Fuji_fox goes Free

Fuji_fox

I'm brand new and this is my first 4 week challenge! As recommended, going to take it easy for the first one and see how it goes.

Goals:

Fitness: 1.swim a minimum of two times a week.  Try to practice a few flipturns each week. Practice alone on Saturday mornings when schedule allows.

2. stretch EVERY DAY! Particularly hamstrings.

Diet: prep lunch every day and eat as clean as possible on weekdays.  Cut myself some slack on weekends but still be mindful of how much I'm eating.

LUYL: get up the courage to talk to coach about taking private swim lessons during spring break.  This is the hardest one!  I'm super nervous about one on one lessons where I'm the student and not the teacher.  

11355949_1756828157870701_1967158842_n.jpg

• Like 2

Week one update:

Fitness: 1. Got in my two days of swimming, though I had a different schedule from a usual week.  I discovered that I have just enough time to fit in a 40 minute swim on Saturday mornings before work, so I'm going to try making that a regular thing.  Love swimming when the water is clean and it's not too crowded! This week's focus was on breathing; I'm working on not lifting/rotating my head too far (but also not inhaling water ^_^;)

2.  Stretched 6 days out of 7, so not bad.  I am noticing that I'm becoming more flexible, which is encouraging.  

Bonus: My school's vice principal asked me last minute if I'd like to participate in the student's yearly "marathon" (a 4.3km race around a big park in Tokyo) and I agreed even though I hadn't run in over a year.  Decided to push myself and actually hit a PR for my time and running pace! Forgot how running can make you feel like you're dying, though... 

Diet: Prepped lunch every day this week, and for the most part ate pretty well. Got a ton of vegetables in, but it was Valentine's week which meant a lot of chocolate...  Thankfully that's the last food related holiday for a while.

Haven't asked about taking private lessons yet, but the plan is to ask next Saturday.  Next week I hope to keep the momentum going! 

• Like 3
On 2/18/2017 at 6:50 PM, Fuji_fox said:

Bonus: My school's vice principal asked me last minute if I'd like to participate in the student's yearly "marathon" (a 4.3km race around a big park in Tokyo) and I agreed even though I hadn't run in over a year.  Decided to push myself and actually hit a PR for my time and running pace!

Are you racing children?  Seems unfair...

tPVREvzvQLGhmoJrob2N_Kid%20Basketball%20

• Like 2

My Battle Log 

I'm on Strava for my running now.

Check out Kick! too.  You unlock gear with your progress on Strava.

Week two update:

This week went by fast! Probably because I'm anxious to get to spring break next week ヽ(^o^)丿

Fitness 1: Took the advanced swimming class on Friday, and swam on my own Saturday morning.  Friday's class happened to be butterfly which was exactly what I'd wanted to practice.  I don't know about my form, but I don't seem to get tired swimming butterfly anymore, so I must be doing something right. 

2:  Stretched all 7 days! Even though one or two were just the minimum.  Definitely more flexible than I was at the beginning of the year.

Diet: This week was typical for me.  Ate plenty of fruits, veg, brown rice, oatmeal, quinoa, fish, and had some richer dishes like gnocchi and sweets at the weekend.  Right now I'm just trying be aware of what I'm eating, but honestly I have no clue how many calories I eat in a day, and the thought of tracking everything I eat sounds pretty daunting... but I might give it a go during spring break.

And finally, after some Kafkaesque antics with the gym staff, I was able to book a private swimming lesson next week (。^_^。)ノ゙✧*。Still nervous but really looking forward to it too.

That's all for now! 

tumblr_mqjgs1wDJb1ratkt0o1_500.gif

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Primeval said:

Looks like an excellent week 2. Please feel free to describe your "kafka-esque" antics in more detail, lol. 

Thanks!!

Yeah, it seems like my gym doesn't book many (or any) private swimming lessons, so when I tried to reserve a lesson at the front desk, the receptionist told me I had to work it out with the swim coach first.  Then when I talked to the coach, he said to make the reservation at the front desk... But when I went to the front desk again, they said I had to make the reservation with the coach himself.  I finally made the receptionist call the coach to work it out themselves.  Plus, this was all done in Japanese (-_-;) And in the end, no one told me how much a lesson even costs (I know, I know, my fault for not asking).  So I guess I'll ask at the first lesson, and if it's not prohibitively expensive I'll continue though March.  But I'm excited for the lesson nonetheless! 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Fuji_fox said:

Thanks!!

Yeah, it seems like my gym doesn't book many (or any) private swimming lessons, so when I tried to reserve a lesson at the front desk, the receptionist told me I had to work it out with the swim coach first.  Then when I talked to the coach, he said to make the reservation at the front desk... But when I went to the front desk again, they said I had to make the reservation with the coach himself.  I finally made the receptionist call the coach to work it out themselves.  Plus, this was all done in Japanese (-_-;) And in the end, no one told me how much a lesson even costs (I know, I know, my fault for not asking).  So I guess I'll ask at the first lesson, and if it's not prohibitively expensive I'll continue though March.  But I'm excited for the lesson nonetheless! 

Given their policy of deflecting responsibility, I'd be surprised if anyone ever asked you pay... :)

• Like 2

Class and Profession: Level 23 Borg Queen 

Midweek update:

Today, after hours in the tax office filing my tax return (and feeling like I lost a year of my life),  had my first private swimming lesson! Gonna make a note of what the coach said here so I can remember as much as possible.

Butterfly: My timing (which I thought was off) is OK. Things to keep in mind are not kicking too forcefully, especially the second kick, staying close to the surface of the water, stretching the arms forward as they enter the water, not twisting the shoulders during the recovery, and something about it being OK to keep my arms back behind the ears before the pull (my Japanese kind of failed me there and I couldn't quite work out what he meant, other than it's the opposite of what you'd do swimming crawl). 

Drill to practice: three kick, one stroke. The first kick is the same as usual, second kick streamlines the body, third kick propels the body up.  This was really helpful and something I hadn't tried before. 

Crawl: most important thing I learned here is visualizing putting more weight on the arm in the water (before the pull).  Also, the wrist should naturally bend during the catch to maximize efficiency.  This difficult because it's supposed to be an unconscious movement (he compared it to dribbling a basketball; the wrist moves naturally, but it's actually the forearm doing the work, too bad basketball is literally my worst sport ever, lol). 

Other notes: Since I only learned to swim a few years ago (and learned the mostly in group lessons with this coach), apparently I don't have any bad habits that need to be relearned.  On the other hand, he said because of my "serious personality" I tend to over think and overdo my movements.  Yes, coach, I know I have no chill whatsoever... 

Overall it was a really good experience and definitely want to ask for at least one or two more lessons while on break.  Going to go over the points he mentioned for the next three days and then decide if I should practice more before booking the next one.  

weg-k4C-nidOb7sallj8pamE3YvUPIdb8AcXMGHM

• Like 3

Week three: 

Spring break!!!! Free from (some) responsibility for the next month (≧▽≦)

Fitness 1: Thanks to the private lesson and my new habit of going to the pool on Saturday mornings, plus the regular Master's classes, swam FIVE days this week! Definite first for me. I know I won't be able to get in that amount of time for week four, but hopefully I can swim 3-4 days.

2: Stretching has finally become a nighttime ritual.  Still don't love it, but I do feel better ^^ 

Diet: Again, pretty normal for me this week. Packed my lunch almost every day, ate out 3 times.  For week four I want to cut back a little, because I'm going to Taiwan next Sun-Tues and I know I'll want to eat EVERYTHING.  

Life goal: Went ahead and booked another lesson.  This time I'll be concentrating on my least favorites, breaststroke and backstroke. 

Really to finish the challenge strong! 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTgw4e4xZW-5QSWQ2kIuO

Midweek update:

Had my second swimming lesson yesterday, so I want to jot down everything while I still remember.  

This lesson focused on breaststroke, and it actually was even more useful than last week's.  Mostly because when I swim breaststroke, I always feel like my mind and body aren't synching.  But I felt better when I followed the coach's pointers, which were:

* Keep knees in line with hips when starting the kick (I've been swinging them out too far). 

* Think of jumping straight up in the air.  That's the form the legs should have when kicking.

* Arms are moving too fast, so slow down on the catch. Remember to spread  arms to around shoulder width to maximize catch.

*Start the kick just after sinking into water after breathing.

Tried to keep these things in mind when swimming in Masters tonight, and I do think there was a definite improvement.  Also did a little practice on my touch turns and the two main points were: keep your body sideways when kicking off the wall, and keep your left arm behind you when touching the wall.  Both seem so obvious now (/_;) 

Anyway, maybe because I was less nervous this time, this lesson was way more fun.  I was feeling a little burnt out at the beginning of this year, but I feel like I've regained my passion for swimming! Looking forward to practicing everything I've learned so far.