• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Br0din

Br0din prepares for Ragnarok, part två

On 2/18/2017 at 5:05 PM, Curl Brogo said:

Is whole 30 just the bastard love child of paleo and keto?

It's not keto at all. (You could do it keto if you wanted to, but it's not necessary. I've been eating potatoes and squash daily.) It's just paleo, but a little stricter.

No added sugar or fake sugar. No alcohol. No grains. No legumes. No dairy.

http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

• Like 1

That's my biggest beef with paleo, the no legumes. I can understand no dairy. And I can understand no gluten, but I will never get behind no legumes.

I have read why people don't eat them and I just can't in good conscious agree. Plus, if lentils are wrong I don't want to be right. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

It's not keto at all. (You could do it keto if you wanted to, but it's not necessary. I've been eating potatoes and squash daily.) It's just paleo, but a little stricter.

No added sugar or fake sugar. No alcohol. No grains. No legumes. No dairy.

http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

I stand by my comment.

Paleo liked keto for his thoughtful, disciplined, and well researched approach to limiting carbs to increase fat burning while keto liked paleo for her free spirit of embracing natural foods that reduce inflammation.

They had a brief fling and keto knocked paleo up and whole 30 was born inheriting his mothers fondness for natural food and his fathers discipline.

Ultimately, keto couldn't deal with being around carbs at all and left leaving paleo to raise whole 30 by herself, which is why the influence of keto is not as apparent.

• Like 3

That's my biggest beef with paleo, the no legumes. I can understand no dairy. And I can understand no gluten, but I will never get behind no legumes.

I have read why people don't eat them and I just can't in good conscious agree. Plus, if lentils are wrong I don't want to be right. 

I actually think legumes are one of the foods giving me issues, unfortunately. Everyone is different 😊

20 minutes ago, calanthrophy said:

After reading the rule sheet it looks to me more like Paleo's angry math teacher.

I think it's half intended to be a kind of elimination diet. I could be wrong. But it's like, eliminate everything that could possibly offend your system for a month and see how you feel. 

Then again I know someone who is allergic to beef. And another friend where chicken sends her blood sugar through the roof. So even Whole 30 won't help some people. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Most science based paleo peeps are ok with legumes, as long as you soak them for 12 hours before hand OR pressure cook them. This breaks down the lectin content and makes them gut friendly (high lectin load beats up the intestines much like gluten).

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Blocky said:

Most science based paleo peeps are ok with legumes, as long as you soak them for 12 hours before hand OR pressure cook them. This breaks down the lectin content and makes them gut friendly (high lectin load beats up the intestines much like gluten).

I'm with you on soaking the beans and pressure cooking them. Whenever beans cause problems for me it's because i under soak or under cook them and canned beans are usually fine.

But i can eat gluten for sure. Seitan, pure gluten protein, causes me no problems. Neither do any whole grains.

On 2/20/2017 at 9:30 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

Probably TMI, but I avoid lentils and most beans because of intense gastric emissions to the point of refusing to be in public D: It's very very sad to me because I LOVE lentils love love love

(But I mean, I'm aware that's an individual issue...)

• Like 3

Weekend/Week update:

Lifting was weak.  I failed a lot of lifts in the last week.  I'm going to repeat my bench cycle but I'm going to significantly reduce my front squat numbers probably to 225lbs as that is about what I'm struggling with right now.  So, I'm going to finish up my deload 1/2 week today.

Nutrition is stalled.  I need to get better at tracking.

I got a follow up massage on Monday.  She was able to get 1 of my traps to release... but the other trap is still balled up.  So...  should I take a couple of rest days and medicate and massage or just suffer in silence...

2 minutes ago, Br0din said:

I got a follow up massage on Monday.  She was able to get 1 of my traps to release... but the other trap is still balled up.  So...  should I take a couple of rest days and medicate and massage or just suffer in silence...

+1 for medicate and massage. SMR? Ask the Mrs to car buff it maybe? 

Pu98F1M.gif

There's always hot yoga too... I hear horrifying things about it that people really like it...

XjLfoFa.gif

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Br0din said:

I should do the hot yoga.  but...  its really hot...

I'm pretty timid about it for that reason. It's great to get a warm stretch in, the heat to relax the muscles... but in that case I feel like it's really easy to over stretch and possibly get hurt. Maybe it's just a personal bias because I've had some hyper mobility problems in the past... but give me a hot tub+sauna any day.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RedStone said:

I'm pretty timid about it for that reason. It's great to get a warm stretch in, the heat to relax the muscles... but in that case I feel like it's really easy to over stretch and possibly get hurt. Maybe it's just a personal bias because I've had some hyper mobility problems in the past... but give me a hot tub+sauna any day.

I did it before for about a 3 weeks... then I pulled my lumbar doing squats.  So, was it the hot yoga adding too much to my lifting or did I have major issues already and I was ignoring the signs...  almost 3 years later...  I'm leaning to the later.  $15 for a drop in...  I will have to do it.  

• Like 2

I did it before for about a 3 weeks... then I pulled my lumbar doing squats.  So, was it the hot yoga adding too much to my lifting or did I have major issues already and I was ignoring the signs...  almost 3 years later...  I'm leaning to the later.  $15 for a drop in...  I will have to do it.  

Please report back! Curious minds... 

Tell me what you think. I think you can be trusted to push past your timid, people pleasing habits and tell me what it's actually like. I anticipate wall to wall hipsters in jeggings.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Tell me what you think. I think you can be trusted to push past your timid, people pleasing habits and tell me what it's actually like. I anticipate wall to wall hipsters in jeggings.

wuuuuut no one wears jeggings to hot yoga!

i hope.

br0 - do you think cutting weight has maybe something to do with stalled lifts?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Laghail said:

I actually liked Bikram Yoga.  I was miserable at first, but once I stopped caring about the sweat rolling down my body...  I enjoyed it.  You don't wear "a lot" in Hot Yoga.  Guys wear short shorts (I never saw ranger panties short... but If I was 30 lbs lighter...) and the Ladies wear sports bras and shorts/yoga pants.  Either way, lots of skin is shown.

3 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

wuuuuut no one wears jeggings to hot yoga!

i hope.

br0 - do you think cutting weight has maybe something to do with stalled lifts?

I think the 1 week of being sick and doing nothing was more impactful... but I was already hitting my current limits of my front squats, so being sick exasperated the issue.  

• Like 2

I've been medicating and resting for the last 2 days...  Lots of muscle relaxers and stretching.  Weight loss is still stalled, but that is probably cause of pills causes changes in my digestion.

I'm debating if I should start up the heavy today, or do one more day of rest.  I guess how long I'm stuck at the car dealership to turn my car in for warranty will determine that decision.  I think I'm going to do some Bikram tomorrow.

Image result for mlp do better

• Like 3

Goddamn it you're cool br0.

Help me out, the hot yoga def will help with increased flexibility, but does it contribute to weightloss? Wouldn't it just be water loss that gets replenished afterwards?

3 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Goddamn it you're cool br0.

Help me out, the hot yoga def will help with increased flexibility, but does it contribute to weightloss? Wouldn't it just be water loss that gets replenished afterwards?

I was the Leanest I've ever been when I was doing it 2-3 times a week for 3 weeks.  Some of it was water...  but I drank a ton of water afterwards.  So I think it was the increased calories of the burn that made the change.

• Like 2