• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

JustCallMeAmber

JustCallMeAmber just does the things

Recommended Posts

On 3/7/2017 at 9:10 AM, CourtnieMarie said:

hmm. the lack of weight loss could be so many things. slow metabolism due to long term cutting in your past? how do your measurements look? is 1750 actually a cut number for you, depending on you height, weight, and intensity of workouts. technically macro breakdown shouldn't really matter at this point

I spent some time going over my notes. My highest point last year was in July at 146 and it went down in fits and starts to 140 just before Christmas and it has bounced around that mark since. Occasionally higher by as much as 4lbs but never lower than that. Lost about 1.5" off my waist, and sitting at 27.5% BF according to calipers. So I have made some progress, it just has stalled over the past 3 months. (I think that stall is where my rant stemmed from, just that feeling of spinning my wheels.)

 

I played around with iifym calculator earlier. Based upon 29/140lb/5'7" sedentary and 4 'moderate' intensity at 45 minutes each, that put me at 18ish tdee and around 1500 to lose. I flamed out when I tried 15 during my last deload week, but I suppose I could always split the difference and aim for 1600 to see if that helps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How accurately are you tracking your calories? 

 

Also, someone, I can't remember who now. Was talking about a friend/trainer/person who could only seem to lose weight within a very specific range, which in that person's case was 1900-2000 calories. It seems like it is really hard to accurately measure calories and we often overestimate portions. You may need to do some trial and error research to figure out what your body needs. And it may end up being a tight window. Which is kind of what I am seeing for me anyway. 

 

And with hormonal/bloat/salt/water fluctuations it may take up to a month to see the fruits of your labor and be able to look at trends. I'm tracking daily weight and calories and my weight fluctuates by about 4 pounds so even aiming for weight loss of 1# per week OR LESS, I have to wait weeks to see what is working. Stick with it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so it actually sounds like you're in a pretty lean place already and may need to really tighten up some stuff (as TZ mentioned) to lose more body fat. sorry if I missed it, but is your goal to lose more body fat? see a six pack?

 

edited to add: how long have you been cutting? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

How accurately are you tracking your calories? 

 

Also, someone, I can't remember who now. Was talking about a friend/trainer/person who could only seem to lose weight within a very specific range, which in that person's case was 1900-2000 calories. It seems like it is really hard to accurately measure calories and we often overestimate portions. You may need to do some trial and error research to figure out what your body needs. And it may end up being a tight window. Which is kind of what I am seeing for me anyway. 

 

And with hormonal/bloat/salt/water fluctuations it may take up to a month to see the fruits of your labor and be able to look at trends. I'm tracking daily weight and calories and my weight fluctuates by about 4 pounds so even aiming for weight loss of 1# per week OR LESS, I have to wait weeks to see what is working. Stick with it! 

I track with (I think) a reasonable amount of accuracy for the most part. I weigh a lot of it because it is so hard to eyeball, even just the difference in something like 4 ounces of chicken versus 4 ounces of steak/tuna. I am less precise in how close to my target I get though. Average buffer is probably 50-75 of 1700. May try tightening that down a bit before lowering overall calories just to see what happens.

 

I'm a daily weigher too. But I usually only "count" Sunday since that, for whatever reason, tends to be the lightest reading of the week. But it amazes me how much it can fluctuate! Patience is not necessarily my strong suit, but I guess this is one of those "marathon, not sprint" things. At least I have stubbornness on my side! Thanks!

 

4 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

so it actually sounds like you're in a pretty lean place already and may need to really tighten up some stuff (as TZ mentioned) to lose more body fat. sorry if I missed it, but is your goal to lose more body fat? see a six pack?

 

edited to add: how long have you been cutting? 

Yes, I'm trying to lower body fat. Not to the point of seeing abz, but more so that my jeans fit comfortably again. I figure on about 10% margin of error on the calipers, since they tend to underestimate, so I'm probably more like 30%. (Been meaning to compare that to tape measure estimates, but apparently the Navy and I have a very different definition of 'hips' ;)

I've been cutting Inconsistently since July 2016. Some weeks ran closer to 1900-2000, some 1600-1700. More or less depended on how I was feeling at the time it seems.

Spoiler

(Originally started at 154 June 2014 and dropped to 130 in Sept 2015 and stayed there for a few months. Put on weight fairly steady once I started barbell training in January 2016 until I hit the oh crap button in July at 146.)

My goal when I started was to find a place where I was happy with the way that I felt and the way that I looked. I guess that's still the ultimate goal, but with the added goal of being strong :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

curious. on paper, you are doing everything right! but as people have said sometimes there is a weird range that you need to find. you might even need more calories, not less. bodies are weird, yo.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

curious. on paper, you are doing everything right! but as people have said sometimes there is a weird range that you need to find. you might even need more calories, not less. bodies are weird, yo.

 

obviously there are a lot of factors but that seemed to happen for me. i struggled with my MFP goal set to 1850-1950 but once I set it to 1800 BAM. Maybe that number helps me portion/control food better because I have less wiggle room? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

curious. on paper, you are doing everything right! but as people have said sometimes there is a weird range that you need to find. you might even need more calories, not less. bodies are weird, yo.

 

8IbbSfcFx6jPq.gif

I'll keep experimenting! Just have to trust that there IS a place where I will lose weight consistently, just a matter of finding it.

22 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

 

obviously there are a lot of factors but that seemed to happen for me. i struggled with my MFP goal set to 1850-1950 but once I set it to 1800 BAM. Maybe that number helps me portion/control food better because I have less wiggle room? 

That sounds like a good place for me to start. Having a more solid target will at least make it easier to math adjusting up or down, if 1700 isn't the right number for me. (Or I have some sort of epiphany and suddenly, it all makes sense. A girl can dream, can't she? :D)

 

Thank you both for your input and help! :)

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

 

That sounds like a good place for me to start. Having a more solid target will at least make it easier to math adjusting up or down, if 1700 isn't the right number for me. (Or I have some sort of epiphany and suddenly, it all makes sense. A girl can dream, can't she? :D)

 

Thank you both for your input and help! :)

 

 

It just feels annoying when only a 50 calorie difference seems to be the tipping point for my body to suddenly start letting go of fat. It's maddening! :highly_amused:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

 

It just feels annoying when only a 50 calorie difference seems to be the tipping point for my body to suddenly start letting go of fat. It's maddening! :highly_amused:

YES

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

 

It just feels annoying when only a 50 calorie difference seems to be the tipping point for my body to suddenly start letting go of fat. It's maddening! :highly_amused:

Yeesh. That sounds like quite a balancing act.

1DjNPF32WzbGw.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Week 4 summary.

  •  Resume Cut. 5/7. Scored based on same metrics as previous weeks. Will be using hard target of 1700 for next cycle.
  • Walking. Everyday. 10 minutes minimum, with bonus for 8,000 steps. 4/7. Probably would've made more of an effort to walk if I'd realized I hadn't 'missed' any days save not taking separate walks on days where I ran/worked outside. Ah well. This should be easier now that we'll have more daylight in the evenings and the house guests have left.
  • Mental Health. Self-kindness; warrior affirmations/ reading more/ windows down/sunroof open sing-along. 5/7.
    • Also, re: work stress?  Goal: focus on ONE THING at a time. Ok.
  • #YogaEveryDadgumDay. Yep! Did not do as much in the early evening hours as I would have liked, but consecutive streak remains unbroken.

 

Challenge wrap-up. I did (most of) the things. Room for improvement. Going to carry all of these forward to the next round, with some minor changes I think.

 

Zero week!

XMxPoXBNpjrRC.gif

Cat sprints more gracefully than I do..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now