Discworld Reading Club - Mort (Challenge #57)

What's this reading club all about, then?

great-autuin-1-1400x890_c.jpg

Lately we've had a lot of Discworld re-readers and new readers who weren't sure where to start, so we thought we'd start a book club.

People struggle with where to start reading, because there are so many places you could start, and it's a fairly common opinion that the worst place to start is the actual first book.  The books are all pretty self-contained, with a few exceptions that just work better if you know the characters, and there are so damned many, and everyone has a favorite and a totally different recommendation on where to start.  So we thought we'd start the first three challenges with good starter books, introducing the major sub-series of the Discworld books:

• Challenge #55 (December) - Guards! Guards!, the most commonly recommended starting book, which introduces the hapless police force of Ankh-Morpork, Discworld's biggest city, one of the major sets of characters followed through the series.  This is the book where people often feel the writing matured into something fully representative of the series that followed, and it introduces Sam Vimes, one of the major characters we follow through the books.
  • Challenge #56 (January) - Wyrd Sisters, which introduces Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, and Magrat; a trio of witches in the rural Ramptops mountains, who carry another major subseries of the books.  Granny Weatherwax lives in a town called Bad Ass, and it might as well be named for her.
  • Challenge #57 (February) - Mort, which is the first major book in a series focusing on the Grim Reaper and the consequences of his questionable parenting decisions.  Death is the third major character in the series.
  • Challenge #58+: We'll take a vote to we see who's here and what they'd like to read next.

So if you're curious about Discworld and couldn't figure out where to start, this is (still) for you.  Any of these challenges will be a great place to start.  All three would be a great intro to the major characters and themes of the series.  If you find the holidays rough or winter depressing, these are fairly light, humorous action books with a solid core of human decency.  They're good winter reading.  If you've been away from Pratchett books too long and are looking for a re-read, this is your chance.  (And we'd welcome a couple of old hands pitching in to keep discussion rolling.)

(Future people reading the book two years from now, please feel free to use this thread for discussion.  Just beware of possible spoilers as the thread goes on.)

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

e0a126187452028df1ed09a3ad6f6668.jpg

Death takes on an apprentice.  It... does not go well.  Also, Death is a precious cinnamon roll, too good and too pure for this world.

This is actually the book Terry Pratchett apparently recommends as a starting point to the series, so this is a good place to come in.  The book should be in most libraries in book and quite possibly audiobook and ebook form.  The Discworld audiobooks are really good, especially the later ones, so you can't go wrong if you prefer to listen rather than read.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

will be downloading it onto my kindle tonight!

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

On 2/12/2017 at 9:24 PM, sarakingdom said:

Death takes on an apprentice.  It... does not go well.  Also, Death is a precious cinnamon roll, too good and too pure for this world.

This is actually the book Terry Pratchett apparently recommends as a starting point to the series, so this is a good place to come in.  The book should be in most libraries in book and quite possibly audiobook and ebook form.  The Discworld audiobooks are really good, especially the later ones, so you can't go wrong if you prefer to listen rather than read.

So excited I found this thread. Perfect timing for me to get started on this series. Thank you for this!

• Like 1

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

My NF Character | Goodreads | Twitter | My Author Site

HUMAN DRUID

Level: 1 | STR 6 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 5 | WIS 13 | CHA 5

eep, haven't started it yet! it's up next after i finish the book i'm currently reading.

• Like 2

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

On 2/18/2017 at 10:22 PM, ChirpyBird said:

So excited I found this thread. Perfect timing for me to get started on this series. Thank you for this!

Excellent, welcome!  First time through, or second time?

8 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

eep, haven't started it yet! it's up next after i finish the book i'm currently reading.

I'm getting a late start, too.  (I've read this one recently, so I'm less quick off the mark on this one.  It's a lovely book, though.)  I'm going to be listening to it this time around.

• Like 1

One of my favorite things about Death, by the way?  Binky.  Everything about Binky is perfection.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Excellent, welcome!  First time through, or second time?

I'm getting a late start, too.  (I've read this one recently, so I'm less quick off the mark on this one.  It's a lovely book, though.)  I'm going to be listening to it this time around.

Haven't read any Pratchett other than The Color of Magic, which I remember loving, but then I think I picked up the next book and didn't finish it. Can't remember why, though.

I was up late last night because I couldn't stop reading!

• Like 1

HUMAN DRUID

5 minutes ago, ChirpyBird said:

I was up late last night because I couldn't stop reading!

This is a common Pratchett problem.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

One of my favorite things about Death, by the way?  Binky.  Everything about Binky is perfection.

Binky! I laughed so hard at that, when we learn the name of the horse. 

• Like 1

HUMAN DRUID

37 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

This is a common Pratchett problem.

Yeah, and right now I'm at work but all I want to do is read. I can see a Pratchett addiction starting...:P 

• Like 1

HUMAN DRUID

This reminds me, I need to find my book! (It's in a pile of Pratchett Books that I haven't bothered to organise yet. Along with another two shelves of books that are on my 'to-be read' list :P)

• Like 2

they / them  |  half-orc paladin ( oath of the watcher )   --   lv 0

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

On 2/12/2017 at 9:24 PM, sarakingdom said:

Just finished it! Absolutely loved this book! So excited for the next one.

Quick question: when you say this is a challenge, do we get any points for completion? 

HUMAN DRUID

On 2/22/2017 at 9:18 AM, ChirpyBird said:

Yeah, and right now I'm at work but all I want to do is read. I can see a Pratchett addiction starting...:P 

That's generally how it starts, yes. :)

If you want to hit another this challenge, we've just done Guards Guards and Wyrd Sisters, and those threads are open for discussion.  They're also good starter books for Discworld.

On 2/23/2017 at 2:20 PM, IAmInfinite said:

This reminds me, I need to find my book! (It's in a pile of Pratchett Books that I haven't bothered to organise yet. Along with another two shelves of books that are on my 'to-be read' list :P)

You do need to find it.  It's an excellent book.  I'm still at him taking Mort out for curry, but that is the best scene.

4 minutes ago, ChirpyBird said:

Quick question: when you say this is a challenge, do we get any points for completion? 

The timeframe is the challenge schedule.  But if you make one of your challenge goals "read Pratchett books", no one's going to judge. Your points are entirely up to you, no one assigns them. :)

• Like 1

"Mort" is one of my favorites.  For those who snoozed past Charles Dickens in English class, Ysabelle is partly a riff on Estella of "Great Expectations" (the 'I shall call you Boy' sequence).  Interestingly in one of the early Disc books featuring Rincewind (Light Fantastic, mybe?) she was slender, gorgeous and creepy.  That was back when Death hadn't been properly characterized, either.  In Mort she's evolved to curvy and practical with a fiercely hidden romantic streak.

I liked her and wish she appeared in a few other books, but she's already got a lot in common with Lady Ramkin, Agnes, and Glenda.  And with her daughter, who appears in several later books....

• Like 2

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

On 2/26/2017 at 11:00 AM, sarakingdom said:

That's generally how it starts, yes. :)

If you want to hit another this challenge, we've just done Guards Guards and Wyrd Sisters, and those threads are open for discussion.  They're also good starter books for Discworld.

With only a day left in February, I won't have time to complete it, plus I have another book to read for a different book club, and one on meditation and one on yoga. Whew! So I think I'll wait to see what the next Pratchett challenge is for March and grab that one instead! :D 

HUMAN DRUID

On 2/27/2017 at 5:01 PM, ChirpyBird said:

With only a day left in February, I won't have time to complete it

Two more weeks to the challenge, though. :)

• Like 1

Just now, sarakingdom said:

Two more weeks to the challenge, though. :)

Oh! Good point haha! Well, which is better in your opinion, Guards! Guards! or The Wyrd Sisters?

And do you know what the next one will be in March?

HUMAN DRUID

Glad I found this post as I am currently rereading the entire series... putting off reading his last one, after which I may burst into tears because there won't be any more. I've just finished The Wee Free Men, one of my all time favourites, which follows Night Watch which was another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• spezzy unpinned this topic