outs - whatever fits the schedule

Not sure what the present is if I meet my goals, but I'm sure I'll think of something along the way.

• Like 1

Level 4 Adventurer
Challenges: 7654321

I'm just trying to get my plan ready for the next two weeks, still figuring out how this works :-). I'm going to make a difference between known and unknown territory.

• For food: I want to go shopping today for some fruit and breakfast. I have also been eating unhealthy during many lunches and dinners so would like to cook tomorrow. Staying with a friend during this trip so I'm lucky that should not be a big issue. The other days I can cook this week are Thursday & Friday. For tomorrow I'll plan pasta, Thursday might just be some grilled veg & chicken and Friday could be some fish & veg. I travel overnight (Thursday to Friday) so will need to do some shopping for dinner, breakfast and snacks on Friday & Saturday. I can also buy some snacks for the second week of the challenge when I'll be in unknown territory. Going for a week and I'm unsure what the food situation will be like. Since I'm sure I can get fruits, I will bring some energy bars, just in case. So for now this means: shopping today & Friday. Home-cooked meals on Monday, Thursday & Friday. The week afterwards, meals will be provided so less planning is required. Once I get back home, I will go shopping the same day (28 Feb) for breakfast and fruit or will ask my partner to make sure we have everything at home.
  • To exercise: It is hard for me to exercise outside this week so I can plan two yoga sessions (Monday & Wednesday). I have learned a basic Ashtanga yoga sequence a while ago which is around 45 minutes. That seems like a good place to start, also because I brought my yoga stuff. I will also go for a swim on Saturday before leaving on my next trip. For the week after activity is already scheduled and I expect to be doing some yoga, surfing and a lot of walking. The program for the week is still not entirely clear but will become so on Monday. If there is not enough activity to meet my target, I will plan 1 or 2 yoga sessions as well. I can also bring my running shoes for a run along the beach although I'm not a big fan of running in unknown places, it can't hurt to see if I feel like it. And there might be more people interested in doing so.

I think in the long run: it can't hurt to have breakfast options & snacks that I can take on travel. Or that will survive at home for the weeks when I'm gone. Coming back into a house without good food is always a risk. I never feel up to shopping when I return from trips so that automatically results in eating bad food.

Seems like a good way to start for now.

• Like 1

Level 4 Adventurer

Welcome!

I'm also a fellow regular traveler (mine is work related, so it's totally not fun), so I know how hard it can be to get into a pattern when you are away from home a lot.

Thinking it through the way you did is totally the way to go about it though! One other thing I will suggest is if you have a car while traveling, hit up local grocery stores for fresh produce and/or healthy meal options. 

Good luck this challenge!

Hi! And thanks for dropping by. Mine is work-related too, which I think actually makes it harder. It's difficult to say no to a meeting if you are only going to be in a country for a week or two and it might be two months before you get back. I feel the pressure to actually not care about how I feel mentally or physically and just 'not be a baby'. Slightly irrational but hard to stop! Don't have a car but I do have the option to shop at most places, I usually stay in the same place for a few days and access to a fridge / kitchen most of the time as well. Good to see there are actually a few things that should make this easy!

As for the challenge so far: I'm trying not to measure too exactly how well it is going. I tend to stop caring if I have failed too many times. But I did eat my breakfast, cook and have my snacks for during the day. I wasn't feeling great yesterday so the yoga didn't happen but I got up early today to get back into a routine. I'm pretty sure I will be happy to do it tomorrow. And with some swimming on Saturday, that will still get me moving twice this week. I'd say on track for now but still slightly worried about the travel this weekend.

• Like 1

Level 4 Adventurer

5 hours ago, Karma Krishok said:

I feel the pressure to actually not care about how I feel mentally or physically

You are not alone in this, brother. I fight this battle daily.

I know you travel a lot, but one suggestion I really like from Tim Ferriss is to make your bed every morning. According to Tim:

• it gives a sense of control – even if the whole day is chaotic, this one thing remains done and organized. You start the day with a little step you take and complete the task successfully;
  • it also gives you a boost to take another action right after that. After all, Newton’s first law states that “An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.”;
  • you feel proud after you do it and start the day with a little more confidence, which can be very helpful later on;
  • it shows you that little actions matter;
  • in the end of the day – no matter what has happened – you come back to something you’ve done right, to something that’s in order and just like it has to be. It hasn’t changed since you completed this task and this reminds you that you have some control over what happens in your life.

I wish you the best on your journey. You have the right attitude. Now it's time for action. You got this.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

I really struggle with 'obligation social eating'.  I think the key is to be strong and say "I'm just eating something different", or "I've already eaten (something healthy)" .  This is something I'd love to be able to do and I really admire and respect anyone who does.  Funny I can respect their decisions but not my own.

Planning is definitely the key, along with being mindful so I think you will have success with your plan.

Skywalker

Progress woot: Skywalker's success

Character Profile:  Skywalker

Blog:  Just Get Moving

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!

2 hours ago, Karma Krishok said:

A good morning routine does help quite a lot in setting the right mood.

A very wise insight. :-)

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

I feel like the past two weeks went relatively well, even though there was a lack of planning. I have been eating relatively healthy (& mostly vegetarian) without too much effort. There were no moments where I felt like binging on unhealthy stuff and there was a lot of activity planned in the schedule last week. The trick is now to stick to this for the next nine days until the end of the challenge. I think the key was to stay busy and engaged instead of spending too much time worrying about things that are outside my control anyway.

For food: I just got back home for a few days and have breakfast at home. No fruit yet for the mornings and the afternoons but I'm leaving again in two days and I'm not really interested in going shopping before than. I should have bought some when I was in the shop two days ago though. Forgot that! I will be cooking dinner tonight and will be going out for dinner tomorrow. I will be able to stick to vegetarian food. Hopefully the veggies will keep giving me energy to keep this up. For the travel on Saturday: I can eat decent food at the airport before getting on the plane. On Sunday morning I'm traveling again but will be in a workshop for the rest of the week, there is usually some fruit in the morning and afternoon so should be no problem at all.

To exercise: I have not settled back into a routine yet for my mornings. I still find it really difficult to get up and going. There will be no other option next week though since there will only be time in the mornings to actually move. The rest of the day we will be locked up inside and not be very active. I'm bringing my yoga stuff to make sure I have something to do. Since the workshop increases the pressure on my other work that will build up until the end of the week, it would be good for me to stay a bit more balanced. I might go for a swim later today to clear my head and will do a longer walk with our dog before I travel again for three weeks. That will at least make sure I had some exercise this week as well.

Nine more days to go!

• Like 2

Level 4 Adventurer

7 hours ago, Karma Krishok said:

I feel like the past two weeks went relatively well,

The past two weeks sound awesome! Well done!

7 hours ago, Karma Krishok said:

I think the key was to stay busy and engaged instead of spending too much time worrying about things that are outside my control anyway.

This is a solid mindset. Sometimes stress and worry can be the biggest pitfall on our health journey.

You got this. Good to hear from you.

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler