• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rooks

Heavy Bag Preference and Tips?

3 posts in this topic

I was originally going to post this is in the Gear Questions sub-forum, but figured it might be better here since Monks are the people who would primarily hit something.  I'm in the process of trying to find a decent used heavy bag for my basement gym, and I'm curious on a couple things.

First, what sort of weight do you guys prefer?  I'm seeing anywhere from 40lb to 100lb bags.  

Second, is there anything to be careful of?  I know previously I had one (like 10 years ago, was one of my roommates) where the sand or whatever was in the bag seemed to get really hard near the bottom, so I was wondering if there was something I needed to take better care of it or that I should check for before buying one.  

On 2/13/2017 at 2:11 PM, Rooks said:

I was originally going to post this is in the Gear Questions sub-forum, but figured it might be better here since Monks are the people who would primarily hit something.  I'm in the process of trying to find a decent used heavy bag for my basement gym, and I'm curious on a couple things.

First, what sort of weight do you guys prefer?  I'm seeing anywhere from 40lb to 100lb bags.  

Second, is there anything to be careful of?  I know previously I had one (like 10 years ago, was one of my roommates) where the sand or whatever was in the bag seemed to get really hard near the bottom, so I was wondering if there was something I needed to take better care of it or that I should check for before buying one.  

I like the 100-pound bag. It's pretty well-rounded, and you can really go to town on it without it flying all over the place.

You could probably call a nearby Title Boxing Club to ask if they sell any of their used bags. We usually replace bags once they start tearing, and our club sells them for something like $100 bucks. Duct tape usually takes care of the wear problem.

1 person likes this

On 2/13/2017 at 1:11 PM, Rooks said:

I know previously I had one (like 10 years ago, was one of my roommates) where the sand or whatever was in the bag seemed to get really hard near the bottom, so I was wondering if there was something I needed to take better care of it or that I should check for before buying one.  

Sometimes this is just gravity causing the contents to settle. Taking the bag down and rolling it about to un-settle it can fix it.

1 person likes this