Mindful Meditation [2/13 - Unlimited]- Always Open

I feel that this message from my congregation teaches a great lesson that is commonly used during meditation. It does not matter what your spiritual or non-spiritual identity is, I would like to share this will all of those who are seeking mindfulness.

"...[Meditation/Prayer is] about how we connect our body and our mind and our spirit. How we show up in the world. Singing, dancing, drawing, building, creating art feels so embodied and so deeply spiritual to me. Engaging in local, national, and global justice issues by marching, making phone calls, sending postcards, attending organizing meetings is living into our values. Reading articles and books that challenge our perspectives and open us up to a deeper understanding of the world. Offering our love and care to plants, animals, and other humans is decidedly embodied and, for me, a deep manifestation of my [faith].

Consider this an invitation. This week, every day, take a moment in your life to be aware of something you're doing that's sacred with your body. Take a moment as you're looking out at your yard or feeling the wind on your face or tasting some delicious food or listening to a baby's laughter to be reminded what a miracle our senses are. While you're preparing a meal or writing a letter or assembling furniture or taking deep breaths reflect on the wonderful ability of your body to create. All of our bodies are capable of wonder - notice what it is yours can do.

So often we notice what hurts or isn't doing what we want it to or looks different than we want, and are tuned out from the positives. This week, spend time being in awe of what you CAN do. What feels good. How can you be fully engaged in the world? What can your body do?..."

I hope some of you find this helpful.

I have not been able to find extra time for meditation lately. My grandpa is still under the weather in the hospital and I am also working on my thesis proposal on top of it. I hope I can find time soon or maybe today to reflect and focus on my current self, so that I can handle this stress a little better.

• Like 1

Adventurous Druid Ranger

Pain is inevitable, suffering is a choice.

Current Challenge: Sober September, and probably longer.

I tried @ChirpyBird's technique and it was nice. My "happy place" is in the ocean. I just pictured the way that the sun shines through the water.

10 minutes in Shavasana after a yoga session. 

My grandpa had a procedure done this morning and it went very well and quicker than expected. He is getting it done again tomorrow but now I am not as nervous about it this time. :) 

• Like 2

Adventurous Druid Ranger

5 hours ago, NucleotidalWave said:

I feel that this message from my congregation teaches a great lesson that is commonly used during meditation. It does not matter what your spiritual or non-spiritual identity is, I would like to share this will all of those who are seeking mindfulness.

"...[Meditation/Prayer is] about how we connect our body and our mind and our spirit. How we show up in the world. Singing, dancing, drawing, building, creating art feels so embodied and so deeply spiritual to me. Engaging in local, national, and global justice issues by marching, making phone calls, sending postcards, attending organizing meetings is living into our values. Reading articles and books that challenge our perspectives and open us up to a deeper understanding of the world. Offering our love and care to plants, animals, and other humans is decidedly embodied and, for me, a deep manifestation of my [faith].

Consider this an invitation. This week, every day, take a moment in your life to be aware of something you're doing that's sacred with your body. Take a moment as you're looking out at your yard or feeling the wind on your face or tasting some delicious food or listening to a baby's laughter to be reminded what a miracle our senses are. While you're preparing a meal or writing a letter or assembling furniture or taking deep breaths reflect on the wonderful ability of your body to create. All of our bodies are capable of wonder - notice what it is yours can do.

So often we notice what hurts or isn't doing what we want it to or looks different than we want, and are tuned out from the positives. This week, spend time being in awe of what you CAN do. What feels good. How can you be fully engaged in the world? What can your body do?..."

I hope some of you find this helpful.

I have not been able to find extra time for meditation lately. My grandpa is still under the weather in the hospital and I am also working on my thesis proposal on top of it. I hope I can find time soon or maybe today to reflect and focus on my current self, so that I can handle this stress a little better.

I think this is a wonderful thing to do. I have some anxiety issues, and get angry at small things quite a bit, and frustrated often, so I think trying this out every day this week might help me relax my mind and emotions and turn to something more positive. It's so easy to focus on the negative, on the wrong, on what could and might go wrong, that we overlook the truly good nature of the world around us. I'm so guilty of this. And I want to stop, even if it is a little bit at a time! Thank you for sharing this.

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

My NF Character | Goodreads | Twitter | My Author Site

HUMAN DRUID

Level: 1 | STR 6 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 5 | WIS 13 | CHA 5

1 hour ago, NucleotidalWave said:

I tried @ChirpyBird's technique and it was nice. My "happy place" is in the ocean. I just pictured the way that the sun shines through the water.

10 minutes in Shavasana after a yoga session. 

My grandpa had a procedure done this morning and it went very well and quicker than expected. He is getting it done again tomorrow but now I am not as nervous about it this time. :) 

So glad to hear! I find that it really clears your mind of everything so you can focus on breathing while creating a relaxing surrounding in your mind. I try to use sounds and images of actual places that relax me when I'm in them, and expand my imagery from there.

Very happy to hear about your grandpa, that his procedure went very well! I will keep him in my thoughts tomorrow for sure. :) 

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

My NF Character | Goodreads | Twitter | My Author Site

HUMAN DRUID

Level: 1 | STR 6 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 5 | WIS 13 | CHA 5

I haven't posted since Thursday, but i haven't missed a day. At least 10 min. If i don't do it in the morning, i usually do 15 min when i get home. Saturday i did it in my car on the drive. Sunday i did 30, and then 20 on both Monday and Tuesday. (I'm off sun-tues).

Today i got ten in this morning.

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

14 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

I haven't posted since Thursday, but i haven't missed a day. At least 10 min. If i don't do it in the morning, i usually do 15 min when i get home. Saturday i did it in my car on the drive. Sunday i did 30, and then 20 on both Monday and Tuesday. (I'm off sun-tues).

Today i got ten in this morning.

I haven't even been able to do this everyday even. So you have this down pat x100!

I lost count. How many is this since you started?

Adventurous Druid Ranger

Also, I i would also share something that might be helpful. I've been reading Thich Nhat Hanh's  You Are Here. Not a quote but I'll summarize the discussion.

He talks about mental formations. In buddhist psychology a mental formation is a thing in the mind that arises... It could be a simple thought or feeling, or something more complex like an entire story or chain reaction of thoughts and feelings. He said that mental formations are like plants in a garden that is our mind, and our mind contains the seeds of mental formations. Just like seeds need water and sunlight, each formation needs certain factors for it to grow. Some of these seed are positive and some negative. Being mindful is about paying attention to which factors nurture the positive vs. negative seeds and learning to encourage the positive creating factors and weeding out the factors that yield negative formations.

I thought this was a nice analogy that sums up the heart of my own practice. But there is one thing I'd add...you have to let the 'weeds' grow a little, do you can better understand them and be a better 'gardener'.

• Like 1

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

7 minutes ago, NucleotidalWave said:

I haven't even been able to do this everyday even. So you have this down pat x100!

I lost count. How many is this since you started?

Should be 14. 

I posted my intent to start on the fifteenth, then i had my first for the pvp on the sixteenth and haven't missed a day... That i remember at least.

• Like 1

--Stronkey Kong--

4 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

Also, I i would also share something that might be helpful. I've been reading Thich Nhat Hanh's  You Are Here. Not a quote but I'll summarize the discussion.

He talks about mental formations. In buddhist psychology a mental formation is a thing in the mind that arises... It could be a simple thought or feeling, or something more complex like an entire story or chain reaction of thoughts and feelings. He said that mental formations are like plants in a garden that is our mind, and our mind contains the seeds of mental formations. Just like seeds need water and sunlight, each formation needs certain factors for it to grow. Some of these seed are positive and some negative. Being mindful is about paying attention to which factors nurture the positive vs. negative seeds and learning to encourage the positive creating factors and weeding out the factors that yield negative formations.

I thought this was a nice analogy that sums up the heart of my own practice. But there is one thing I'd add...you have to let the 'weeds' grow a little, do you can better understand them and be a better 'gardener'.

I really like this!

But what is represented by the water and sunlight exactly? Or am I overthinking it?

Adventurous Druid Ranger

Just now, NucleotidalWave said:

I really like this!

But what is represented by the water and sunlight exactly? Or am I overthinking it?

Maybe. But i meant to touch on that. A factor that causes a mental formation to emerge and grow (sunlight and water) might be...

Your boss criticizes your work one day.

The seed might be your tendency toward low self esteem.

The plant/mental formation might be self doubt, anxiety, depression, worrying about other relationships, your job and financial future, or all of the above.

So you'd want to learn to watch what weeds grow whenever you received these or other criticisms and get better at depriving then of the factors they need to grow.

• Like 1

--Stronkey Kong--

I still haven't missed a day. That should put me at 19, and I'll be doing my 20th in a few minutes.

In TNH's book he says of you can do 10 min a say for 20 days you'll see the changes start that mindfulness brings. I'll back that up.

I'm generally friendlier, calmer, focused, and more appreciative of my time and every moment. I'm even starting to see difficult moments as opportunities for practice. Time passes more slowly because each moment is a little richer.

--Stronkey Kong--

Hi! I've been working with a meditation goal for 4 months. Would like to restart this thread, if anyone else is interested.

I have sincerely enjoyed reading what you all have written before, and thank you very much for sharing so many great resources.

I use Headspace, has anyone else tried it?

Class and Profession: Level 23 Borg Queen