• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ChirpyBird

How to Break It...What Do I Do?

I really want to try the paleo diet, but have been vegetarian for almost 10 years now. I'm sick of being in a carb overload as my body can't handle being full vegan (so I eat fish still, just no red meat or poultry) even with supplements, I was unable to, and my doctor told me to not try being vegan after seeing my bloodwork while I was. As you may know from my other posts or my bio, I have two major health issues stopping me from full, intense workouts - or at least the kind most people do to lose weight and stay fit/tone - and am overly frustrated that I can't do what I'm used to anymore. I'm not overweight, but it's been about a year since this diagnosis when I had to stop regular workouts, and I've gained about 10 pounds. That isn't as big of a concern to me as the feeling of being blobby and gross as everything loosens up.

Here's my issue, though: my husband is full vegan, and boy do I get a guilt trip when I eat fish (which I've always eaten the entire time I've been vegetarian, but he's started giving me guilt ever since he went full vegan). I've talked to him more than once to tell him that he's upsetting me and making me feel bad, but it doesn't work; I still get the guilt trip. I love animals so much, and HATE how they're treated, but I need to do what is right for my health...it's just that if he gives me that much crap for a year for eating fish because he doesn't believe in it, I can only imagine the things he might say to me if I go paleo and eat meat again. 

Any suggestions on how to handle this/things to say? Thanks in advance, guys!

You don't have to be 'high carb' when vegan - the majority of carbs in beans & lentils for example are resistant starch and fiber. As for balancing your love of animals, some suggestions: eggs, dairy, and fish (since you're already eating it) from sustainable ethical producers. If you're not down with poultry or red meat, don't eat it! I only eat meat about once a week, and was vegan/vege for 12yrs before I reintegrated even that much. I still get 80-100g of protein, under 150g carbs, and lots of tasty tasty veg.

What is it specifically about a vegan diet that your doctor is recommending against? I mean, lots of veggies with beans/lentils/eggs/dairy is a great diet for the vast majority of people, subject to individual needs/deficiencies (may need a b12 tablet) and medical complications.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Defining said:

You don't have to be 'high carb' when vegan - the majority of carbs in beans & lentils for example are resistant starch and fiber. As for balancing your love of animals, some suggestions: eggs, dairy, and fish (since you're already eating it) from sustainable ethical producers. If you're not down with poultry or red meat, don't eat it! I only eat meat about once a week, and was vegan/vege for 12yrs before I reintegrated even that much. I still get 80-100g of protein, under 150g carbs, and lots of tasty tasty veg.

What is it specifically about a vegan diet that your doctor is recommending against? I mean, lots of veggies with beans/lentils/eggs/dairy is a great diet for the vast majority of people, subject to individual needs/deficiencies (may need a b12 tablet) and medical complications.

Wait, I'm confused, I thought beans were a no-go for the Paleo Diet?

33 minutes ago, Defining said:

This!

Also, I think you have your terms confused. Vegan is no animal products whatsoever, no eggs or dairy. That is the reason most doctors recommend against it, because without any animal products whatsoever, there are some nutrients your body does not get or are very hard to get, so you need supplements.

Vegetarian is no animal meat, including fish.

A diet devoid of poultry and red meat, where you still eat fish, is called pescetarian.

Oh, okay. Well, thing is, I WANT to go Paleo. I don't mind eating meat again, it's just how my husband will react and make me feel if I do. I guess my initial post is a little confusing on what I was trying to get advice for haha!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Miw_Sher said:

I think @Defining was just suggesting you could go low-carb on a vegetarian diet without going Paleo. :)

This ;) Though sprouted beans & lentils are acceptable to some paleo folks.

Honestly, if you're wanting to reintegrate meat and your husband isn't supportive....that's really more a question about how you want to mange your relationship, rather than your diet. If you began your marriage with the same values on what you choose to eat, and over the course of your own health journey your priorities have changed, then he either needs to get on board, or the two of you need to communicate in order to develop a system where everyone's needs are satisfied. Simple (but not easy) suggestion - sit down and have a frank conversation about what needs to happen for both of you going forward.

@Miw_Sher I know the different terms, but most folks don't ;) and so I try not to complicate things more than necessary for simple convos. I mean, we could get into a semantics debate if vegans eat honey, or insects for that matter.... Or how someone who eats eggs, dairy, and fish is TECHNICALLY a ovo-lacto-pescatarian. :victorious:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Defining said:

This ;) Though sprouted beans & lentils are acceptable to some paleo folks.

Honestly, if you're wanting to reintegrate meat and your husband isn't supportive....that's really more a question about how you want to mange your relationship, rather than your diet. If you began your marriage with the same values on what you choose to eat, and over the course of your own health journey your priorities have changed, then he either needs to get on board, or the two of you need to communicate in order to develop a system where everyone's needs are satisfied. Simple (but not easy) suggestion - sit down and have a frank conversation about what needs to happen for both of you going forward.

@Miw_Sher I know the different terms, but most folks don't ;) and so I try not to complicate things more than necessary for simple convos. I mean, we could get into a semantics debate if vegans eat honey, or insects for that matter.... Or how someone who eats eggs, dairy, and fish is TECHNICALLY a ovo-lacto-pescatarian. :victorious:

I'll start with a discussion with him and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice! :)

• Like 1

@Miw_Sher I know the different terms, but most folks don't  and so I try not to complicate things more than necessary for simple convos. I mean, we could get into a semantics debate if vegans eat honey, or insects for that matter.... Or how someone who eats eggs, dairy, and fish is TECHNICALLY a ovo-lacto-pescatarian. :victorious:

Fair. Though here I wasn't trying to be pedantic, I was pointing it out because I thought it may be a source of miscommunication with her doctor. (Seen it before)

Anyhow I second everything else above on your relationship. Otherwise, you could also read up on the Eskimo diet. It's basically Paleo but with tons of fish instead of meat.

Inviato dal mio SM-G930F utilizzando Tapatalk

• Like 2

Hi, @ChirpyBird! I wanted to know if you and your husband had that conversation! I was curious as to if you and your husband's decision to go vegan was rooted in a desire to respect animal's rights. If so, I'd second what @Defining said about buying meat from local, ethical farmers (if you decide to reintegrate it.) I also wanted to share an interview with you from the Joe Rogan podcast with Tovar Cerulli. He was once a vegan for ethical reasons, then became a hunter after doing research and realizing that even his vegan lifestyle was doing more harm than good. It's a fascinating interview, and worth a listen. If you aren't familiar with Joe Rogan, he can come across as abrasive, but it's definitely worth a listen. It's definitely NSFW, so be mindful of where you listen! 

Hope you guys can discuss it in a way that benefits both of you!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chris Atomz said:

Hi, @ChirpyBird! I wanted to know if you and your husband had that conversation! I was curious as to if you and your husband's decision to go vegan was rooted in a desire to respect animal's rights. If so, I'd second what @Defining said about buying meat from local, ethical farmers (if you decide to reintegrate it.) I also wanted to share an interview with you from the Joe Rogan podcast with Tovar Cerulli. He was once a vegan for ethical reasons, then became a hunter after doing research and realizing that even his vegan lifestyle was doing more harm than good. It's a fascinating interview, and worth a listen. If you aren't familiar with Joe Rogan, he can come across as abrasive, but it's definitely worth a listen. It's definitely NSFW, so be mindful of where you listen! 

Hope you guys can discuss it in a way that benefits both of you!

Hey! I really appreciate the info! I will listen to that interview when I get home from work. Thank you! :D 

Yes, he's still iffy about it, and upset that we did this vegetarian thing for ethical reasons together 10 years ago, and now I'm "giving up on it" but I keep telling him, it still bothers me, but I have to do this for my health. I can't eat fish with every meal for protein, so local farmed chicken that are treated well shouldn't be an issue, but I can tell with him it still is. Not sure what more I can tell him! Maybe he can listen to the interview, too. He likes Joe Rogan!

What did your doctor see in your blood work that caused you to feel like you had to start eating fish? I'm not second guessing your doctor, he is a doctor. I'm just curious on how knowledgeable your doctor was about the vegan diet. 

Do you want to be vegan but feel like you can't? And since you feel like you can't be vegan does paleo seem like the replacement you need to get your diet in order?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

What did your doctor see in your blood work that caused you to feel like you had to start eating fish? I'm not second guessing your doctor, he is a doctor. I'm just curious on how knowledgeable your doctor was about the vegan diet. 

Do you want to be vegan but feel like you can't? And since you feel like you can't be vegan does paleo seem like the replacement you need to get your diet in order?

No, I was never vegan. I was pescaterian, so already ate fish. When I tried vegan for one month, it really messed with my levels, especially my B-12, and that was even on supplements, so I just went back to pescaterian. I decided to do paleo because I wanted to cut carbs, and I can't eat fish and eggs for each meal to get protein, which I'm losing by cutting out the meat substitutions, beans, etc. When those are cut out in my diet, I'm left with just vegetables, fish and eggs, and my doctor said that would not be healthy for me, so I decided to add chicken back into my diet, but only chicken from a local farm that is treated humanely and butchered here in town. I've done a ton of research on places like that and have finally found one I am going to try.

6 minutes ago, ChirpyBird said:

No, I was never vegan. I was pescaterian, so already ate fish. When I tried vegan for one month, it really messed with my levels, especially my B-12, and that was even on supplements, so I just went back to pescaterian. I decided to do paleo because I wanted to cut carbs, and I can't eat fish and eggs for each meal to get protein, which I'm losing by cutting out the meat substitutions, beans, etc. When those are cut out in my diet, I'm left with just vegetables, fish and eggs, and my doctor said that would not be healthy for me, so I decided to add chicken back into my diet, but only chicken from a local farm that is treated humanely and butchered here in town. I've done a ton of research on places like that and have finally found one I am going to try.

I gotcha, it's all starting to make sense now. :) There were some missing pieces that I wasn't putting together. Mainly about your key thing being cutting back on carbs. 

I feel you on having food variety. I don't buy much beef because of cost. And I don't really care for fish or pork. So I end up having to make all kinds of fun recipes to keep myself from getting sick of chicken and eggs. 

I was a long time vegetarian, for two of those years I was vegan. i stopped for medical reasons but it didn't have anything to do with a lack of nutrients. I have kidney disease and at the time I quit the veg life I had started dialysis and needed excessive amounts of protein but low potatssium/phosophorus, which tofu and beans are loaded with. So I understand the issues are complex with diet. 

I could go back to it now, but my husband has diabetes and for his sake I try to stick with meals that are moderate on the carbs. I do still make a vegetarian meal about once a week because I prefer tofu/legumes to meat. It has to do with taste though, not ethics. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I gotcha, it's all starting to make sense now. :) There were some missing pieces that I wasn't putting together. Mainly about your key thing being cutting back on carbs. 

I feel you on having food variety. I don't buy much beef because of cost. And I don't really care for fish or pork. So I end up having to make all kinds of fun recipes to keep myself from getting sick of chicken and eggs. 

I was a long time vegetarian, for two of those years I was vegan. i stopped for medical reasons but it didn't have anything to do with a lack of nutrients. I have kidney disease and at the time I quit the veg life I had started dialysis and needed excessive amounts of protein but low potatssium/phosophorus, which tofu and beans are loaded with. So I understand the issues are complex with diet. 

I could go back to it now, but my husband has diabetes and for his sake I try to stick with meals that are moderate on the carbs. I do still make a vegetarian meal about once a week because I prefer tofu/legumes to meat. It has to do with taste though, not ethics. 

Yeah, plus if I eat fish with every meal, it will get really bad for me (everything in moderation!), plus I'll start to smell like a harbor HAHA! I'm not interested in red meat much because one time, at a Buffalo Wild Wings (they suck so much lol), I ordered a black bean burger and they gave me a real one. I'd been vegetarian for many years at this point, and after eating a few bites I thought something was weird, but didn't notice at first bite or glance because their toppings are basically always smothered all over so you can barely taste the thing anyway. I got three bites in, felt the taste was off and investigated to find real beef. Irritated, I had them take it back and they got me what I really ordered. By the time I got home I felt really sick, and actually threw up from it. Since then the thought of red meat has kinda made me shudder. I have the same aversion to other foods that have made me sick/throw up, so no surprise there. 

So I decided bringing poultry back into my diet was the key. I truly do care about the ethics side of things, how these animals are treated, but I have to put my health first. Besides, I was vegetarian because they AREN'T treated humanely, but now that I've found a place I can get humanely treated meat, well, that just makes sense to me when it comes to needing it anyway. :P 

I believe everything in moderation is important, even though I didn't follow that for years and snacked and ate like crazy. I finally told myself to cut it out and get healthy, otherwise I'm going to really regret it later in life, and soon. I had so much inflammation in my body that I was constantly sick with many ailments, some of which only affect people 25-30 years + older than me! I had a colonoscopy in my twenties because of it, and have to have another this year. I refuse to go on their horrible medication for what I have, after seeing what it's done to my dad, so that's another boost in the right direction to up my game with my diet and exercise to hopefully reverse the inflammation, which is no doubt not helping the issues I also am having with my knees. 

• Like 1

Vegetables, fish, and eggs. That sounds like what my daily staple meals used to look like. But I replaced the eggs with strong cheeses because trying to stuff down six eggs a day was just not working for me no matter how I tried to disguise them.

I disagree with everything in moderation. I prefer quality in excess and limitation of the substandard.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1