Hiroro

Last challenge went pretty great for me, but after finishing the Whole30 I made a series of poor eating choices. I certainly don't feel like the Whole 30 was negated, but I'm feeling a bit bloated and my skin and digestion are making their displeasure known. Fiance is on board with continuing to eat mostly Whole 30 (WHAT YAY), and I'm thrilled that we're on the same page.

Image result for running puppies gif

Me and fiance. Eating semi-W30 together :D

Overarching Goal: GET LEAN (<25% body fat)

GOAL #1: Wake up at 5am every weekday, 7am on weekends.

I've been inspired by a blogger to start waking up earlier. I recently had the epiphany that when I don't take melatonin or Benadryl before bed, I feel alert after 7-8 hours of sleep. Last week I found myself naturally waking up earlier and feeling energized (!!!), so want to try out making it a habit. I've called exercise my keystone habit, but the trouble with that is I tend to work out in the afternoon -- at that point work has worn me out mentally, the SADs may have kicked in, and the couch is calling my name.

GOAL #2: Gym/Run/Walk daily

I'm floundering a bit post-Spartan because I don't have another race until May (and that's just a marathon relay, so ~6mi). The yoga studio I love is running a promotion (3-month membership for 2-month price), and I'm tempted to sign up. For now I'm going to pay attention to what my body is craving, and get my daily dose of endorphins.

GOAL #3: Fine tune eating

The first two weeks of the challenge I'm going to try allowing non-W30 food every day -- that's allowing a bit of rice, legumes, even gluten, dairy, alcohol. Can I do daily moderation without just going nuts? Not sure. The second two weeks I'm going to try a mostly stricter system...maybe 5 days on, 2 days off. Focus on having a vegetable and protein at every meal.

• Like 1

#1 #2 #3 #3.1 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #13.5 #14 #15 #16 # 17 #18 #19 #20 #21

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Week 1 Day 1

Image result for puppy wake up gif

I started this morning, at 5am. I'm not sure if it's a side effect of the W30, but getting up early suddenly got easier last week (even though I was definitely not eating paleo). Even after sleeping terribly last night, I got up without hitting snooze. I went through my "new" morning routine: 

1. Brush teeth, etc
  2. Meditation/prayer with tea
  3. Gym

Workout

Did the Spartan WOD, modified for level and time:

150 75 jumping jacks
15 burpees
5-15 pull-ups I just hung from the bar and engaged my shoulder/back muscles
15 box jumps
1 minute plank
50 bodyweight squats
50 walking lunges
5 - 15 broad jumps
Run 1.5 miles  I walked about 5.5 miles yesterday, so my legs/knees were twinging a bit...plus I wanted to shower and get to work. So I just jogged/walked for a few minutes.

Food

Pre-WO: handful of pita chips

Post-WO: Jicama (was ravenous. nomnomcrunchcrunch.)

Breakfast: balsamic beef, hummus, garlic sauce, rice, more jicama

Lunch: eggplant, chicken, mozzarella

Snack: handful of pita chips. One square of chocolate.

Dinner: hummus, rice, one falafel, salata, beef skewer, chicken, garlic sauce, pita

Will have to update later. I assigned fiance to cook this week because I was feeling burnt out post W30. Last night he made steak with steamed veggies *drool*. And then he washed the dishes! It's possible I'm easily pleased.

• Like 3

#1 #2 #3 #3.1 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #13.5 #14 #15 #16 # 17 #18 #19 #20 #21

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

I had tons of leftover pita from last Thursday's work lunch, and made them into pita chips. Ate the last of them (also brought a lot to work to get rid of them) yesterday.

When I got home after work, I nommed the remaining pita chips, and resisted the urge to have a glass of wine. Walked to the library (distancing myself from said wine) and returned books and read for a while. Walked home, whined to fiance about wanting popcorn and/or potato chips, went to dinner with my small group. Definitely not W30, but not terribly unhealthy either. Felt sort of bloaty later though (hummus and pita probably did that).

After dinner fiance opened a bottle of wine, but I really just felt like tea anyways at that point since I was on the way to bed (5AM wakeup means past 9PM is bedtime).

Random aside, I'm reading The Circle by Dave Eggers, and finding it really interesting. I'm impressed by his portrayal of the female main character (since a lot of the time dudes get the girl's POV wrong for obvious reasons). Has got me thinking about the future of technology, the effects of online anonymity, and the effects of social media. So thankful I have a job that doesn't require me to use social media at all, since it doesn't interest me much.

Fiance's eating mentality is entirely out of sight, out of mind. He literally forgets food is in the cupboard unless he gets hungry enough to dig around. I, on the other hand, am completely aware of everything in the fridge/pantry (particularly CARBS) all the time. I have pretty major crunchy carb hankerings, and haven't really found a good way to deal with it besides just toughing it out - going to the store to get said carbs is a pretty minor barrier. Sometimes it's a mood thing (upset/tired/depressed), but often it really is just what I want to eat. So it isn't about getting to the bottom of the cravings - just finding a way to manage them on a day to day basis. It helps to distract myself (reading) or completely occupy myself (working out).

Yesterday I had my usual morning coffee, and I actually felt like it made my energy level WORSE. Kind of weird that I'm basically experiencing Tiger Blood a few weeks after coming off W30 but...I'll take it.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Week 1 Day 2

Image result for wake up kitten gif

#1: WAKE UP 

Slept poorly again last night, grrr. But still felt super alert when my alarm went off at 5am. CHECK.

#2: WORK OUT

Went to the gym and did strength and conditioning class. Felt sore from yesterdays squats/lunges. Felt even more sore over the course of the day. Yesss getting stronger CHECK.

#3: EAT MODERATELY

Post WO - half a Larabar

Breakfast: balsamic beef, hummus, garlic sauce, rice, jicama

Lunch: eggplant, mozzarella, chicken

Snack: 1 chocolate truffle, bite of Larabar

Dinner: lettuce wrapped burger with guac with slice of mozzarella

Post-dinner: 1 glass of wine, to celebrate Valentine's Day :) <--actually ~1.5 glasses

CHECK

I had my coffee midmorning instead of first thing, and felt better than yesterday. Still thinking I may actually not NEED coffee for energy anymore, which seems crazy. Though I've also been very unfocused and unproductive at work lately, sigh.

Am predicting dinner so may have to update later.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

@Fonzico yeah I can't quite mentally deal with breaking the habit. I had ~1/2 a cup this morning. All fine.

Also I weighed in at 142lb this morning, so looks like I lost my post-W30 indulgence bloat. 33% fat though :(

I just calculated that reaching my theoretical goal of 125lb would probably put me under my stated goal of <25% body fat though, so I guess it all makes sense.

Oh AND it's uh, hormonal times, so if I behave myself over the next week it may turn out I could drop another pound or so of bloat. I think I'm back at my 2016 low....so close to making real progress! 

I have been super productive at work today (and am now rewarding myself with a little internet time, ha).

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Week 1 Day 3

Got up at 5am yesterday. Slept well but not enough, and the bad sleep is starting to catch up to me.

Did the shortest yoga session ever, since I was feeling super sore. But I'm counting it. CHECK.

Breakfast: balsamic beef, hummus, garlic sauce, rice

Snack: dried mango slices

'Snack': 1 glass of wine

Dinner: beef, chicken, rice, hummus

CHECK

Was rather lacking in the vegetable consumption department, oops. I had a glass of wine while I did my taxes, no regrets there. I'm sooo close to being done - just need one piece of info from my parents (their accountant did my 2015 return) and I can file and get the moneyz.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

This morning I hit snooze and lay in bed for a few extra minutes, but ended up getting up pretty much at 5am.

Even though I was feeling tired and a little crampy, I went to the gym for sports conditioning class (after whining to fiance about it) and feel great after. Eating my packed breakfast now nomnomnom. After today all the Mediterranean leftovers should be gone, so no more hummus and rice to eat up. More veggies are a-comin'. 

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

WEEK 1 DAY 4

Got up at 5am. CHECK

Went to morning conditioning class even though I didn't feel like it CHECK.

Breakfast: balsamic beef, hummus, garlic sauce, rice. Had a tiny bite of chocolate.

'Snack': 1/2 glass of wine

Dinner: slice of mozzarella with a piece of pita and olive oil, 1/2 glass of wine

CHECK

Finished my taxes, yay! Now just have to do the city ones and I'll be donnnne. I didn't intend for that to be my dinner, but wasn't hungry after so didn't eat anythign else. Not a superb eating day, but I didn't go overboard on anything which is a win.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Nice! You are killing it!

And yay for being done your taxes - ughhhhh I have to get started on that this weekend. Because we have a little home business, it's a giant pain and I've been putting off doing inventory...

But tax refunds are a delightful thing!

Follow up on the coffee conversation - I forgot to have my morning coffee yesterday, and was soooooo confused when I had a wicked headache all morning. Right. Caffeine withdrawal.

• Like 2

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

WEEK 1 DAY 5

Image result for bunnies wake up gif

Slept in until 6AM since I had an evening workout planned, and was feeling especially tired/low energy (yay hormones). Good enough.

Spin class CHECK

Breakfast: Half a Larabar, popcorn

Lunch: eggplant, meatballs with tomato sauce

Snack: chocolate

Dinner: salad with ginger dressing, salmon-avocado-cucumber roll

CHECK

It was definitely a rather indulgent day, but not bad for cramping enough to mess with my sleep. If I hadn't planned to meet a friend at spin class I probably would have bailed, but it was a great (free!) workout. First time eating popcorn since pre-W30. They have free popcorn Fridays at work, and if I can limit myself to one bag/week aka don't buy any for home then I can live with that. 

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Haha breakfast of champions! But beyond that it looks like you ate well for the day, which is particularly impressive during shark week. Good job!

Making workout plans with friends is by far the best way to make yourself go. I am a huge believer in the buddy system :)

• Like 1

Level 20

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

WEEK 2 DAY 7

Image result for sleepy hamster gif

Weekend! Slept in until 7:30. Effectively I've already hit this goal for the week.

Spin class #2 CHECK

Breakfast: potatoes, scrambled eggs w/Parmesan

Post-WO: apple, few sips of coffee

Lunch: chicken with guac

Dinner: hummus, pita, dipping oil, doner kebab, rice, green beans

CHECK

Still a little lacking on the vegetables front. Breakfast was actually pretty light (didn't eat a lot of the potatoes because I had to go to spin). I went car shopping in the afternoon, and because I ended up buying a car (red Prius!) it took way longer than planned. So we were ravenous at dinnertime. Went semi-healthy with Mediterranean (were this close to having Italian), and wolfed down pita/oil/hummus because HUNGRY. We were also both tired at that point, which definitely wore on willpower. My stomach felt bloaty immediately, either because gluten/legumes or just because it reacts poorly to being kept waiting and then rapidly stuffed. At least i stopped eating when full, brought home leftovers (more meat and veggies than hummus and pita), so I don't feel to bad about it.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

@Fonzico Thanks! Yeah this week I confirmed I'm an Obliger (per Gretchen Rubin's writing/categorization), which means that I am much more motivated by external commitments than internal ones. Buddy system is majorly helpful.

@Xena Hahaha I see you over there trying to help me run more. I'm signed up for the marathon relay first weekend of May, which will be 6-7 miles. I don't know if I find a 5k motivating because I know I can finish without training at all, ha. But I'll think about it. Maybe I can find someone to sign up with me and push my pace.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Random Notes and Celebrations:

• I've been tempted lately to start drinking early (mimosas, a glass of wine at lunch or in the afternoon...not before work of course), but if I have a workout scheduled later then it makes the choice for me. I may have a drink later, but starting earlier leads to drinking more.
  • The marathon jacket that Mom bought me after my November race was a bit tight when I got it, but now fits really well YAY
  • Went to spin class three days in a row! Though my knee was bothering me a bit today, so it's good I don't have another one scheduled til next Saturday.
  • It's a beautiful day outside today. That is all.
  • I love my "new" car. I think her name is Stella. Committing to taking better care of this car than the last one.
  • Even though my car cost at the high end of my planned budget (and it's painful for me to let go of that much money at once), at least I was able to put 1/3 of the price on my credit card (POINTS!). I resisted the dealer's 'service program' upsell. I also got ~$1k off the dealer's stated price, and held my ground when he didn't want to drop the last $500. I'll admit my dad helped a bit, but he left the main conversation up to me, and I HATE negotiating (maybe because it feels too similar to conflict?) and I count it as a win. Overall I paid a few thousand under Blue Book value, and my dad felt like I got a good deal, and I bought it within the time frame when insurance will pay me back for the sales tax (assume they do this to encourage me to buy a car? and maybe a more expensive car because I know I'll get sales tax back? so they get to increase insurance payment...). But anyhow I had been dreading car shopping, and now it's done -- just have to finish the DMV paperwork to transfer license, etc.
  • Almost done with my Sunday meal prep. Also cleaning the sink. And watching Bridget Jones' Baby. Don't judge!

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

WEEK 1 DAY 7

Image result for sleepy sloth gif

Weekend! Slept in until 7:30. Effectively I've already hit this goal for the week.

Spin class #3 CHECK

Breakfast: potatoes, scrambled eggs, slice of bacon, coffee

Lunch: leftover kebab, rice, veggies, hummus, 2 pcs pita

Pre-dinner: 1 glass champagne

Dinner: hummus, chicken

Post-dinner: 1.5 glasses wine

CHECK

Lots of adulting! Meal prepped cut peppers, cooked chicken sausage, pulled pork, cabbage, steamed carrots, hard boiled eggs (in the instant pot and peeling them was SO EASY), potatoes. Also bleached/cleaned the kitchen sink.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

WEEK 1 WRAPUP

Image result for sleepy animals gif

Oops I forgot I said 7am on weekend. I 95% hit this goal. Gave myself an extra hour of sleep Friday, and an extra half hour each Saturday and Sunday. Close enough. 

CHECKITY CHECKITY CHECK. 2 strength & conditioning classes, 3 spin classes, 1 Spartan workout, and 1 mini yoga session.

I was definitely leaning a little unhealthy this week, but made it through without any "f-it" eating or drinking occurrences, so I will call it a success.

I weighed in about the same as a week ago (down a couple fractions of a pound), but down ~1% of body fat. I'll take it.

It's encouraging because this level of eating is definitely sustainable (vs W30). If I just eat my darn veggies then I should continue to make progress.

I've been meditating weekday mornings and I think when my Headspace runs out in a few days I'm not going to keep it going. His voice is starting to annoy me, I'll go back to Calm.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Nice! Slow progress that you can actually sustain is by far the best way to go - it is awesome that you are starting to find some balance!

Great job getting all of your workouts in this week - seriously, you do a lot. I feel very lazy in comparison.

• Like 1

Level 20

WEEK 2 DAY 1

Image result for yay shower puppy gif

This is not relevant but I like it

CHECK.

Feh. I walked for a bit in the afternoon with fiance, but in the morning my leg was hurting so I skipped my planned run, and in the afternoon it just...didn't happen. Should have fit more walking in, didn't even make 10k steps.

Breakfast: chicken sausage, potatoes

Snack: peppers

Lunch: 2 half sandwiches, chips, broccoli cheddar soup

Dinner: pulled pork, cabbage

Snacks with small group: wine (2 small glasses), cheese, crackers, grapes

So I felt pretty UGH about this at the end of the day, but looking back at it actually feel better about my choices (for once). I did slip at lunch, I ordered a meal for  work teammates last minute and picked Panera for speed. My carbs were high but I didn't overeat, and I saved my cookie for Tuesday. I partook in the evening snacks put out by my host, but didn't go crazy because I was full from dinner. Could have done better overall, but not going to beat myself up over it. Especially because I got more veggies in. Moving on, planning Tuesday to be healthy meals plus cookie.

I did feel bloated this morning, so that motivates me to clean up my eating in general.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

5 hours ago, Hiroro said:

So I felt pretty UGH about this at the end of the day, but looking back at it actually feel better about my choices (for once). I did slip at lunch, I ordered a meal for  work teammates last minute and picked Panera for speed. My carbs were high but I didn't overeat, and I saved my cookie for Tuesday. I partook in the evening snacks put out by my host, but didn't go crazy because I was full from dinner. Could have done better overall, but not going to beat myself up over it. Especially because I got more veggies in. Moving on, planning Tuesday to be healthy meals plus cookie.

I did feel bloated this morning, so that motivates me to clean up my eating in general.

Chugging right a long!  Well done.  And try not to beat yourself up too much over your minor slip.  Like you said you did not overeat.  If it makes you feel any better, I had all the slip ups on the weekend, eating wise.  The bloat was real Monday and still carrying over a bit today.  

Also listen to your body and if something is hurting that is out of the norm, muscle pain is normal when I think of working out, then do what you can and be happy with that.  Remember a body in motion stays in motion!  I have to remind myself of this sometimes when I feel like just sitting on the couch all morning.  The more I sit on the couch the more it makes me feel like that's all I'm capable of doing, which is far from reality.  

• Like 1

Hitting the reset button! Let's GO!

Previous Challenges: 1 2